PDA

View Full Version : Kinda confused or ??????

gbkubfan
08-05-2019, 06:06 PM
OK. I was reading the description on the 3 Legacy boxed sets on Amazon and read this on all 3 descriptions:
Contains 1 of 2 new Triple Live album sets exclusive
So my confusion or question is, are the 2 covers exclusive to set only available in the set? Does that mean their are 8 covers total with 6 being offered as stand alones? Will their be a special edition and will that make it 9 covers for Triple Live?
I know, to many questions. But I am laid up with foot injury and learning to get use to dialysis. My mind gets to thinking.
So if this is true and their are 8 or 9 covers. That means I will have to buy an extra boxed set and hope for both exclusive covers besides trying to track down 6 other covers and maybe a special edition. And will he do the same as Double Live and add covers when they hopefully sell out?

Skywise
08-05-2019, 06:08 PM
too many subsets of questions for cover collection!

who knows- that's one reason I got out of the 'cover searching' game and concentrate on first editions, regular editions, and the music itself only

rhd13
08-05-2019, 06:45 PM
OK. I was reading the description on the 3 Legacy boxed sets on Amazon and read this on all 3 descriptions:
Contains 1 of 2 new Triple Live album sets exclusive
So my confusion or question is, are the 2 covers exclusive to set only available in the set? Does that mean their are 8 covers total with 6 being offered as stand alones? Will their be a special edition and will that make it 9 covers for Triple Live?
I know, to many questions. But I am laid up with foot injury and learning to get use to dialysis. My mind gets to thinking.
So if this is true and their are 8 or 9 covers. That means I will have to buy an extra boxed set and hope for both exclusive covers besides trying to track down 6 other covers and maybe a special edition. And will he do the same as Double Live and add covers when they hopefully sell out?

Garth explained this on one of the Studio G's if I'm not mistaken. I think this is how it goes (lots of emphasis on the phrase "I think" HA!)

The way I understood it is there are 6 different vinyl covers from Triple Live. They are: Ryman Auditorium, Yankee Stadium, 6 time CMA Entertainer of the Year, 7 Diamond Celebration, White Out, and Comeback. He described that there are a possibility of two in each set. In other words, 2 of those are assigned to the Limited Edition set, 2 are assigned to the Analog sets, and 2 are assigned to the Remix/Remastered set. So if you ordered the 3 box sets you should be getting 3 different covers automatically. Again, this was how I understood what was said.

He did not address if these different covers would be available for the CDs when Triple Live is released as a stand alone later.

Brett Dale
08-07-2019, 12:28 AM
Another question which i hope belongs here.

Are we certain that the bonus tracks are the ones that were on the 1998 Limited series??

And that Triple Live in ther legacy boxset will contain the 27 songs that were on the fan mix?

LostSessions
08-07-2019, 12:42 AM

Are we certain that the bonus tracks are the ones that were on the 1998 Limited series??

And that Triple Live in ther legacy boxset will contain the 27 songs that were on the fan mix?

I believe that we will have new bonus songs on the CD’s only. Don’t know if the 1998 songs will be on vinyl or not.
This edition of Triple Live will be changed up to add to the TL fan mix with other songs. Could be a whole new set list but there will be more songs per vinyl and CD I believe.

rhd13
08-07-2019, 02:32 AM

I’m not sure we are certain of anything because Garth hasn’t actually said. The idea that the bonus tracks are from The Limited Seeies from 1998 is because if you close up on the Amazon page you can see tracks listed on CDs. Those ‘98 bonus tracks are there but nothing else. Whether these are actual pictures of the discs in the set or a stock photo who knows.

As far as Triple Live, we are definitely getting more tracks at some point, but whether those tracks are in the Legacy set or not is anyone’s guess. I don’t think Garth has said one way or another. He has said there will be “bonus tracks” on the CDs, but whether that includes new Triple Live songs has not been confirmed.

Emerald Isle
08-07-2019, 02:50 AM
I’m not sure we are certain of anything because Garth hasn’t actually said. The idea that the bonus tracks are from The Limited Seeies from 1998 is because if you close up on the Amazon page you can see tracks listed on CDs. Those ‘98 bonus tracks are there but nothing else. Whether these are actual pictures of the discs in the set or a stock photo who knows.

As far as Triple Live, we are definitely getting more tracks at some point, but whether those tracks are in the Legacy set or not is anyone’s guess. I don’t think Garth has said one way or another. He has said there will be “bonus tracks” on the CDs, but whether that includes new Triple Live songs has not been confirmed.

I’m starting to think the Legacy Triple Live may not have any extra tracks. Didn’t he say this week that the sets have been put together and are making their way through customs to the US? Well if that’s the case then Dive Bar, Much Too Young, and other songs that he’s been recording at recent shows very likely are NOT on the Legacy Triple Live, since he would not have had time to mix and master and doctor them up in the studio, master them for CD and vinyl, then cut the vinyl, and the produce all the sets and pack them. So, it’s my assumption that the Triple Live we’re getting in the Legacy set will be identical to the version in last year’s Anthology. Hope I’m wrong, but I just don’t see how he’d have had enough time to do otherwise.

Skywise
08-07-2019, 02:56 AM
I believe that we will have new bonus songs on the CD’s only. Don’t know if the 1998 songs will be on vinyl or not.
This edition of Triple Live will be changed up to add to the TL fan mix with other songs. Could be a whole new set list but there will be more songs per vinyl and CD I believe.
you know, it sounded like we'd have new songs on the CD's, but the pictures we 've seen paint at diff. picture- at this point, I'm really unsure, and not all too sure that we will get songs we haven't heard before..

gbkubfan
08-07-2019, 04:27 AM
I am wondering when we will get a copy of the 25th anniversary edition of No Fences. I am thinking he will release it someday to just help the numbers for the album. And isn't next year the 30th anniversary of that album? Or will he wait to see how vinyl does and maybe do another Legacy type box with his albums in order. I know he has several in the current boxed set for Legacy but he's made us buy extra copies before why stop now. But I would love to have a copy of this album for my collection. And with No Fences having a boost in numbers from Legacy, I could see him giving the set another boost next year. With FUN and Triple Live lots of opportunity to pad his numbers and get No Fences up there with Eagles Greatest Hits and Michael Jackson's Thriller and Eagles Hotel California. There is also the idea of having most double Diamonds. Who knows. The days are counting down and hopefully we will have all 3 soon to enjoy or complain about.

rhd13
08-07-2019, 11:42 AM
I’m starting to think the Legacy Triple Live may not have any extra tracks. Didn’t he say this week that the sets have been put together and are making their way through customs to the US? Well if that’s the case then Dive Bar, Much Too Young, and other songs that he’s been recording at recent shows very likely are NOT on the Legacy Triple Live, since he would not have had time to mix and master and doctor them up in the studio, master them for CD and vinyl, then cut the vinyl, and the produce all the sets and pack them. So, it’s my assumption that the Triple Live we’re getting in the Legacy set will be identical to the version in last year’s Anthology. Hope I’m wrong, but I just don’t see how he’d have had enough time to do otherwise.

Emerald, I actually think you are exactly right for the reasons you stated. My thought is it might be possible that there are other tracks besides "Much Too Young" or "Dive Bar" that were recorded earlier and put on these sets. However, I don't think that is likely either. I believe he would be hyping that element that there are songs on this version of Triple Live that are available nowhere else. He hasn't done that. He has just said there are "bonus songs" on the CDs. My best guess is the bonus songs are nothing more than the one extra track on each studio album that is from the original 1998 Limited Series and that Triple Live is the same version that came out in the Anthology. My belief is that the bonus tracks on Triple Live will come when he releases the stand alone editions (or maybe bundled editions with Fun or something else). I really hope I'm wrong!!!

The one "gimmick" I will fall for is if he releases different covers for the Triple Live CDs. I honestly hope he releases the 6 covers that are on the vinyls on the CDs as well. I would actually buy all of those. I have all 11 Double Live covers (the first 7 that were released I actually have autographed). I find those different covers a really cool collectors item. However, I WILL NOT buy tons of Legacy sets trying to score the 3 vinyl covers I don't get in my box set.

rhd13
08-07-2019, 11:51 AM
I am wondering when we will get a copy of the 25th anniversary edition of No Fences. I am thinking he will release it someday to just help the numbers for the album. And isn't next year the 30th anniversary of that album? Or will he wait to see how vinyl does and maybe do another Legacy type box with his albums in order. I know he has several in the current boxed set for Legacy but he's made us buy extra copies before why stop now. But I would love to have a copy of this album for my collection. And with No Fences having a boost in numbers from Legacy, I could see him giving the set another boost next year. With FUN and Triple Live lots of opportunity to pad his numbers and get No Fences up there with Eagles Greatest Hits and Michael Jackson's Thriller and Eagles Hotel California. There is also the idea of having most double Diamonds. Who knows. The days are counting down and hopefully we will have all 3 soon to enjoy or complain about.

My gut feeling is he won't release that 25th anniversary edition of No Fences. I mean it is possible that he releases a 30th anniversary edition, but I don't really expect that either. The hype surrounding that edition, before it got shelved, was the "FILP" version with Strait, Aldean, and FGL. That got released on the Ultimate Collection box set. Since that got released I think that takes care of us getting an anniversary edition.

Based upon what we've seen I think he has turned his attention to these vinyl box sets. I mean, he actually pushed back the Anthology sets, Triple Live and FUN to get this set out there. It seemingly came out of nowhere and I think that is because he recognized it is a trend he could capitalize on (since his music isn't available on vinyl) AND he can force feed us 42 discs at once and really try to pad those RIAA numbers. It's cynical to say, but I think it's true.

I think we will get a Legacy 2 set and it will at least have Garth Brooks, Ropin' The Wind, Sevens and Scarecrow. That takes care of the original core eight studio albums. I'm not sure what else would be in the set. I mean he could do Man Against Machine, Gunslinger and/or Fun. Who knows? However, I absolutely think a second vinyl set is coming.

nyyankfanken
08-07-2019, 12:25 PM
When this Legacy collection was 1st announced, I got excited like I do for every Garth release. Now as it gets closer and I'm only seeing the same 1998 Limited Series tracks on the cds that excitment fades by the day. I would be shocked if Triple Live Legacy is anything different then the digital release or Anthology cds. Hook, Line, and sinker he got us again. This time not one new track! Oh look a shiny box and poster! Yay

Emerald Isle
08-07-2019, 01:43 PM
My gut feeling is he won't release that 25th anniversary edition of No Fences. I mean it is possible that he releases a 30th anniversary edition, but I don't really expect that either. The hype surrounding that edition, before it got shelved, was the "FILP" version with Strait, Aldean, and FGL. That got released on the Ultimate Collection box set. Since that got released I think that takes care of us getting an anniversary edition.

Based upon what we've seen I think he has turned his attention to these vinyl box sets. I mean, he actually pushed back the Anthology sets, Triple Live and FUN to get this set out there. It seemingly came out of nowhere and I think that is because he recognized it is a trend he could capitalize on (since his music isn't available on vinyl) AND he can force feed us 42 discs at once and really try to pad those RIAA numbers. It's cynical to say, but I think it's true.

I think we will get a Legacy 2 set and it will at least have Garth Brooks, Ropin' The Wind, Sevens and Scarecrow. That takes care of the original core eight studio albums. I'm not sure what else would be in the set. I mean he could do Man Against Machine, Gunslinger and/or Fun. Who knows? However, I absolutely think a second vinyl set is coming.

I agree, I think the 25th No Fences is dead. But I think he absolutely will release a 30th Anniversary edition next year, whether it be an expanded release or just an Amazon only thing like he's been doing with the 2-3 anniversary editions of TC and IP the last few years. Gotta get NF to double diamond you know! ;)

As for Legacy II, I could see him releasing that next year to strike while the excitement for vinyl iron is hot, with exactly the albums you mention. Maybe Lost Sessions too unless he throws Double Live back in there. And while he's focusing on those late 90s albums, he should also release Anthology II. But I guess we'll see.

One thing is for certain, though --- you won't hear much about FUN, because the old stuff is where it's at, apparently. SMH!

gbkubfan
08-07-2019, 02:05 PM
Could Legacy 3 be the Christmas albums, Chris Gaines and the various greatest hits. Get them out on vinyl.

Emerald Isle
08-07-2019, 02:21 PM
Could Legacy 3 be the Christmas albums, Chris Gaines and the various greatest hits. Get them out on vinyl.

The Christmas albums? Maybe someday. But I seriously doubt you will EVER see Garth re-release anything Chris Gaines related ever again.

garthcop
08-07-2019, 04:54 PM
He sure does seem to mention Chris Gaines stuff a lot the last 6 months on Studio G though.

rhd13
08-07-2019, 05:15 PM
He sure does seem to mention Chris Gaines stuff a lot the last 6 months on Studio G though.

This is very true. I still have my doubts he’d reissue that record. I’d love for him to revisit that era. One of my favorite Garth records.

Emerald Isle
08-07-2019, 06:06 PM
This is very true. I still have my doubts he’d reissue that record. I’d love for him to revisit that era. One of my favorite Garth records.

Agreed. I've always thought that It Don't Matter to the Sun would be a great housekeeping song! But even when he's talked about that era, it's usually been with a "wading into forbidden territory" sort of tone and he almost always changes the subject rather quickly, so...

Brett Dale
08-09-2019, 12:26 AM
Im not a collector so Im not to excited about different covers for the cd's, but ewach to their own.

Ive blown up the pics on amazon, it appears to me there is only 11 songs on In Pieces, but there appears to be 12 on The Chase.

gbkubfan
08-09-2019, 04:04 AM
I wonder how Legacy is selling? I have been watching the rankings on Amazon and it keeps moving up after moving down for a few days. Does that mean it is still selling or just less people buying albums above him? It would be cool if people are buying it. I wonder if he will produce more if this batch sells out. And how many did he print of the unnumbered sets. He doesn't have to produce a million like individual albums because he has them certified individually instead of a boxed set. I just hope he gets a lot of sales for soundscan. Only 24 million to hit 100 million. The RIAA will be interesting with their numbers since that is based on shipped not sales. Plus he hasn't certified most of his catalog since 2006. I wonder when the Beatles will certified theirs. They won't move up soundscan much since that is based on sales and they aren't doing as well as I thought with Yesterday. But they can ship a lot of records for the RIAA. Will be very interesting to see how both artists do. I have been talking up Garth at my dialysis treatments, to my bus drivers that takes me to dialysis and most people I know. I have been giving extra copies of my albums to several friends who really didn't know Garth. We don't have a record store here for new stuff so it is hard to purchase new Garth albums here. But I do go to the used record store to trade for Garth stuff and give the albums a new home...lol. A little more than two months to start the party. I hope he does a nice display at retailers like Target and Wallyworld. That would definetly help sales. I can envision a display with all his catalog, the boxed set and announcing the Triple Live and FUN albums.

Skywise
08-09-2019, 12:28 PM
Is this where I break in and say (while shaking my head) that part of my dreaming last night was getting a look at the cd cases (actual) for Legacy, only to see that there WERE songs I'd never heard of on there before but before I could get to a camera to take a photo of the songs / post on PG... I woke up..

Scarecrow
08-09-2019, 01:45 PM
Im not a collector so Im not to excited about different covers for the cd's, but ewach to their own.

Ive blown up the pics on amazon, it appears to me there is only 11 songs on In Pieces, but there appears to be 12 on The Chase.

It looks that way but it is because 2. Somewhere Other Than The Night is long so it takes up two lines

rhd13
08-10-2019, 01:58 PM
He doesn't have to produce a million like individual albums because he has them certified individually instead of a boxed set.

I know you are fascinated by the numbers (just like I am) so I thought I'd clarify this. You may understand what I'm about to say and if that is the case just ignore what I write HA! I also could have misunderstood what you were trying to say here.

The certification can be done in two different ways with a box set. Each individual album can be certified OR you can certify the box as a whole.

If he chooses to certify each individual album he actually has to ship that many copies of that individual album. For instance, when The Ultimate Collection came out there were 10 different discs in that set. We know that he shipped a million copies of that box so therefore every album in it technically moved 1 million copies. That is the strategy he chose to use for certification as well. He had every disc in that set certified Platinum except for "The Road", which was a 2 disc live album, and he had it certified Double Platinum.

He could have chose to have the box set as a whole certified 10 times Platinum (Diamond) if he wanted to do that because the set moved a million copies and there were 10 discs in it.

This is what makes the Legacy set really, really interesting. Let's say he moves 1 million copies of the actual box (not the individual discs) he could have The Legacy box certified at 14 times Platinum because each box has 14 discs (7 vinyl/7 CDs). However, if he sells a million copies of the box and he chooses to have each individual album certified separately it will only count as 1 million per disc. Since there are CDs and vinyls that would add 2 million to each studio album and 6 million to Triple Live if he moves 1 million copies of the box.

It all boils down to his strategy. Since it appears he wants to have The Chase, In Pieces, etc. moved up to Diamond level it only makes sense that he will have each one certified individually. To do that he actually has to move that many copies of that album. Since each box has 2 copies of each album if he's looking for a platinum certification for each album he has to move half a million. If he's looking for a double platinum certification he has to move a million copies, etc. Of course, we have to also take into account how many copies those albums have sold between certifications. If an album has sold 900,000 copies toward the next certification (ie. it is sitting at 9,900,000) then moving 50,000 boxes would get him the Diamond certification.

It all depends on the strategy he has in mind (which appears to be each individual album not the set for certification) and how many copies away from getting the next certification level he is.

gbkubfan
08-10-2019, 08:12 PM
Yep. I understand. I am hoping he does individual certification to help those discs go Diamond. Especially getting No Fences over 20 million for Double Diamond. I really think brtween the Ghost Tunes bundle, the individual promotion of TC, IP and more recently Fresh Horses plus TUH plus the Amazon stuff, he will get those albums over the mark So next year he will start working on the rest of his catalog. I think his sale of CDs at concerts and when he was in Vegas should also help. I bought a copy of TUH at the Paso concert and would have bought a second one if the concessions hadn't closed (my friend wanted a copy). So I think he has accomplished the Diamond and Double Diamond goals. I think he wants the 200 million tag and 100 million tag on soundscan. We will definelty know in four months or so. Now the question is, will the Billboard chart rank the boxed set as a whole or each individual album? I am guessing boxed set.

Scarecrow
08-11-2019, 02:49 AM
Does soundscan count each individual disc or the whole box set? i know riaa counts individual.

gbkubfan
08-11-2019, 03:35 AM
Soundscan counts entire product as 1. Double Live was one sale not 2 so Triple Live would be 1 sale not 3. RIAA does it different and in the article I posted in Over seas sales, the guy explain how Garth works around the RIAA rules for certification. Soundscan also doesn't wait for certification. A sale is what goes into the cash register not shipped. That is why Garth is at 74 million since the soundscan era started in 1991. He is #1 seller since then. Followed by the Beatles, Metallica and Mariah Carey. To hit the 100 million mark first he will have to sell a lot of music in the coming months. I don't see a problem with RIAA numbers since he will ship a million of FUN, Triple Live and probably the boxed set. Triple Live will end up with around 3 million depending on how many covers and first edition is released, Fur a million unless he does special edition and a bundle and if he releases 1 million boxed set, that should be 42 million. Plus he hasn't cetified most music since 2006 and Christmas Together. So he is close to 200 million with just those numbers.

Brett Dale
08-11-2019, 08:56 PM
Be great if Garth could jump to 200 Million on RIAA, my only worry is, the media will tear him a new one, and talk about how he manuplitivces the system. There will be a backlash.

Thats why I hope he will give soundscan his latest number. He never did give them the numbers from Ghost Tunes right?

gbkubfan
08-11-2019, 11:35 PM
Media is always negative but Garth seems to be teflon. They jumped all over Thunder Rolls, Chris Gaines, making more money than grandkids need. It goes with territory. You are going to have haters. Beatle lovers will complain. I think a little competition is good for the business. If Garth passes Beatles, then I am sure there will be a spurt in sales for the Beatles. Pricing advertising etc. The one area they will need to work on is Nielsen Soundscan. From 1991, Garth has been a head of the Beatles. This based on music sold and only one sale for any number of discs. No double sale for Double Live. Garth leads them by a couple million and will certainly raise that with sales of the upcoming projects. He may get heat for RIAA but soundscan you can't argue with. But like I said, overall it is good for record business. Garth can hype numbers then Beatles can hype numbers. That will lead to Garth re-releasing his catalog a different way and the race is on for 300 million. He seems to weather controversey just fine and who cares what some press says. His concerts are doing very well. He seems to be selling music even with a lack of product on shelves except what he wants out their. More Diamond awards, double Diamond awards and maybe a push for No Fences to get near the magic 33 million copies sold. No Fences in every box set. LOL. I will support him and keep collecting.

Skywise
08-12-2019, 09:31 AM
Be great if Garth could jump to 200 Million on RIAA, my only worry is, the media will tear him a new one, and talk about how he manuplitivces the system. There will be a backlash.

Thats why I hope he will give soundscan his latest number. He never did give them the numbers from Ghost Tunes right?My thought when I read this was.. will they though? will the media consider garth worth railing on about and ripping into actually?

rhd13
08-12-2019, 10:29 AM
My thought when I read this was.. will they though? will the media consider garth worth railing on about and ripping into actually?

I don't know if the media will actually rip him either. To be honest, I think the average folks in the media have no idea how the whole thing works.

Where I do think he could get ripped if he passes The Beatles is by more music industry insider types or really die hard music fans. Those people understand how this works and I think they will view this differently.

The average joe music fan out there has no idea how the RIAA works (if they even know what the RIAA is), nor do they really care and I think that is what he is banking on.

gbkubfan
08-12-2019, 10:42 AM
Plus they will be more in awe that he passes 200 million. That he has 10 or so Diamond Awards. That he passes the Beatles. I think this will be the big one. I saw an article somewhere asking why the younger generation ignores the Beatles. The one mark that is unargueable except for the fact people had to buy the same music is the sales mark on Nielsen Soundscan. 74 million is impressive. I really thought the Beatles would be selling a lot more with the releases of Yesterday (the movie). But the sales amounts were low and didn't make a major impact. Garth may resell his catalog but his touring helps the sales. So yes, most fans and people won't worry or know how he got his records and he clearly played by RIAA rules. But people do buy his music.

gbkubfan
08-12-2019, 10:44 AM
This article seems to explain things in some ways.

https://chartmasters.org/2019/01/garth-brooks-albums-and-songs-sales/

rhd13
08-12-2019, 11:07 AM
I saw an article somewhere asking why the younger generation ignores the Beatles. The one mark that is unargueable except for the fact people had to buy the same music is the sales mark on Nielsen Soundscan. 74 million is impressive. I really thought the Beatles would be selling a lot more with the releases of Yesterday (the movie). But the sales amounts were low and didn't make a major impact.

I know you are REALLY wanting Garth to pass the Beatles at hit the 200 million mark. I understand that. However, I just don't agree with some of the statements about the Beatles.

The Beatles are like Star Wars. They are the single most popular music act that has ever been. For the decade of the 2000-2009 they were the #2 act in sales behind only Eminem and their greatest hits album "1" was the #1 selling album of that decade.

Even in 2018 they were ranked as the #53 artist on Billboard's 200 Album Artists chart. They were ahead of other mammoth artists who have released new music in just the last year or two like Metallica, Blake Shelton, Keith Urban, Adele, Carrie Underwood, Florida Georgia Line, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Kenny Chesney and Sam Hunt just to name a few.

There is also their place in the streaming world. This week they are ranked as the #98 artist in the world on Spotify.

All this for a band that hasn't recorded a note of new music since 1970!!!

I get that Yesterday may not have boosted their album sales by much, but I'd put money it has enhanced their place on streaming services and enhanced their legend.

As far as SoundScan, I understand that Garth leads them on SoundScan, but as I said in a previous post, SoundScan started in 1991 and basically covered ALL of Garth's massive sales. The Beatles had been inactive for 21 years when it started and it covered NONE of their best selling years. Despite that they are still the #2 act of all-time on SoundScan and the last numbers I saw showed they were only 3-4 million behind Garth.

I just think this talk of the Beatles demise among the younger generation is a little premature.

rhd13
08-12-2019, 11:53 AM
One other point and then I will hush. I am all about perspective and I think we need some on these RIAA numbers. In the history of the RIAA and American music only 23 acts have surpassed 50 million in certified album sales. (Garth needs 52 million to hit 200 million.) That means that Garth has to move as many units as U2 has sold in their ENTIRE CAREER in the US. Garth has to move those 52 million units at a time when albums don't sell like they did in the 90s, at a time when he is not as commercially popular as he was in the 90s, and when he chooses not to stream (which does count towards RIAA certification).

I am not saying he can't/won't do it. I am sure there are some albums in his catalog that are probably under certified or close to hitting a new certification mark. The big thing though is I think we are going to get a box set every year for the next decade with multiple discs and there were be an attempt to actually get the retailers to buy those boxes at super low prices (just like we have seen) in order to guarantee they sell a certain amount. Is it possible, yes. Is it an uphill battle even with the box set trickery, absolutely.

Just remember that, he's got to move as many records as U2 did in their entire career (in the US) to hit the 200 million mark. I think he may get there, but I think it's going to take a lot of box sets to do so.

Emerald Isle
08-12-2019, 01:49 PM
Absolutely agreed!! If you peruse the RIAA site (https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?tab_active=awards_by_artist#search_section), and look up the Beatles, you'll notice that really only a handful of their albums have been certified since 2010. The rest haven't been certified in decades, some since the mid-90s. Since that time there have been several re-releases of almost every album (i.e. 2009 mono and stereo remasters and recent super deluxe editions of Sgt Pepper, White Album, & next month's Abbey Road, and various vinyl re-releases), streaming, iTunes & other digital sales, etc etc etc. When Apple finally gets around to recertifying the entire catalog, I bet you will see HUGE jumps in the Beatles' RIAA numbers.

If Garth certifies next year and by some miracle of a chance actually passes the Beatles, you can bet your gluteus that Apple will get off its duff and re-certify the entire Beatles catalog and the Beatles would once again be out front by a wide margin.

It's a nice fantasy thinking that Garth will one day pass the Beatles, but, like Ryan, I just don't see it happening. If Garth's NEW albums were as popular now as his old albums were in the 90's, then maybe. But they're not, and Garth doesn't seem to have enough confidence in his own new stuff to make it happen. Instead, he seems hell-bent on re-selling us his old stuff in as many formats as he can muster (digital, boxed sets, books, vinyl, and probably another greatest hits package next year or 2021). If that's his strategy, okay, but at some point folks are gonna decide they have enough copies of FILP and Rodeo.

gbkubfan
08-12-2019, 04:49 PM
I agree on the RIAA numbers, Garth has a high road to follow. Shipments is a big deal and they can ship a lot of catalog for the Beatles with 48 albums. But I think Garth is doing great on Soundscan. Since that is done in real time. But nobody thought Thriller could be passed and Eagles did it. I really don't understand why Garth won't do a ticket bundle at concerts. I would love to see a concert only album. That would be cool and really jack up the numbers. I don't buy he doesn't want to be like others. I personally think he's scared that nobody will purchase a concert bundle since sales are recorded by start of concert tour. But anyways, I am enjoying the race for 200 million and 100 million. It will be close.
As for so many repeats on catalog I think back to the 60's and 70's. My father and step mother bought every album released by Tammy Wynette and Johnny Cash. Most of them had the same songs but were titled The furthur hits, Cash sings the prison songs or Tammy sings the breakup songs. They'd play them over and over. I think that's why I took so long to embrace country music. Everything was Tammy or Cash. This was for other singers and it made it easy to buy birthday and Xmas gifts. Just find another Cash or Wynette release.

gbkubfan
09-01-2019, 11:45 AM
So I know I am a little slow on this. But looking at Legacy on different retail sites, I notice that they are selling numbered sets and unnumbered sets. Does this mean Garth has a million numbered sets made as well as who knows how many unnumbered sets. Does that mean Legacy will have shipped 42 million or more with numbered sets? How many unnumbered sets will he ship? This will be quite interesting for RIAA purposes. If he decides to get everything certified. Wow. Neilsen Sound Scan will also be interesting. He won't get way far ahead since they only count as one unit sold but with the recent push on The Chase, In Pieces, The Ultimate Hits, No Fences, and with the holidays approaching Christmas Together he can get a lot of sales counted. Plus if they set up end caps for his catalog. Wow again. I wonder if he will certify when Legacy is released or wait for holiday season to quiet down. Will he wait until after Black Friday? If it doesn't sell well will it go on sale real quick?

Emerald Isle
09-01-2019, 12:36 PM
I imagine it’s a million total, with a certain portion of those being numbered and the rest unnumbered.