PDA

View Full Version : Not To Beat A Dead Horse

gbkubfan
08-02-2019, 08:26 PM
I know people aren't big on the vinyl release. But if they looked at it one way, vinyl is doing very well. People go by the stats for NEW vinyl sales. What they forget is most people can't get vinyl because a lot of artists don't release vinyl. So in order to get new vinyl they have to buy old vinyl. Sales at used record stores don't count to recent stats of vinyl sales. People who want Eagles, will search record stores for Eagle vinyl released in the 70's and 80's. Into Freddie Mercury, same thing. So the facts on vinyl are skewered. I have been noticing that a lot of artists are releasing their catalog on vinyl, a little at a time. So lets give vinyl a chance.

Skywise
08-03-2019, 01:10 AM
I know people aren't big on the vinyl release. But if they looked at it one way, vinyl is doing very well. People go by the stats for NEW vinyl sales. What they forget is most people can't get vinyl because a lot of artists don't release vinyl. So in order to get new vinyl they have to buy old vinyl. Sales at used record stores don't count to recent stats of vinyl sales. People who want Eagles, will search record stores for Eagle vinyl released in the 70's and 80's. Into Freddie Mercury, same thing. So the facts on vinyl are skewered. I have been noticing that a lot of artists are releasing their catalog on vinyl, a little at a time. So lets give vinyl a chance.

most of the vinyl sales figures I saw did deal with older releases.. IF vinyl is such a resurgent form of entertainment though.. why are there not more stores? why are there not more turntables and ways to play it coming out/being advertised? Vinyl is at best still a niche and realistically a dead format in today's environment (IMO)

wimpy77
08-03-2019, 02:48 AM
I got no problem with people that like vinyl but I'm it's horrible quality IMO. Best sound quality is CD. That's the reason I've never jumped on the craze.

rhd13
08-03-2019, 09:46 AM
I don't want to poo poo on anybody's love for vinyl. It is a cool, nostalgic format, but at best the vinyl craze happening is a very niche thing. In 2018 there were only 16 million new vinyl albums sold. (Yes, it is true that old vinyl releases don't get counted on the numbers. This is because old resells generate no income for artist, writers, label, etc.) Even if you double that number it is still quite small. 16 million is 12% of all albums sold, but if you factor in album equivalents, which is how they measure music consumption now, vinyl accounts for 2.7%.

Look, I'm not saying 2.7% is not significant, but this idea that everybody is sitting around in their living rooms listening to their vinyl on their old record players is just not true. Sure, there is a small percentage of people doing that for either nostalgic purposes or because they think it is hip/cool. The majority of people are streaming at this point in time. Cassettes sales are up too. Granted it is a small number, but they have grown by well over 100% the last couple of years. People enjoy nostalgia, and there is nothing wrong with that. I enjoy it too. However, vinyl and cassettes are not going to drive the market in 2019.

Garth saw an opportunity to hit a niche market while it is hot AND bundle together a bunch of albums to hopefully push through a few more RIAA certifications. Unfortunately, I think that is why he went this route and put Anthology on the back burner for 2019. It's probably a smart business move for him, but again, probably not what a lot of us on this board wanted. Just my two cents.

rhd13
08-03-2019, 10:27 AM
Skywise has said this many times before. Garth is not like other artists and is not going to do what other artists do. That is so accurate. I hate it though because I do think Garth could put his own spin on some things that would be really awesome for his more loyal fans.

I know I've said it a dozen times, but I look at what Metallica is doing with their back catalog. They are releasing a box set surrounding every album (1 a year). The last one contained 6 LPs/11 CDs/4 DVDs/a book/and several other goodies. It listed for under $150. It included a remastered version of the album (on both vinyl and CD), numerous outtakes/demos, live shows,etc. The DVDs contained documentaries and two full live shows from the era. The DVDs were so good I would have paid $150 just to get those two full shows from the era. The box sets have been amazing and every loyal fans dream. Can you imagine if Garth did something like that? We would all lose our minds in a good way. My head would explode from excitement.

I know he is very unpopular around here, but don't tell me you wouldn't love to see Garth release a live project like Eric Church's 61 Days in Church. 5 collections featuring 160 songs from his 2017 tour. It has a live version of almost every song from every studio album, 3 unreleased songs, over 60 covers, etc. It appears most of the songs are pretty raw and unedited without a lot of polish. Again, how excited would we be to get something like that from Garth? I'm not sure I could stand the excitement.

Instead, it appears we are getting songs from 21 years ago as our bonus tracks and us loyal fans are supposed to somehow be excited about that? Or we get a live album that feels highly produced with 26 tracks. With just a few exceptions all the tracks were on the first live album from 21 years ago.

It just feels like the sky is the limit with what we could be getting yet we are getting the same stuff. Again, I've said it before but the focus is just on that casual fan. There seems to be very little interest in generating excitement among those of us who actually enjoy hearing his music beyond "FILP", "The Dance" and "Unanswered Prayers".

Sorry to vent. I know some hate the criticism. I don't mean the criticism to be mean or negative. It's just I want so much more and yet we keep getting the same thing. I know some like to throw out "no one is making you buy it". I've said before that I think that is evading the real issue. As a hardcore fan, I want every release, every song, etc. I just think some artists are willing to be more adventurous and try to give the more loyal fan base things that they want. Garth just won't do that. He just wants to feed us the same few tracks over and over again. Good for him from a business perspective. I think it is bad if you want to generate excitement among your most loyal customers.

gbkubfan
08-03-2019, 11:02 AM
True spoken words. I agree. It would be nice but I don't think it is happening. So I get myself excited we are getting something because the collector in me wants to have something to do. Great post. :-)

Skywise
08-03-2019, 11:14 AM
I don't want to poo poo on anybody's love for vinyl. It is a cool, nostalgic format, but at best the vinyl craze happening is a very niche thing. In 2018 there were only 16 million new vinyl albums sold. (Yes, it is true that old vinyl releases don't get counted on the numbers. This is because old resells generate no income for artist, writers, label, etc.) Even if you double that number it is still quite small. 16 million is 12% of all albums sold, but if you factor in album equivalents, which is how they measure music consumption now, vinyl accounts for 2.7%.

Look, I'm not saying 2.7% is not significant, but this idea that everybody is sitting around in their living rooms listening to their vinyl on their old record players is just not true. Sure, there is a small percentage of people doing that for either nostalgic purposes or because they think it is hip/cool. The majority of people are streaming at this point in time. Cassettes sales are up too. Granted it is a small number, but they have grown by well over 100% the last couple of years. People enjoy nostalgia, and there is nothing wrong with that. I enjoy it too. However, vinyl and cassettes are not going to drive the market in 2019.

Garth saw an opportunity to hit a niche market while it is hot AND bundle together a bunch of albums to hopefully push through a few more RIAA certifications. Unfortunately, I think that is why he went this route and put Anthology on the back burner for 2019. It's probably a smart business move for him, but again, probably not what a lot of us on this board wanted. Just my two cents.

But Ryan..... Nope.. .actually you hit it right on the head!! Nicely put!!

Skywise
08-03-2019, 11:16 AM
Skywise has said this many times before. Garth is not like other artists and is not going to do what other artists do. That is so accurate. I hate it though because I do think Garth could put his own spin on some things that would be really awesome for his more loyal fans.

I know I've said it a dozen times, but I look at what Metallica is doing with their back catalog. They are releasing a box set surrounding every album (1 a year). The last one contained 6 LPs/11 CDs/4 DVDs/a book/and several other goodies. It listed for under $150. It included a remastered version of the album (on both vinyl and CD), numerous outtakes/demos, live shows,etc. The DVDs contained documentaries and two full live shows from the era. The DVDs were so good I would have paid $150 just to get those two full shows from the era. The box sets have been amazing and every loyal fans dream. Can you imagine if Garth did something like that? We would all lose our minds in a good way. My head would explode from excitement.

I know he is very unpopular around here, but don't tell me you wouldn't love to see Garth release a live project like Eric Church's 61 Days in Church. 5 collections featuring 160 songs from his 2017 tour. It has a live version of almost every song from every studio album, 3 unreleased songs, over 60 covers, etc. It appears most of the songs are pretty raw and unedited without a lot of polish. Again, how excited would we be to get something like that from Garth? I'm not sure I could stand the excitement.

Instead, it appears we are getting songs from 21 years ago as our bonus tracks and us loyal fans are supposed to somehow be excited about that? Or we get a live album that feels highly produced with 26 tracks. With just a few exceptions all the tracks were on the first live album from 21 years ago.

It just feels like the sky is the limit with what we could be getting yet we are getting the same stuff. Again, I've said it before but the focus is just on that casual fan. There seems to be very little interest in generating excitement among those of us who actually enjoy hearing his music beyond "FILP", "The Dance" and "Unanswered Prayers".

Sorry to vent. I know some hate the criticism. I don't mean the criticism to be mean or negative. It's just I want so much more and yet we keep getting the same thing. I know some like to throw out "no one is making you buy it". I've said before that I think that is evading the real issue. As a hardcore fan, I want every release, every song, etc. I just think some artists are willing to be more adventurous and try to give the more loyal fan base things that they want. Garth just won't do that. He just wants to feed us the same few tracks over and over again. Good for him from a business perspective. I think it is bad if you want to generate excitement among your most loyal customers.

But... but... Nope- Dang Ryan, you've done it again!! SPOT ON - Amen man!!

randa16
08-03-2019, 05:23 PM
rhd13 spot on with what you said. I would lose my shit if Garth put out what Metallica did. I have said it before and will say it again but he really missed a chance to do anthology right. I would have

- Done one album at a time
- The package covers the year
- Book for that album that covers the album, year and pics
- DVDís that cover every TV appearance he had (both performances and getting awards) concert footage for that year doing all tracks and covers, interviews and home footage.

It also could include a CD of the album and record if you wanted.

Do this for every album over the next decade and itís covers everything. Casual fans are happy and hard core fans are losing their mind

Brett Dale
08-03-2019, 11:29 PM
Agree with what's been said.

I did love the live anthology, a beautiful package, although it did center around his tv specials and the multimedia part was kinda embarrassing for a anthology, double live and triple live. (If it
was anything but an anthology it would've been fantastic)

If Garth could do a Metallica/Kiss type thing, we would be all over the moon.

Imagine concert footage/ audio from his 90's shows. Ya dont really need a concert footage from any show from the comeback tour, because its all over social media.

But those early years, yeepers!!!!!!

Why he has hold off on releasing all of this is crazy.

Skywise
08-03-2019, 11:48 PM
I did love the live anthology, a beautiful package, although it did center around his tv specials and the multimedia part was kinda embarrassing for a anthology, double live and triple live. (If it
was anything but an anthology it would've been fantastic) yeah the multimedia "part" of the anthology was kinda a joke. ya know, I agree, it was really focused around the tv specials and DL/TL. think about it though- Garth seems to think his entire live 'legacy' as it were resides in those specials- he milks them for everything he can...

If Garth could do a Metallica/Kiss type thing, we would be all over the moon. that would be a nice thing definitely. Garth could easily do what KISS did with their KISSOLOGY sets... That would entail Garth breaking his control fascination though and letting others be a bit in control. it would entail him showing some of his 'not so good' as in over produced moments. Sad thing is though - that's what some fans want to see, and Garth is either too ignorant or too timid to let it get out

Imagine concert footage/ audio from his 90's shows. Ya dont really need a concert footage from any show from the comeback tour, because its all over social media. hehe that's where a lot of my collection lies if memory serves, the world tour years from 93/94 till 98

But those early years, yeepers!!!!!! absolutely!

Why he has hold off on releasing all of this is crazy.ignorance, fear, or a lack of insight

randa16
08-05-2019, 01:26 AM
If he put out a dvd that had hours of footage from his first few years in concert I would lose my mind

Skywise
08-05-2019, 05:04 PM
If he put out a dvd that had hours of footage from his first few years in concert I would lose my mind

that would be great, but I doubt it will happen- it's one thing I'd love to see Garth take from KISS- releasing footage like that on a DVD set...

some of his early stuff is great to watch! seeing him 'cut his teeth' in the business and all

gbkubfan
08-15-2019, 11:24 PM
I saw this on Donny's page. I admit I was a big teeny bopper. I still have Osmond and Partridge Family albums.

Donny Osmond
2 hrs ∑

For all of you vinyl lovers out there, this #TBT is for you. Taking it way back to June 1971 when I released The Donny Osmond Album, my very first vinyl. Who remembers this one?

Fast forward a few years and a few dozen albums, and here I am announcing my newest vinyl release!�� I'm excited to share with you the Limited Edition One Night Only record. It's now available for pre-order, but there are a limited number for purchase. Once they sell out they're gone for good!

I think that it is cool that Donny is releasing vinyl. I wish he would do a Legacy collection. Now that Garth is releasing vinyl, I will be picking up a record player to play the old vinyl and the new. I can't wait.