PDA

View Full Version : Fun to be released End of Summer/Start of Autumn

Brett Dale
07-01-2019, 08:26 PM
According to Studio G.

Thats September???

The Fever
07-01-2019, 08:45 PM
You can say September but you can add another month or two for good measure so that's more like a November release. Just pity the people who pre-ordered a year and a half in advance.

Brett Dale
07-01-2019, 09:14 PM
Good things come to those that wait! I would say with this long long delay, there better be more than 10 songs on the thing.

Skywise
07-01-2019, 10:31 PM
hmm- will hae to listen to ISG for the full details.. However. . I've come to think of things kinda with this lens.. I wanted almost 15 years for Garth to 'come back' to recording after the retirement debacle. I waited 19 years between concerts... Yes I pre ordered in june of 2018... I can wait (easily) another few months

randa16
07-02-2019, 03:15 AM
This has been a complete train wreck from the start. What is so hard about putting out an album once a year on time? If you don’t want to put out a physical copy offer it as only a download. With all the stuff he has in the vault just pump out a dam album once a year. I agree also this album better be a 14-20 track album.

coco1997
07-02-2019, 11:09 AM
Haha, "Late Summer/Early Fall" could mean anything. I think it's safe to err on the side of it coming out in the fall (October/November) rather than any time in the next two-three months. It is ridiculous how poor the roll out of this album has been. I agree with whoever said the new album better be a long one given how light "Gunslinger" was and how long Garth has been working on it.

randa16
07-02-2019, 02:40 PM
I am to the point I may not even buy the dam album....dam wait I pre ordered it a year ago
Ok then I am to the point I may not even listen to it....no that’s a lie I would buy an album of Garth singing nursery rhymes

Sometimes being a die hard Garth fan is not easy

Emerald Isle
07-02-2019, 03:34 PM
As strange as this has been for Garth, the method of releasing 2-3 singles over a long period of time and then releasing the album at the tale end of the cycle is becoming more and more of a trend. I think the idea is to focus attention on the singles at radio, on youtube, and in streaming to make them bigger hits.

CER956
07-02-2019, 03:55 PM
I'm sorry for threadcrapping but any word on a forthcoming Anthology?

garthcop
07-02-2019, 06:41 PM
This has been a complete train wreck from the start. What is so hard about putting out an album once a year on time? If you don’t want to put out a physical copy offer it as only a download. With all the stuff he has in the vault just pump out a dam album once a year. I agree also this album better be a 14-20 track album.

I'd rather be grateful that he chose to let his fans in on some of the music a year in advance. And yes, this is the new trend for all genres of music. FGL was releasing a few singles about 9 months in advance of their latest album for Amazon Music subscribers. The alternative is to get nothing till the album releases. Which we all know is usually the week of Thanksgiving for Garth.

wimpy77
07-02-2019, 07:21 PM
I'd rather be grateful that he chose to let his fans in on some of the music a year in advance. And yes, this is the new trend for all genres of music. FGL was releasing a few singles about 9 months in advance of their latest album for Amazon Music subscribers. The alternative is to get nothing till the album releases. Which we all know is usually the week of Thanksgiving for Garth.

I'm surprised artists even attempt to release albums anymore.

gbkubfan
07-08-2019, 12:10 PM
I am happy Garth is releasing FUN at his usual time. I do miss lining up at midnight to get his new album. I hate waiting but he follows his pattern. Look at Taylor Swift fans. Its been how many years. Yet she still sells a million copies the week she releases one. The thing that amazes me is how is he going to sell FUN and LEGACY at the same time. Plus how many configuration will FUN have. A first edition? 1 added song or more? We will know more in a little over 4 months. We waited this long...

The Fever
07-15-2019, 02:28 PM
I really don't want his new album in pieces.

garthcop
07-15-2019, 09:09 PM
I really don't want his new album in pieces.

Wouldn't be his first In Pieces album;)

Skywise
07-15-2019, 09:46 PM
Wouldn't be his first In Pieces album;)
Ya know, I thought that but didn't type it out!! should have!

The Fever
07-21-2019, 08:10 AM
Saw the press conference for the Friday night's concert and he said that the album isn't ready yet and it should be in August.

Considering it's not even complete, I'm guessing it will be his usual November release.

garthcop
07-21-2019, 10:05 AM
Saw the press conference for the Friday night's concert and he said that the album isn't ready yet and it should be in August.

Considering it's not even complete, I'm guessing it will be his usual November release.

I listened to the Bobby Bones interview yesterday. He played up it being a fun, summer album. There must have been something that held it up.

Skywise
07-21-2019, 12:23 PM
kinda gonna put a lot of 'egg on his face' about the 'fun, summer' type of vibe IF it comes out in regular timeframe.. also then, you have the point about (supposedly) it being release in Dive Bar's lifetime at radio- how long is that gonna last at radio... good questions to ponder

Emerald Isle
07-22-2019, 07:20 PM
Hey, Amazon updated the name of the album on its page from "Garth Brooks' New Album" to "FUN"

No other new info like a release date or anything like that, but hey, it's at least a little progress, right? ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Pre-order-Garth-Brooks-new-album/dp/B07DTVPTVX/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=garth+brooks+new+album&qid=1563833888&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Brett Dale
08-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Just thought I will keep the "FUN" thread alive.

I guess its about less than two months from its release date, I think its deserves to be talked about.

gbkubfan
08-16-2019, 02:01 AM
It is hard to talk about something you have very little information about. Everything seems focused on Legacy. I am wondering how many copies will have been made? As for FUN. Will he sell just stand alone or will he bundling it? Will it have a special edition? Will it ship 1 or 2 million copies (1 of stand alone and 1 of special edition if there is one). I can't wait but I hope there is a couple weeks between product. I need to get another boxed set and at least 2 individual sets. Then will work on FUN and then the many covers of Triple Live.

wimpy77
08-16-2019, 03:05 AM
If I know Garth, it will be bundled.

Brett Dale
08-16-2019, 04:19 AM
I only hope there is a stand alone physical copy and he promotes the hell out of it, let it breath, release the thing in September, and give it eight weeks of full om promotion, then
if he wants to do the bundle thing with Triple Live go for it.

Skywise
08-16-2019, 09:29 AM
if there's one thing that's fairly certain, or pretty well easy to pick up from Garth's 'past' ways of doing things... he won't be doing the release of fun 'exactly as we want it'... it'll be handled his way..

rhd13
08-16-2019, 11:48 AM
if there's one thing that's fairly certain, or pretty well easy to pick up from Garth's 'past' ways of doing things... he won't be doing the release of fun 'exactly as we want it'... it'll be handled his way..

I'll be shocked if there isn't a first edition (with maybe a bonus track or two) bundled up with something else (maybe Triple Live).

Skywise
08-16-2019, 11:59 AM
I'll be shocked if there isn't a first edition (with maybe a bonus track or two) bundled up with something else (maybe Triple Live).

If Garth follows what he's done in the past (well, at least going as far back as Sevens I think)... you'll def. see some sort of 'limited edition' cover at least... I'd be happy w/ that esp if there is a bonus track or two as you mention-

Emerald Isle
08-16-2019, 12:09 PM

I’d actually be fine with that. My fear is that it’ll also be bundled with the same The Chase and In Pieces CDs that are in the Legacy set. It’s not that Garth bundles the new stuff, it’s that he usually bundles it with some form of the old stufff.

rhd13
08-16-2019, 01:05 PM
I’d actually be fine with that. My fear is that it’ll also be bundled with the same The Chase and In Pieces CDs that are in the Legacy set. It’s not that Garth bundles the new stuff, it’s that he usually bundles it with some form of the old stufff.

You are so right. It’ll be with something old.

CER956
08-16-2019, 03:14 PM
Just give me a deluxe version of FUN and I will be happy. But if the tracks that have been released so far are the highlight, then this will be my least played GB album next to Fresh Horses.

Brett Dale
08-16-2019, 09:25 PM
Reading the latest reviews for Fun at Amazon, there's been a few people that are bringing up, that the price is too expensive for so few songs, maybe Amazon and Garth
need to put out there, that more songs will be added.

garthcop
08-17-2019, 07:26 PM
Just give me a deluxe version of FUN and I will be happy. But if the tracks that have been released so far are the highlight, then this will be my least played GB album next to Fresh Horses.

Ah now. It's too early to even say that. I think we are going to be surprised. There's a reason it's taking so long. He seems excited about it every time he brings it up on Studio G.

Brett Dale
08-18-2019, 02:12 AM
Ah now. It's too early to even say that. I think we are going to be surprised. There's a reason it's taking so long. He seems excited about it every time he brings it up on Studio G.

In what way are we going to be surprised, do you think?

More than 10 songs- 12 songs would be awesome!

gbkubfan
08-18-2019, 03:06 AM
What I think is sad is how many people aren't supporting Garth. They are saying negative things, saying they won't buy album. I get it. You don't want rereleased stuff. But why be negative. Do you think Garth is going to read these and say GBKUBFAN is right, I need to change the marketing campaign I spent millions on. I see the need to vent but it seems it is a constant thing. I have been listening to these rants or whatever you call them for years and it hasn't changed a thing. Sorry, I needed to vent. I am excited to get anything from Garth. Other acts wait 2 or 3 or 4 years between new music i.e Taylor Swift, U2, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen. At least we get something every year. I love the fact I can get Anthology, a boxed set or a cd bundle for friends at Christmas. I have introduced Garth to so many people over the years. We are jaded since we are megafans who love his stuff but again, he isn't just making music for us, he is trying to attract millions of others to listen to his music. And this streaming crap. People hide their music and just play it to themselves with their ear buds on. I found so much new music when I heard music blaring out of a boom box or car player. Now I don't know who 2/3rds of the people singing or on music shows. I don't think Garth is perfect but it is his music to do what he wants. You either like it or don't. But complaining isn't going to change it. Getting off my soap box.

Brett Dale
08-18-2019, 05:11 AM
What I think is sad is how many people aren't supporting Garth. They are saying negative things, saying they won't buy album. I get it. You don't want rereleased stuff. But why be negative. Do you think Garth is going to read these and say GBKUBFAN is right, I need to change the marketing campaign I spent millions on. I see the need to vent but it seems it is a constant thing. I have been listening to these rants or whatever you call them for years and it hasn't changed a thing. Sorry, I needed to vent. I am excited to get anything from Garth. Other acts wait 2 or 3 or 4 years between new music i.e Taylor Swift, U2, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen. At least we get something every year. I love the fact I can get Anthology, a boxed set or a cd bundle for friends at Christmas. I have introduced Garth to so many people over the years. We are jaded since we are megafans who love his stuff but again, he isn't just making music for us, he is trying to attract millions of others to listen to his music. And this streaming crap. People hide their music and just play it to themselves with their ear buds on. I found so much new music when I heard music blaring out of a boom box or car player. Now I don't know who 2/3rds of the people singing or on music shows. I don't think Garth is perfect but it is his music to do what he wants. You either like it or don't. But complaining isn't going to change it. Getting off my soap box.

I know what ya mean about streaming crap. You will never discover new music that way, its great to be in someone elses car and you hear a song, and you think "Man that sounds cool"

Im just looking forward to the new album, and I hope it's a good one.

Skywise
08-18-2019, 12:51 PM
Hmm I feel called to be a 'voice of the negative' I guess- not that I'm trying to be negative in the interest of objectivity.....

What I think is sad is how many people aren't supporting Garth. They are saying negative things, saying they won't buy album. I get it. You don't want rereleased stuff. honestly for a lot of people that's the point. they don't want re-released stuff yet again.. how many times can you buy the same music over and over and over with small tweaks to remastering, or to artwork, with nothing substantial as an incentive to buy before signs point to you being a sucker or the artist (garth in this case) being only one who cares about $ (ala gene simmons) or numbers (garth apparently, from evidence).

But why be negative. Do you think Garth is going to read these and say GBKUBFAN is right, I need to change the marketing campaign I spent millions on. absolutely in some ways a good point. Why be negative? With a lot of fans who are feeling ripped off by someone they have supported for years, for those who are feeling used by Garth's constant marketing tactics, it comes across as negative and complaining sure.

I see the need to vent but it seems it is a constant thing. in many ways it is a constant thing, because Garth is seemingly constant in his rehash/rerelease/go to the well yet again philosophy.

I have been listening to these rants or whatever you call them for years and it hasn't changed a thing. I feel the same way about the retirement debacle. If you've been on PG for any length of time, you've probably heard me rant on it so I won't do that now. But 'back in the day' as it were, i feel I was a bit vocal about how garth mishandled his retirement. I was called complainer, you name it. I was complained about, and talked to, and called anything negative.. because it seemed like I was constantly railing on it.. but it hasn't changed a thing.. I still feel the way he handled his retirement was a debacle and wrong.. BUT.. it's in the past.. This too, gbkubfan, will pass..

Sorry, I needed to vent. I am excited to get anything from Garth. Other acts wait 2 or 3 or 4 years between new music i.e Taylor Swift, U2, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen. At least we get something every year. this speaks a bit to the reason people are seeming to complain a lot- people are waking up/have woken up and taken off the blinders. there are a core group of people who love his stuff, and love his music, but don't love Garth's actions...

Im' excited to get anything new from Garth too- but I'm also one who has lived through the retirement as a huge fan, and feel I was just getting into the swing of the fandom , and just 'diving in headfirst' (though I'm sure my family would say differently :) ) when Garth ripped that fandom joy away in retirement. I love that we get things a bit more quickly nowadays.. I really do.

I love the fact I can get Anthology, a boxed set or a cd bundle for friends at Christmas. I have introduced Garth to so many people over the years. We are jaded since we are megafans who love his stuff but again, he isn't just making music for us, he is trying to attract millions of others to listen to his music. That's also a reason people are angry (or seem angry).. it's not that Garth isn't wanting to expand his audience, that's admirable and it increases the fandom... What people may be upset about is more that it seems Garth is turning his back on the longtime fans to a point, and solely focusing on the newer, general fan.. (whether that comes in the form of his re releasing , or only playing the same 13-15 songs in a tour main set..) There are long time fans, and there are newbie fans... and many people in between.. Garth has seemingly narrowed his focus and let portions of his fans go off to the side w/o a care.. (is this true? probably not but I can see how that's something that can be seen.
And this streaming crap. People hide their music and just play it to themselves with their ear buds on. I found so much new music when I heard music blaring out of a boom box or car player. Now I don't know who 2/3rds of the people singing or on music shows. that's a 'child' of the lack of attention/detail/patience/me me me now type of society we have raised up in this generation. the collective populace has no ability it seems to wait, its all "we want it now"..

I don't think Garth is perfect but it is his music to do what he wants. You either like it or don't. But complaining isn't going to change it. Getting off my soap box. Agreed.. Garth's music is his, Garth is going to do what he wants, and Garth is most definitely not perfect. I agree as well, you either like it or you don't.. I think there are some who like to complain, (not nec. on PG (well not actively but I think there are a few who probably lurk), there are those who are objectively open eyed with their fandom, there are those who are devoted beyond compelling, and there are those (thankfully not as many) who are either so obsessed with him physically (another mid 2000's crowd ;) ) or so enamored with him that they are blind to the reality of the man who is their idol. Those are what I've collectively in the past referred to as 'rose colored glass wearing' fans, or 'blind' fans..

note- we're all 'true fans'.. it's just a level of fandom that is different.. which is in itself ok

Skywise
08-18-2019, 12:53 PM
I know what ya mean about streaming crap. You will never discover new music that way, its great to be in someone elses car and you hear a song, and you think "Man that sounds cool"

Im just looking forward to the new album, and I hope it's a good one.

Not a huge streamer of music, though I understand the culture of the youth nowadays who are into it, and who have grown up that way..

Agreed, also looking forward to the new album- a new album of Garth is always a joy!

Lol also, this is exactly how I was intro'd to Garths music. I was sitting in the back of a car at a college orientation in Durango, colorado. I heard Garth playing on their radio, asked who it was, was told 'that's Garth Brooks' and realized - heck, this country music thing isn't so bad! (and then BOOM- my fandom exploded over the next 4 years Garth wise)

garthcop
08-18-2019, 05:00 PM

Right on!!

garthcop
08-18-2019, 05:04 PM
In what way are we going to be surprised, do you think?

More than 10 songs- 12 songs would be awesome!

I think it'll have at least that. I just think it will be good. We know he's been working on it for a long time. I like most of the stuff that we already have access to. Courage of Love isn't bad, but it was more of a spur of the moment thing where he was taking advantage of an unexpected opportunity that he wasn't seeking out. I would consider it more of a bonus song, but not what the album will be about. And even if it's not his best album since coming back, it still won't be bad.

Skywise
08-18-2019, 05:39 PM
I think it'll have at least that. I just think it will be good. I'm hoping so too (that it'll be good.) I'm not AS much of a downer on the last two albums as some are- there are some great moments on each..

We know he's been working on it for a long time. I like most of the stuff that we already have access to. Courage of Love isn't bad, but it was more of a spur of the moment thing where he was taking advantage of an unexpected opportunity that he wasn't seeking out. I would consider it more of a bonus song, but not what the album will be about. And even if it's not his best album since coming back, it still won't be bad.

was gonna quote something, but dang- ya captured the thought well!!

garthcop
08-18-2019, 06:47 PM
Thank you;)

randa16
08-18-2019, 07:47 PM
Why rant and be negative?

- Because I have 37 copies of each album

- Because I have watched this man promise the moon and not deliver

- Because he hype’s up everything and then fails

- Because his ego will not let him go to iTunes or YouTube and hides behind songwriters BS

- Because he just never seems to give us the real fans what we want

- Because he seems more interested in new fans then old fans

- Because he is obsessed with Trisha yearwood

I love Garth and am stuck but he needs to remember where he came from and who put him there

rhd13
08-18-2019, 11:29 PM
I have talked about this in another thread before. I think there is an ENORMOUS difference between being mean/critical/negative and having legitimate criticism.

I have never understood the idea that you are not supporting an artist if you do not agree with everything they do or say. To me that is a crazy idea. I feel like if you have an opinion, and do more than follow an artist blindly, there will be times you may not like things that they do.

I have as many as 12 copies of some of Garth's albums. I think for the pre-retirement albums I have at least 3-4 of everything. Most of those have been bought because there was a different cover, bonus tracks in a boxset, or an item I wanted to collect. To be honest, I actually don't understand how anyone who has been a fan since the 90s is not sick of buying the same thing over and over again just to get a different cover or a few bonus tracks in a boxset.

The common response I see by people is if you don't want it, don't buy it. As I've said before that is such a narrow minded way to deal with this. You see, I usually do want the 6 bonus tracks in a 10 disc box set that I don't have and we get put in the position to either buy the box set or we can't get the 6 tracks. Most other artists put that stuff up on iTunes and then you can cherry pick the 6 tracks you don't have. With Garth there is no such luck. Being a fan who REALLY wants those six tracks I'll do it, but what does it say that we keep being put in that same position? It is those of us who actually care who are being put in a spot where we have to buy stuff over and over again or not get the few "new" things we get thrown our way.

You mention artists like Bruce Springsteen and U2, but do you realize the deluxe packages, live releases, etc. that those artists release? Bruce releases so much live stuff for his fans it is hard to keep up with. One of my best friends is a die-hard Bruce fan and he's always listening to something new. That is the thing. So many artists do what many of us here on this board want Garth to do. As I've said before, check out the Metallica box sets around each album or the Eric Church 61 Days in Church set with 160 live tracks from his 2017 tour. Again, if those artists can do that Garth can too. That's the thing, he won't. Instead he peddles the same thing to us while teasing a "bonus track" that ends up being something that has been available for 21 years. Or we get a live Anthology with just Double Live and Triple Live.

Again, I don't feel I'm mean. I feel like I try to be the opposite. I try to be very measured and thoughtful in my responses. I have a real reason for my frustration and I don't think that is because I'm not supportive of Garth. My 50+ concerts and entire shelf with as many as 12 copies of one album would actually say otherwise.

I just don't think it is too much to ask for him to stop trying to sell No Fences and start giving us new music or things from the vault that are "new" product.

Skywise
08-18-2019, 11:50 PM
I have talked about this in another thread before. I think there is an ENORMOUS difference between being mean/critical/negative and having legitimate criticism.
// BOOM!!!!! Mic Drop!!

I have never understood the idea that you are not supporting an artist if you do not agree with everything they do or say. To me that is a crazy idea. I feel like if you have an opinion, and do more than follow an artist blindly, there will be times you may not like things that they do. I've always likened it to two things- #1, the saying "Never meet your heroes, because they're sure to disappoint you", and the growing pains episode where Ben (yes, I know the names o the kids- yikes!) meets his rock and roll 'idol' and the guy's a total tool/jerk.., OR professional wrestling.

Does not make you any less or more of a 'true fan' or a 'real fan' (if any thing, people who are called not 'true fans' when they disagree... that shows more ignorance than anything.., it just makes you a fan who's perhaps 'wisened up' to the humanity of the artist.. (or, in pro wrestling terms, you're not nec. a 'mark' anymore.. you know the realities of the business. you've 'seen behind the curtain' to the reality as it were..

I still love Garth's music just as much as I ever have, but long gone are the days when I can say I agree with everything he's said/done...

I have as many as 12 copies of some of Garth's albums. I think for the pre-retirement albums I have at least 3-4 of everything. Most of those have been bought because there was a different cover, bonus tracks in a boxset, or an item I wanted to collect. To be honest, I actually don't understand how anyone who has been a fan since the 90s is not sick of buying the same thing over and over again just to get a different cover or a few bonus tracks in a boxset. honestly? I hear what you're saying here! I know I'm one who would much rather not have to purchase the same stuff again and again to get a few new songs... Still, if they're 'NEW' it's a hoop I'm willing to jump through

The common response I see by people is if you don't want it, don't buy it. As I've said before that is such a narrow minded way to deal with this. Amen to that!

You see, I usually do want the 6 bonus tracks in a 10 disc box set that I don't have and we get put in the position to either buy the box set or we can't get the 6 tracks. Most other artists put that stuff up on iTunes and then you can cherry pick the 6 tracks you don't have. With Garth there is no such luck. Being a fan who REALLY wants those six tracks I'll do it, but what does it say that we keep being put in that same position? It is those of us who actually care who are being put in a spot where we have to buy stuff over and over again or not get the few "new" things we get thrown our way. yep!

You mention artists like Bruce Springsteen and U2, but do you realize the deluxe packages, live releases, etc. that those artists release? Bruce releases so much live stuff for his fans it is hard to keep up with. One of my best friends is a die-hard Bruce fan and he's always listening to something new. That is the thing. So many artists do what many of us here on this board want Garth to do. As I've said before, check out the Metallica box sets around each album or the Eric Church 61 Days in Church set with 160 live tracks from his 2017 tour. Again, if those artists can do that Garth can too. That's the thing, he won't. Instead he peddles the same thing to us while teasing a "bonus track" that ends up being something that has been available for 21 years. Or we get a live Anthology with just Double Live and Triple Live. honestly, I'm not a fan of the "garth should do it, other's do" argument a lot of the time, because Garth's never been one to do things the normal way... but in this case? I'm willing to adjust my stance in the nature.. there is more he could do to broaden his impact in the live/rarity release department...

Again, I don't feel I'm mean. I feel like I try to be the opposite. I try to be very measured and thoughtful in my responses. I have a real reason for my frustration and I don't think that is because I'm not supportive of Garth. My 50+ concerts and entire shelf with as many as 12 copies of one album would actually say otherwise. my wish to be at more than the 9 concerts I'm currently standing at, and my collection of Garth stuff (mostly audio/video!) agree with ya!!

I just don't think it is too much to ask for him to stop trying to sell No Fences and start giving us new music or things from the vault that are "new" product.
****sigh I feel like I'm repeating myself but.....***

AMEN!!! ABSOLUTELY!

garthcop
08-18-2019, 11:50 PM
Then honestly, why still be a fan of his if you are always feeling disappointed? Just enjoy what he's done in the past and move on.

Skywise
08-18-2019, 11:54 PM
Then honestly, why still be a fan of his if you are always feeling disappointed? Just enjoy what he's done in the past and move on.

"Kiteo, his eyes closed" ...... (Tamarian language, from Star Trek)

garthcop, I have to ask then...

who's more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?

at what point does the pedestal break, the blinders come off, and the reality that someone can be incredible, and still make mistakes become real to you / to others?

Or do you believe that you should support everything the artist does regardless, if you are a fan?

garthcop
08-19-2019, 12:10 AM
"Kiteo, his eyes closed" ...... (Tamarian language, from Star Trek)

garthcop, I have to ask then...

who's more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?

at what point does the pedestal break, the blinders come off, and the reality that someone can be incredible, and still make mistakes become real to you / to others?

Or do you believe that you should support everything the artist does regardless, if you are a fan?

What's he doing that is so outrageous?? Granted, he hasn't lived up to the expectations we might have had coming out of retirement. But we remember why we liked him in the first place and adjust. Because we are fans. It's hard to tell who is and who isnt a fan on here sometimes. It's fine be disappointed here and there. But what's the purpose on going on and on about it. I remember following this site closely in the 90s and it was always full of exciting news and optimism. Especially when all the Chris Gaines stuff was happening. We were excited! But now mostly what you get on here is griping and moaning. Why not make this a real fan site that gives people reason to follow it. Express some disappointment some of the time, but talk more about the things he is doing and be excited about it. That's what I miss!!

Skywise
08-19-2019, 12:24 AM
What's he doing that is so outrageous?? not saying I didn't because i'm sure its possible I did, but who said anything about 'outrageous'?

Granted, he hasn't lived up to the expectations we might have had coming out of retirement. actually, I can't speak for everyone obviously, but I will the main hope I really had in him coming back was recording/releasing new music.. he's done that... (to a point :) ) so my "expectations" were met..

But we remember why we liked him in the first place and adjust. Because we are fans. perhaps.. For me, I lost the 'blinders' a long time ago, so it's not simply a matter of remembering and adjusting... It's a matter of seeing the truth of the man and being able to identify / see mistakes Garth as made for what they are.. mistakes..

It's hard to tell who is and who isnt a fan on here sometimes.
Well, since you didn't really answer, let me say it again....

It's fine be disappointed here and there. very true.. being happy and being upset w/ the focus of one's fandom are both ok really...

I remember following this site closely in the 90s and it was always full of exciting news and optimism. Can't speak totally for the site back in THAT time as I technically didn't join until I think it was sometime in the leadup to Scarecrow's release.. I will say this much though.. there was a fair amount of exciting news and optimism at the time i joined too. There was a lot.. There were also some who spent the majority of their time talking about Garth in a physical sense, etc.. it was rather well, off putting at times..

]Especially when all the Chris Gaines stuff was happening. We were excited! But now mostly what you get on here is griping and moaning. Why not make this a real fan site that gives people reason to follow it. Express some disappointment some of the time, but talk more about the things he is doing and be excited about it. That's what I miss!!
Ahh, so you are then suggesting that you have to or need to be positive and excited and happy about whatever Garth is doing? you should not really share your displeasure with what garth does, is that the main idea then?

rhd13
08-19-2019, 12:31 AM

It's a fair question and I'll answer it.

Have you ever had a close family member or friend disappoint you? What did you do? Did you quit, give up on them and remember the glory days of the past? Or did you know that the person that you once remembered was in there somewhere and you hoped that they would find themselves and get back on track?

Me, I'm loyal to a fault. I will give people chance after chance to recover from mistakes they've made or the disappointments I have in them.

I believe that the Garth of the 90s is in there. I believe he can give every single one of us what we are hoping for and wanting. That is why I'm here and that is why I continue to follow his career.

Just as you struggle to understand why some of us are frustrated with the way he does things, I struggle to understand why others aren't frustrated. Serious question, have you bought every single release he has put out dating back to his first album? If so, does it not frustrate you at all that you have bought the same albums at minumum 4-5 times?

rhd13
08-19-2019, 12:52 AM

One other quick point. I feel like this is kind of minimizing what we are saying. Honestly, the ONLY THING I’m really disappointed in is the constant peddling of old music again and again. I LOVED the tour, thought both new albums were pretty good and was pleasantly surprised in the Anthology (except for Double Live and Triple Live being included). It’s not like everything is negative from my perspective. There are a lot of positive things. I’m not the one living in the past, Garth is.

Skywise
08-19-2019, 12:53 AM
It's a fair question and I'll answer it.

Have you ever had a close family member or friend disappoint you? What did you do? Did you quit, give up on them and remember the glory days of the past? Or did you know that the person that you once remembered was in there somewhere and you hoped that they would find themselves and get back on track?

Me, I'm loyal to a fault. I will give people chance after chance to recover from mistakes they've made or the disappointments I have in them.

I believe that the Garth of the 90s is in there. I believe he can give every single one of us what we are hoping for and wanting. That is why I'm here and that is why I continue to follow his career.

Just as you struggle to understand why some of us are frustrated with the way he does things, I struggle to understand why others aren't frustrated. Serious question, have you bought every single release he has put out dating back to his first album? If so, does it not frustrate you at all that you have bought the same albums at minumum 4-5 times?

Ryan- you have done it AGAIN!!!

Honestly.. I dont' wanna try topping that cause I can't.. you have posted wisely! (thanks for sharing it!)

***addendum**** - Garthcop- I want to publicly apologize for what may be seen as a negative post towards you in this thread.. I can't delete it now and I've had a bit goign on in my world tonight that clouded the way I responded- if I was angry/came across about things as such, I apologize- Ryan had a much more appropriate response just above... I second his response

gbkubfan
08-19-2019, 03:13 AM
Great imformation from everyone. So the question now is how does Garth attract the newer potential fan and get them to sample the old music? You can crow about ITunes and You Tube so you can rip the song etc but a majority of people don't listen to music that way. Even spotify only has 1/3 of the country enrolled counting businesses. Not everyone can get a ticket to a show or he doesn't play near them. How do they discover Garth? Radio barely plays his music, new and old and people aren't listening to radio either so how do new fans get his music old and new. I am not frustrated by having more than one copy of a cd. I also have a minimum of 2 covers of each cd, not the cd, the covers. Some I actually have more. I have 25th anniversary covers, Capital covers, Pearl record covers. When Garth was at the top in the 90's and I was making better money I bought friends around 400 copies of Garth cds. I kept receipts, had a list so I wouldn't duplicate a cd and I even have over seas cds of the same stuff. But the way the music business is done has changed. We can adapt or try to stay the course. Sure vinyl isn't a major thing but downloading is way down, streaming is up and vinyl is catching on a little at a time. What I was trying to get across in my post is, don't buy the rereleased stuff, borrow the cd or whatever, do what you do to get a copy of the music you don't have. I know Garth wants a sale but a couple songs isn't going to be a bummer. Our country is so negative now. I want to enjoy my music and Garth. If I want negative I can turn on TV or read friends Facebook stuff. I come to Planet Garth to talk about Garth, his old and new music, and past Garth stuff. I don't want to read negative stuff. That is why I enjoy the Garth page on Facebook. It is concert stories, talk about new music, fan stuff. I don't recall seeing negative stuff. Maybe Garth is slow to adapt but that is his business. It is his music and he offers it in his way. Maybe if you didn't buy it, then he would change, who is to know. Maybe he will change once he reaches his goals. Or maybe he reads all this negative stuff and he will concentrate on Trisha's career and release music with her, lots of duets. :-)

wimpy77
08-19-2019, 03:56 AM
So essentially you're saying people should just blindly follow and agree with everything he does. That's not the way it works.

gbkubfan
08-19-2019, 04:16 AM
I guess so. He isn't a politician working on world peace and gun control. He's a country music singer. I know people who are still fans of Elvis, the Beatles and Frank Sinatra. They are just singers and you follow them. If they do something you don't like you quit following them if it bothers you so much. Garth is a FUN part of my life. I like talking about him, buting his music (old and new) and listening to him on disc or concert. He is like my loyalty to the Green Bay Packers. I hate when they lose but I am not going to quit watching them. They make calls, plays trades I don't agree with but I still watch their games and buy shirts and stuff. I don't expect the Packers to solve the world problems but I want Rodgers to score a hundred TD's. So its the way it works sounds like a wrong thing to say. We are fans of a country singer not JFK. He's human. If I don't like a presidential candidate then I choose to vote for someone else. That I think is a better was to talk about follow someone blindly. Garth sings songs, entertains me and I will follow him. If ever he does something that bothers me very badly, maybe I will quit listening to him. I quit listening to Toby Keith because of his negativity towards a fellow artist. I didn't go on country sites and rag on him. I just quit buying his music and watching him on TV. So yes I will follow him blindly as long as he gives me joy. As I said, he isn't a world leader, just a country singer and I can choose to listen or not. As far as agree with what he does, that is his business. He can run his business any way he wants. Again if you don't agree with his business practice, don't buy. I barely enter a Target or Wal Mart anymore. I hate self check out and they push that on people and help companies put people out of jobs. I am here to listen to Garths music old and new. I love Man Against Machine as much as I love Garth Brooks. Sure I want new music but I amcontent to enjoy what he gives me.

wimpy77
08-19-2019, 04:32 AM
I guess so. He isn't a politician working on world peace and gun control. He's a country music singer. I know people who are still fans of Elvis, the Beatles and Frank Sinatra. They are just singers and you follow them. If they do something you don't like you quit following them if it bothers you so much. Garth is a FUN part of my life. I like talking about him, buting his music (old and new) and listening to him on disc or concert. He is like my loyalty to the Green Bay Packers. I hate when they lose but I am not going to quit watching them. They make calls, plays trades I don't agree with but I still watch their games and buy shirts and stuff. I don't expect the Packers to solve the world problems but I want Rodgers to score a hundred TD's. So its the way it works sounds like a wrong thing to say. We are fans of a country singer not JFK. He's human. If I don't like a presidential candidate then I choose to vote for someone else. That I think is a better was to talk about follow someone blindly. Garth sings songs, entertains me and I will follow him. If ever he does something that bothers me very badly, maybe I will quit listening to him. I quit listening to Toby Keith because of his negativity towards a fellow artist. I didn't go on country sites and rag on him. I just quit buying his music and watching him on TV. So yes I will follow him blindly as long as he gives me joy. As I said, he isn't a world leader, just a country singer and I can choose to listen or not. As far as agree with what he does, that is his business. He can run his business any way he wants. Again if you don't agree with his business practice, don't buy. I barely enter a Target or Wal Mart anymore. I hate self check out and they push that on people and help companies put people out of jobs. I am here to listen to Garths music old and new. I love Man Against Machine as much as I love Garth Brooks. Sure I want new music but I amcontent to enjoy what he gives me.

People are entitled to have an opinion and express it as they see fit. I'm sorry but if you don't like someone posting something negative, then you can just don't read it. It's worked for me.

Brett Dale
08-19-2019, 06:52 AM

Love ya Passion for Garth!

garthcop
08-19-2019, 07:28 AM
Skywise,
Nothing to apologize though. Thanks though.
As far supporting an artist, what does that mean? This isn't politics? I'm not out campaigning for Garth to decide run for office. I am a fan. Everyone who knows me knows that about me. I've never been asked if I support Garth. Maybe I've been asked if I like his new stuff, etc. But support is a political question. So, I think it's kind of an irrelevant question. I'm just a fan. You know have to be excited about everything he does. But here's the point, when you came to this site in the 90s, people were super excited. You didn't see all this negativity. And he didn't do everything great in the 90s. But we didn't care. We just enjoyed what we got. It was natural excitement, not constant complaining.

rhd13,
I became hardcore fan in junior high, right before he released The Chase. From that point on I've bought everything. So, no I'm not frustrated, because he has a track record of doing this and I simply don't have to buy everything if I don't want to. That's something you can choose not to do but still be a fan.

garthcop
08-19-2019, 07:31 AM
Great imformation from everyone. So the question now is how does Garth attract the newer potential fan and get them to sample the old music? You can crow about ITunes and You Tube so you can rip the song etc but a majority of people don't listen to music that way. Even spotify only has 1/3 of the country enrolled counting businesses. Not everyone can get a ticket to a show or he doesn't play near them. How do they discover Garth? Radio barely plays his music, new and old and people aren't listening to radio either so how do new fans get his music old and new. I am not frustrated by having more than one copy of a cd. I also have a minimum of 2 covers of each cd, not the cd, the covers. Some I actually have more. I have 25th anniversary covers, Capital covers, Pearl record covers. When Garth was at the top in the 90's and I was making better money I bought friends around 400 copies of Garth cds. I kept receipts, had a list so I wouldn't duplicate a cd and I even have over seas cds of the same stuff. But the way the music business is done has changed. We can adapt or try to stay the course. Sure vinyl isn't a major thing but downloading is way down, streaming is up and vinyl is catching on a little at a time. What I was trying to get across in my post is, don't buy the rereleased stuff, borrow the cd or whatever, do what you do to get a copy of the music you don't have. I know Garth wants a sale but a couple songs isn't going to be a bummer. Our country is so negative now. I want to enjoy my music and Garth. If I want negative I can turn on TV or read friends Facebook stuff. I come to Planet Garth to talk about Garth, his old and new music, and past Garth stuff. I don't want to read negative stuff. That is why I enjoy the Garth page on Facebook. It is concert stories, talk about new music, fan stuff. I don't recall seeing negative stuff. Maybe Garth is slow to adapt but that is his business. It is his music and he offers it in his way. Maybe if you didn't buy it, then he would change, who is to know. Maybe he will change once he reaches his goals. Or maybe he reads all this negative stuff and he will concentrate on Trisha's career and release music with her, lots of duets. :-)

Exactly! I'm part of a couple of FB Garth fan groups. YOU DON'T SEE THIS NEGATIVITY ON THOSE SITES! It's all upbeat and excitement. Yes, some stuff people post make you roll your eyes because they are new fans and haven't paid attention to to things before asking their questions. But you don't feel beat down or ticked when you come away from them, like you do here sometimes.

garthcop
08-19-2019, 07:32 AM
So essentially you're saying people should just blindly follow and agree with everything he does. That's not the way it works.

What is this, a religion? Of course not!

garthcop
08-19-2019, 07:33 AM
People are entitled to have an opinion and express it as they see fit. I'm sorry but if you don't like someone posting something negative, then you can just don't read it. It's worked for me.

And it's getting old having to filter everything out whenever you are coming here to get away from things to enjoy new with your fellow Garth fans.

garthcop
08-19-2019, 08:39 AM
And here is an example. Last week I posted that Dive Bar was up 3 spots on the charts. The response....crickets. It's like nobody wants to be excited about anything he does. In the past there would have been at least one person saying "Awesome...can't wait to see what it does next week". But, it seems people made up their mind they don't like Dive Bar or anything else Garth will do until they get a certain quality they are looking for from the 90s. BTW, Dive Bar is really good once you get hooked on it. My 19 month dances hard to it everytime I play it.

rhd13
08-19-2019, 08:53 AM
rhd13,
I became hardcore fan in junior high, right before he released The Chase. From that point on I've bought everything. So, no I'm not frustrated, because he has a track record of doing this and I simply don't have to buy everything if I don't want to. That's something you can choose not to do but still be a fan.

Fair enough. I obviously get you can be a fan without having everything. However, that is where we are different I guess. I want every song Garth releases and it’s not possible to do that (at least not legally) without purchasing some of these sets. That’s just the way Garth has designed it.

I’m sorry you feel some of us have made this a negative place. I’ve talked plenty about really positive stuff and being excited. As I’ve said before, ENORMOUS difference between just being mean/critical/negative and having thoughtful legitimate criticism. Oh well, guess not everyone sees it that way.

rhd13
08-19-2019, 08:57 AM
Exactly! I'm part of a couple of FB Garth fan groups. YOU DON'T SEE THIS NEGATIVITY ON THOSE SITES! It's all upbeat and excitement. Yes, some stuff people post make you roll your eyes because they are new fans and haven't paid attention to to things before asking their questions. But you don't feel beat down or ticked when you come away from them, like you do here sometimes.

You don’t see that on other sites because they literally silence voices they don’t agree with.

Skywise
08-19-2019, 09:32 AM
I could say I'm puzzled by your response... but I'm not- it's not the fist time I've seen that type of fandom...

My thought on it this morning- kinda along the lines Ryan was posting.. Garth's a part of who I am (at least musically..) I've never... NEVER had the connection with another artist or music like I have with his music. It's far more than just being one who likes what they put out, and listens.. It's a bit more than 'being a fan' like I am of the Broncos and Rockies. I know Garth's not a politician and not working on solving the worlds' problems for certain... that might cause issue in fandom..

Not gonna go too far in depth with things as it's in the past, but are you referring to TK and the DC spat from the last decade, or another artist?

It's also not that straight forward with things garth wise when it comes to buying music. There are a few artists, a very few (Garth tops, then Billy Joel, KISS, Weird Al, and Steven Curtis Chapman, and Apologetix, a Christian parody group) with me where I'll buy anything the put out..

He isn't a world leader, but he's a 'musical leader' as it were..

btw- I agree w/ the self checkout thing- I can't stand it normally, I think it's ruining jobs and taking away the interaction between store and customer which is def a sad thing

Skywise
08-19-2019, 09:51 AM
Skywise,....
As far supporting an artist, what does that mean? Good question I suppose.. for me? supporting an artist is listening to their music, buying their releases, going to see them in shows, etc. Talking about them, enjoying what they have put out... all of it and more.. for me? it's also knowing what I can about Garth (though admittedly I've slacked in this area as Iv'e aged in my fandom) and it's collecting (for me audio/video mostly) though that has also wained as technology has changed...

.....I am a fan. Everyone who knows me knows that about me. I've never been asked if I support Garth. Maybe I've been asked if I like his new stuff, etc. But support is a political question. So, I think it's kind of an irrelevant question. I'm just a fan. I don't know offhand whether or not to say you missed the point of my question or sidestepped it.. But then it could be as simple as having a different definition of 'supporting' an artist..

You know have to be excited about everything he does. and that's exactly how some of the criticisms he has received should be looked at perhaps.. people aren't excited about something he's done.. people aren't blindly following.

But here's the point, when you came to this site in the 90s, people were super excited. You didn't see all this negativity. And he didn't do everything great in the 90s. But we didn't care. We just enjoyed what we got. It was natural excitement, not constant complaining. Garth didn't do everything great in the 90s perhaps.. I can see your point here.. in the 90s people may have been super excited, but Garth was also 'newer'.. Country was exploding all around.. we (fans) were younger.. Garth was younger- everything was younger/newer.. the rose colored era, as it were.. speaking for myself, I was into the collecting, loving the music, and yeah- garth could do no wrong- I was idolizing him more than being a fan/showing my support... for ME, the final straw into objectivity was the debacle of the way he handled his retirement..

thing is, through all my fandom (stretching on now just shy of 30 years I guess) its never been constant complaining.. even in my 'woke' era of fandom (sorry had to chuckle at using that word) it's still not constant complaining.. anyone who knows me knows I'm a huge garth fan. I'll still support / buy anything he puts out (hence my buying a $100 vinyl set I have no way to play or spending $600 or more to go to Indiana for the Notre Dame concert which would be broadcast 2 months later on TV)... I still read/learn anything about him I can. I just don't have the blinders on anymore is all....I can see what he is as a person and an artist, and separate the two sometimes...

rhd13,
Dang, my hardcore fandom started in the run of No Fences (the first album I bought from Garth) but with every album since (from RTW on) Iv'e bought first day available, or midnight purchase if possible. every set, every cd, dvd, you name it- I agree you can choose to not buy and still be a fan.. me? my fandom involves having everything he's put out that I can get my hands on.

Skywise
08-19-2019, 10:01 AM

Yep you roll your eyes sometimes, certainly.. some of hte questions are great, some are not.. Some of hte posts are great, some are not.. Some of the interactions in other groups for Garth are great, some are not. There are some great people in positions of admin, and some tools.. (I like the admin here ;) ) .

what's in some of the FB groups though.... well it's not 'the planet' as it were... at least to me

What is this, a religion? Of course not! very true- Garth's just as fallen and sinful as we all are, though there are some in the larger garth fandom world who still idolize him and put him up on a pedestal where he is almost 'revered ' when that isn't right either

And here is an example. Last week I posted that Dive Bar was up 3 spots on the charts. The response....crickets. It's like nobody wants to be excited about anything he does. In the past there would have been at least one person saying "Awesome...can't wait to see what it does next week". But, it seems people made up their mind they don't like Dive Bar or anything else Garth will do until they get a certain quality they are looking for from the 90s. BTW, Dive Bar is really good once you get hooked on it. My 19 month dances hard to it everytime I play it. ya see when I read things like this, its' to me like people on youtube complaining about views. are you making the post to get recognition for yourself or for garth or something else? At least with me, I can't speak for others.. I find the #'s intriguing, but I don't care about the placement of a song on the charts week by week anymore as much. I'm excited plenty about things Garth does (ask my family, who literally had to endure me stopping something mid conversation last night so I could come up and capture / download the youtube video of garth's bakersfield show this week). Personally? I love Dive bar... didn't think I would , but I do- I just am not a slave to the #'s of it's crawl. Country radio isn't playing it... at least not here.. I don't have the garth channel everywhere I go, only in one car..

I’m sorry you feel some of us have made this a negative place. I’ve talked plenty about really positive stuff and being excited. As I’ve said before, ENORMOUS difference between just being mean/critical/negative and having thoughtful legitimate criticism. Oh well, guess not everyone sees it that way.
You don’t see that on other sites because they literally silence voices they don’t agree with. exactly Ryan- here at the planet all diff. viewpoints on Garth seem to be welcome, and even those who 'complain' don't seem to be anti garth- if we were we would have left...

for me it's not a matter of complaining, it's a matter of objectivity in my fandom (as my signature has stated for a while.)

but then again, that is just me

rhd13
08-19-2019, 11:05 AM
I'm very hesitant to post again in this thread because I feel like sometimes I just need to be quiet. However, I'm going to tell on myself.

It's funny, we go through this cycle on this board every so often. Those of us who don't praise every move Garth makes get fussed on, told we are not "real fans", told we don't have to buy the box (I've explained a dozen times why I still buy the boxes), and told how negative we are.

Every time that happens I take a step back and try to honestly assess am I being some awful, terrible, negative person. I am a mental health therapist so I work with people every day and my job requires that I be a people person, be kind, stay positive, connect with people, etc. I also have no problem stepping back and honestly assessing myself.

The best way I know to honestly look at myself in this scenario (when it comes to frustration with Garth releases) is to look at how I respond to my favorite rock act which I follow just as closely as Garth, that would be Metallica. Just like Garth, over the last several years they have released a box set yearly.

What is my reaction for their release, which is actually a deluxe edition of an old album. Well, at this very moment I could not be more excited for them to announce this year's box set. The reason? Well, I know there will probably be at least 2 full concerts on DVD that I've never seen before. There will probably be at least 2 CDs of outtakes, demos and B-sides with most (if not all) of material I've never heard. There will probably be at least 2 CDs worth of live shows. All of that material from the time period that the box set is covering. I'm like one of Pavlov's dogs almost salivating thinking about what will be in it.

When Garth announces a box set my first thought is always, "I wonder if there will be anything I don't already have." And if there is it is usually a very small amount. Which, since I want all his tracks, I will end up buying it.

My point in saying this is really simple and I think it is how most who complain feel. The things we'd all love to see are not unrealistic. As a matter of fact, at times Garth has given us the impression we are getting things we want. Who didn't think when the Live Anthology was announced that, based on Garth's hype, there would be NO NEW MUSIC in it?

As I've said many times, I think it is a difference in philosophy. Garth is so interested in the "casual fan" that he doesn't really care about putting out product that attracts the more "loyal fan". The Metallica boxes are designed for those "loyal fans" that want more than just the studio album. Obviously, I'm wrong to some degree about Garth's strategy because clearly some don't care to buy their 7th copy of No Fences. I, however, am just disappointed that there is little for the person that has really invested in his career like many of us have.

When it was asked if I'm always disappointed, why do I stay. Well, for starters my fandom has definitely changed. I definitely feel differently than I did and although I've been around lately I actually have gone long stretches (of several months) not visiting. The other thing is I still hold out some hope that Garth will change the backwards, stuck in the past way of doing things.

I WANT to support Garth. I WANT to feel the excitement I once felt. I WANT to always be glowingly positive. I just can't really do that as I get ready to get a box set that (with the exception of Triple Live) has nothing newer than 1998 in it.

gbkubfan
08-19-2019, 12:14 PM
I discovered Garth in the summer of 89. I loved Much To Young and it fit my mood at the time. I was depressed over turning 30 and 31 wasn't looking any better. I have been loyal to other artists over the year and still buy their music ( The Osmonds, Bruce Springsteen, Madonna). But I heard something in Garth's song that hit me. I didn't buy his album right away. I didn't want to invest in another singer. But a friend gave me a gift certificate for Tower records for my birthday and I decided to go and redeem it. I was standing in Tower and they actually had Garth on an end cap. I stood there for awhile deciding if I really wanted the album for one song. Finally, I took the chance. I picked up the cd and cassette. My car was still cassette and I had cd player at home. I started playing the cassette on the way home and I was sold. I went to work the next day raving about this new country singer. My friends weren't big country fans except for Randy Travis so they said cool. I played the cd for them at a bar b que and they liked what they heard. So for birthdays and Christmas, I started buying Garth for my friends. I forgot to say when I heard the Dance I was amazed. So my friends humored me but they did like the cd. So I began my love affair for Garth and his music. He helped me through a time where I was questioning what I was doing and other things. I began saving articles on Garth. Like I said before, I saved receipts from every album I bought and wrote everyone I bought a album for down on a list. My friends really fell in love with him with his tv special later on. I saw him play in concert with the Judds and Pirates of the Mississippi. I didn't even want to stay for Judds after seeing Garth but my date made me. So I get a little defensive when people get negative towards Garth. And I was in pr for a few years and understand an artist isn't perfect. But I also understand it is business. He can do what he wants. I buy books and music from Amazon since we don't have a book store or record shop in town. I don't like what Amazon does sometimes but it is my place to buy books and music. I guess what I am saying is, great you are unhappy with the way Garth does some things. He hasn't changed yet. I understand the need to vent. But every single time someone mentions a re release. We get it. You want new music less re releases. But you don't hit us over the head with it. Write Garth;s company. Venting to us isn't going to change things. Why try to bring us down when we are excited about whatever he is releasing. I became a collector along the way. I have so much music of Garth's I can't even keep it on shelves anymore. I still buy his stuff for friends and keep a list. But I enjoy the old and new stuff and the first editions, different covers and even the comilation albums that have a Garth song on. I do understand what people are saying but I am saying I heard you and I don't need to be hit over the head and I am sure others don't need to be hit over the head everytime he re releases something. :-)

garthcop
08-19-2019, 01:14 PM
. I understand the need to vent. But every single time someone mentions a re release. We get it. You want new music less re releases. But you don't hit us over the head with it. Write Garth;s company. Venting to us isn't going to change things. Why try to bring us down when we are excited about whatever he is releasing. ...... and I am sure others don't need to be hit over the head everytime he re releases something. :-)

This sums up my point as well. An expressed disappointment here and there...ok, I get it. But just not with everything old or new he releases all the time. Some of us like everything he's doing and just choose not to spend money on his stuff if we don't want to.

And, replying to Skywise, I'm super excited about his numbers. It's not about getting attention. I want to see my favorite artist get as many number 1s as he can! Ok. So, what should we expect on Studio G tonight;)

Skywise
08-19-2019, 01:17 PM
It's funny, we go through this cycle on this board every so often. Those of us who don't praise every move Garth makes get fussed on, told we are not "real fans", told we don't have to buy the box (I've explained a dozen times why I still buy the boxes), and told how negative we are. that is true..

Every time that happens I take a step back and try to honestly assess am I being some awful, terrible, negative person. I am a mental health therapist so I work with people every day and my job requires that I be a people person, be kind, stay positive, connect with people, etc. I also have no problem stepping back and honestly assessing myself. I need to do something similar- at times I have, usually when I’m forced Into not replying off the cuff, which has at times gotten me ‘in trouble’. I have always worn my emotions on my sleeve and my fandoms as well. Some on PG (garthmedic I’m looking at you spud!) know this better than others

The best way I know to honestly look at myself in this scenario (when it comes to frustration with Garth releases) is to look at how I respond to my favorite rock act which I follow just as closely as Garth, that would be Metallica. Just like Garth, over the last several years they have released a box set yearly. good point- I’ve done (to a point) similar with Garth and KISS (it’s kinda funny and eerie at times how their careers have paralleled each other- (talk about them influencing him! :) )

When Garth announces a box set my first thought is always, "I wonder if there will be anything I don't already have." At if there is it is usually a very small amount. Which, since I want all his tracks, I will end up buying it. that’s kinda what I was thinking when I dropped the $100 on the vinyl set, knowing I’d never be playing the actual vinyl itself…. It’ll go straight to collection ….

As I've said many times, I think it is a different in philosophy. Garth is so interested in the "casual fan" that he doesn't really care about putting out product that attracts the more "loyal fan". Obviously, I'm wrong to some degree because clearly some don't care to buy their 7th copy of No Fences. I, however, am just disappointed that there is little for the person that has really invested in his career like many of us have. That may be the tipping point into objectivity for some. The balance of appealing to the hard core/long time/loyal/ invested fan, and the ‘casual’ fan who hears ‘FILP’ at a show or online and barely knows who is singing.. (but then again, what makes casual fan vs what makes a ‘hard core’ fan…. Hmmm I feel a thread coming up)

When it was asked if I'm always disappointed, why do I stay. Well, for starters my fandom has definitely changed. I definitely feel differently than I did and although I've been around lately I actually have gone long stretches (of several months) not visiting. The other thing is I still hold out some hope that Garth will change the backwards, stuck in the past way of doing things. …. Amen to that.. my fandom has def. changed as well.. Even in collecting- I want to keep going with collecting but it’s not as important to have ‘every live show’ I can of Garth anymore.. it’s just not…

I WANT to support Garth. I WANT to feel the excitement I once felt. I WANT to always be glowingly positive. I just can't really do that as I get ready to get a box set that (with the exception of Triple Live) has nothing newer than 1998 in it.. I could be snarky- but no- you again spoke wise words Ryan!

Emerald Isle
08-19-2019, 01:25 PM
This isn't a super active board. There's only a few of us who post regularly. So there should be no doubt that those of us who are here ALL absolutely LOVE Garth Brooks!

We LOVE almost every song. Garth speaks to us. His music lights up our life. It makes us happy!! His concerts, unparalleled! His attitude about life, uplifting! His example on how to be a parent, excellent!!

So why do some of us get so negative sometimes? It's BECAUSE of that love. We are SOOOO dedicated that we want every single song. We want to hear every possible note. We are NOT causal fans! If Garth were to sing deep cuts like Night Rider's Lament, Rodeo or Mexico, or Please Operator at a concert, we'd flip out and get strange looks from those around us wondering how we knew all the words. The average fan would head for the beer line. Not us!! We are NOT the average fan.

So again, why are we so negative sometimes? There are many reasons that have been expressed time and time again, so there's no need to retread them now. But I think the heart of it is that we WANT him to succeed. We WANT him to be on as many radio stations as possible. We want everyone else to love him the way we do. That's why we want him on iTunes, and Spotify, and Pandora. So we can share him with new fans. We can't just hand them a CD because they'll look at us funny.

We also want them to love him for the same reason we do, for the music and the songs and the shows. So they can get enthralled by the stories of In Lonesome Dove and Ireland. So they can enjoy the tongue in cheekiness of It's Midnight Cinderella, Kickin & Screamin, and Nobody Gets Off in This Town. We want them to cry with us when we sing The Change. We wants folks to remember Garth Brooks for the songs, the music, and the way that music and his concerts touch our souls.

Here's what we don't want. We don't want Garth to be remembered for numbers. We love Garth because of the way he's touched our souls. Not because he has 7 Diamond awards. When people think of Queen, they think of Freddy Mercury's insane talent and they think of songs like Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites the Dust, We are the Champions, and We Will Rock You. They don't say, Queen was great because they shipped XX amount of units to record stores.

Garth is no doubt one of the all-time GREATS!! But it seems to some of us that for all the talk about the music, Garth has become an artist obsessed with numbers. And NOT necessarily sales numbers, but shipment numbers, which seem artificial. To some of us, that focus, that unending drive, that singular mission for Diamond awards, for RIAA shipment numbers, etc. almost cheapens our experience with Garth. Numbers are so impersonal. They don't emote anything. They speak to the brain, not the heart or the soul. They aren't something that anyone wants to share with friends.

When was the last time you told a friend, "hey, do you know why I love Garth Brooks, it's because he has 7 Diamond Awards," or "I really love Garth Brooks because he has shipped more units to record stores than any other solo artist in history." No!!! We tell people, I love Garth Brooks because of the songs themselves and the experiences we have at concerts.

I get that Garth measures his success by the numbers. It's just the way he thinks. I guess some of us just hoped that when Garth came back from Retirement, he would be focused on the future, not obsessed with building the legacy of his past.

I've rambled on a lot. I have a lot more to say, but if anyone is still even reading this, then I won't bore you. But let me say this. I am personally sorry for being one of the negative folks around here lately. Like Ryan said, I feel my critiques are absolutely 100% legitimate and warranted, and in no way am I trying to be mean-spirited or negative for the sake of being negative. That said, it kills the fun of things to read the critical stuff over and over again. So I'll personally try to refrain from being so vocal about my frustrations.

One thing is for sure, when Fun eventually comes, I'll love it. When the expanded Triple Live arrives, I'll enjoy the heck out it. I will always be grateful that he did come back after retirement, and that we now have BIAOMR, MAM, GS, and TL to add to our already amazing collections of songs. When "What Gave Me Away" comes out this month on Trisha's new album, I'll love that one too. Because again, what I love about Garth Brooks has nothing to do with numbers. It's about that voice, those songs, and that feeling of excitement you get when you first hear a new Garth Brooks song.

Skywise
08-19-2019, 01:31 PM
And, replying to Skywise, I'm super excited about his numbers. It's not about getting attention. I want to see my favorite artist get as many number 1s as he can! Ok. So, what should we expect on Studio G tonight;)
fair 'nough.. I was just curious ( a terminal habit for me), as the way I read the post it was like "I posted about this ,and no one cared to respond.."

I would love for Garth to get all the #1's and numbers he can too.. I realize that sounds contradictory to some- my Garth fandom is nothing if not complex/weird...

For me, Garth going after sales #s is ok- heck I'd love to see No fences or another Garth album dethrone the Eagles as the top album... Anything that gets Garth in the news is something I get excited for.. I don't get all the ins and outs of the #'s all the time (I have quirks in my fandom but I don't get into that detail wise)..

as for ISG tonight? I suspect we'll get a bit about Bakersfield, a bit about vinyl, perhaps a mention of the next city for the dive bar mini tour, and as a long shot- perhaps talking about the next city for the tour, or more as to why he won't be giving it out, as TY is set to begin a tour soon I think.. stuff like that

feels like a fluff week if I'm being honest.. would love to have an ask garth get through about the bonus songs and if they're really just the 1998 released additional songs but that would never make it to garth's ears...

randa16
08-19-2019, 01:52 PM
This isn't a super active board. There's only a few of us who post regularly. So there should be no doubt that those of us who are here ALL absolutely LOVE Garth Brooks!

We LOVE almost every song. Garth speaks to us. His music lights up our life. It makes us happy!! His concerts, unparalleled! His attitude about life, uplifting! His example on how to be a parent, excellent!!

So why do some of us get so negative sometimes? It's BECAUSE of that love. We are SOOOO dedicated that we want every single song. We want to hear every possible note. We are NOT causal fans! If Garth were to sing deep cuts like Night Rider's Lament, Rodeo or Mexico, or Please Operator at a concert, we'd flip out and get strange looks from those around us wondering how we knew all the words. The average fan would head for the beer line. Not us!! We are NOT the average fan.

So again, why are we so negative sometimes? There are many reasons that have been expressed time and time again, so there's no need to retread them now. But I think the heart of it is that we WANT him to succeed. We WANT him to be on as many radio stations as possible. We want everyone else to love him the way we do. That's why we want him on iTunes, and Spotify, and Pandora. So we can share him with new fans. We can't just hand them a CD because they'll look at us funny.

We also want them to love him for the same reason we do, for the music and the songs and the shows. So they can get enthralled by the stories of In Lonesome Dove and Ireland. So they can enjoy the tongue in cheekiness of It's Midnight Cinderella, Kickin & Screamin, and Nobody Gets Off in This Town. We want them to cry with us when we sing The Change. We wants folks to remember Garth Brooks for the songs, the music, and the way that music and his concerts touch our souls.

Here's what we don't want. We don't want Garth to be remembered for numbers. We love Garth because of the way he's touched our souls. Not because he has 7 Diamond awards. When people think of Queen, they think of Freddy Mercury's insane talent and they think of songs like Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites the Dust, We are the Champions, and We Will Rock You. They don't say, Queen was great because they shipped XX amount of units to record stores.

Garth is no doubt one of the all-time GREATS!! But it seems to some of us that for all the talk about the music, Garth has become an artist obsessed with numbers. And NOT necessarily sales numbers, but shipment numbers, which seem artificial. To some of us, that focus, that unending drive, that singular mission for Diamond awards, for RIAA shipment numbers, etc. almost cheapens our experience with Garth. Numbers are so impersonal. They don't emote anything. They speak to the brain, not the heart or the soul. They aren't something that anyone wants to share with friends.

When was the last time you told a friend, "hey, do you know why I love Garth Brooks, it's because he has 7 Diamond Awards," or "I really love Garth Brooks because he has shipped more units to record stores than any other solo artist in history." No!!! We tell people, I love Garth Brooks because of the songs themselves and the experiences we have at concerts.

I get that Garth measures his success by the numbers. It's just the way he thinks. I guess some of us just hoped that when Garth came back from Retirement, he would be focused on the future, not obsessed with building the legacy of his past.

I've rambled on a lot. I have a lot more to say, but if anyone is still even reading this, then I won't bore you. But let me say this. I am personally sorry for being one of the negative folks around here lately. Like Ryan said, I feel my critiques are absolutely 100% legitimate and warranted, and in no way am I trying to be mean-spirited or negative for the sake of being negative. That said, it kills the fun of things to read the critical stuff over and over again. So I'll personally try to refrain from being so vocal about my frustrations.

One thing is for sure, when Fun eventually comes, I'll love it. When the expanded Triple Live arrives, I'll enjoy the heck out it. I will always be grateful that he did come back after retirement, and that we now have BIAOMR, MAM, GS, and TL to add to our already amazing collections of songs. When "What Gave Me Away" comes out this month on Trisha's new album, I'll love that one too. Because again, what I love about Garth Brooks has nothing to do with numbers. It's about that voice, those songs, and that feeling of excitement you get when you first hear a new Garth Brooks song.

Absolutely nailed it and could not have said it better myself.

Skywise
08-19-2019, 01:54 PM
This isn't a super active board. There's only a few of us who post regularly. So there should be no doubt that those of us who are here ALL absolutely LOVE Garth Brooks!. I’d def. say that’s true- we have diff styles of fandom but we all love Garth (the man and/or his music)

We LOVE almost every song. Garth speaks to us. His music lights up our life. It makes us happy!! His concerts, unparalleled! His attitude about life, uplifting! His example on how to be a parent, excellent!! ben w/ the opinions I have about his retirement…. Well said!

So why do some of us get so negative sometimes? It's BECAUSE of that love. We are SOOOO dedicated that we want every single song. We want to hear every possible note. We are NOT causal fans! If Garth were to sing deep cuts like Night Rider's Lament, Rodeo or Mexico, or Please Operator at a concert, we'd flip out and get strange looks from those around us wondering how we knew all the words. The average fan would head for the beer line. Not us!! We are NOT the average fan. ya should have seen the texts flying between a friend of mine at the garth show in Denver and myself- when he started up on in lonesome Dove and The Red Strokes…. We went nuts

One thing is for sure, when Fun eventually comes, I'll love it. When the expanded Triple Live arrives, I'll enjoy the heck out it. I will always be grateful that he did come back after retirement, and that we now have BIAOMR, MAM, GS, and TL to add to our already amazing collections of songs. When "What Gave Me Away" comes out this month on Trisha's new album, I'll love that one too. Because again, what I love about Garth Brooks has nothing to do with numbers. It's about that voice, those songs, and that feeling of excitement you get when you first hear a new Garth Brooks song.…. BOOM… another mic drop- thanks or sharing emerald!

rhd13
08-19-2019, 03:45 PM

Nothing else needs to be said. Thanks!

wimpy77
08-19-2019, 06:02 PM
I think a lot of the frustrations we have that we need to understand is, I don't think Garth knows where he currently fits into the current musical landscape. Let's face it, it's not the 90's anymore. The business has changed and to be honest I'm not sure it's changed for the better IMO.

Skywise
08-19-2019, 06:06 PM
Let's face it, it's not the 90's anymore. The business has changed and to be honest I'm not sure it's changed for the better IMO.
a good point- Music has changed- gone are the days of being beholden to a label etc.. artists are more accessible, but you have to wonder almost if the accessibility has proven to be a negative

ElectricOutcast
08-19-2019, 06:34 PM
To put my two cents in on this conversation, let me put it to you guys this way, I never really gave a shit about Garth's re-releasing habits, mostly because I prefer to worry about bigger problems going on, not only in my personal life but also around the world. That being said, in a way I actually embraced his re-releasing habits because they actually proved very practical for me. Flashback to 2005, second box set comes out after Katrina, two of my Garth CDs were cracked and pretty much unplayable (Sevens and Disc One of Double Live) when that box set came out, I was not only happy to get new copies of those albums, but I also got to enjoy the first pressing of The Lost Sessions.

Flash forward to this year, now there had been occasions where in-between 2005 to now, where I would window shop on Ebay to look up Garth on Vinyl and even though I could never afford some of the vinyl that was in mint condition, I always wondered what it would be like to play Garth's records on a vinyl record player and in a way, MetalJesusRocks on Youtube inspired me to make that an aspiration of mine to collect that vinyl whenever I had enough money to play it. Now here's the reason why I personally felt villified when you guys attacked Garth for announcing his plans to release his stuff on vinyl, because when I first heard of his plans to release his stuff on vinyl, I was actually very happy because it gave me an opportunity to actually save A FEW HUNDRED BUCKS on those records as opposed to what would've happened if I had gone the Ebay route and shelling out potentially thousands of dollars. Now I know you guys mean well and vilifying retro collectors obviously was not y'alls intentions, but that was the feeling I was having when you guys attacked Garth over it.

But here is the REAL PROBLEM that I'm having with Garth, when it comes to his new stuff, he's done nothing but trend chase. Meaning that he keeps releasing songs that do nothing to move the genre towards a better direction that desperately needs to go. Dive Bar, for example and him picking Blake Shelton, let's face it along with him, Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia, those individuals I mentioned are probably the most polarizing figures in Country Music right now and Garth wants to team up with them instead of picking people like Chris Stapleton, Luke Combs and Wade Bowen? I understand trying to be relevant, but rarely does staying in a circle ever really work, sometimes you got to go outside that circle and make your own thing.

The point I'm trying to make is if Country Music were able to evolve back to what made it good in the 80's and 90's, Garth needs to think about being a leader for that evolution especially since he could easily have the potential of taking George Strait's title of The King. And I bring up George Strait because he can only go so long before he either completely retires or passes away, and when Strait passes away whose worthy of taking George's title if Garth ain't worthy of it?

Emerald Isle
08-19-2019, 07:00 PM
I will say this about the vinyl release. Garth is doing it just about as well as it can be done.

He's releasing an analog version along with an updated digital version. He's including CDs so that folks have a more mobile option to hear the contents. He's offering it in separate boxes that can either be purchased all together or individually. He's adding an individualized number (and even let you choose your number if you wanted) for the collectors. He's also offering some boxes without the numbers at a discount if folks want to go that route. The packaging looks great and from what I understand he had the vinyl pressed at one of the premier plants rather than one of the cheaper ones. He also offered it to "fans" first before sending it to retail.

This is also a great release for what it is because most of his stuff hasn't been available on vinyl for more than 20 years and some of it has never been available on vinyl.

Now the relatively few things that he perhaps could have done better were to release finalized tracklists right from the beginning so folks knew what they were buying when they pre-ordered (except that Garth hardly ever releases final tracklistings for anything until just before release, so that was nothing new), and maybe he could have picked better albums to include in this first package (although we all know why he picked these particular albums).

All in all, this is going to be a fantastic release, and in almost every respect, Garth has done it 95% right from a fan perspective, which is a lot better than many other artists do!! For those of you who like and collect vinyl, I'm thrilled for you!! This will undoubtedly be the release of the year for you!!

rhd13
08-19-2019, 07:49 PM
I agree with Emerald. There are things about this box to be excited about even for those that are disappointed in the "bonus tracks".

- I honestly don't even remember Garth's records being available on vinyl so for those here that are huge vinyls fans this is a big deal.

- I love the fact that he gave the option of 3 different box sets. It does give those that are picky about their audio on vinyl an opportunity to go a few different routes.

- The price point for the initial sale was amazing. I mean, paying $100 for the 3 boxes really was a steal. (One of the reasons I purchased)

- The packaging looks like it could be really gorgeous and a nice collector's item for sure.

- The thing I'm most excited about is seeing which three Triple Live albums I get. I would love to have all 6 of those, especially the 7 Diamond Celebration and the Ryman since I was actually at both of those shows. My hope is that these 6 covers will be available for the CD versions as well.

Skywise
08-20-2019, 01:39 PM
Flash forward to this year, now there had been occasions where in-between 2005 to now, where I would window shop on Ebay to look up Garth on Vinyl and even though I could never afford some of the vinyl that was in mint condition, I always wondered what it would be like to play Garth's records on a vinyl record player and in a way, MetalJesusRocks on Youtube inspired me to make that an aspiration of mine to collect that vinyl whenever I had enough money to play it. Now here's the reason why I personally felt villified when you guys attacked Garth for announcing his plans to release his stuff on vinyl, because when I first heard of his plans to release his stuff on vinyl, I was actually very happy because it gave me an opportunity to actually save A FEW HUNDRED BUCKS on those records as opposed to what would've happened if I had gone the Ebay route and shelling out potentially thousands of dollars. Now I know you guys mean well and vilifying retro collectors obviously was not y'alls intentions, but that was the feeling I was having when you guys attacked Garth over it.. I see your point here (and lol- love the shoutout to metaljesusrocks from YT, great retro game channel- I also like John Hancock's channel (and cinemassacre for AVGN as well)..

But here is the REAL PROBLEM that I'm having with Garth, when it comes to his new stuff, he's done nothing but trend chase. Meaning that he keeps releasing songs that do nothing to move the genre towards a better direction that desperately needs to go. Dive Bar, for example and him picking Blake Shelton, let's face it along with him, Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia, those individuals I mentioned are probably the most polarizing figures in Country Music right now and Garth wants to team up with them instead of picking people like Chris Stapleton, Luke Combs and Wade Bowen? I understand trying to be relevant, but rarely does staying in a circle ever really work, sometimes you got to go outside that circle and make your own thing. not gonna fault you on your opinion, but I know you have a deep dislike for those artists in particular.. Im just curious to ask- is there a poss. the dislike is clouding understanding of Garth's reasoning (lol if we can ever know what his reasoning truly is for something).. I do see your point on what you're saying re: them though.. I also know your like for wade Bowen, etc.. makes sense. Luke Combs to me still sounds bro-country, I'd almost lump him I w/ the others you have mentioned you're not a fan of. Tha'ts my take on him though... (the ice cold beer never broke my heart song... its like it WANTS to be good but stays in bro country realm...

The point I'm trying to make is if Country Music were able to evolve back to what made it good in the 80's and 90's, Garth needs to think about being a leader for that evolution especially since he could easily have the potential of taking George Strait's title of The King. And I bring up George Strait because he can only go so long before he either completely retires or passes away, and when Strait passes away whose worthy of taking George's title if Garth ain't worthy of it?

Hmm- good question re: George Strait.. honestly? I dont' think Garth would take the title if offered- (if it were really a 'title').. George Strait's one of his biggest heroes.. I know he's said "I've tried to be George strait'. but you cant/he couldn't.. even if it were possible. there's only 1 GS just as there is only 1 GB..

I like the notions of the evolving f country.. brings back a discussion I had with a friend who moved to Nashville in the late 90s.. we talked about the pendulum type swinging of country from one type of format to another... It will swing back to a more normal sound at some point.. or at least it'll swing away from the bro country crap....

Things is, music progresses.. fans progress.. artists who want to maintain longevity should 'progress' in ways too.. Garth has seemed to fence straddle this point- sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't progress musically and as an artist

Skywise
08-20-2019, 01:46 PM
I agree with Emerald. There are things about this box to be excited about even for those that are disappointed in the "bonus tracks".

- I honestly don't even remember Garth's records being available on vinyl so for those here that are huge vinyls fans this is a big deal.

- I love the fact that he gave the option of 3 different box sets. It does give those that are picky about their audio on vinyl an opportunity to go a few different routes.

- The price point for the initial sale was amazing. I mean, paying $100 for the 3 boxes really was a steal. (One of the reasons I purchased)

- The packaging looks like it could be really gorgeous and a nice collector's item for sure.

- The thing I'm most excited about is seeing which three Triple Live albums I get. I would love to have all 6 of those, especially the 7 Diamond Celebration and the Ryman since I was actually at both of those shows. My hope is that these 6 covers will be available for the CD versions as well.

My only thing w/ the vinyl (and yes I talk about it as one who has purchased it) that could be seen as a complaint- Im' still not gonna be going out of my way to buy a record player which would then have to be hooked to speakers and/or a receiver, etc. all for the purpose off playing Garth albums which could scratch, at the hope of hearing a 'warmer' sound... it's a niche thing to do, still a niche format.. Retro is one thing... progress is another..

That being said- the way he's handled the sale (minus the bonus song thing which we #1 don't know for CERTAIN until release/unboxings..) has been great. I'd love to see the packaging inserts, etc. and all the inside stuff. I'm not likely to open my set(s) though to do so unless I have to.. MIB means 'mint in box" not opened and looked at once... :). I am happy I got the # I wanted though- not any of my kids birthdays (wouldn't be able to choose) or my wedding date (I could have done the I guess)... did get the number for day I accepted Christ.. a great reminder to have..

Im' sure there will be further cover releases depending on the set's reception once it's 'out in the wild' as it were

garthcop
08-20-2019, 04:20 PM
I think a lot of the frustrations we have that we need to understand is, I don't think Garth knows where he currently fits into the current musical landscape. Let's face it, it's not the 90's anymore. The business has changed and to be honest I'm not sure it's changed for the better IMO.

I think there's a lot of truth in that.

garthcop
08-20-2019, 04:25 PM
It would be awesome if for one album he just took a break from concentrating on sales and did something that he may have always wanted to do that was a break from normal but a gift for us fans. Kenny Chesney has two albums like that, his current one being one of those. I guess in a way the Chris Gaines album was that. He needs to do something like that again.

Skywise
08-20-2019, 05:22 PM
It would be awesome if for one album he just took a break from concentrating on sales and did something that he may have always wanted to do that was a break from normal but a gift for us fans. Kenny Chesney has two albums like that, his current one being one of those. I guess in a way the Chris Gaines album was that. He needs to do something like that again.It would definitely be nice... Garth's seemingly proven though that he won't 'do what others do' when it comes to suggested ways to release music/types of music/etc..

I'm sure Garth thinks things like the vinyl are 'gifts to the fans'... And they ARE.... to a casual fan/new fan.. to the hardcore/longtime ones? not quite a gift...

Chris Gaines was not a 'gift to the fans'.. It was more along the lines of a concept album ill fated in delivery. Kind of (I know Ive made connections before) KISS' music from the Elder

Emerald Isle
08-20-2019, 05:42 PM
It would be awesome if for one album he just took a break from concentrating on sales and did something that he may have always wanted to do that was a break from normal but a gift for us fans. Kenny Chesney has two albums like that, his current one being one of those. I guess in a way the Chris Gaines album was that. He needs to do something like that again.

In a sense, I feel like the Vegas show and the BIAOMR set that followed were sorta this for Garth.

Skywise
08-20-2019, 08:52 PM
In a sense, I feel like the Vegas show and the BIAOMR set that followed were sorta this for Garth.
def a lot closer to that than CG honestly....

interesting take on things, emerald

Brett Dale
09-02-2019, 05:00 AM
What is the latest word form Garth for the release date of Fun. Last I heard was, it will be released in the life span of "Dive Bar"

Emerald Isle
09-02-2019, 11:27 AM
What is the latest word form Garth for the release date of Fun. Last I heard was, it will be released in the life span of "Dive Bar"

He said “maybe” it’d be released during Dive Bar’s run. The reality is that no one knows. He doesn’t talk that much about it. Legacy is the clear focus point release this year. Everything else is just frosting.

Skywise
09-02-2019, 12:12 PM
He said “maybe” it’d be released during Dive Bar’s run. The reality is that no one knows. He doesn’t talk that much about it. Legacy is the clear focus point release this year. Everything else is just frosting.
if anyone knows the exact inside studio G where he said this, I can go back and verify (have em all downloaded) but I do remember him at some point saying 'during the life' of dive bar.. honestly though? emerald's right and the reality is no one knows (but garth's 'camp'..) He's def. focusing more on vinyl this season....

gbkubfan
09-05-2019, 12:29 PM
Well we are into September and still nothing on FUN or Triple Live. I guess he is going for bigger numbers by selling the Legacy set. If he sells the 3 boxed set I guess that is 42 items versus 1 for FUN and 3 for Triple Live. I guess it is selling somewhat. It keeps going up and down in the rankings on Amazon. I wonder how it is doing at Target and Best Buy. You'd think there would be a hint of advertising. I bet for Black Friday there will be a big push to sell the rest of the numbered copies. I think I brought this up before. A radio station posted a photo right before Garth announced Legay and said that they had a box set mailed to them and they were supposed to give it away. Whatever happened to that. Never heard another word. So that means Garth had unnumbered sets already. I wonder how many of each he is having produced. How high did the numbered sets go and how many un numbered sets were made? We see the Oct 1 date approaching fast. I am thinking of ordering a second boxed set and oneextra box to have a copy of the albums to play.Getting closer. So if he sells 1 million boxed sets and certifies the back catalog I wonder where his numbers will be on Neilsen sound scan and RIAA.?

Skywise
09-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Well we are into September and still nothing on FUN or Triple Live. I guess he is going for bigger numbers by selling the Legacy set. If he sells the 3 boxed set I guess that is 42 items versus 1 for FUN and 3 for Triple Live. I guess it is selling somewhat. It keeps going up and down in the rankings on Amazon. I wonder how it is doing at Target and Best Buy. You'd think there would be a hint of advertising. I bet for Black Friday there will be a big push to sell the rest of the numbered copies. I think I brought this up before. A radio station posted a photo right before Garth announced Legay and said that they had a box set mailed to them and they were supposed to give it away. Whatever happened to that. Never heard another word. So that means Garth had unnumbered sets already. I wonder how many of each he is having produced. How high did the numbered sets go and how many un numbered sets were made? We see the Oct 1 date approaching fast. I am thinking of ordering a second boxed set and oneextra box to have a copy of the albums to play.Getting closer. So if he sells 1 million boxed sets and certifies the back catalog I wonder where his numbers will be on Neilsen sound scan and RIAA.?

You wonder a lot! ;)

seriously though- I think we're at a stage where we need to just breathe and let it happen.... let things occur w/ Garth as they occur.. speculating and stressing too much about his numbers and released timings will only make things worse.. for us.. (not him)

gbkubfan
09-05-2019, 01:03 PM
LOL. I know I wonder a lot. Blame it on my dialysis and foot infection. I have nothing to do but read or wonder. I am stuck at home in bed or in front of computer. Plus I have been working on my collection and get bored with nothing new. I am trying to just let it happen. But I am bored. :-) Plus he keeps us in the dark.

Emerald Isle
09-05-2019, 02:10 PM
He did say he would have some announcements to discuss on next Monday's Studio G. That could just be the Tennessee Stadium stop, the next Dive Bar stop, and/or the Dive Bar video(s), and may have nothing to do with Fun and TL.

As I've said before, he's CLEARLY laser-focused on Legacy right now. And although I personally wish he'd be more focused on the new stuff rather than the old stuff, Scott is right that he's just going to do what he's going to do, and so there's no use in getting bent out of shape or upset about it. Fun and TL will come when they come.

With regard to the ponderings about how many Legacy boxes were made, I am guessing he made 1 million of each box, so 3 million total units. I'm also guessing that a certain portion of those (maybe half) were designated as being numbered, with the rest being unnumbered. Another possibility is that more than a million of each box were pressed, and that the first million were designated as being numbered, since with a 6 digit numbering system (00-00-00), the most you could produce would be 999,999.

Whatever the number is, it's significant that he's mentioned a few times that all produced sets, numbered or not, have been spoken for. That means that every single one produced will be "shipped" from the outset and can therefore be certified immediately for RIAA purposes, whether they actually sell or not.

Emerald Isle
09-05-2019, 02:20 PM
Another possibility is that more than a million of each box were pressed, and that the first million were designated as being numbered, since with a 6 digit numbering system (00-00-00), the most you could produce would be 999,999.

Not to quote my own post, but this actually brings up an interesting question. With being able to pick your own number, what happens if only 500,000 "numbered" sets were produced, but someone picked 99-99-99, or 77-77-77 as their number. Having one of those numbers implies that at least that many sets were produced, right? Would it be weird if you had 77-77-77 but the next lowest number was 09-05-19?

rhd13
09-05-2019, 06:55 PM
With regard to the ponderings about how many Legacy boxes were made, I am guessing he made 1 million of each box, so 3 million total units. I'm also guessing that a certain portion of those (maybe half) were designated as being numbered, with the rest being unnumbered. Another possibility is that more than a million of each box were pressed, and that the first million were designated as being numbered, since with a 6 digit numbering system (00-00-00), the most you could produce would be 999,999.

Whatever the number is, it's significant that he's mentioned a few times that all produced sets, numbered or not, have been spoken for. That means that every single one produced will be "shipped" from the outset and can therefore be certified immediately for RIAA purposes, whether they actually sell or not.

If this wasn't a vinyl release I'd agree 100% that he had at least a million shipped of each box, however, I don't think that is what has happened here and I'll tell you why. Take a look at this article.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2019/05/05/garth-brooks-legacy-collection/

In the article the big headline is that Garth passes 1 million in vinyl sales, but if you read the article it states that he has sold over 142,000 boxes. This means he has to move about 850,000 more boxes of VINYL just to get to 1 million!!! I just can't see 1 million of each box happening.

As I said in another thread there are 2 reasons for that.

#1 - He made the big huge push with the numbers and combined 3 box sets at $100. I kind of feel like the majority of people that REALLY wanted these sets purchased them in one of the initial windows.
#2 - This is VINYL! It is a niche format. There were only 16.8 million vinyls sold last year in all formats of music combined. And Garth is not necessarily the hipster crowd, that buys most vinyls, kind of thing.

I think he, at most, has made up a million boxes (in total). That would move every album up 1 million units and Triple Live up 3 million. The other thing to think about is if all the albums in the box are close to certification he wouldn't have to ship half a million or a million. It could be much less if several albums are within a few hundred thousand copies and need a bump. It depends on what he has up his sleeve.

And yes, I totally agree that it is significant they are all spoken for. There is your shipment to get his certification number he is after.

gbkubfan
09-05-2019, 06:55 PM
That has been what I was thinking. Plus he did that radio thing where he sent completed boxes to give out. So those were unnumbered. So how many of those were produced. Does he have the unnumbered already ready but won't release them until the numbered sets are mailed? It is interesting that Nov. 1 is a Friday, the day new music is released. So maybe you will be able to purchase the boxed set at Target or Best Buy before the mailman delivers the numbered sets. Or maybe we will get our numbered boxes early. As was mentioned above, it boggles the mind if he really produced 3 million Legacy sets that are numbered and he could have produced 3 million unnumbered. I won't do the math but 6 million times 42 is a lot of albums. RIAA will be using their calculators. And Neilsen Sound Scan will see a big jump if the set is selling great. Especially with the holiday season and Black Friday approaching. Which brings up the question...with the Legacy set coming out before Black Friday, does that mean he will drop Triple Live or FUN on Black Friday.

Brett Dale
09-05-2019, 07:11 PM
If this wasn't a vinyl release I'd agree 100% that he had at least a million shipped of each box, however, I don't think that is what has happened here and I'll tell you why. Take a look at this article.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2019/05/05/garth-brooks-legacy-collection/

In the article the big headline is that Garth passes 1 million in vinyl sales, but if you read the article it states that he has sold over 142,000 boxes. This means he has to move about 850,000 more boxes of VINYL just to get to 1 million!!! I just can't see 1 million of each box happening.

As I said in another thread there are 2 reasons for that.

#1 - He made the big huge push with the numbers and combined 3 box sets at $100. I kind of feel like the majority of people that REALLY wanted these sets purchased them in one of the initial windows.
#2 - This is VINYL! It is a niche format. There were only 16.8 million vinyls sold last year in all formats of music combined. And Garth is not necessarily the hipster crowd, that buys most vinyls, kind of thing.

I think he, at most, has made up a million boxes (in total). That would move every album up 1 million units and Triple Live up 3 million. The other thing to think about is if all the albums in the box are close to certification he wouldn't have to ship half a million or a million. It could be much less if several albums are within a few hundred thousand copies and need a bump. It depends on what he has up his sleeve.

And yes, I totally agree that it is significant they are all spoken for. There is your shipment to get his certification number he is after.

Agree 100%.

Brett Dale
09-05-2019, 07:13 PM
That has been what I was thinking. Plus he did that radio thing where he sent completed boxes to give out. So those were unnumbered. So how many of those were produced. Does he have the unnumbered already ready but won't release them until the numbered sets are mailed? It is interesting that Nov. 1 is a Friday, the day new music is released. So maybe you will be able to purchase the boxed set at Target or Best Buy before the mailman delivers the numbered sets. Or maybe we will get our numbered boxes early. As was mentioned above, it boggles the mind if he really produced 3 million Legacy sets that are numbered and he could have produced 3 million unnumbered. I won't do the math but 6 million times 42 is a lot of albums. RIAA will be using their calculators. And Neilsen Sound Scan will see a big jump if the set is selling great. Especially with the holiday season and Black Friday approaching. Which brings up the question...with the Legacy set coming out before Black Friday, does that mean he will drop Triple Live or FUN on Black Friday.

I sure hope he drops Fun and Triple Live this year!!