PDA

View Full Version : Why I will not be supporting Dive Bar

ElectricOutcast
06-18-2019, 09:24 AM
For the record, I'm still on a hiatus from being an active member over here, but I need to come back and explain to everyone why I will not be supporting Dive Bar with Blake Shelton.

Now when I was younger and when Garth was starting to begin his retirement phase, Blake had actually come along and put out some songs that I actually liked back in the day. (Austin, Ol Red, Baby, Some Beach, Goodbye Time) But that was from 2001 till 2007, and after that he wanted to copy off the success of Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan and be completely Bro-Country to the point where people like myself started to hate him for it and he had gotten so sold out to the point where in 2013 he made this comment:

If I am ďMale Vocalist of the YearĒ that must mean that Iím one of those people now that gets to decide if it moves forward and if it moves on. Country music has to evolve in order to survive. Nobody wants to listen to their grandpaís music. And I donít care how many of these old farts around Nashville going, ďMy God, that ainít country!Ē Well thatís because you donít buy records anymore, jackass. The kids do, and they donít want to buy the music you were buying.

Not only did I severely disagree with that, this comment here made me lose any amount of respect I had for him back in 2001 and have refused to listen to any of his stuff since. Now I get why Garth is teaming up with Blake, he wants to try to be relevant on radio again, but going with Blake Shelton is the wrong way to go. I'd have been better off with him re-teaming with Chris Stapleton again (and I'm referring to Chris being part of the BIAOMR Sessions) and make a more formal duet, at least I'd have been happy as a consumer. Or I also would have been happy with him bringing in somebody from the Texas/Red Dirt genre. But Blake Shelton is a deal breaker for me and that is the reason why I will not support or even REMOTELY listen to this song.

I know many of you might disagree with me on this, but this is my decision and I'm sticking with it.

DuckStreetCowboy
06-18-2019, 09:35 AM
Get over yourself.

ElectricOutcast
06-18-2019, 09:37 AM
Get over yourself.

Wow that was very mature.

Skywise
06-18-2019, 10:00 AM
Dude, Duckstreet. Chill out..

After all, opinions are all different and he's allowed to feel that way....

do I agree myself w/ his statement? no, not totally... honestly I've not REALLY been a blake shelton since the days of Austin...

Electric doesn't want to support anything with Blake in it, that's his prerogative and right- what sort of leeway/authority do you have in the situation to tell him otherwise?

ElectricOutcast
06-18-2019, 10:12 AM
Dude, Duckstreet. Chill out..

After all, opinions are all different and he's allowed to feel that way....

do I agree myself w/ his statement? no, not totally... honestly I've not REALLY been a blake shelton since the days of Austin...

Electric doesn't want to support anything with Blake in it, that's his prerogative and right- what sort of leeway/authority do you have in the situation to tell him otherwise?

I don't know but if he ever does that again, he will be blocked, I'm not gonna be part of this group just to have someone spit in my face over my opinions.

Skywise
06-18-2019, 10:50 AM
I don't know but if he ever does that again, he will be blocked, I'm not gonna be part of this group just to have someone spit in my face over my opinions.

I know I may be seen as hypocritical to some , perhaps. but to quote Garth "listen not to the critics who put their own dreams on the shelves".

I''ll say this much- I don't TOTALLY agree with your boycott idea.. but it is your prerogative and how you feel.. who am i to say otherwise. you 're free to have your feelings.. and to not be blasted for them

garthcop
06-18-2019, 11:36 AM
We are all entitled to our opinions, but it seems there are those who never like anything he does. He's been back long enough to see that
it's not the Garth of the 90s. But he's still the same person. Come on. Let's be supportive fans!! He picked a great guy to do a duet with.

rhd13
06-18-2019, 12:21 PM
We are all entitled to our opinions, but it seems there are those who never like anything he does. He's been back long enough to see that
it's not the Garth of the 90s. But he's still the same person. Come on. Let's be supportive fans!! He picked a great guy to do a duet with.

I may be wrong, but I have always felt that most on here really do love Garth. This is my perception, and could be totally wrong HA!

Every now and then I do think there are some really unreasonable, negative comments, but I do think most have honest, intelligent criticism.

I want to be really supportive of everything Garth does. I literally still buy all releases, have seen him 55 times, etc., but there are some things that I do think he deserves criticism over. Again, not harsh, mean, personal criticism, but I do think it is reasonable to be frustrated over some of the releases we've gotten since he has returned.

I'm sure many things I have said have been taken as really negative. I try not to be negative, but say things that I think are insightful based on my experience in country radio. At the end of the day I think it's important for everyone to be respectful to each other regardless if they totally disagree.

Skywise
06-18-2019, 01:18 PM
Well said Ryan well said!

Emerald Isle
06-18-2019, 01:41 PM
I may be wrong, but I have always felt that most on here really do love Garth. This is my perception, and could be totally wrong HA!

Every now and then I do think there are some really unreasonable, negative comments, but I do think most have honest, intelligent criticism.

I want to be really supportive of everything Garth does. I literally still buy all releases, have seen him 55 times, etc., but there are some things that I do think he deserves criticism over. Again, not harsh, mean, personal criticism, but I do think it is reasonable to be frustrated over some of the releases we've gotten since he has returned.

I'm sure many things I have said have been taken as really negative. I try not to be negative, but say things that I think are insightful based on my experience in country radio. At the end of the day I think it's important for everyone to be respectful to each other regardless if they totally disagree.

I was going to chime in, but you said it perfectly.

Personally, I really like the song and think it's a great addition to the catalog. Very much in the vein of Beer Run but now Garth is the "classic" artist in the duo, haha!! But to Outcast's point, if Blake Shelton really said that and if that's how he feels, then I can totally see why folks who like and appreciate classic country music would be turned off by him. We all have different tastes, but like Ryan said, we all love Garth. If Outcast chooses to boycott this song for the reasons he's stated, then good for him, and thanks to him for sharing an alternate opinion. If garthcop, like me, loves the new song and wants to promote the heck out of it on these boards, then that's awesome too. We can all coexist and share our opinions. The best part is that not a single one of us ever HAS to change OUR opinion just because someone else expressed theirs.

And I get that sometimes the air around here can feel negative. I contribute to that in spades. But there's a lot of positivity too. Let's not forget that.

rhd13
06-18-2019, 01:47 PM
I was going to chime in, but you said it perfectly.

Personally, I really like the song and think it's a great addition to the catalog. Very much in the vein of Beer Run but now Garth is the "classic" artist in the duo, haha!! But to Outcast's point, if Blake Shelton really said that and if that's how he feels, then I can totally see why folks who like and appreciate classic country music would be turned off by him. We all have different tastes, but like Ryan said, we all love Garth. If Outcast chooses to boycott this song for the reasons he's stated, then good for him, and thanks to him for sharing an alternate opinion. If garthcop, like me, loves the new song and wants to promote the heck out of it on these boards, then that's awesome too. We can all coexist and share our opinions. The best part is that not a single one of us ever HAS to change OUR opinion just because someone else expressed theirs.

And I get that sometimes the air around here can feel negative. I contribute to that in spades. But there's a lot of positivity too. Let's not forget that.

Agreed, I'm very excited about the new song. I have not heard it yet because I refuse to sit by my radio waiting for it to come on. Will hear it eventually.

I'm excited about a lot of things:
- Triple Live and the various covers (which I plan to collect on CD if they are released that way)
- Fun
- The next Anthology installment
- Actually getting the vinyl set
- Diamond Series (if the vinyl set isn't actually it renamed)

Emerald Isle
06-18-2019, 02:50 PM
Agreed, I'm very excited about the new song. I have not heard it yet because I refuse to sit by my radio waiting for it to come on. Will hear it eventually.

Listen free and legally here: https://vimeo.com/342960845

ElectricOutcast
06-18-2019, 03:01 PM

I do support Garth, I'm very loyal to him, but him teaming up with a Sell-Out, who bashes people that actually like LYRICS over MELODY, is something I will not get behind. The closest thing I'll come to a compromise is replacing that track with "I'll Be The Wind" with Martina McBride or maybe get somebody that can make a digital duet involving Garth and Wade Bowen doing Cold Shoulder.

One more thing I will say: I have NO problem with Country Music evolving, if the lyrics AREN'T THE JINGLE FOR A BEER COMMERCIAL! That's all I'm asking, it ain't a hard concept to grasp people!

Skywise
06-18-2019, 06:01 PM
For the record, I'm still on a hiatus from being an active member over here, but I need to come back and explain to everyone why I will not be supporting Dive Bar with Blake Shelton.

Now when I was younger and when Garth was starting to begin his retirement phase, Blake had actually come along and put out some songs that I actually liked back in the day. (Austin, Ol Red, Baby, Some Beach, Goodbye Time) But that was from 2001 till 2007, and after that he wanted to copy off the success of Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan and be completely Bro-Country to the point where people like myself started to hate him for it and he had gotten so sold out to the point where in 2013 he made this comment:

Not only did I severely disagree with that, this comment here made me lose any amount of respect I had for him back in 2001 and have refused to listen to any of his stuff since. Now I get why Garth is teaming up with Blake, he wants to try to be relevant on radio again, but going with Blake Shelton is the wrong way to go. I'd have been better off with him re-teaming with Chris Stapleton again (and I'm referring to Chris being part of the BIAOMR Sessions) and make a more formal duet, at least I'd have been happy as a consumer. Or I also would have been happy with him bringing in somebody from the Texas/Red Dirt genre. But Blake Shelton is a deal breaker for me and that is the reason why I will not support or even REMOTELY listen to this song.

I know many of you might disagree with me on this, but this is my decision and I'm sticking with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJwjvKmnDtY talks about this, at about the 6:40 mark... sounds like it was more about old school country and not trying to be like Jason Aldean/Luke Bryan etc.. evidently he went back on twitter after Ray Price responded to his comment (which you have almost word for word accurate up there :) ) by saying on twitter " Whoah- I heard I offended one of my all time favorite artists ray price by my statement 'nobody wants to listen to their grandpa's music' and probably some other comments on that GAC backstory. I hate that I upset him..." and "I absolutely have no doubt that I could have worded it better, as always.. And I apologize to Mr Price, and any other heroes of mine that I may have offended." just interesting to be listening to something talking about this quote. I'd say give him another chance (but then again I should listen to my own advice I guess! I'll take a 'dive' and listen to a bit.. (maybe check out this 'god's country' song that garth was raving about)

randa16
06-19-2019, 12:53 AM
I get what you are saying and understand. I grew up on hee haw, George Jones and watching cmt when it was still country. When I watch the country award shows it makes me want to throw up. Country has lost it way and forgot who it was just to appeal to a larger audience. I get that music evolves and times change but to watch it sell its soul is sad.

ElectricOutcast
06-19-2019, 10:35 AM
I get what you are saying and understand. I grew up on hee haw, George Jones and watching cmt when it was still country. When I watch the country award shows it makes me want to throw up. Country has lost it way and forgot who it was just to appeal to a larger audience. I get that music evolves and times change but to watch it sell its soul is sad.

You know what song puts all this in perspective for me? One Step Up by Springsteen. I know it's a song about a broken marriage, but it perfectly symbolizes the broken relationship between Country Music Fans and Artists. Sad thing is, I think even Garth knows that the relationship is broken and feels broken hearted about it.

garthcop
06-19-2019, 01:03 PM
You know what song puts all this in perspective for me? One Step Up by Springsteen. I know it's a song about a broken marriage, but it perfectly symbolizes the broken relationship between Country Music Fans and Artists. Sad thing is, I think even Garth knows that the relationship is broken and feels broken hearted about it.

I think it's a matter of realizing that things change. The older generation is usually not a fan of new stuff and is critical of it. I would disagree that there is a broken relationship. It's just not the relationship you may want or are used to from the past. The fans are different too and don't necessarily want how it used to be. Doesn't make it right or wrong. Just different culture and times. I go to country concerts frequently and there is definitely a strong relationship between those who are there and those they are there to see. But if you've already decided you don't like the music that is out today, it may be hard to see this.

ElectricOutcast
06-19-2019, 02:39 PM
It's why I've been following Texas Music Artists (Wade Bowen, Jack Ingram, Pat Green, Randy Rogers Band, Cody Canada and The Departed) more than Nashville ones lately because Texas delivers exactly what I want and although the people I mentioned have a harder rock sound, the lyrics are just perfect for me.

garthcop
06-19-2019, 03:59 PM
It's why I've been following Texas Music Artists (Wade Bowen, Jack Ingram, Pat Green, Randy Rogers Band, Cody Canada and The Departed) more than Nashville ones lately because Texas delivers exactly what I want and although the people I mentioned have a harder rock sound, the lyrics are just perfect for me.

Don't forget Casey Donahew. He's from the town I work in. His wife spoke to my students a few years ago. That's how I learned iTunes killed the music industry. They experienced it first hand as an independent artist. She said most of their income has to come from the merch they sale at the concerts, not the actual music.

ElectricOutcast
06-20-2019, 08:46 AM
I think it's a matter of realizing that things change. The older generation is usually not a fan of new stuff and is critical of it. I would disagree that there is a broken relationship. It's just not the relationship you may want or are used to from the past. The fans are different too and don't necessarily want how it used to be. Doesn't make it right or wrong. Just different culture and times. I go to country concerts frequently and there is definitely a strong relationship between those who are there and those they are there to see. But if you've already decided you don't like the music that is out today, it may be hard to see this.

BTW I'm not trying to knock your opinion or anything, but if Country Radio is making up 8% of the market with Pop, Rock, R&B, Latin and even K-Pop (Korean Pop) in front, that to me spells broken relationship. That means that nobody is turning on Country Radio Stations anymore because they just suck.

garthcop
06-20-2019, 11:42 AM
BTW I'm not trying to knock your opinion or anything, but if Country Radio is making up 8% of the market with Pop, Rock, R&B, Latin and even K-Pop (Korean Pop) in front, that to me spells broken relationship. That means that nobody is turning on Country Radio Stations anymore because they just suck.

I won't argue with you on that. They overplay the pop country type songs because I'm sure they get their money from that. I like Thomas Rhett but it's crazy how much pop he has in his songs. And of course you hear him ever time you turn on the radio. Garth wants to give back to radio and let them have access to his new stuff first, but they are done with him after the newness wears off.

ElectricOutcast
08-16-2019, 04:17 PM
Once a Bro-Country sellout, always a Bro-Country sellout (warning contains uncomfortable language): https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/blake-sheltons-new-song-hell-right-a-rant/

Brett Dale
08-16-2019, 05:49 PM
Once a Bro-Country sellout, always a Bro-Country sellout (warning contains uncomfortable language): https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/blake-sheltons-new-song-hell-right-a-rant/

Haha, when Trigger gets angry he gets angry!

gbkubfan
08-29-2019, 04:02 AM
Well Dive Bar didn't move but a spot on Hot Country Songs. It sits at #28. Blake Shelton's new single with Trace Adkins is #30. And I didn't even see Trisha's song on the chart. I didn't look at other charts to see where it ranked. I think it is kinda dead. Hope he has a better single for the album release. Hopefully his EOY will help whatever he is pushing this week besides Legacy. On Amazon TUH is still in the Top Ten. On a side note I helped someone find a Beyond the Season on Amazon so she could have a copy.