PDA

View Full Version : Garth and his record setting vinyl sales

gbkubfan
03-06-2019, 11:16 PM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/danafeldman/2019/03/06/garth-brooks-breaks-vinyl-sales-records-on-talkshoplive-with-420k-sold-in-18-hours/#75b7f8e648bb

good article on vinyl sales.

gbkubfan
03-07-2019, 06:47 AM
I was trying to go to sleep and was thinking about the vinyl. I can see Garth embracing this in the future. Downloading is not as popular and like all formats has seen a drop in usage. Vinyl has seen growth, streaming has seen growth. Vinyl is a way for him to control the product. Sure vinyl is small potatoes right now. But how many fans would turn to vinyl if it is the only way to get new music? People not into Garth but love vinyl will pick it up to check it out. I am sure those who like streaming and downloading will be unhappy but after listening to the quality of vinyl they may change their mind. I notice that in our small town Target, the vinyl is always selling most copies. I think part of that is because they are classics but people are buying them. I also notice the younger crowd is checking them out. Plus it is being sold at Target, Wally World and the Cracker Barral. We also have a great used record store that has tons of old vinyl which doesn't get counted in the RIAA figures. I think vinyl is selling better than people think but it is the albums released years ago and in used record stores so as I said, doesn't get counted. Back to my original start, I think Garth is on to something. He can control price, cut out the corporations, etc. I mean who knows, they rereleased Britney Spears first album on cassette for the 20th anniversary last year....

G&TTreknTech77
03-07-2019, 09:13 AM
While a laudable achievement, I have to throw some cold water on it.

First, the article reads like a press release. I'm not entirely sure how much independent reporting was done by the author of the article beyond the press release. Second, the sales number is massively inflated as they admit later in the article. Each order contains three boxes of 7 Vinyl records.

Skywise
03-07-2019, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=G&TTreknTech77;435843..., the sales number is massively inflated as they admit later in the article. Each order contains three boxes of 7 Vinyl records.[/QUOTE]

This is my issue with the hype over "Garth broke vinyl sales records" type of statements... DID HE? Yes.... "TECHNICALLY"....

Garth's 'sales' really were 20000 ( I believe the # was that)... it's just that you had 21 discs/albums in each 'unit'.. It's (still apparently - some people can't be fooled garth ;) about the #'s here with this one... about the sales 'figures'..

YouSoundBitter
03-07-2019, 05:14 PM
In this case, paying $100 for 7 pieces of media, I think it does deserve some credit for moving that much, in this digital age. IMO

Skywise
03-07-2019, 06:17 PM
In this case, paying $100 for 7 pieces of media, I think it does deserve some credit for moving that much, in this digital age. IMO

def. credit is due for moving 20k packages, sure.. in the digital age- it either shows the fanaticism/faith of the fanbase, or the gullibility of the same...

Can he keep it up when the next on sale dates happen, or when the packages lose the 'uniqueness' of the numbers, etc..