PDA

View Full Version : When did you first become a fan of Garth's

Steven75407
02-22-2019, 10:06 AM
I thought this would be a good topic. I'd like to know when you first became a fan of Garrh Brooks.

Here's mine. I think I told this before, but I was three years old when I first heard FILP on the radio. I remember asking my mom, "Who's that singing?" and she said, "Garth Brooks." I stopped whatever I was doing and just listened to the song. Had no clue what it was about, but I liked it. I've been a Garth fan since then.

The Fever
02-22-2019, 01:38 PM
It was March 1994, I was 11 years old and I was watching TV here in Ireland. There was a chat show on a Saturday night and some guy came on the TV and started singing. It was Garth and I loved what he sang. The day after there was a different song on the radio and it sounded like the guy on TV the previous night and I loved that song as well. He was in the country at the time because he was playing 11 concerts here in Ireland. I spent the next few months putting a tape together and recording his songs of the radio until the Christmas when I got the hits for Christmas. I was hooked on Garth ever since then and would buy a new tape if I ever had the money. I forgot about him during retirement but he came out of retirement and I was even more obsessed with him. I still love him like the first time I heard him. Hard to believe I have been a fan for 25 years. I'll never tire of him.

ElectricOutcast
02-22-2019, 07:59 PM
I was pretty much born with his music (born in 89), although my family has told me that it was because of his first TV special that I became a follower of his stuff. But here's the kicker, me being born with High-Functioning Autism, apparently my mom credits him with how a good chunk of my shell had been broken in my childhood, I know because she told me herself while I was going to see him in San Antonio.

Brett Dale
02-22-2019, 11:46 PM
In the late 80's I had seen a bit on Randy Travis on the TV show, Entertainment this week, so I thought I like the sound of that, and got into people like,
George Strait and a few others.

Now in New Zealand, country artists got no airplay back then, (apart from people like kenny rogers) so I hadnt heard of Garth, until my brother came home with "Ropin the wind" and told me
the guy at the cd store, told him, this guy is the biggest thing in country music.

I listened to it, and thought, pretty cool, although at the time, I thought Randy Travis was better, then I listen to it again and again and again.

Went to the same cd store and bought his debut cd and no fences.

Again, had no idea what type of show he put on, or had seen him on tv, and to my surprise I was walking in town, I guess around 1992/1993 and saw
all these posters that just had the words...

"Whats a Garth Brooks?, Watch TV3 to find out"

So I was all excited and had no idea what type of show he put on.

I watch the tv special and that was it for me. Blew me away, I was in awe.

Flash forward to 1994, and an ad come on for Garth, I thought cool, he must be releasing another CD, and then
released it was an ad for a concert here.

I remember thinking after the concert, I will never see another show like that in my life, and from that
moment on, Garth was the artist of my lifetime.

Steven75407
02-23-2019, 10:41 AM
Cool story, Brett! I like how Garth always talks about "no limit" as far as generations go at his concerts. I think on one of the Inside Studio G things, he said people who had been to his shows in the 90s brought their own kids to his shows on the last tour he did. Thats cool.

gbkubfan
02-23-2019, 04:39 PM
I have told this story before. I first became a fan of Garth in 1989. I heard Much To Young and was going through a need for change. The song spoke to me. When the holiday season rolled around, my friend John gave me a Tower Records gift certificate. I went to Tower to redeem it and they had an end cap with Garth and clint Black. I was beginning to really like the country music on the airwaves and had saw George Strait in concert. So I was deciding which cd to buy and much To Young pushed me into Garth's camp. Then No Fences came out, I saw him in concert with Judds, he was the middle act with Pirates of the Mississippi opening, Garth and the Judds. After seeing Garth I was floored. I wanted to leave when he was done but my date made me stay and watch the Judds. So I have been hooked for around 30 years. I started giving his music to my friends as gifts. Many are still fans to this day. For the first 600 cds I bought I had a list and the receipts (except for the ones I send to the record company for the Zooming cds). Before I had to downsize I had magazines, newspapers and various stuff of Garth's. I got rid of a lot of it because of space bt kept some thing like The Believer Magazines and some books and of course my cd collection. I can mention tv specials, the concerts, the Jay Leno tapings, Hollywood Squares and even the private photo op and autograph session I had but I have to say it was the first single that got me hooked. Thanks for the trip down memory lane Steven. :-)

Skywise
02-23-2019, 09:51 PM
Hmm- a quick version...

1991, i graduated from Hs and went to a college visit/orientation. While there a bunch of us piled in a car and went cruising downtown durango CO. I heard music (which was the first GB album) and asked "who is this" as the music wasn't 1/2 bad. "that's Garth Brooks" was the response.. I remembered that and when I got back home, and was at my youth director's house (the youth director at my church) on one of my 'pining away for a girl named michele" moments. I saw his copy of "No Fences". I borrowed it, listened, bought my own copy later that summer, and then bought RTW the day it came out- bought Garth's first album at thanksgiving break, and then have bought every single album/CD/collection after that the day they went on sale (with the exception of "the hits".. that one took me by surprise for some reason).. I became known as the 'garth encyclopedia' while at college.... my first show of Garth was 1992 at McNichol's Arena in Denver, first show of the RTW tour- lol I bought a scalped ticket for $75 the day before the show... last row as far as I could get from the stage and loved every minute of it. next show was 1993 in Pueblo CO at the state fair. Then saw Garth in 1996 at mcNichol's again, and then saw 3 shows in the 2014-2016 tour when he was in Denver, and flew to Indiana for the Notre Dame show. While a fan, I began collecting stuff of Garth's from an ad in country music magazine, and the rest (my collection, fandom, etc) is history :)

Garthfan92
02-24-2019, 12:21 AM
Love hearing these stories. I was 14 yrs old when I got a crash course in Garth's music the 4th of July '92. Long story short, my mom, sister & I had gone to Arlington Park Racetrack for the day to watch the horses, and then the fireworks that night. Weather was perfect all day, but then it rained while we were grabbing dinner. Fireworks had to be postponed, and we headed home early. My mom was a newer country fan, and had our local station on in the car. I usually tried to ignore it for the most part. Then they said "Don't forget, coming up at 10:00 our featured album of the week is Garth Brooks 13 greatest hits". (I didn't know that was one they put together on their own, as it usually was an actual full album the would play, but it was the first 13 singles.) He & Clint Black were about the only country artists at that point I thought were actually tolerable (for as much as I paid attention), so something just made me listen. That was it! Talked my mom into seeing him for my very first concert less than 2 months later, and there was definitely no going back! I became a country fan, and life-long Garth fan!

randa16
02-24-2019, 02:14 AM
I am 13 years old and my mom comes home and says we are going to the fair, great to me that is rides and animals. We get there and she says first we are going to watch a free concert, really are you kidding me mom who is it? Garth brooks WTF!!!! So this is right before friends in low places explodes and he is still a new act. He is performing in an outdoor rodeo area, his bus is sitting behind the stage and this place might seat 500 and there was probably 200 people there. He blew me away and after the concert I begged my mom to stay for the second one (he did 2 shows that night) she agreed and for the second one I walked up to the stage. Garth looks at me while singing and winks and I was paralyzed. Game over I am hooked. I buy the album the next day and been hooked since then.
In high school I wore so many Garth shirts people called me Garth, met him at the linn county fair when I set up chairs for free in a barn because it rained and he had to move from the rodeo area. Been to more shows then I can remember. Garth’s songs are the theme to my life. Pick a song and I can tell you where I was and what I was doing.
To this day my dream is still to get a exact style Stetson from the no fences cover and a guitar.

Steven75407
02-25-2019, 07:26 AM
Cool that you got to meet him. I would love to. But I would like to sit down with the man and have a conversation with him about his career. Other than God and my parents, he's been my hero since that day in the fall of 1990 when his song about a guy crashing his old flame's wedding changed my life. I had heard country music before but FILP got me hooked.

LostSessions
02-25-2019, 11:35 PM
When Garth released Ropin' the Wind, my parents played that album all the time. As a 12 year old girl in middle school, it became "not cool" to listen to country music anymore and so I hadn't listened to country music in a few years, but I was loving these songs by this singer that my parents played his album daily. I asked my mom who this was singing and she told me Garth Brooks. I wanted to know who because I was going to go to the mall with my friends and buy this album so I could have my own copy. The kicker is, I didn't know this was the same singer who sang The Dance, a song I liked, and I didn't know this was the singer who sang Friends in Low Places, which I hated, because at least in Oklahoma, when that song took off, our pop station was playing that song and I just couldn't stand it because a country song did not belong on my favorite pop station! Then when The Chase was released, I was an official Garth Brooks fan and made it a tradition to always buy his music the day it came out. And I'm still doing that to this day. I have his albums when it was Capitol Nashville, then Liberty records, and Capitol records again. And my CD of Ropin' the Wind I obviously still have, and there is not even a visible fingerprint on the CD I have taken such great care if it.

gbkubfan
02-26-2019, 12:29 AM
I forgot about the midnight and early morning's lining up for Garth's CDs. I was living in Sacramento and would hit Tower Records. They thought I was crazy when I went to pay. I usually had 7 to 11 CDs and a couple cassettes. Loved meeting other Garth fans in line. Meeting the country radio dj Pat S. I actually lent him my Hungry Years tape and he did a radio show with a cleaned up version. I miss those days, the free posters etc.

crazyCAgirl
02-26-2019, 06:36 PM
No question, after I heard Much Too Young. I was obsessed with the song, and to this day I still get chills when I hear the fiddle opening. It will always be one of my favorite Garth songs. Of course then I had to go find out who this Chris Ledoux was he mentioned, and also became a fan. I became a Garth fan for life after meeting him in 1990. He was the first country artist I ever met in person, and he was amazing. Also the only artist I ever spent the night in front of Tower Records to get tickets for.

Many shows later I'm still here. Took my daughter and grandson to see him in Sacramento when he came out of retirement. Told them they couldn't be related to me unless they'd seen him in concert. lolololol They'll never be big fans, but I think they finally got what I'd been talking about for so many years.