PDA

View Full Version : The Voice contestant claims Garth Brooks song as own

themusicuni
05-22-2018, 02:00 PM
https://themusicuniverse.com/the-voice-contestant-claims-garth-brooks-song-as-own/

garthcop
05-22-2018, 02:11 PM
So is that not "on YouTube yet" comment some foreshadowing?

themusicuni
05-22-2018, 02:15 PM
So is that not "on YouTube yet" comment some foreshadowing?

:) It would be nice, but just saying anything is a possibility.

CharlieBarton
05-22-2018, 05:25 PM
Wow, that is crazy for her, or anyone for that matter, to claim the song as their own original. Maybe they thought because it's a hidden track that no one would notice LOL.

On another note, did anyone of y'all hear the Crystal Gayle original, What He's Doing Now?

Cat3192
05-22-2018, 05:29 PM
And immediately texted my thought to my daughter who loves “Leave the Light On”. She wasn’t watching the voice at the time. I just compared lyrics and they’re the same. Do we know who actually wrote the song?

CharlieBarton
05-22-2018, 05:31 PM
I just compared lyrics and they’re the same. Do we know who actually wrote the song?

Randy Goodrum and Tommy Simms.

Simms helped produce her version.

Cat3192
05-22-2018, 05:33 PM
And immediately texted my thought to my daughter who loves “Leave the Light On”. She wasn’t watching the voice at the time. I just compared lyrics and they’re the same. Do we know who actually wrote the song?

I just answered my own question by reading the article quoted above. A co-writer of Garth’s “Leave the Light On” co-produced Kyla’s version, changing some words here and there. I still think it’s bogus that she claimed to write it.

CharlieBarton
05-23-2018, 11:13 AM
There's a very real possibility that she had no idea that the song had already been recorded.

Simms may have shown her the song. She makes a couple of recommendations for lyric changes. Badda Boom badda bing, she and Simms wrote a song together and she most likely never knew the song was previously recorded by Garth Brooks.

Emerald Isle
05-23-2018, 01:41 PM
There's a very real possibility that she had no idea that the song had already been recorded.

Simms may have shown her the song. She makes a couple of recommendations for lyric changes. Badda Boom badda bing, she and Simms wrote a song together and she most likely never knew the song was previously recorded by Garth Brooks.

But Simms knew, so... perhaps he should have told her, maybe?

themusicuni
05-23-2018, 11:27 PM
We’ve updated the article with a comment from the song producer.

CharlieBarton
05-24-2018, 11:47 AM
But Simms knew, so... perhaps he should have told her, maybe?

Certainly not defending Simms

Scarecrow
05-24-2018, 09:51 PM
Tommy Simms wrote songs for chris gaines too

Scarecrow
05-24-2018, 10:20 PM
Wow, that is crazy for her, or anyone for that matter, to claim the song as their own original. Maybe they thought because it's a hidden track that no one would notice LOL.

On another note, did anyone of y'all hear the Crystal Gayle original, What He's Doing Now?

Garth wrote that song but in 1990 Crystal Gayle released it on her album but never as a single.

themusicuni
05-25-2018, 01:34 AM
We have followed up by speaking with Tommy Sims.

https://themusicuniverse.com/songwriter-tommy-sims-addresses-voice-song-mixup/

Lowland_Kid
05-25-2018, 05:55 AM
Thanks, that does seem to clear it up.

CharlieBarton
05-25-2018, 12:17 PM
Garth wrote that song but in 1990 Crystal Gayle released it on her album but never as a single.

I was being facetious

CharlieBarton
05-25-2018, 12:24 PM
We have followed up by speaking with Tommy Sims.

https://themusicuniverse.com/songwriter-tommy-sims-addresses-voice-song-mixup/

Thanks for posting the follow up. It certainly clears up a lot of the confusion. I was fairly certain that she did not intentionally try to mislead anyone.