PDA

View Full Version : New albums every year

CharlieBarton
12-19-2016, 03:04 AM
When Garth was in heyday, he was basically releasing an album every year. At this point, my wish is for Garth to do just that. I would also like to see him stop trying to impress the new generation and concentrate on pleasing his hard core fans. Give us a "country" album with that incredible Garth sound that we all love and crave. Don't worry about sales and charts, just make good "country" songs. I guarantee, the hardcore fans will be there to buy it, year in, year out.

Skywise
12-19-2016, 12:31 PM
When Garth was in heyday, he was basically releasing an album every year. At this point, my wish is for Garth to do just that. I would also like to see him stop trying to impress the new generation and concentrate on pleasing his hard core fans. Give us a "country" album with that incredible Garth sound that we all love and crave. Don't worry about sales and charts, just make good "country" songs. I guarantee, the hardcore fans will be there to buy it, year in, year out.

I think it'd be a nice thing, certainly.. To have Garth do just that (an album a year).. I have a LITTLE issue with 'stop trying to impress the new generation and concentrate on pleasing his hardcore fans'.. That's a quick road to (well quicker than he's currently traveling) irrelevancy. IF Garth's going to continue on at all, he has to eventually get new blood in his fanbase.. you have to have some sort of growth. you CANT rely solely on what was, or nostalgia, or the past... of you become part of it, relevancy wise.

I harp on it a lot but look at KISS.. Look at what they were.. . look at what they have done over the last 20 years... SURE they have their legions of fans.. but they've faded from releasing new music (since the 'reunion' in 1996, they've released Psycho Circus (1998), Sonic Boom (2009), Monster (2012) as studio albums)... the rest of their releases have been live albums (trying to capture their original Live album success) or compilations ("the best of kiss, KISS 40, decades of decibels, Alive 1975-2000, ikons, the casablanca singles...) they haven't released a real single since 2012..

Garth, if he doesn't at least make an effort to reach the 'new generation', will slide into that irrelevancy... Theres a 'law of diminishing returns' too. Sure,e Garth's first comeback tour has been phenomenal... (EOTY award winning actually ;) )... BUT.....

keep up another tour... and another... and another.. without bringing in new fans, or a new generation..

eventually.. the fanbase, non hardcore/buy and see and follow EVERY LITTLE THING GARTH DOES ones will go away... and contrary to what he may say to the public, sales and charts and numbers and records do matter to him.. and he won't be able to sustain them..

Now that being said, I also agree..

Give us a 'country album' with that 'Garth sound' (though what was 'that garth sound'? classic 90s garth of 90-93? the FH-7's "era" of 95-97? the DL sound? the Chris Gaines flop? The scarecrow era, or the "new era" of MAM/GS ?)..
Make good country songs..
release the younger generation can teach you something (about digital 'sales' and promotions...) and don't be afraid to learn from them fully

And yes, release more new Garth music, not compilations/rehashes/re-imaginings.... with a Garth sound.....

As much as I hate to say it (as a hardcore fan..) don't focus on the hardcore fans.. focus on growth.. the hardcore fans will be there.. Although the influence level will never be what it was, the new fans will help maintain a level of importance and relevance, and well, growth that will drive to new music and more music in this, the 2nd 'chapter' of the garth story

Emerald Isle
12-19-2016, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I'm with Skywise: what do you mean he should release a "country" album? And what "incredible Garth sound" are you referring to? Are you implying that MAM and GS aren't country and/or that they don't have Garth's sound?

If that's what your suggesting, then I 100% disagree with that suggestion. I think MAM is a pretty good album that Garth makes completely his. Songs like She's Tired of Boys, Mom, Rodeo & Juliet, Midnight Train, Send Em On Down the Road, and Cowboys Forever are very country. Gunslinger, to my ears, has a VERY classic Garth sound. Honky-Tonk Somewhere, Ask Me How I Know, He really Loves You, Whiskey to Wine, Cowboys & Friends, and 8teen are all undeniably country, and I think the album as a whole sounds like a cross between Ropin the Wind and Fresh Horses.

I don't want to put words in your mouth, so please correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you want him to make just make No Fences 2. Don't get me wrong, I understand that, since that is the album that has sold the most and was likely the one that brought many of us to Garth in the first place. (Even so, No Fences is probably only my 4th or 5th favorite Garth album). But artists can't do that. They can't just make the same album over and over and over again (unless you're AC/DC, but that's another discussion). Especially if that's not where the artists current tastes or heart is at.

I like all different kinds of music, and one of the things I hear all the time from fans of older bands and artists is "Man, I wish [X] band would just do what they did back when they were at their peak." Metallica fans continually gripe that nothing they do today is as good as Master of Puppets. U2 fans lament all the time that nothing will ever be as good as The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby.

For those fans, it seems it's more about nostalgia than actually being a fan of the artist. They want the artist to just keep doing what they were doing 20-30 years ago, either because that's the type of music that the fan most prefers, or so that the fan can go back to feeling like they did when the old stuff was new, so to speak. But no artist can do that. If there are artists out there who just record the same album over and over, like AC/DC, then I feel really bad for them. How absolutely and crushingly boring that must be for them --- to feel like they can never grow, never evolve, never experiment, and never do anything different.

One of the things I love about Garth is that every album has a different sound and personality. Heaven bless George Strait, but I could never listen to all of his albums over and over the way I listen to Garth. And one of the main reasons for that is that every Garth album is distinct. George's albums on the other hand, while each has great classic songs, sound so much alike that I hardly distinguish (or even care) which album is which.

I have been a very vocal critic of Garth's business decisions and strategies at times. And there are many things I think he should change or could do better. But one thing I 100% don't ever want him to do is make music he doesn't care about or that he doesn't feel, just because he's trying to replicate an album or sound from 25 years ago. I want him to record and release whatever gets him excited, whatever he feels passionately about, and whatever he's feeling at the moment, no matter the sound, no matter whether it will chart, and no matter what he's recorded in the past. I think the diversity on MAM and GS show that he is doing just that. If every album was just a No Fences rehash, then I doubt I would care as much about Garth, or that I would be as big of a fan as I am.

Just my 2 cents though.

CharlieBarton
12-19-2016, 06:01 PM
Very good points made by both of you. I, too, think MAM is a very good album. GS on the other hand is very disappointing to me. Three songs basically ruin the entire thing. Most of the others are average at best. I do agree that each album has it's own sound, and I dig that as well. Maybe his next album (hopefully next year) will bring it back around for me. Nice points guys.

Garthmedic
12-19-2016, 06:35 PM
Fantastic perspectives!

Mr_Sevens
12-19-2016, 07:44 PM
I believe a lot of artists rediscover success when they stop chasing trends. A real, solid country album may not sell a ton, but it'd a lot more toward winning him another Grammy.

I think I've mentioned this before...but look at Tim McGraw. He's started recording some real country songs again lately and they've given him new life at radio.

Emerald Isle
12-19-2016, 10:25 PM
I believe a lot of artists rediscover success when they stop chasing trends. A real, solid country album may not sell a ton, but it'd a lot more toward winning him another Grammy.

I think I've mentioned this before...but look at Tim McGraw. He's started recording some real country songs again lately and they've given him new life at radio.

I will bet you money that if you asked Garth, he'd say Gunslinger IS a solid country album. Haha.

The other thing I'll say is, based on the Vegas shows, the BIAOMR set, and the Sirius channel, Garth's musical tastes are super broad. And once you see that, you can totally pinpoint that broad influence across the catalog. So when Garth writes a song, there's no saying whether he'll approach it as a country song, a rock song, an R&B tune, or whatever. But to Garth, I don't think it matters, as long as the "music" is good. Sure, he considers himself a "country" artist, but I don't think he's ever going to record a full album of just straight country songs anymore because I think he has way too much fun mixing up and playing with the different genres he grew up on. But then again, like I said, if you asked him about Gunslinger, it's entirely possible that he might just say that it IS a full album of just straight country songs. So who knows.

garthtacular
12-20-2016, 12:02 AM
This may seem ridiculous or not but what if sometime in the future garth decides to release albums from the compilation albums separately:
The boxed set from Blame it all on my Roots- each album is sold separately not as a set
The Ulitimate collection- each album is sold separately not as a boxed set

He could also put together an album of duets that he has already recorded
George Jones, Yearwood, Steve warner, Chirs Ledux, , Billy Joel, Don Mclean, and others that I can't think of right now.

randa16
12-20-2016, 10:12 AM
I would love for him to release a new album every year like he use to. I however do not want anymore box sets unless the entire box set is new music. I love garth but its enough with the box sets.

I love the original Garth Brooks album, it is my favorite off all his albums. I love the old style country and know what you are saying about traditional country. I was not a huge fan of MAM, for me it just was Garth trying too hard to become pop country and fit in. Gunslinger was the perfect Garth album for me, it had the old garth sound (Cowboy's and friends) and also new garth sound (Weekend). If Garth comes out with a album once a year and does it 50/50 with old sound and new sound I think it would please both the old fans and the new fans.

Charles
12-20-2016, 11:18 AM
I honestly hope Garth puts out a new record every year! But before we get done with the "old stuff" or the boxsets......I want Garth on vinyl!!

But back to the subject, I'd love a new Garth album every year!!!! I love Gunslinger and Machine.

ElectricOutcast
12-20-2016, 11:42 AM
See I'm a little apprehensive about this, on one hand, I do agree that if Garth were to have a productive output of new material yeah it would help wake some people up. But I'm also a believer in crafting great art and not have it either become stale or just flat out suck. I'd be willing to compromise on him putting out another disc of unreleased or unrecorded material, hell even have him release official bootlegs of past concerts (like what Bruce Springsteen is doing). But if he were to write new material for a new album every year and not have a chance to make improvements on it, I think a strategy like that is just flat out stupid.

garthcop
12-20-2016, 07:47 PM
Garth started out releasing an album every the year for the first two or three but then he went to every other year.
Fresh Horses - 95
Sevens - 97
Chris Gaines - 99
Scarecrow - 01

YouSoundBitter
12-20-2016, 09:09 PM
8 albums in his first 6 years!

Emerald Isle
12-20-2016, 10:22 PM
8 albums in his first 6 years!

It's not like he's been slacking lately either:

2013: BIAOMR
2014: MAM, Double Live 25, remixed catalog
2016: Gunslinger, Christmas Together, The Ultimate Collection

Skywise
12-21-2016, 01:53 AM
I will bet you money that if you asked Garth, he'd say Gunslinger IS a solid country album. Haha. ain't that the truth! Only thing is (at least personally speaking) I've long since passed from blindly supporting everything garth says just because he's garth.. (no emerald or anyone else, I'm not saying anyone does here specifically)

The other thing I'll say is, based on the Vegas shows, the BIAOMR set, and the Sirius channel, Garth's musical tastes are super broad. And once you see that, you can totally pinpoint that broad influence across the catalog. So when Garth writes a song, there's no saying whether he'll approach it as a country song, a rock song, an R&B tune, or whatever. But to Garth, I don't think it matters, as long as the "music" is good. Sure, he considers himself a "country" artist, but I don't think he's ever going to record a full album of just straight country songs anymore because I think he has way too much fun mixing up and playing with the different genres he grew up on. very true.. and also possible..

But then again, like I said, if you asked him about Gunslinger, it's entirely possible that he might just say that it IS a full album of just straight country songs. So who knows.
hmm- I think it'd be "this is the most "garth" thing I've ever done".. (I think that's the established 'company line' quote ;) )

Skywise
12-21-2016, 01:55 AM
This may seem ridiculous or not but what if sometime in the future garth decides to release albums from the compilation albums separately:
The boxed set from Blame it all on my Roots- each album is sold separately not as a set
The Ulitimate collection- each album is sold separately not as a boxed set

He could also put together an album of duets that he has already recorded
George Jones, Yearwood, Steve warner, Chirs Ledux, , Billy Joel, Don Mclean, and others that I can't think of right now.

don't know if it happens or not, but it's a def. possibility.. I'd wager something like that would happen more likely than not after he's passed on (it sounds like something the estate may try to do... or not?) which begs questions of what type of album should Garth release in the future, in this vein? what type of album would we like to see released?

Skywise
12-21-2016, 02:01 AM
It's not like he's been slacking lately either:

2013: BIAOMR
2014: MAM, Double Live 25, remixed catalog
2016: Gunslinger, Christmas Together, The Ultimate Collection

hmm- and with those releases... how much was truly 'new' music?

MAM, GS, CT, and select 'snippets' from TUC.... he's not done TOO much totally new lately.. BUT.... I'm glad that he's back to putting out music and trying to at least be an artist again!