PDA

View Full Version : Is Garth losing his voice?

coco1997
11-27-2016, 03:19 PM
There's been a lot of discussion about the quality of Garth's vocals on "Gunslinger." Most attribute this to Mark Miller, whom I think we can all agree is no Allen Reynolds. I personally feel "Gunslinger" unfortunately has some of Garth's worst vocals to date, especially on songs like "Bang! Bang!" and "Ask Me How I Know," where he appears to be flatting all over the place. However, I began to notice a decline in his vocal performance on "Man Against Machine."

My question is whether you feel this can all be chalked up to Mark Miller, or has Garth started to lose his voice as he's gotten older?

Skywise
11-27-2016, 03:30 PM
good question I guess :)

I'd say that it's more likely production issues.. I don't feel Garth's 'losing his voice' as he gets older... that's just me though

DuckStreetCowboy
11-27-2016, 03:42 PM
The Ryman performance would beg to differ.

coco1997
11-27-2016, 04:16 PM
good question I guess :)

I'd say that it's more likely production issues.. I don't feel Garth's 'losing his voice' as he gets older... that's just me though

Maybe I should have said "losing some of his voice." Obviously the guy can still sing, but I feel his performances on the last two albums, "Gunslinger" in particular, lack a lot of the 'punch' we're used to hearing from Garth.

garthcop
11-27-2016, 08:22 PM
I've been to several of his shows the last two years. It seems it all depends on how much rest he has had. So I would say the albums have to do with production.

CBooUF
11-27-2016, 09:32 PM
I think it depends on the song. Some of them simply require more strength than his 50+ year old voice can do. He isn't 30 anymore. More Than A Memory was probably the last power ballad where he sounded like he did in his prime. On Gunslinger, he sounds best on Cowboys and Friends.

fences2312
11-27-2016, 11:01 PM
Also, remember, Garth is now recording digitally. Randy Travis first recorded digitally on DreamWorks and hated the way his voice sounded. I believe its the same issue here. We've never truly heard Garth's voice digitally. Plus, his voice has aged 15 years and let's face it, there are just some notes he ain't gonna be able to hit anymore.

Futhermore, I believe Garth is self-producing and using Mark Millar as a poster boy. None of these songs have that "honey" feel that we've all come to know and love, and some of the mixes sound as if a college student pieced them together on his home Mac using GarageBand.

He's not doing enough takes. It's "Wham Bam Thank You ma'am".... (which he should record by the way).

This whole process felt rushed.

coco1997
11-28-2016, 12:17 AM
He's not doing enough takes. It's "Wham Bam Thank You ma'am".... (which he should record by the way).

This whole process felt rushed.

Yeah, I have to wonder if the whole frying his phone with all his demos on it really screwed up the album, forcing him to do a rush job on the vocals to have it out by a certain date.

Lowland_Kid
11-28-2016, 07:46 AM
When you see him live, he sounds as good as he ever did. (That is, unless he does 5 shows in a row and you only get to see the last one). I really don't think he is losing his voice. Must be the production.