PDA

View Full Version : Ask Me How I Know is different?

jturtels
11-26-2016, 06:42 PM
From the Garth Brooks Believers FB page:

"Here is something interesting for you.. The version of Ask Me How I Know on the Target version is in fact different to the standard release. Writer Mitch Rossell said in a fb live video that the vocals are different. The standard version is more "raw". Rossell also plays acoustic guitar on the track."

garthcop
11-26-2016, 06:54 PM
Do you think this will be his next singer or his duet with Trisha? He said the next release will be a ballad. I think this one is a good one!

CBooUF
11-26-2016, 09:11 PM
It definitely is a different vocal. It is smoother in the Target box. Standalone version sounds like he recorded it the Monday after a weekend of shows. Raspier and strained.

coco1997
11-27-2016, 10:29 AM
It definitely is a different vocal. It is smoother in the Target box. Standalone version sounds like he recorded it the Monday after a weekend of shows. Raspier and strained.

Which version do you prefer? I honestly wasn't too impressed by the limited edition vocals. Garth seems to be flatting throughout the song.

CER956
11-27-2016, 12:04 PM
I guess I have to download Gunslinger from my digital bundle after all!

CBooUF
11-27-2016, 01:59 PM
I prefer the box set version.

coco1997
11-27-2016, 02:34 PM
It annoys me that Garth would put out a superior mix of "Gunslinger" on the standard edition, thereby forcing fans who bought the Target bundle/boxset because they thought it was a great deal to also purchase the standard edition if they really want to hear it.

I tried listening to the 30 second sample of "Ask Me How I Know" on Amazon, and of course the player isn't working. :rolleyes:

ManAgnstMachine
11-27-2016, 02:47 PM
Just listened to both versions back to back and it is absolutely different. However, I still prefer the boxed set version.
The boxed set version has a little more power to it, and it's definitely more polished. I feel like the standalone version has notes that are shortened and cut off , as well as the severe rasp on the power notes which, does make you think his voice wasn't 100% when he recorded it. It's not necessarily a black and white different, but if you listen you can definitely notice the different vocal.

Skywise
11-27-2016, 03:32 PM
dang, I'll have to listen to them back to back now.. can you point out the biggest 'difference points' Jim? (i.e. pick out say 3?) I have to get the standalone version, I do have the download from the bundle, and of course the box set

ManAgnstMachine
11-27-2016, 03:57 PM
Skywise, ask you shall receive... haha

The Ghosttunes bundle is the standalone version so that mp3 will suffice for comparision, with the boxed set version.

1) In the chorus' "start feelin' things you've never felt and spendin' all your time."...
the vocal sung for "time" in the boxed set is a short but sweet GB run...the standalone version is one note...cut his air off of the note.

2) Listen to the chorus' themselves, you can here a significantly raspier voice in the GhostTunes/standalone version.

3)The rest of the details are minor, the music mix/strings seem to be up on the Boxed set version, and little things like the chorus starts with "but one day you'll meet the girl" on the boxed set version, and "'cuz one day you'll meet the girl" on the standalone.

I almost feel like he went back in to more clearly enunciate some of the lines for the standalone version because with the way GB sings sometimes,his words come out a little more "Oklahoma" with the way he says things. (which I like) Plus the standalone is definitely more raw with his total vocal, but I don't think it adds to the song. Just my opinion.

Skywise
11-27-2016, 04:25 PM
thx Jim- I'll re-listen... for difference spotting purposes :)