PDA

View Full Version : Target box set Nov 11: Studio album Nov 25th

Brett Dale
10-15-2016, 07:09 PM
So the new studio album which is in the boxset, is released on Nov 11. (only in target)

Then the album is released everywhere on November 25th.

Does anyone found this a bit strange?

I guess there is a reason and a plan for it though.

Mr_Sevens
10-15-2016, 07:13 PM
It's not uncommon for new albums to have a two week exclusivity deal with a certain retailer.

garthcop
10-15-2016, 07:15 PM
It's not uncommon for new albums to have a two week exclusivity deal with a certain retailer.

Makes sense. Incentive to buy the box set

coco1997
10-15-2016, 07:27 PM
So the new studio album which is in the boxset, is released on Nov 11. (only in target)

It makes sense from a financial standpoint. Fans who won't be able to wait until the 25th will be forced to buy the box set, which will obviously cost more. Then you drop a different edition of the album two weeks later.

Emerald Isle
10-15-2016, 07:37 PM
Yep. Pure marketing. If you buy the boxed set to get the new album, it'll count as 10 discs/albums sold. In other words, he gets to add 10 million copies to his RIAA tally if he sells just 1 million boxes.

And like others have said, I would plan on the standalone version having a track or two on it that isn't on the version in the Target boxed set, just to get folks who bought the boxed set to buy that too.

garthcop
10-15-2016, 08:01 PM
Why should we be surprised. We know that Garth got to his record numbers through saavy marketing. Not the continual release of new music.

jturtels
10-15-2016, 08:59 PM
Yep. Pure marketing. If you buy the boxed set to get the new album, it'll count as 10 discs/albums sold. In other words, he gets to add 10 million copies to his RIAA tally if he sells just 1 million boxes.

And like others have said, I would plan on the standalone version having a track or two on it that isn't on the version in the Target boxed set, just to get folks who bought the boxed set to buy that too.

yes, however....Those numbers won't add to current sales of previous albums, right? Since the discs in this boxed set are going to be compilations, they won't add to previous sales of No Fences, Ropin' the Wind, etc.

Here are my questions:
1) Will the new album in the boxed set contain the same tracks on the standalone version? (I'm assuming the answer is 'no.')
2) How many tracks will our version from GhostTunes be missing?
3) Garth mentioned that there would be a 'first edition.' Will that be in the boxed set or will that be a standalone only?
4) I'm really curious what the price of the boxed set will be. My guess is maybe $25-$30? How much were previous boxed sets?
5) Will there be a Christmas album/new album set as well?

I guess we'll know all of this soon enough. He mentioned in one of the Studio G's that Target had an awesome package.

jjlong79
10-15-2016, 10:33 PM
I wish this box set was being offered at other retailers other than Target. I really want to buy it but have boycotted them because of their bathroom and changing room policies. Will this only be offered at Target or get a later release at places like Walmart?

GBJR77
10-15-2016, 11:41 PM
I wish this box set was being offered at other retailers other than Target. I really want to buy it but have boycotted them because of their bathroom and changing room policies. Will this only be offered at Target or get a later release at places like Walmart?

This is EXACTLY why I was excited, and proud that he went Target exclusive.

Garthmedic
10-15-2016, 11:48 PM
I would imagine that it will be available on eBay a day or two after it's debut at Target. You might pay a bit more, but your boycott will stand.

rmila00
10-16-2016, 12:25 AM
This isn't a knock on Garth. I want him to be the #1 sealing artist. But I bet those who bought the bundle, with a promise of the new album, won't get it until the 25th. Which will make them buy the boxset too in order to get the new album on the 1st day of release.

Emerald Isle
10-16-2016, 01:06 AM
This isn't a knock on Garth. I want him to be the #1 sealing artist. But I bet those who bought the bundle, with a promise of the new album, won't get it until the 25th. Which will make them buy the boxset too in order to get the new album on the 1st day of release.

I hadn't thought of that, but I'll bet you're right.

coco1997
10-16-2016, 03:51 PM
Anyone know when the Target box set will be available for pre-order?

Emerald Isle
10-17-2016, 12:39 AM
Anyone know when the Target box set will be available for pre-order?

Probably Oct 24th. I know the Gunslinger cover will be revealed tomorrow, but isn't the 24th when he will announce all the details about the Target box?

fences2312
10-17-2016, 01:29 AM
Gotta feeling the Target verson is the Special Edition with extra tracks and different artwork. Still buying it, and the Nov edition and the digital copy from GhostTunes. :O

Skywise
10-17-2016, 02:16 AM
hate to say it (as one who has railed against re-releases at times, and Garth's marketing etc..) but I'll be getting the Target box, probably the ltd edition release of new album, and also the digital album (as part of my gb.com purchase of the digital bundle)

kirkfitz
10-17-2016, 10:27 AM

Yeah, in Garth's mastermind of marketing, this makes perfect sense.... 2 Holiday releases. Veteran's Day shopping and for those of us anxiously awaiting the release of the box set. Then, November 25th.. Black Friday album release for everyone to add to Christmas gifts... Double marketing and prime shopping times.

CER956
10-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Well as I've mentioned before, I'm not keen on giving Garth too much of my money so no Xmas album for me and I won't double dip on the new record either. If the box is under $30 I'll pick it up if only because I love physical media. I don't care if he adds x amount of bonus tracks to the Black Friday release, if I get the box, that will be the version of the album I keep.

If the box doesn't add too many new tracks then I'll wait until Black Friday to pick up the disc released then.

I love Garth but I there's only so much I'm willing to spend on the guy! And I also have that new album coming my way courtesy of the bundle so....

Skywise
10-17-2016, 01:28 PM
Well as I've mentioned before, I'm not keen on giving Garth too much of my money so no Xmas album for me and I won't double dip on the new record either. If the box is under $30 I'll pick it up if only because I love physical media. I don't care if he adds x amount of bonus tracks to the Black Friday release, if I get the box, that will be the version of the album I keep.

If the box doesn't add too many new tracks then I'll wait until Black Friday to pick up the disc released then.

I love Garth but I there's only so much I'm willing to spend on the guy! And I also have that new album coming my way courtesy of the bundle so....

I can def understand your point(s). I know I'm a collector, but I drew the line at collecting the same album (DL) 10 times for all diff. artwork only, or the re-re-released albums of the original catalog. There are other ways to get the music honestly... I don't have to play my originals anymore, that's true- but the rehashing/re-releasing did seem to def. be more of a numbers thing to me (despite what protestations may be made against Garth and #'s.. They clearly matter to him)

With this set though? I think what will have me buying it regardless, other than being something new (it will have new music on it, and exclusives not found everywhere else.. ) is the culling together of the songs- one thing I loved about the McDonald's collection from 20+ years ago was the diff grouping of the songs.. I'm looking forward to seeing what's done in this set..

Garthoholic24
10-18-2016, 12:30 AM
I can't wait to see what he shows us next week in the box set should be a great Studio G

Emerald Isle
10-18-2016, 12:59 AM
yes, however....Those numbers won't add to current sales of previous albums, right? Since the discs in this boxed set are going to be compilations, they won't add to previous sales of No Fences, Ropin' the Wind, etc.

Realized this question never got answered. No, the new compilation discs won't be counted toward the totals for the past albums. Each disc will be counted on its own. For example, the RIAA counted the 4 discs in the BIAOMR box individually. The box itself sold 1 million copies. But it was counted as 1 million for Country Classics, 1 million for Blue-Eyed Soul, 1 million for Classic Rock, and 1 million for Melting Pot, so 4 million total.

This box will be counted similarly. If disc 1 is called "Driving Songs", it'll be tallied as its own album. Hope this helps.

jturtels
10-18-2016, 01:18 AM
Thank you!

CER956
10-18-2016, 12:29 PM
Realized this question never got answered. No, the new compilation discs won't be counted toward the totals for the past albums. Each disc will be counted on its own. For example, the RIAA counted the 4 discs in the BIAOMR box individually. The box itself sold 1 million copies. But it was counted as 1 million for Country Classics, 1 million for Blue-Eyed Soul, 1 million for Classic Rock, and 1 million for Melting Pot, so 4 million total.

This box will be counted similarly. If disc 1 is called "Driving Songs", it'll be tallied as its own album. Hope this helps.

So if this does as well as BIAOMR he gets to add another 10 million to his RIAA sales, not including what Gunslinger sells outside of the set?

That Garth!

Emerald Isle
10-18-2016, 12:40 PM
So if this does as well as BIAOMR he gets to add another 10 million to his RIAA sales, not including what Gunslinger sells outside of the set?

That Garth!

Remember, the RIAA tracks shipments, not sales. So if Target produces 1 million copies and distributes them to their stores for sale, then Garth will add 10 million albums to his totals regardless of how well the set actually sells.

I understand that for all of his past boxsets, a minimum of an x number of million units shipped was a prerequisite of each deal. I can't imagine this deal being any different, meaning I'll bet a part of the deal is that Target produce and ship 1 million copies. If true, then by being in the box, Gunslinger is virtually guaranteed to achieve platinum status even if only 200 actual copies are sold. Plus, like you said, he'll get to add to that however many copies of it are shipped when it's released on its own.

(I am not sure how the RIAA counts digital albums, since they aren't technically shipped. Perhaps those are measured by sales? I am also not clear on how streaming is counted, but I do know they came up with some sort of method a few years ago).

CER956
10-18-2016, 12:49 PM
Remember, the RIAA tracks shipments, not sales. So if Target produces 1 million copies and distributes them to their stores for sale, then Garth will add 10 million albums to his totals regardless of how well the set actually sells.

I understand that for all of his past boxsets, a minimum of an x number of million units shipped was a prerequisite of each deal. I can't imagine this deal being any different, meaning I'll bet a part of the deal is that Target produce and ship 1 million copies. If true, then by being in the box, Gunslinger is virtually guaranteed to achieve platinum status even if only 200 actual copies are sold. Plus, like you said, he'll get to add to that however many copies of it are shipped when it's released on its own.

(I am not sure how the RIAA counts digital albums, since they aren't technically shipped. Perhaps those are measured by sales? I am also not clear on how streaming is counted, but I do know they came up with some sort of method a few years ago).

Thanks for that very detailed response! Yes I'd forgotten that RIAA counts units shipped not sold.

Since I don't really follow the Inside Studio G series much, any word on when the Boxset contents are released? I'd think they'd be getting it ready for manufacturing at this point.

Emerald Isle
10-18-2016, 12:50 PM
Thanks for that very detailed response! Yes I'd forgotten that RIAA counts units shipped not sold.

Since I don't really follow the Inside Studio G series much, any word on when the Boxset contents are released? I'd think they'd be getting it ready for manufacturing at this point.

He said next week's Inside Studio G (Oct 24) is when they will reveal what's in the boxset.

Skywise
10-18-2016, 12:57 PM
i'll try to get screenshots of the 'reveal' of the contents.. just in case

CER956
10-18-2016, 01:04 PM
Awesome! If the boxset delivers and with George Strait putting his out too, I'm gonna have a honky-tonking holiday season!

Skywise
10-18-2016, 01:55 PM
Awesome! If the boxset delivers and with George Strait putting his out too, I'm gonna have a honky-tonking holiday season!

Strait's got another one coming out?

CER956
10-18-2016, 01:58 PM
Strait's got another one coming out?

Indeed!
George Strait’s Strait Out of the Box: Part 2 will be released Nov. 18 exclusively at Walmart.

Following 1995’s multi-platinum Strait Out of the Box, the new three-disc compilation features 56 songs spanning his career from 1996 to 2016 and includes 36 hit singles and 26 No. 1s.

His new single “Goin’ Goin’ Gone” is among two new songs on the Part 2 compilation.

The Country Music Hall of Famer’s latest studio album Cold Beer Conversation was released in Sept. 2015. His Strait to Vegas shows pick up Dec. 2 at Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena.

Other Strait compilations include 2004’s multi-platinum 50 Number Ones and 2007’s gold-selling 22 More Hits.

With 60 No. 1s and more than 70 million albums sold, Strait has more No. 1 songs than any other artist.
http://www.cmt.com/news/1771498/strait-out-of-the-box-part-2-coming-to-walmart/

Mr_Sevens
10-18-2016, 02:36 PM
Garth and Strait box sets in the same holiday season! What a time to be alive! Haha

Skywise
10-18-2016, 04:44 PM
Indeed!
George Strait’s Strait Out of the Box: Part 2 will be released Nov. 18 exclusively at Walmart.

Following 1995’s multi-platinum Strait Out of the Box, the new three-disc compilation features 56 songs spanning his career from 1996 to 2016 and includes 36 hit singles and 26 No. 1s.

His new single “Goin’ Goin’ Gone” is among two new songs on the Part 2 compilation.

The Country Music Hall of Famer’s latest studio album Cold Beer Conversation was released in Sept. 2015. His Strait to Vegas shows pick up Dec. 2 at Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena.

Other Strait compilations include 2004’s multi-platinum 50 Number Ones and 2007’s gold-selling 22 More Hits.

With 60 No. 1s and more than 70 million albums sold, Strait has more No. 1 songs than any other artist.
http://www.cmt.com/news/1771498/strait-out-of-the-box-part-2-coming-to-walmart/

hmm- interesting- I love Strait's music but I dont know if there's enough to get me to come out to get another one.. will have to see track listings.. interesting though!

Steven75407
10-28-2016, 10:33 PM
Strait owes us another boxed set. He should have done it in 2015 because it marked 20 years since the last one was released and as we all know he has a pickup truckload of material to back it up. Saw the track listing for the Garth one and I like how he is theming the different discs, yet why not include EVERYTHING he's recorded because he owns the recording rights?