PDA

View Full Version : Garth and Sinatra

ElectricOutcast
11-27-2015, 11:58 AM
So on CBS they're promoting a special highlighting the 100th Anniversary of the birth of Frank Sinatra and they had announced Garth would make an appearance, don't know if he'll be singing an American Standard or just talk about an era in Frank's life but seeing as how I'm planning to skip this years Christmas Carols in favor of old American Songbooks that Frank liked to sing I'm actually looking forward to this.

But it also begs the question that entered my mind last night and that is if Frank and Garth would've done a duet together, do you think it would've been a good one? From what Steve Wynn once said they would've been like two peas in a pod but to be honest with you I'm kinda on the fence with that mentality.

Because I really hadn't found any official record of Frank giving an opinion on Garth but something tells me, Frank wouldn't have had a flattering one, he probably would've been more like Hank Jr. or Waylon who had very bitter opinions on him.

On the other hand, though, he probably would've liked Garth but not enough for him to invite Garth to sing on his final two records which were the Duets albums.

Sorry if I'm sounding cynical but I'm just saying, I don't know how well they would've worked together and maybe you guys might have a different opinion.

mbarker
11-27-2015, 02:54 PM
Garth will be performing. It will be taped at the Encore in Las Vegas on Wednesday.

AHBAMember
11-27-2015, 06:18 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the song "My Way' would be pretty perfect for Garth (and vice versa)?

ElectricOutcast
11-27-2015, 06:55 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the song "My Way' would be pretty perfect for Garth (and vice versa)?

Actually I think he would kill on "In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning" some people call it a love gone bad song but I think of it as "The Dance" before "The Dance" in that it's a song about coping with the death of a loved one.

BLL
11-27-2015, 10:10 PM
That would be killer; I would love to G &T on 'Something Stupid' as well.

jturtels
12-06-2015, 10:59 PM
Garth killed the song he did....it was awesome. I'm guessing he'll do another. Surprised nobody has said anything here yet?

AHBAMember
12-07-2015, 12:09 AM
Garth killed the song he did....it was awesome. I'm guessing he'll do another. Surprised nobody has said anything here yet?

I kept expecting Trisha to show up on stage and sing with him...the first-person female version (which, I happen to like better.)

Now, I know "broads" is pretty mild, but they could have done the version with, "baron and earls...ermine and pearls...rest of the girls." If it had been anyone but Garth, it probably wouldn't have bothered me.

ElectricOutcast
12-07-2015, 12:55 AM

I meant to come here sooner but was so captivated on the show that I kept focus on the TV screen and forgot to come here. But yeah he did a fantastic job on "That Lady is a Tramp" I could almost see Sinatra himself raising his Jack Daniels glass in a toast of praise.

But I thought it was extra cool that he introduced U2 and they played a song that was originally pitched to Frank but Blue Eyes never got to record it. My guess is I think the song hit a little too close to home for Frank and what we've learned of his life, that and by the time the 90's came around, after his Duet albums, I think he was pretty much done with making records and they say his last public performance was in 95 three years before his death.

Skywise
12-07-2015, 02:14 AM
guess this is something I don't normally say but....... anyone tape/record it? I missed it this time...

The Fever
12-07-2015, 09:19 AM
guess this is something I don't normally say but....... anyone tape/record it? I missed it this time...

Its on YT. Do a search for Garth Brooks - The Lady is a Tramp. Its up there. He nailed it.

Skywise
12-07-2015, 09:22 AM
well, it's on YT, but it's not a great quality recording- at least it's watchable though- minus the border and not being full screen :)