PDA

View Full Version : Did you see Garth in Vegas?

Garthmedic
11-15-2015, 04:52 PM
Did you get the opportunity to see his intimate Las Vegas show at the Wynn?

Tell us about it!

Lowland_Kid
11-16-2015, 10:19 AM
Well, you sure know about my visit there! ;) :p

Brett Dale
11-17-2015, 06:04 AM
In 2010. Flew from New Zealand to visit my brother in the north east of the usa. On the way back stop off in vegas for a week, had gotten tickets online before I left to go
to the states. Totally amazing show, had seen him in New Zealand in 1994 and Phoenix in 1996, this was the first time to see him do the one man thing though.

What I really remember was how funny he was, I love the story he told about Randy Travis and the pop charts, and the strip club story he talked about when he was a teenager.

He had the crowd in the palm of his hand for the whole performance, he sang all his classics, unanswered prayers was a highlight for me.

Emerald Isle
11-17-2015, 09:29 AM
I remember when the Wynn shows first started, this place was hopping, with tons of people wanting to post their experiences about the show. But then the clamp came down saying that Garth didn't want anyone spoiling it, and so people just sort of went away. It almost became taboo to even talk about the Wynn shows except in vague platitudes and new show date announcements.

I guess if people can remember their experiences now, great. But they can hardly be as meaningful as they would have been right after the show. Just my opinion though.

callmefrenchie
11-19-2015, 04:33 PM
My mom and I did! We actually went to three shows; two the first weekend of the residency and the third almost a year later (after the price increase, ha!). We had an amazing time seeing Garth in such an intimate, special setting. We had really great seats the first show in the third or fourth row and since it was the very beginning of the run, Garth didn't have a real "plan." It seemed like he just wanted to talk to the fans and play what they asked. At one point he asked if anyone had a request and I jumped up with my hand in the air. He came over to our side and asked our names - I said "Hi, I'm Kelly and this is my mom, Nancy" and he said thanks for coming and tipped his hat and said "hello Miss Nancy" to my mom (she nearly died!!) and asked what I would like to hear. I asked if he would play "Belleau Wood" but knew he may turn me down. He seemed to freeze and said "you know, I don't ever play that song." My response was "I know" and smiled. He started playing it and I was in tears immediately. Garth had to pause at one point since he got pretty choked up himself. It was early December and I felt like it was the perfect song to request if I had a chance. He tipped his hat to us after the song ended and said "thank you, thank you for requesting that." I must say it was one of the best moments and his manager, Nancy, came up to us after the show saying how special it was to hear that song, especially given the time of year.

Our second Vegas show was the "late" show that same day and our seats weren't nearly as great so no requests on our end. He did take pictures with a couple celebrating an anniversary and sang "The Dance" to them. Our third show the following August was amazing, yet again, but very scripted. Much like the TV special a few years back. It's almost like I could recite the show word for word, but it's Garth and no one is surprised by that if you've seen him before ;)

I got to hear some really, really special songs during the Vegas shows like "Lonesome Dove," "The Red Strokes," "Alabama Clay" to name a few. It felt like he was always singing to you personally and to see him stripped down in jeans, a sweatshirt, work boots and a baseball cap with no band or back-up singers was a wonderful experience. It made Garth seem like a regular guy to me and years later when I had a chance to meet him, it really confirmed what I always thought. I'm so lucky to have seen the Vegas shows - they're wonderful memories.

gbgirl79
11-19-2015, 05:31 PM
I saw it and it was great!! I am really excited to see a show with the band though.