PDA

View Full Version : 2015 CMA Awards

mbarker
10-27-2015, 02:18 PM
CMA Awards are next Wednesday. I was hoping for performance of new single but so far I have not heard anything. It is in Nashville, but I am beginning to wonder if he will even be there... Shame if he would win Entertainer of the Year to not be there to accept.

gbroadtrip
10-27-2015, 02:50 PM
Quick look at the tour schedule shows that he'll be performing November 5-8 in San Diego... so he COULD make an appearance in Nashville on the 4th. I don't honestly recall how soon ahead of time then announce performers, etc.

Skywise
10-27-2015, 10:09 PM
I can venture a guess. He won't be there... but he won't win entertainer of the year either- (even though I'd love to see him win!)

Luke bryan, kenny Chesney, Eric Church, and Miranda Lambert are the competition.. My money's on Luke bryan- I'd love to see Garth win, but let's face it- his refusal to adapt to the changed music landscape more, coupled with the inane state of country music and radio, etc.. doesn't lend itself to the likelihood of him winning.

Would be nice to be able to say '5 time CMA Entertainer of the year' though...

gbkubfan
10-29-2015, 05:39 PM
Saw this on line

ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR: Garth Brooks, Luke Bryan, Kenny Chesney, Eric Church, Miranda Lambert.
Saw this on line

FEKADU: When Luke Bryan FINALLY won his first CMA last year — for entertainer of the year — Garth Brooks presented him with the award. Now, they're the top competitors for the honor. But Bryan will have to bow down — hopefully it won't be too hard in those skintight jeans — to the country veteran because Brooks and his giant cowboy hat are going home with this trophy.

HALL: My gut says Brooks, but my head says Chesney. Both stars are tied in this category with four wins apiece, and both have been breaking records for touring. Chesney has an advantage because he's had four singles from his latest album, while Brooks has struggled at radio. While country music loves a comeback story, CMA voters may consider Chesney an all-around winner.

GarthdaMan
10-30-2015, 07:56 PM
I anticipate Garth being there for the CMA's. I think he has a decent shot at winning. I figured he wouldn't win the ACM's since it is fan voted but this one might turn out differently.

Charles
10-31-2015, 04:26 PM
They gave it to George Strait last year I believe....that was all based on touring.

Blake Shelton won it one year....and that was all due to radio singles and the Voice...

What I'm trying to get at is Garth has a GREAT chance of winning it this year!

There's no clear-cut "formula" to the CMA voting...and Garth's tour has been HUGE!

rock815
11-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Garth is in Memphis today so at least he's in the same state already!!! Good sign? http://www.wtvm.com/story/30400956/former-president-jimmy-carter-to-visit-the-mid-south

BLL
11-02-2015, 08:29 PM
Trisha is being honoured by ASCAP right now, so they're in Nashville tonight. And it amazes me after all this time people still spell Trisha's name wrong....

Brett Dale
11-04-2015, 06:39 PM
What time does it start? And is there a live feed on the internet for those of us that dont like in the usa.

YouSoundBitter
11-04-2015, 08:14 PM
Garth and Trisha are on the way there now, if you haven't checked FB yet. I would guess 8 EST.

Emerald Isle
11-04-2015, 08:32 PM
Garth and Trisha are on the way there now, if you haven't checked FB yet. I would guess 8 EST.

I love that he's driving himself to the show. Can you imagine if you were stopped at a red light and looked over and, wham! There's Garth and Trisha!

BLL
11-04-2015, 09:55 PM
There's a 15 minute film on G's FB of the red carpet, with Miss Nancy leading the charge. Garth isn't bad at one handed filming!

Emerald Isle
11-05-2015, 12:00 AM
I'm not one to wax nostalgic about country's olden days, but I just don't get what people see in Luke Bryan.

Brett Dale
11-05-2015, 12:00 AM
Machine 2
Garth 0

Luke a better entertainer than Garth????

I guess the cma's took into account all the missteps of the comeback?

garthcop
11-05-2015, 12:02 AM
Luke is more relevant. This is what happens when you don't release new music.

Brett Dale
11-05-2015, 12:05 AM
How many tickets does Garth have to sell, 20 Million?

That was crazy.

Emerald Isle
11-05-2015, 12:08 AM
How many tickets does Garth have to sell, 20 Million?

That was crazy.

He needs a radio hit.

Brett Dale
11-05-2015, 12:09 AM
Did Garth perform tonight?

jturtels
11-05-2015, 12:11 AM
I'm not one to wax nostalgic about country's olden days, but I just don't get what people see in Luke Bryan.

Amen to that. Honestly, there are only a few country artists I like right now. In general, I felt like the CMAs were a freak show. Between Brad Paisley pulling his pants down in the first 3 minutes, the ponies running behind Kasey Musgraves, and Fallout Boy....it was just dumb. I miss the days of Clint Black, Vince Gill, Martina McBride....etc. I know Clint just put out a new album and Vince does every few years, but the popular stuff just isn't good right now!

wimpy77
11-05-2015, 12:22 AM
Amen to that. Honestly, there are only a few country artists I like right now. In general, I felt like the CMAs were a freak show. Between Brad Paisley pulling his pants down in the first 3 minutes, the ponies running behind Kasey Musgraves, and Fallout Boy....it was just dumb. I miss the days of Clint Black, Vince Gill, Martina McBride....etc. I know Clint just put out a new album and Vince does every few years, but the popular stuff just isn't good right now!

The current popular country isn't for you or me. Just learn to accept it.

Brett Dale
11-05-2015, 12:27 AM
Chris Stapleton did well, so thats good.

ElectricOutcast
11-05-2015, 12:53 AM
"If we are one artist short, it would be a lesser music."-Garth Brooks

Apparently Garth don't want us bashing people we don't like, well I'm very sorry for the people that called me 'adversarial' over Garth and his FILP remake debacle, but that's just one quote I really cannot agree with. Yeah hats off to Chris Stapleton and I definitely plan to get his album in the near future, that guy sung along with Garth on a Queen remake so he can definitely hold his own with Timberlake and I hope down the road he'll become a bigger star (though I hoped the same with Jack Ingram and that worked out SOO well).

But my problem ain't with him, it's Luke Bryan and everyone thinking that listening to Bro-Country is still worthy of Entertainer of the Year. I do not know what logic these CMA voters had when they voted in that category but it seems to me that some of those members probably still giving Garth the same crap he got in 90's. Just once I'd like to see somebody pull a Charlie Rich and light up a CMA envelope on the next bro-country Entertainer of the Year.

Charles
11-05-2015, 03:21 AM
I thought the CMAs were great! Loved Chris Stapleton and Timberlake, Eric Church sang a new song from a surprise new album that was AWESOME, Dierks Bentley's Riser was great, heck I even liked Carrie Underwood's song!

I think it says alot for country music that Stapleton won 3 awards and Sam Hunt didn't win any.

It was awesome to see Garth's facebook live streams too! Wish he would have performed though!!!

wimpy77
11-05-2015, 04:51 AM
I thought the CMAs were great! Loved Chris Stapleton and Timberlake, Eric Church sang a new song from a surprise new album that was AWESOME, Dierks Bentley's Riser was great, heck I even liked Carrie Underwood's song!

I think it says alot for country music that Stapleton won 3 awards and Sam Hunt didn't win any.

It was awesome to see Garth's facebook live streams too! Wish he would have performed though!!!

Sam Hunt is a poor mans Justin Timberlake.

Skywise
11-05-2015, 10:02 AM
The CMA's are a poor man's award show...

Well, I do say that, knowing that I'm not in touch w/ the current crop of "country" music in general. it's really unappetizing... not really good music at all.. IMO (largely)..

hate to say that I called it, but I called it.. Luke Bryan w/ the win.. Face it- Garth's just not important or influential anymore. He's nostalgia.. he's old, he's past...
Honestly? it's his own fault too (but that's another 'can' to be opened...)

garthcop
11-05-2015, 10:33 AM

His new CD is actually pretty good. I didn't care much for him till he put out his hit Roller Coaster, but he's not a bad guy.

garthcop
11-05-2015, 10:38 AM
The CMA's are a poor man's award show...

Well, I do say that, knowing that I'm not in touch w/ the current crop of "country" music in general. it's really unappetizing... not really good music at all.. IMO (largely)..

hate to say that I called it, but I called it.. Luke Bryan w/ the win.. Face it- Garth's just not important or influential anymore. He's nostalgia.. he's old, he's past...
Honestly? it's his own fault too (but that's another 'can' to be opened...)

I think we should be kind of glad he didn't perform without having another album to promote. Otherwise, what would he have played? Another blast from the past? A song from his last album that would have never been played on the radio? It would have solidified him as only an icon of a specific era instead of giving himself a chance to introduce what could be a new number 1. So I don't think any harm was done by him not performing, even though we would like to have seen it. It's not his time yet. But it could be getting very close depending on how good his new album is.

Garthmedic
11-05-2015, 11:29 AM
His new CD is actually pretty good. I didn't care much for him till he put out his hit Roller Coaster, but he's not a bad guy.

I happen to agree 100% with this post.

Skywise
11-05-2015, 11:57 AM
I will have to give his CD another listen- I think I listened to it very briefly a while ago.... will check it out again I suppose

Skywise
11-05-2015, 12:06 PM
I think we should be kind of glad he didn't perform without having another album to promote. Otherwise, what would he have played? Another blast from the past? A song from his last album that would have never been played on the radio? Def glad he didn't perform (though that's largely because I forgot to tape the show... I'm glad I did now, though, saves me the time of deleting it :) ) What would he have played? speculation only, but I'd say one of the releases off of MAM, or a 'greatest hit'. yeah, it's old, it's not new, it's not flashy, its something that's 'been done before'... But let's look at it this way- it's what would be comfortable and not breaking new ground- something Garth's maybe unintentionally established himself as being in favor of..)

It would have solidified him as only an icon of a specific era instead of giving himself a chance to introduce what could be a new number 1. So I don't think any harm was done by him not performing, even though we would like to have seen it. It's not his time yet. But it could be getting very close depending on how good his new album is.
I think Garth's done a good job by his action(s)/non actions in the 'comeback' of doing just that... (solidifying himself as an icon of a specific era..) Def. wasn't any harm done w/o him performing.. he's a non factor right now.. the non performance fits that motif to me.... could he be close to having 'his time' again? Possibly.. POSSIBLY.. but I'm a little hesitant to just throw caution to the wind with him again.. cautiously optimistic.. I think that's the best way to put it (at least on my end)

Emerald Isle
11-05-2015, 12:50 PM

I haven't loved anything he's done. To me it all sounds rather cookie-cutter, fill in the blank, and uninspired. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. That said, he seems genuinely nice and down to earth, and so I respect him for that. But Miranda killed it this year, so IMO she should have won it.

As for Garth, if his touring continues at its current pace, and if he can actually get a genuine radio hit or two out of the next album, then I think he has a chance to win it again.

Emerald Isle
11-05-2015, 12:54 PM
I think we should be kind of glad he didn't perform without having another album to promote. Otherwise, what would he have played? Another blast from the past? A song from his last album that would have never been played on the radio? It would have solidified him as only an icon of a specific era instead of giving himself a chance to introduce what could be a new number 1. So I don't think any harm was done by him not performing, even though we would like to have seen it. It's not his time yet. But it could be getting very close depending on how good his new album is.

Wanna know what I think... the Reba/Brooks & Dunn number to kick off the 50th anniversary of the CMA's... yeah, I will bet money that that slot was originally intended for Garth's all-star version of FILP. But when the whole snafu happened and the song didn't get released, he decided to not perform. I have absolutely no insider info. It's just a hunch.

GarthdaMan
11-05-2015, 06:27 PM
I was so disappointed and frustrated by Bryan's win. I understand it and it doesn't shock me but I thought the association would justify Garth's record breaking tour with a win. It's obvious that lacking new music had a lot to do with the vote. He may still win EOY before this tour is over.

Emerald Isle
11-05-2015, 08:47 PM
I was so disappointed and frustrated by Bryan's win. I understand it and it doesn't shock me but I thought the association would justify Garth's record breaking tour with a win. It's obvious that lacking new music had a lot to do with the vote. He may still win EOY before this tour is over.

This author agrees with you:

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/11/the_wrong_guy_won_the_cma_ente.html

BLL
11-05-2015, 10:06 PM
I saw that earlier, and I was shocked as Chuck is NOT a country fan in general.

allisonv7
11-15-2015, 01:55 PM

This was my sentiment as well. Luke Bryan's popular - I get it, he's not really my cup of tea, but he does put on a great show and seems like a good guy. I think Luke's absolutely deserving, he's doing multiple shows on many of his tour stops and releasing new music. But, he's been doing that for a couple years now, it's not fresh anymore and to me was almost a default choice.... I was hoping for something different and I think this would've been a good opportunity to recognize Garth's touring capabilities.

AHBAMember
11-20-2015, 09:23 PM
It seems like, with all the major awards, the nominees are mostly those big on radio...there are various degrees of "up-front" ness about this, depending on how the nominees are chosen.

This being the case, it says something (positive) about Garth that he was nominated for Entertainer at all. It seems his live-show sales are still selling!

The big surprise to me was LeeAnn Womack's nomination. Of all of those who had their "heyday" five or ten years ago and aren't having as much of one now, why her?

I never "got" country radio...I get that it's "about money", and I understand that mostly everyone in this business wants their music to be a source of income...heck, I would want that too. But for me, that doesn't answer questions about who they choose to be "big."

And age doesn't answer it all either...because Reba's song this year went higher than Trisha's last few, and Reba is older than Garth and Trisha, both in years in the business and in real age.

I used to say, well, you're radio you could make anyone big if you played them. If you played Trisha like you do Bryant or FGL, they would be popular...BUT I wonder if that's true anymore?

With itunes and all the other ways to get music, maybe who is on radio is not even the best gauge anymore of who has the most fans?

I'm reminded of that exchange from Sunset Boulevard: "You used to be in silent pictures. You used to be big." "I am big, it's the pictures that got small."

And I actually think that many Garth and Trisha songs, if cut by the "current" people, could work for today's radio.

AHBAMember
11-22-2015, 04:30 PM
And, according to this, Man Against Machine debuted at #1 on Billboard country charts and #4 on Billboard in general:

http://tasteofcountry.com/garth-brooks-man-against-machine-billboard-country-chart/

That must be album sales, right?