PDA

View Full Version : The future

copinark
06-15-2015, 01:45 PM
I've read that they're recording the shows from this tour for a Double Live 2. I've also received some information that the logistics work has already started for another Central Park show possibly in 2017. With the new studio album and duets album I think we're gonna be satisfied with new Garth music for the next few years. The small show he did in Nashville was also recorded for a possible DVD release. I'm betting on a Christmas release for that one. I've also noticed a ton of merchandise that crew and band members are wearing that is not available. This could be the reason for the delay at Ghosttunes for merchandise because they want a large selection. The drummer for Karyn Rochelle has been spotted numerous times wearing a Garth Brooks World Tour Carhart jacket. As has been the case for the last few years, we just have to be patient.

garthcop
06-16-2015, 06:12 PM
The way he is selling out shows is more than just the older generation that grew up with him. There is a market for him that just might be on the verge of blowing up.

Skywise
06-16-2015, 06:48 PM
That's possible but not guaranteed- take a look for reference at KISS in their reunion/comeback tour of 1996... In many ways akin tingatyh coming back- it had been 14-15 years sine original members had been on tour... Both tours phenomenally successful (garths of course is still in progress). Both times, a new generation of fans had grown up.....

Now, there MAY be a market ready to explode for Garth. When KISS however, had to go back on touring with a new album etc.. Once the reunion luster had worn off- the tours , while successful, didn't translate into mega importance... When the novelty of reunion had worn off there wasn't much to go on- imo they (KISS) are largely now a nostalgia act. Aging rockers who, while great entertainers, have lost their grip on music. Garth needs to avoid THAT pitfall.... Make the MAM era truly an new era... Not just a nostalgia driven tour of Garth memories....

garthcop
06-16-2015, 10:15 PM
Maybe he'll follow more of a Cher act like the way she came out with chart topping songs in 1999 after being gone for a while.

Skywise
06-16-2015, 11:40 PM
that's possible- but where is Cher now? where is her relevance now?

garthcop
06-18-2015, 12:13 AM
Well. She is too old now. She was around the same age as Garth if I recall when she had that success. I think her original fan base brought excitement and the music she came out with was good enough to resonate with the young people. Hoping for a repeat:)

Skywise
06-18-2015, 01:24 AM
let's see- Cher is now 69... 15 years ago she'd have been 54.. So, older than Garth at the 'relevant' time I suppose..

doesn't really change the point of my earlier post though..

and looking at the singles releases, etc..

her "chart topping songs" in 1999? (off the believe album)...

she had 1 #1 song, "believe" (and that was in 1998). Acc. to what I'm reading, Strong enough was released in 1999 and peaked at 57. two other singles didn't chart at all. in 2002 she charted "song for the lonely" at #85.

She hasn't had a #1 hit in 16 years. Hardly a 'market on the verge of blowing up' type of situation.. much more akin to KISS actually, even with KISS having not charted a hit evidently in 25 years, and nothing in the 'reunion' and 'new makeup lineup' era...

Now, that being said- as I said above Garth needs to avoid the pitfalls of the Chers, and the KISS, (the aging rocker syndrome I guess) and reinvigorate his 'next chapter'.. THEN it's possible for another explosion of interest

I honestly doubt though that the current way of doing things (even w/ a successful tour underway) will in any way approach that type of 'interest'

Anonymous
06-18-2015, 11:05 AM
The drummer for Karyn Rochelle has been spotted numerous times wearing a Garth Brooks World Tour Carhart jacket. As has been the case for the last few years, we just have to be patient.

I'd guess that jacket would be exclusive to the band and crew. I saw a post on Instagram about a company that made custom Vans shoes for Garth's band and crew. They only made 80-so definitely not for sale to the public. Jackets are probably the same.

garthcop
06-19-2015, 12:32 AM
I am talking about the success that she had that year of 98 which is relevant to where Garth is now. She was all over the radio and tv during that time. It only took her the song Believe to do it. She also did a farewell tour and sent herself out a couple of years later. Maybe I am mistaken. I was under the impression that we are talking about Garth now in his career, not over the next 15 years :)

Skywise
06-19-2015, 12:42 AM
All over the radio and TV perhaps.. Garth's not done that to the extent he has in the past..

Actually, you brought up Cher when I was commenting that it was possible that Garth had a market waiting to 'explode' but that it wasn't guaranteed- then I brought up as a possibility of what Could happen in KISS' 'reunion' and post reunion career.. their 'second act' if you will...

You brought up Cher in the first place, then defended her when I pointed out that Cher probably wasn't the best comparison..

That being said- Where Garth is NOW in his career, is an interesting place- potentially great and potentially bad.. It depends I think on what he can or more likely WILL do to adapt- if he doesn't change some of his ideas? I think he'll be relegated to Nostalgia- the main demographic for music, let's face it, isn't Garth's old audience- not the ones who hung with him in the 90's. they're older ...(we're older ;) ) ..

CAN he explode again in popularity? Yes.. But I don't think it will be nearly as easy of an explosion this time

Garthmedic
06-19-2015, 01:28 AM
Garth IS popular- to all of us. He is popular to the 2,000,000+ concertgoers over the past 8 months. He sold a respectful amount of albums (not huge, but decent).

Is it important that he gets a new, younger fan base? Why or why not?

Skywise
06-19-2015, 01:41 AM
Is it important? I'd say YES and NO at the same time, depending on his desire..

IF Garth wants to be truly the top act again (as he's apparently stated in interviews or press conferences..) then YES, he needs to have a new and younger fan base- THEY are going to be the up and coming (and more than likely future) base of purchasing concert tix, merch, music, etc..

IF Garth isn't wanting necessarily to do that and his words were just words or just for show? then no he doesn't. IF Garth is content with being the 'aging country star who once was popular' (i.e. the Nostalgia act akin to the KISS reference I made above) then no...

that is NOT to say that he needs to ignore, or let go, or forget about US (the current 2,000,000+ concert goers, etc..) the fans... Not at all- there's a balance to be had, but new 'blood' (a new fan base) also needs to be cultivated for growth

Garthmedic
06-19-2015, 01:56 AM
Personally, I'm good with the way it is.... :)

Skywise
06-19-2015, 02:03 AM
no problem there!

garthcop
06-19-2015, 03:36 PM
He has said in interviews that he would love still be doing this 20 years from now. Guess the big question is what his expectations are with maintaining tour success vs. being on the leading edge again. He maybe having so much fun that he doesn't care about the question:)

EveryNow&Then
06-29-2015, 10:56 PM
Speaking of gear, I saw a crew member wearing a cap and Hoodie(I think) back in Little Rock complete with Shamrocks and Garth Ireland text. He told me it came from the unused stock. I think they get a lot of exclusives and maybe extras that never make it to the market for various reasons.

copinark
06-30-2015, 12:28 PM
Everynow&then

Were you at the Saturday night show? I was there and based on what I've read on different reviews that had to be the best show of the tour so far. I see video clips in other cities and sometimes see a few empty seats at the back of stage and *gasp* people sitting down. This show was rocking from start to finish, no one sit down, and people sang at the top of their lungs. Even the Tulsa show could not hold a candle to the Little Rock crowd.

EveryNow&Then
06-30-2015, 08:26 PM
Unfortunately I was not... I was at Thursday and Friday. I wish it had been the Friday/Saturday. Friday was good, but I don't think it compared to the Saturday show.

We were just at the Saturday late show in Houston. It was very fun and very loud! MY voice was gone before we got to FILP, but I kept doing my best to scream anyway. It wasn't one of those rare Garth on his knees shows, but he did turn back around and run back to the edge of stage and pump his arms in the air one last time before he left after SOTF. I would say it was a very good almost special Garth show, and better than the Friday show in Little Rock.

I actually wonder what his signal to the band on FILP meant. It looks like he did 3 fingers and made a rolling motion with his fingers, then 2 fingers with a rolling motion, then 1 finger with a rolling motion. So it was a long roll with 6 crashes total. Does that mean the show was only a 6 on a 1-10 scale? Because I think it was better than a 6... may 8-8.5.

copinark
07-01-2015, 02:20 PM
I've heard different theories about the signal at the end of FILP. I went back and watched the video from the Saturday show in Little Rock. He first looks at the crowd and holds up ten fingers, then looks back at Mike and holds up three fingers. Following this there was three bursts of confetti.

meganclouser
07-03-2015, 06:10 PM
the fingers has to do with how many beats he wants the band to do at the end when he like does the thing with his guitar (I know everyone knows what I mean) I've noticed it in some of the old concert DVDs & things... not sure where the idea that it was a "crowd rating" came from.. ?

Anonymous
07-04-2015, 03:11 PM
the fingers has to do with how many beats he wants the band to do at the end when he like does the thing with his guitar (I know everyone knows what I mean) I've noticed it in some of the old concert DVDs & things... not sure where the idea that it was a "crowd rating" came from.. ?

I think that theory came about because it's always a different number and why would the song need to end with a different number of beats unless it was some kind of rating or feeling? Otherwise it would always be 4 beats, or 5 beats...

Mr_Sevens
07-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Getting back to the original topic a bit...I'm hoping we get some kind of update soon! The last announced tour stop is next weekend.

I'd like to think it won't come and go without hearing anything at all, but I've been a Garth fan for too long to truly believe that ;) Maybe if people keeping asking him on social media he'll understand that we want to know what's going on in his world a little more!

garthcop
07-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Alright. I went to the 10:30 show last night in Houston. By far, the best Garth concert I have ever seen. If you haven't been able to see him in concert since he came back then it's harder to have as optimistic of an outlook.
There were tons and tons of young people there who knew the songs. Garth was very much in touch with everyone in the arena with out of this world energy on stage. You can't see what I saw and say he is not still going to be a force in the music industry. He is more than a novelty act as has been said. Even his voice was still going strong for this fourth show in 24 hours. He is reintroducing himself to the under 30 crowd probably without even realizing it. I think this will set the stage for more support for his work when more new music is put out.
Again. If you haven't seen him since he came out of retirement, it might be hard to see where I am coming from. Just like at the beginning of his career, his performance on stage that created such a buzz is what everyone will once again be talking about. Maybe not to the same level since so many of the younger country acts have copied what he did and already exposed the younger generation to the Garth style of entertainment. But he still overshadows what they do when you make a comparison. I think there is a bright future for more Garth music! At the very least, a respectable showing for as long as he wants to do what he does. We have reason to be proud fans of who we are a fan of!

Mr_Sevens
07-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Sony announced their new CEO today so hopefully the Garth/Song train can get back on track!

They also announced a new Vice President of Promotion & Artist Development is Steve Hodges. He just so happened to work promotion at Capitol Records during Garth's heyday.

BLL
07-08-2015, 09:18 PM
I also read that 'Tacoma" was supposed to be the first single and it got pulled for MAM; I think 'Tacoma' is a killer song and could possibly cut through the 'bro' crap being played on the clear channel stations now.

ElectricOutcast
07-08-2015, 11:04 PM
I also read that 'Tacoma" was supposed to be the first single and it got pulled for MAM; I think 'Tacoma' is a killer song and could possibly cut through the 'bro' crap being played on the clear channel stations now. Most of them have been abandoning Bro-Country for this sort of Metro/Disco sound that's going around right now, which ain't much better and I'm really not willing to find out either.

And as far as releasing another Man Against Machine single at this point, I say he shouldn't do it because November is coming around very quick and what's the point of releasing a song if you're getting a new record ready? Just my take on it.

Charles
07-08-2015, 11:40 PM
They need to release another single! Honestly, I'd love if they'd release the song Man Against Machine now......he opens with it, put it on the radio!

I'm ok with All American Kid getting a shot too. At this point though, I have no idea what radio will play ...

wimpy77
07-09-2015, 01:33 AM
They need to release another single! Honestly, I'd love if they'd release the song Man Against Machine now......he opens with it, put it on the radio!

I'm ok with All American Kid getting a shot too. At this point though, I have no idea what radio will play ...

He and the record label are done with the record it seems like.

wimpy77
07-09-2015, 01:41 AM
Most of them have been abandoning Bro-Country for this sort of Metro/Disco sound that's going around right now, which ain't much better and I'm really not willing to find out either.

And as far as releasing another Man Against Machine single at this point, I say he shouldn't do it because November is coming around very quick and what's the point of releasing a song if you're getting a new record ready? Just my take on it.

The R&B type stuff I don't mind.

Lowland_Kid
07-09-2015, 05:25 AM
I love Tacoma! I wished it would have come out as a single. People need to hear this song!

mbarker
07-10-2015, 02:18 PM
In my opinion, Eric Church's "Like A Wrecking Ball" has a similar feel to it as Tacoma. That could mean that radio would be open to playing Tacoma. It could also mean that radio is playing a similar song, and would not be willing to play two songs with that R&B sound.