PDA

View Full Version : Article: Ranking GB from Worst to Best

GBJR77
05-07-2015, 11:50 AM
http://dataomaha.com/bigstory/go/we-ranked-garth-brooks-103-songs-from-worst-to-best

All I can say is that I completely disagree with this list. Heck, 6 of my favorite songs are in the 93-103 spots on their list - songs that are the '10 worst' according to them.

It reads like a list of someone who just listened to most of these for the first time, instead of growing up with them, or living them as the albums were released like the majority of us did. This was really driven home for me while reading the blurb after 'The Old Stuff'.

I will go to war for "Which One of Them", no matter where they put it on the list. Ever since hearing it on David Frost, and then in concert in 1994, it has been my favorite. I hate what the studio version sounds like compared to the live version (and thanks to GB for playing it every time I show up with my sign at a show!) but I still think of all the songs, it is the one that I wish I had written. Which I'm sure a lot of these songs are for many people.

Skywise
05-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Hmmm .... Gotta take a look at the list! I don't mind the worst to best rankings normally, but yah they can be objects of disagreement too

Skywise
05-07-2015, 01:23 PM
k, been too long since last post- can't edit it..

I'm sure I'm going to have a fw posts on this list... actually it's kinda interesting- seeing these type of lists always makes me wonder or drives the question of motivation, and criteria used for ranking, etc.. Does the author / blogger / writer have some sort of bias that comes out? Is their ranking the right way to rank the songs, etc..

I find it interesting- all the songs with video clips are in the top 20 I think.. did video availability play a part? And WHY aren't some of them taken down by garth's 'net nazis?

Actual ranking thoughts? that's for another post- I can't say I'm UPSET with their top or bottom choices...

They did forget (probably on purpose I suppose..) the lost sessions songs too.. I did chuckle at the Chris Gaines crack that was made though..

RandyZie
05-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Now I listen to garth nearly every day, check planet garth every day, and search for concert videos every day. But I just couldn't see myself rating his songs like this. I feel the list would change depending on the season and would just take up too much time.

I'll have to go through the list, but first thing that caught my eye is same old story, mr. midnight, wolves, and every time that it rains would be in my top 25 easy. Not last 10.

Night riders lament at 88?! oh jeez...

One night a day would be top 20 easy for me, not 86...

I think he lost me at Cowboys forever when he said "cowboys “transformed a nation.” How, exactly?" Did he/they not listen to the lyrics at all?

Why Missouri
05-07-2015, 04:47 PM
Wolves 98 and Alabama Clay 96? I'm out

YouSoundBitter
05-07-2015, 08:31 PM
Yep, haven't read it but if Wolves is 98 then I'm not wasting my data (even though it's unlimited LOL) and bandwith on it!

Mr_Sevens
05-08-2015, 03:34 PM
The top 10 alone was bizarre. I wouldn't put The Cowboy Song or Beer Run anywhere near a list of the top 10 BEST Garth songs.

Skywise
05-08-2015, 08:22 PM
still gotta take a more in depth look into the article (have scanned it ) but you know, after looking at it, and checking into the writer a bit more...

he's not the clueless oaf that some of the comments might seem to make him out to be..

It reads like a list of someone who just listened to most of these for the first time, instead of growing up with them, or living them as the albums were released like the majority of us did. This was really driven home for me while reading the blurb after 'The Old Stuff'. this I can agree with on the surface (the 'instead of growing up with them' line especially)

However, and I don't mean to sound like a pain....

to read comments along the lines of "this song here? I'm out".. or ""won't waste my data..." coupled with "haven't read it"... how can we judge the merits of a list such as this if we haven't read it, or if we chose to ignore the list just because our favorite song or songs are listed different than where WE put them...

that begs the comment of being short sighted, just as the article can be said to be..

I agree w/ sevens to a point- it appears to be a bizarre article.. but it's simply an opinion of the writer (and looks like there was at least one 'co author' r 'listener')...

other questions:

what was the criteria for judgment?
why were not all songs considered?
if it's just a ranking based on their thoughts, what is their bias?

on the other hand- looking through the site, found this photo gallery it's kinda cool- and shows how he's aged)

http://dataomaha.com/bigstory/go/garth-brooks-photo-timeline-1989-to-2015/

Mr_Sevens
05-09-2015, 02:08 AM
Cool find on the photo gallery! Some of those pics I've never seen before

Lowland_Kid
05-09-2015, 04:35 AM
Lots of cool photos! Thanks for the link!

darkcountry
05-09-2015, 01:55 PM
I must have terrible taste in Garth's music. A lot of my favorite songs are at the bottom of the list. :eek: Victim of the Game, The Change, Cold Like That....and it just goes on from there.

adub_IU
05-10-2015, 02:26 PM
"Maybe this song was killer in 1990" regarding the thunder rolls

im guessing these writers werent old enough to remember these songs as the list is completely biased to their own opinions

i could rank katy perrys music, i bet ive got enough knowledge to her music as these people do with garths. its just a list. thats all.

and it feels like they bash every song when describing it, not even mentioning any hint of something positive. its stupid

meganclouser
05-11-2015, 03:36 AM
Agreed, this list was waaaaaaay off for me. I think I made it about 20 songs in and had seen at least 3 or 4 of my top 10 in the back 100 & I had to stop before I got mad haha. Definitely would say it doesn't sound like whoever made this has grown up with these and lived them. Someone said they couldn't imagine ranking Garth's songs like this & I agree 100%. I can always put "The Dance" at number one, but the rest of my favorites are all too tied to make a list. Also definitely depends on my mood & what's going on in my life and what time of day it is & how my day at work was and whatever..

meganclouser
05-11-2015, 03:48 AM
Also, 3rd picture from 1992 in the photo timeline,, why does he look like he was or is crying? 0_o Anyone know what it's from? Looks to me like an awards show or something..

coco1997
05-14-2015, 02:41 AM
"The Dance" all the way down at #64? Come on, now.