PDA

View Full Version : Tidal

Brett Dale
03-30-2015, 09:24 PM
I think Garth backed the wrong horse. :-(

I dont think ghost tunes can complete.

BLL
03-30-2015, 09:53 PM
I don't think he cares; he is an owner in Ghost Tunes, and he said at the beginning that he was fine if it stayed quite small.

RandyZie
03-30-2015, 11:18 PM
I don't see Tidal staying above water after all their investors lose interest. Too costly per month, doubt the quality people are talking about.

garthcop
03-31-2015, 10:59 AM
I would argue against him really caring about it staying small. He has gone on countless interviews promoting it over Itunes and he is all about big numbers as evident by him re-packaging is songs over and over for album sales.

Unfortunately, I think this is part of the music industry that he cannot change. People don't buy albums anymore and are not changing just because Garth doesn't like it. He is not relevant enough to the younger generation. Like I have said before, the high school students I teach keep asking me why they can't find Garth on Itunes because that is where they spend their money. A 50 year old man who has been out of the spot light for 15 years is too old in their minds to be swayed by when it comes to pop culture:(

gbroadtrip
03-31-2015, 11:10 AM
I don't know if ANY one artist can sway the market/business and I'm NOT sure ghost tunes IS about changing that... It's about giving the artist an option.

Shannon

garthcop
03-31-2015, 11:12 AM
I agree. But if the public is buying then what options the artists want becomes irrelevant.

Mr_Sevens
03-31-2015, 12:21 PM
Eh, but they aren't really the same. Tidal is a music streaming service and Ghosttunes is a storefront.

I'm not a fan of streaming because I don't love the idea of "renting" music. I want it to be mine forever.

Mr_Sevens
03-31-2015, 12:22 PM
I agree. But if the public is buying then what options the artists want becomes irrelevant.

That's not true at all. The buying public will adapt to however artists decide to sell their music. The problem is that not enough companies and labels are willing yet to allow artists more control of distribution. If iTunes shut down tomorrow, people would go somewhere else to buy music. They wouldn't just stop buying.

garthcop
03-31-2015, 12:35 PM
And they are not allowing that because that is not where the money is at and they know that. Itunes figured out the best way to cater to the public's desires and became a powerhouse because that is where the public now goes to buy, not the other options artists wish they would go to. Not just artists but companies like Wal Mart who dominated the market on distributing music lost out too. Going back to the old way is not an option unless there a law passed dictating otherwise. So how the artists decide to sell their music is dictated by the buying public.

wimpy77
04-01-2015, 07:30 PM
That's not true at all. The buying public will adapt to however artists decide to sell their music. The problem is that not enough companies and labels are willing yet to allow artists more control of distribution. If iTunes shut down tomorrow, people would go somewhere else to buy music. They wouldn't just stop buying.

The artist didn't dictate how Itunes would sell their music. Apple and the labels did that for them. Most artists aren't fortunate enough to own their masters so they don't have any say in how their music is distributed. Taylor Swift, Garth, Jay Z and a few others are fortunate, they own their masters. 95% of the artist don't so their label can what to do with it and the artist don't have a choice. Randyze is also correct, their price point is way too high. Garthcop is also right the old model isn't going to come back just because people like Garth and Gene Simmons wants it to.

YouSoundBitter
04-01-2015, 08:25 PM
iTunes became a powerhouse because they were first. It's NOT the case anymore, the number of Android powered devises outnumber Apple ones, thus making iTunes just another outlet, no better or worse than Amazon or Google Play or GhostTunes...

Mr_Sevens
04-01-2015, 09:02 PM
The artist didn't dictate how Itunes would sell their music. Apple and the labels did that for them. Most artists aren't fortunate enough to own their masters so they don't have any say in how their music is distributed. Taylor Swift, Garth, Jay Z and a few others are fortunate, they own their masters. 95% of the artist don't so their label can what to do with it and the artist don't have a choice. Randyze is also correct, their price point is way too high. Garthcop is also right the old model isn't going to come back just because people like Garth and Gene Simmons wants it to.

That's just playing semantics and doesn't really dispute anything I said. Music buyers will go wherever the music is. Whether the artist or the label made the decision, it does not matter. Wherever it is, they will go. Again, if iTunes shut down tomorrow, people would buy it somewhere else.

What Bitter said is correct. Apple devices aren't the majority anymore. iTunes is just another store. One of the biggest reason their sales are so high is because it's the ONLY way to buy music directly on an Apple device. Android users can purchase from a variety of services.

darkcountry
04-23-2015, 02:09 AM
Tidal is already struggling and artists like Kanye West are deleting their supportive tweets. GhostTunes is still going strong

wimpy77
04-23-2015, 02:49 AM
Tidal is already struggling and artists like Kanye West are deleting their supportive tweets. GhostTunes is still going strong

Tidal was never going to succeed. You have a whole generation that has never paid for music period. Their price point is stupid.