PDA

View Full Version : Double live 2

Brett Dale
03-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Yeah baby. Press conference yesterday.

Thye have started recording shows, for "Double Live 2"!!!!

Garthmedic
03-28-2015, 10:36 PM
Awesome!!!

YouSoundBitter
03-29-2015, 03:55 AM
It will still take years to get another one out, but I can't wait! I love the first one. I also hope they include some covers this time around, too.

I wonder if they will do different covers this time around or just one, since this will also be a digital release, I would guess no, just a standard one and maybe a limited edition cover one.

leavealighton
03-30-2015, 11:55 AM
if he does do another live album it would most likely be a rehashing / repacking of his original double live plus a few additional songs , not an entire new album with all new songs done live unless he is sometime in the future going to include more new songs in his concerts.
If he does the album some things i would like to have it included:
the full version of the opening song Man Against Machine
The entire song of Heart in New York
Songs his from his Las Vegas Run ( his influences)
Songs he preformed at his regular concerts both current tour and older tour) that are not his big hits ( Alabama Clay, Wolves, In Lonesome Dove, and etc)
Songs he performed on award shows or other honor shows or events ( National Anthem, America, Good Night Saigon, Vincent, Empty Chairs, and etc)
Songs form his In The Life of Chris Gaines show

Thier is a lot that garth Could do instead of putting the same stuff on another rehashed / remixed, and repackaged album.

YouSoundBitter
03-30-2015, 01:56 PM
I don't think it would be like that.

garthcop
03-30-2015, 03:35 PM
I hope it's new stuff. I am going to stop by the old stuff. I've already paid for what seems like a 1000 copies of it. Even if it is packaged with new stuff.

Skywise
03-30-2015, 05:08 PM
if he does do another live album it would most likely be a rehashing / repacking of his original double live plus a few additional songs , not an entire new album with all new songs done live unless he is sometime in the future going to include more new songs in his concerts. I think that's a poss. Also think it's possible you'd get the 'new Garth' versions (if there are any) of the hits recorded on the new tour- maybe he's learned from some of his 'tweaks' that they're not needed.. maybe we'll get a more true sampling of the live stuff.. maybe some crowd banter.. regardless, even if it's a carbon copy almost of the original, at least (most likely) it'll be recorded from a variety of shows, not seemingly 3-4 like the last one..

If he does the album some things i would like to have it included:
the full version of the opening song Man Against Machine

probably not gonna happen, not unless he starts singing it that way in the shows- it seems to work really well seamless flowing into Rodeo....

The entire song of Heart in New York again, not gonna likely happen- #1, that would have been the first go 'round of things (and I'd wager Garth will focus more on the 'new chapter'.. Plus, it wasn't sung in full at Central Park- it was ALSO a lead in to Rodeo...

Songs his from his Las Vegas Run ( his influences) not likely on a live album if it's a representative album of his current tour... we have something like that already, 'blame it all on my roots' boxed set.. that's the closest you'll prob get without ripping the audio of the vegas show dvd and making it a CD (not that that's *cough cough* something I've seen done or have)

Songs he preformed at his regular concerts both current tour and older tour) that are not his big hits ( Alabama Clay, Wolves, In Lonesome Dove, and etc) if done in an encore, I think it's a poss. but not in any great detail

Songs he performed on award shows or other honor shows or events ( National Anthem, America, Good Night Saigon, Vincent, Empty Chairs, and etc) yeah, not real likely (but a good idea)

Songs form his In The Life of Chris Gaines show other than it being 15 years old by now.. for the love of Garth, we need to let that misguided adventure (that had a bit of good music with it) that was Chris Gaines live in the past/fall into the pass. let it go , let it go!!! ;)

Thier is a lot that garth Could do instead of putting the same stuff on another rehashed / remixed, and repackaged album.
there IS, but past hasn't shown a willingness to always do that

MuchTooYoung
03-30-2015, 05:46 PM
Without playing the game of "Guess Along with Garth", I'll just note the songs that weren't included on the original (or 25th "Anniversary" Edition) Double Live that have turned up on the tour so far, as reported by show attendees to >setlist.fm (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/garth-brooks-with-trisha-yearwood-13da5d39.html?tour=The+Garth+Brooks+World+Tour+wit h+Trisha+Yearwood)<:

"Man Against Machine" x48
"In Another's Eyes" (with Trisha Yearwood) x48
"People Loving People" x44
"Mom" x17
"Amarillo by Morning" x6
"When You Come Back to Me Again" x4
"Learning to Live Again" x4
"She's Every Woman" x3
"In Lonesome Dove" x3
"Night Moves" x3
"She's Tired of Boys" x3
"Cold Like That" x2
"Turn the Page" x2
"Happy Birthday" x2 (I'm thinking this one is probably on the "Less Likely" end of the spectrum. ;) )
"You Wreck Me" x2
"Whatcha Gonna Do with a Cowboy" x2
"Wolves" x2
"What She's Doing Now" x2
"Calling the Hogs" x1
"Ain't No Sunshine" x1
"The Red Strokes" x1
"The Change" x1
"That Ol' Wind" x1
"Cowboy Bill" x1
"When There's No One Around" x1
"Every Now and Then" x1
"Alabama Clay" x1

It's not completely accurate, as there are set lists missing and there are quite a few with formatting issues (a lot of shows erroneously list Garth's songs as being "cover of Garth Brooks" when clearly, he's not covering himself), but it's still a handy snapshot of what's being performed on this tour so far. I think it's reasonable to expect "Man Against Machine". I'd like to see "In Another's Eyes" make the cut, but if they actually finally make good on that long-promised duets album, surely there'll be something from that to replace "Eyes" in the standard set that would be a more likely candidate for Double Live II (which I want to subtitle "Doubly Live").

The more interesting album cuts that have made their way into the mix have been played during encores, which I imagine lessens their chances at being selected. I'd certainly love to hear a live version of "When There's No One Around" or his solo take on "Whatcha Gonna Do with a Cowboy", though!

Brett Dale
03-30-2015, 06:15 PM
In his interview he said, they have started recording the concerts from Denver onwards for the new double live album, so its all NEW recordings.

Skywise
03-30-2015, 06:48 PM
here's to hoping! I love the prospect! (and I got say, love that it started in Denver!! ) (Much Too young- AND (possibly) What She's Doing Now) both get high 'participation' notes in Denver due to our city and state being mentioned

gbroadtrip
03-30-2015, 07:11 PM
In all honesty I have a feeling he already knows what songs (or has strong notions) would be on a new live album.

He mentioned wanting to get Much to Young out of those Denver shows. Based what we've seen of the set list so far it's been very filled with the "old stuff" and songs found on the first live album. I wonder if the fact that they didn't start recording until six or so months into the new tour means that the set list may now become a little more "fluid" as they feel more comfortable out on the road.

The encore songs are also truncated versions of the songs... Night moves, Amarillo, even Mom are all shortened version's compared to the studio cuts. How well do those translate too an album??

gbroadtrip
03-30-2015, 07:28 PM
Not to be negative here... But I always thought DL was over produced, stripping out much of the energy of a Garth show, plus I missed the introduction of the band members. IMHO it didn't represent what it really FEELS like live tho I wasn't even sure it was possible.

I was missing the flow you feel... The MAM transition into Rodeo that Sykwise mentions for example... It very much feels like collection of live songs... Not a live performance/concert in its entirety.

Shannon

Skywise
03-30-2015, 08:57 PM
Not to be negative here... But I always thought DL was over produced, stripping out much of the energy of a Garth show, plus I missed the introduction of the band members. IMHO it didn't represent what it really FEELS like live tho I wasn't even sure it was possible.

I was missing the flow you feel... The MAM transition into Rodeo that Sykwise mentions for example... It very much feels like collection of live songs... Not a live performance/concert in its entirety.

Shannon

you're not being negative at all (I'm sure there are some here who will think you are- thats the nature of an internet forum).. your'e being very truthful! DL was DEFINITELY over produced.. it was toyed with/ tinkered with where it didn't need to be- I'd be willing to wager that despite the calls of recordings from all over the tour, that they were from CP, Ireland and back, and any other shows in that timeframe.. I'm not convinced of otherwise yet... not totally..

there def. was a flow missing to the album. The transitions.. etc.. exactly- it was Just as you said, Shannon... (and that overproduced intro to WSBF... ugh- go w/ the live portion!)

NOW, I will say I've come to see DL for what it was- it was never supposed to be a live album... it was just as you said- a COLLECTION of live songs- it's not a live album like KISS, etc.. would put out-not representative of one show.. it's a snippet and picking type of thing... bits of good songs here.. yes we get the live versions of songs- but not the experience.. Garth would have been better served calling it the 'double live collection' or something of the like that intimated its true nature... IMO

MuchTooYoung
03-31-2015, 12:38 PM
In all honesty I have a feeling he already knows what songs (or has strong notions) would be on a new live album.

It's too early for even Garth to really know what he'll have to work with when the time comes to assemble this. We're only two official singles into his comeback. He's not shy about recycling songs, whether from tour to tour or even across compilations, so yeah, there are some standards that are reasonable to expect will resurface. But my reading of things so far is that he's viewing this era as having its own identity within his overall career, and he'll want to celebrate that. (Which, yes, I know is antithetical to the notion of including deep album cuts from his first few albums. Such is Garth!)

The encore songs are also truncated versions of the songs... Night moves, Amarillo, even Mom are all shortened version's compared to the studio cuts. How well do those translate too an album??

My only point in listing the songs reported as being played so far is to give an early snapshot of what's in the running for consideration.

Most concert performances are abridged, and that's true of any concert entertainer I've ever seen. Occasionally, there'll be a song that they've discovered is fun to draw out with the band showing off (I think Brooks & Dunn regularly turned "Rock My World" into about an eight-minute opus, for instance), but by and large it's about getting the opening right to make the crowd recognize what's about to be played, then getting through the crux of the vocals and onto the next number.

As for the encore covers, again: it's much too soon to know what the final collection of recordings will even include. He may start to fixate on one or more of those and go through a stretch of playing them in their entirety. When he eventually gets to Texas, for instance, I imagine he'll do a full version of "Amarillo by Morning". Will it make the cut? Who knows?

Even as a big fan of Double Live, I'll co-sign those remarks. I think an easy way to illustrate what you're talking about is simply to contrast the VHS release of the Central Park show with the DVD version included in The Entertainer box set. So much of the show that actually took place was stripped away for the DVD that it feels rushed. A big part of the charisma of his concerts has always been his banter and personality.

I'd be willing to wager that despite the calls of recordings from all over the tour, that they were from CP, Ireland and back, and any other shows in that timeframe.. I'm not convinced of otherwise yet... not totally..

I've always been convinced that the bulk of Double Live consists of studio augmented recordings taken from the TV specials. At the very least, they were taken from the different performances that didn't make it into the broadcast version. (In case anyone doesn't already know, aside from Central Park, which was broadcast live as it happened, the other shows were recorded over at least two consecutive nights to give redundancies in case of any problems.) That said, I am also convinced that "Two Pina Coladas" was recorded 20 May 1998 at Freedom Hall in Louisville, because I was there that night and I love that song and no one better ever disabuse me of that belief! :P

Emerald Isle
04-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Whatever he ends up releasing, he should include a bonus disc called "The Encores" that collects many of the performances of the deep cuts and covers he does during that portion of the show.

GarthdaMan
04-01-2015, 02:15 PM
"Encores" would be a great idea! His encores have always been the most compelling part of his shows to me.

YouSoundBitter
04-01-2015, 04:12 PM
That would be awesome!

RandyZie
04-01-2015, 04:22 PM
That's actually a great idea, have a little bonus disc like that.

Skywise
04-01-2015, 04:50 PM
a great idea, but honestly- I doubt it'll get made.. "shoulds" and Garth don't always seem to go together.. it'd be a great bonus buy though- maybe for those who purchased digitally perhaps

GBJR77
04-01-2015, 05:39 PM
I wouldn't put too much stock in going off what Setlist.fm lists for each night. There is some fool on there that has been posting for nearly every show, and completely screwing things up. Even shows I went to are listed as having half a dozen songs per show that he never played, never mentioned, and never even had a sign requesting to be played. Unless I went to the show, know someone that went, saw a video of it, or heard about it from somene on here who went then I can't count a song as performed so far on this tour. Even the local media in Chicago were attributing songs played that weren't played simply because they didn't know the titles of them.

Double Live 2 - or whatever it will be called - will most likely resemble Double Live 1. 25 or so songs, lots of over-dubs in the studio, taken from a handful of shows on the tour. Mixed with crowd noise to make it appear that 'all' shows were combined for the experience. I don't have high hopes for it, simply based off the track record and previous 'live' album. I would hope to be pleasantly surprised, and wrong, but I'm not getting those hopes up 4 years before we POSSIBLY see another 'live' album.

Skywise
04-01-2015, 06:44 PM
Double Live 2 - or whatever it will be called - will most likely resemble Double Live 1. 25 or so songs, lots of over-dubs in the studio, taken from a handful of shows on the tour. Mixed with crowd noise to make it appear that 'all' shows were combined for the experience. I don't have high hopes for it, simply based off the track record and previous 'live' album. I would hope to be pleasantly surprised, and wrong, but I'm not getting those hopes up 4 years before we POSSIBLY see another 'live' album.

That's what scares me, the 'overdubbing' aspect.. it's AN experience of Garth live, but won't be THE experience, because half of what makes the shows unique is the banter, the intros, the stuff not 'sold in stores' as it were, with the music. (i.e. in Denver, when his guitar jumped out of tune and we sang extra on UAP. Or when the mother and daughter were showing him the sign and he talked to them/played MOM for them.. or his "I know the cardinal rule of entertainment is never follow a ballad with a ballad, but I'm going to do this one.." and he jumped into to make you feel my love acoustic guitar only...). Still, if it's just another 'live collection' then it's going to be 'eh'.. what will be done to make it special.....

here's to hoping SOMETHING happens over the next 4 years :)

garthcop
04-02-2015, 12:17 AM
Amen!! I really grew attached to Garth like we all did when seeing his concerts and how he brought his music to life. Hopefully he does that again for us with his new music on a live ablum. And who knows, maybe by the time this thing comes out, he will have had another huge hit off his next album to add to it. I'd like to thing Man Against Machine as a warm up album that satisfies us hard core fans while some really good stuff is currently baking in the oven!

leavealighton
04-02-2015, 12:54 AM
Maybe the songs that didn't make the cut with the original double live album might make it. Songs like: Against The Grain, The old Stuff, Ireland, Not Counting on You, We Bury The hatchet, kicking and Screamin, Dixie Chicken, The Red Stokes, and others.

You may be Right with Billy Joel,Keep Your Hands To Yourself, You may be Right ( garth)Shameless with Billie Joel, American Pie with Don Mclean, Standing Still with Jewell.

I was just thinking about older live performances and thought maybe include that material.

Brett Dale
04-02-2015, 01:27 AM
I heard that the original Double live was taken from various concerts, I know Unanswered Prayers was taken from his 1997 dublin show. I also heard way back when it first come out, that he used the audio
of him singing from one city and crowd noise from other city for some of the songs.

I hope the new live album will be more of a live feel and talking to the crowd also.