PDA

View Full Version : Garth to perform at ACM Awards

Mr_Sevens
03-11-2015, 02:43 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/george-strait-eric-church-to-perform-at-acm-awards-20150311

My guess is he'll perform Cold Like That and it'll be released to radio that same week.

garthcop
03-11-2015, 08:04 PM
I predict if he does that then this will start the momentum on radio we have been waiting for him to pick up! The song is unique and catchy enough to stick in everyone's mind.

garthcop
03-11-2015, 08:05 PM
And you know he will nail it live!

jturtels
03-11-2015, 10:13 PM
I'm guessing I'm in the minority, but I really wish he wouldn't pick Cold Like That as the next single. The average person is going to be watching that wondering where "Garth" went. I really wish he'd pick Tired of Boys, All American Kid, etc....something country....at least to get things going again. If he does Cold Like That, I wonder how many people are going to think it's Chris Gaines singing dressed up like Garth Brooks?

wimpy77
03-11-2015, 11:49 PM
I'm guessing I'm in the minority, but I really wish he wouldn't pick Cold Like That as the next single. The average person is going to be watching that wondering where "Garth" went. I really wish he'd pick Tired of Boys, All American Kid, etc....something country....at least to get things going again. If he does Cold Like That, I wonder how many people are going to think it's Chris Gaines singing dressed up like Garth Brooks?

have you been listening to country radio lately?

RandyZie
03-12-2015, 12:42 AM

going to have to agree :applause:

Mr_Sevens
03-12-2015, 01:07 AM

I feel like if that were the case Mom would have performed a LOT better than it did. Cold Like That is the closet thing to modern country on the record.

Charles
03-12-2015, 02:51 AM
I don't really care what he sings as long as it's something from Man Against Machine!

Cold Like That is a great song....All American Kid is a great song....I'm sure it will be one of them. Of course he could surprise us all and make it Tacoma or Midnight Train.

Radio not playing Mom to make it a top 10 really baffled me so I'm not sure what radio thinks works for them anymore.

SweetGBFan
03-12-2015, 05:41 AM
I would love to see Send Them on Down the Road as a single or Tacoma is good too. I am not crazy about Cold Like That. Tired of the Boys would be good.

Skywise
03-12-2015, 10:00 AM
The more I listen to it, Tacoma sounds like a song that might get released- It's definitely not what I would have put in the 'last slot' Garth likes to pu his favorite songs on an album into, but I can see it getting released- It won't be send em on down the road (or at least, it shouldn't..) Id wager, due to being two slow ballads in a row and Garth's radio 'comeback' for what it is kinda stalling... it's not sizzling and going well at all.. Heck- Garth's not been played at all in the last 6-8 hours on our largest radio station out here. Nothing from MAM, nothing from any other album. Yet, George Strait? ehh twice. Jason Aldean? 4 times. Darius rucker? twice- Randy Houser? twice. Brett Eldredge (who?) twice... Chesney, mcgraw, underwood, Luke bryan, florida georgia line - twice.. heck even rascal flats - twice... Brad Paisley twice.. but nothing from Garth-

With a new album and ACM noms, and his 'cred' from the past- you'd think they'd have thrown in at least one song.. but in the end? it's old news by now- Garth's not a radio darling, he's not doing things their way I suppose- he is all in for country radio being his avenue to the masses, like any other crotchety old person, set in their ways who thumbs their nose at progress... (i.e. TRUE digital / technological advances in music).. .

But it's Garth.... he's always done things his own way, and has made both good/great (DL / vegas stint / performance etc) and bad (Chris Gaines) decisions...

Here's to hoping he makes a Splash at the ACM's.. maybe gets up a bit of a buzz radio wise..

songs ? likely to be cold like that (I'd agree) or she's tired of boys (possibly..) midnight train would be a great choice too...

throw a wildcard out there- what about 'you wreck me'?

retardless, I'm with Charles.. as long as its a song from MAM, and not some sort or 'hero medley' (though that was good years ago) or garth 'hits' medley.....

RandyZie
03-12-2015, 11:09 AM
Tacoma or Midnight train I would be happy with.

He should play cowboys forever, seeing it's in texas and I love the song :O

mbarker
03-12-2015, 11:37 AM
I don't think it will be "She's Tired of Boys" due to Trisha releasing her new single "I Remember You" this week. I think Garth releases either "Cold Like That" or "All American Kid" first. My gut tells me "All American Kid" with a choir of military veterans.

jturtels
03-12-2015, 12:41 PM
have you been listening to country radio lately?

Yup. Since when does Garth do what everybody else is doing?

jturtels
03-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Good point. Mom was just such an emotional song. The more I think about it, I really like the idea of Midnight Train being the single. Country, yet a little different than what's out there right now.

GarthdaMan
03-14-2015, 11:25 AM
I'm putting my money on either "Cold Like That" or "All American Kid." I saw pictures of what Garth did with the latter in Nashville's surprise show. It wouldn't shock me if he had some members of the military on stage and sang "All American Kid." That might be pretty cool.

garthcop
03-14-2015, 07:33 PM
The only problem with having members of the military on stage is that type of thing has been done before. I don't think it will come across as genuine.

wimpy77
03-14-2015, 09:33 PM
The only problem with having members of the military on stage is that type of thing has been done before. I don't think it will come across as genuine.

And to add it's cheesy as heck. I'm all for honoring the military but sometimes the country music community goes overboard.

YouSoundBitter
03-15-2015, 03:36 AM
I love You Wreck Me! :) If I had to guess (and hope) it will be Cold Like That. However, I do like the idea of a Tacoma done live with everyone in the band up there giving all they got!

Charles
03-15-2015, 08:26 PM
And to add it's cheesy as heck. I'm all for honoring the military but sometimes the country music community goes overboard.

No offense, but I see nothing cheesy about a performing artist putting our service men and women in the spotlight. Country music has had a long history of supporting our troops and singing songs about our country.

gbfansince3
03-15-2015, 09:15 PM
You Wreck Me is not Single material. I want You Wreck Me and Fish to stay album cuts. That chilling piano riff on YWM reminds me so much of what he did with the signature steel(?) under Wolves. I think it's Cold Like That because it's commercially comparable to Jason Aldean, as he keeps talking about. So yeah...I think he'll do Cold Like That.

Mr_Sevens
03-15-2015, 09:55 PM

Agreed. It's usually very cheesy. It can very easily feel forced too.

I'm sticking with Cold Like That. It makes the most sense.

garthcop
03-22-2015, 11:50 PM
Well, I might be able to post what it will be on here right before it happens because I just got tickets to the event! They are nosebleed, but at least I'll be in the same room as him.

Skywise
03-23-2015, 01:17 AM
nice! (the Tix!) as for the 'scoop'.. go for it! (if they won't allow you to on the board, PM me with the song)

mbarker
03-26-2015, 12:27 PM
The Academy of Country Music will be giving out seven Milestone Awards during the ACM awards in April. The honorees are Garth Brooks, Kenny Chesney, Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, George Strait, Taylor Swift, and Brooks & Dunn. http://www.cmt.com/news/1752572/seven-to-receive-acms-50th-anniversary-milestone-award/

RandyZie
03-26-2015, 12:54 PM
Nice! looks like they don't have a page for Garth, heh..

darkcountry
03-26-2015, 02:16 PM
Oh look. Another award for Miranda. The other 6 have at least made some kind of impact in music besides being Blake's wife. If Miranda wasn't married to Blake, she wouldn't have half the awards she does. I may sound bitter, but the woman is a terrible singer and a subpar songwriter.

Taylor at least drove a younger crowd to country radio.

mbarker
03-26-2015, 03:36 PM
Oh look. Another award for Miranda. The other 6 have at least made some kind of impact in music besides being Blake's wife. If Miranda wasn't married to Blake, she wouldn't have half the awards she does. I may sound bitter, but the woman is a terrible singer and a subpar songwriter.

Taylor at least drove a younger crowd to country radio.

While this seems a little harsh, I do think she is not on par with the other 6 recipients. Not sure of the exact criteria as it is a little vague, but if you replaced her with Randy Travis or Alabama, I would not have any complaints.

garthcop
03-26-2015, 05:17 PM
But those who have been to her shows love her.

wimpy77
03-26-2015, 07:22 PM
i think it's their attempt to get taylor swift to attend the awards.

allisonv7
03-26-2015, 08:33 PM
The award he's getting makes me think it's going to be one of the past hits. I'm crossing my fingers for a medley!

Skywise
03-27-2015, 01:21 AM
unfort. a medley of past hits will be a big YAwN... (at least for me).. a Medley interspersed with a new song, or heck anything new would be better.. (still I guess I'll be happy for ANY garth performance when it comes down to it)

CBooUF
03-27-2015, 11:11 AM
He has been pretty clear that this is a 2nd half of a career, so it wouldn't make sense to play anything but new music. I would put smart money on Cold Like That. Great song for a stadium performance.

Emerald Isle
03-27-2015, 11:31 AM
He has been pretty clear that this is a 2nd half of a career, so it wouldn't make sense to play anything but new music. I would put smart money on Cold Like That. Great song for a stadium performance.

Except that, according to Garth, the ONLY thing anyone EVER wants to hear him do live is the old stuff, so I think he'll play another medley of old hits.

I'm sort of just teasing, but I honestly would not be surprised if that is what actually ends up happening.

RandyZie
03-27-2015, 02:09 PM
You both make valid points, I'm split. He always says he goes to concerts to hear the old stuff. But he never said anything about award shows, has he?

If he plays something new, it would make sense it would be released to radio just prior for a good boost. no?

wimpy77
03-27-2015, 06:01 PM
You both make valid points, I'm split. He always says he goes to concerts to hear the old stuff. But he never said anything about award shows, has he?

If he plays something new, it would make sense it would be released to radio just prior for a good boost. no?

Probably after the week after if he plays something new.

GarthdaMan
04-15-2015, 12:38 AM
Garth will be performing "All American Kid" on Sunday night at the ACM awards show. I had a feeling he might try that. It's hard to unlike a song performed with members of the military as part of the performance.

He has stated he might lip sync depending on how his voice responds after his set in Portland. I really hope he can sing "live."

GBJR77
04-15-2015, 11:22 AM
It's hard to unlike a song performed with members of the military as part of the performance.

Actually, it is pretty easy. There have been countless performances with the military used as a backdrop that I have not liked, mainly every single one I've ever seen. This at least frees up my Sunday night though, and keeps me from suffering through the rest of the show. Knowing I won't miss out on anything I really care for, or a song that I actually like, I can just catch it on the 'net next week.

Skywise
04-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Actually, it is pretty easy. There have been countless performances with the military used as a backdrop that I have not liked, mainly every single one I've ever seen. This at least frees up my Sunday night though, and keeps me from suffering through the rest of the show. Knowing I won't miss out on anything I really care for, or a song that I actually like, I can just catch it on the 'net next week.
Ok, I had to smile at that one....

I'll prob watch/ tape it, because I'm kinda a sucker for Garth singing songs live that aren't ones I've heard a lot before... But I def understand your feelings kr!

RandyZie
04-15-2015, 11:47 AM
Chiming in with my usual "it should have been cowboys forever" followed by a performance by Strait.

I'm borderline, I might watch for garth.

mbarker
04-15-2015, 02:11 PM
Garth will be performing "All American Kid" on Sunday night at the ACM awards show. I had a feeling he might try that. It's hard to unlike a song performed with members of the military as part of the performance.

He has stated he might lip sync depending on how his voice responds after his set in Portland. I really hope he can sing "live."

Did he confirm "All American Kid" on the SiriusXM townhall? I saw the lip sync info on USA Today from the Town Hall interview.

Mr_Sevens
04-15-2015, 04:40 PM
Bummed that he might be lip-syncing and bummed that it's All-American Kid. Such a bland song IMO and a lip-synced performance certainly won't help it. I might just look for his performance online after the show. Oh well. Hoping he wins EOTY at least!

Why Missouri
04-15-2015, 04:58 PM
I know this is dumb. . .but it always bothers me when i listen to All-American Kid that the football team was down by 6 when he runs it in and everyone celebrates like they won. If they were down by 6 he only tied the game!

That is one of those little things that I would think someone would have caught while they were recording the track. Why not make them down by either 4 or 5 and then he would have actually won the game.

GarthdaMan
04-15-2015, 05:15 PM
MBarker--I read a tweet from a member of the military who said he was going to be a part of Garth's "All American Kid" performance at the ACMs.

I guess I'm in the big minority of people who really like that song. It was the first song I learned all of the words to on the new album. I get goosebumps when I listen to the end of the song. I'm happy he's singing new music, at least.

mbarker
04-15-2015, 07:28 PM
GarthdaMan - I really like All American Kid. I have two boys in the Army and it hits close to home for me. I also know the writer and am extremely excited for him.

I just don't feel like this will be a radio hit for Garth. I actually like the original version better than Garth's (just acoustic and Garth changed some lyrics). I wonder if "Cold Like That", "Tired of the Boys", "Midnight Train", or "Tacoma" would have more success at radio.

Brett Dale
04-15-2015, 08:19 PM
Please Please Please dont lip sync. Seriously dude, dont lip sync.

I like to know who the moron is that is advising him on what to do, and please dont tell me its all Garth, someone is
giving him bad advice.

wimpy77
04-15-2015, 08:47 PM
I remember last year when Rascal Flats lip sync'd because their lead singer lost his voice. They got killed in the press the day afterwards.

garthcop
04-15-2015, 09:55 PM
All American Kid is so generic, a theme that has been in country music frequently since 9/11, and not something that will set him apart from the others like Cold Like That. Ugh. Who is advising him?

tearin' it up
04-15-2015, 09:59 PM
Do Rodeo or Papa Loved Mama if an old song, The Dance & FILP are done too much

YouSoundBitter
04-15-2015, 10:33 PM
I was also hoping for COLD LIKE THAT. Oh well, I'll still be checking in!

Skywise
04-15-2015, 10:53 PM
I know this is dumb. . .but it always bothers me when i listen to All-American Kid that the football team was down by 6 when he runs it in and everyone celebrates like they won. If they were down by 6 he only tied the game!

That is one of those little things that I would think someone would have caught while they were recording the track. Why not make them down by either 4 or 5 and then he would have actually won the game.
unless of course, he was 'running it in' as the 2 pt conversion.. theres enough wiggle room :)

Skywise
04-15-2015, 10:56 PM
GarthdaMan - I really like All American Kid. I have two boys in the Army and it hits close to home for me. I also know the writer and am extremely excited for him.

I just don't feel like this will be a radio hit for Garth. I actually like the original version better than Garth's (just acoustic and Garth changed some lyrics). I wonder if "Cold Like That", "Tired of the Boys", "Midnight Train", or "Tacoma" would have more success at radio.

hmm- I like the song the more and more I hear it, but I don't know if it's radio friendly either. I think "She's tired of boys" or Midnight train would do better- I know Garth loves Tacoma, but I think it's misplaced on the album, IMO- Mom would be better at the end

Dudleynascar
04-15-2015, 10:59 PM
I took it as they are "down by a 6 ball", like they need a TD to win, not a FG or something. Just an idea.

Charles
04-16-2015, 12:03 AM
George Strait is getting one of those awards too..and he's doing a new song.

Come on Garth !!!!! Something from MAN AGAINST MACHINE!!!!

I think I read somewhere on twitter that Garth said it was an "emotional performance."

GoesATG
04-16-2015, 06:30 AM
...the part of that scenario that didn't make the song is where the referees took 10 minutes to clear the field so that they could kick the extra point. Then they rushed the field again and raised him high. It would have just been too anti-climatic to put that in the song as a bridge or something.

onair
04-16-2015, 02:24 PM
Garth's not a radio darling, he's not doing things their way

I am probably taking this small snippet out of context, apologies ahead of time.

It's not radio's way of doing things, its the record labels' way of doing things. The labels drive radio. The labels have the money to spend on the PR & marketing to radio. The better question becomes, what is Garth and more importantly Sony/RCA Nashville doing to drive the album and the single adds/plays with country radio???

How many times have you heard a station giving away a trip to see (insert artist's name here) in (insert tour city here)? Those are all driven by the label, promoting an album & single and of course the artist. Or a station promotion sponsored by a label or actual album spots (MAM the brand new album by GB) etc.

Where are the Garth Flyaways, Giveaways & Promotions????

Now I will put some of this back on the stations. Are the promotion directors and the program directors and the music directors calling up Sony/RCA Nashville and saying I want to ABC and we need XYZ from you to make it happen???

Sorry for the rant and kinda being off topic. Stepping off of the soap box.

onair
04-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Going back on topic...

At least the label lobbied to get him a performance slot on the ACMs!!

This might take some doing, but remember when the ACMs & the CMAs used to be the launching point for new music?? Several artists would debut the next single on the shows and they would be added at radio following the show. It only makes sense to me that he debut a new song on the show.

Skywise
04-16-2015, 02:40 PM
I am probably taking this small snippet out of context, apologies ahead of time.

It's not radio's way of doing things, its the record labels' way of doing things. The labels drive radio. The labels have the money to spend on the PR & marketing to radio. The better question becomes, what is Garth and more importantly Sony/RCA Nashville doing to drive the album and the single adds/plays with country radio??? not TOTALLY out of context (lol- don't need to requote myself, but I did have to look back to when I actually said this :) ) .. the comment was made about the radio playing (or NOT) garth in my local area... about the time of the concerts..

What is being done to drive the album? little to nothing, IMO- at least, if it's solely their ball to run with- Radio isn't playing anything Garth wise at least in denver. If they are, songs aren't being played when most are around to hear.

today? Garth has been played ONCE (never mind how many times luke bryan, tim mcgraw, etc. pop up) , and that was FILP being played at 315 AM.. 315!!! who is listening to radio in a desirable demographic then?

How many times have you heard a station giving away a trip to see (insert artist's name here) in (insert tour city here)? Those are all driven by the label, promoting an album & single and of course the artist. Or a station promotion sponsored by a label or actual album spots (MAM the brand new album by GB) etc.

Where are the Garth Flyaways, Giveaways & Promotions???? Ok, I'll modify my comment then some.. GARth's not a "label darling" either- he controls his masters, etc.. Garth's not doing things their way anyway.. (almost makes me wish he was a little beholden to a label, as he'd maybe be 'directed' to evolve his digital "chip" (as in chip on the shoulder)..

Now I will put some of this back on the stations. Are the promotion directors and the program directors and the music directors calling up Sony/RCA Nashville and saying I want to ABC and we need XYZ from you to make it happen???

Sorry for the rant and kinda being off topic. Stepping off of the soap box.
rants are good every now and then.. you'd think that with the ACM's around Garth might be a little more in the news. Or, at least with his tour rocking along he'd be in the news- heck KYGO was all over the pepsi center when Garth was there, but was there a presence on the radio? not much of one, that I saw... (or heard, rather)...

Back to the ACM's.. Garth will make parts of it worth watching- but with country being mostly junk nowadays IMO, he'll be the only real reason to watch- sad too, country shows used to be worth watching even if he wasn't awarded anything, as the artists were all people to care about

onair
04-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Don't get me started on Denver country radio....
KY is the default and they have no competition in the market. KWOF has become a joke. Their biggest issue previously was their signal, barely covers the metro, now there have been sooo many changes in the past year and they have lost any foothold they had at the venues for neutral shows (shows where there was not stage time for 1 station and not the other or the logo of one station being plastered everywhere). They used to have the exclusive on the Grisley Rose, the Wolf lost that too. Guess they still have the rights to the Stock Show. Wilks should put the Wolf out of its misery and pull the plug. It will be interesting to see what happens with KY now that Entercom (think Alice or KOSI) all but owns them (Lincoln Financial deal has yet to close, supposed to close 2nd Qtr).

Mr_Sevens
04-16-2015, 08:14 PM
If Garth WERE to perform a catalog song I'd prefer to hear The Change as the ACM's air on the 20th anniversary of the OKC Bombing.

Skywise
04-17-2015, 12:30 AM
Don't get me started on Denver country radio....
[quote]KY is the default and they have no competition in the market. I'm assuming you mean KYGO, correct? (www.kygo.com , not that I'm shameless shilling for their website :) )

KWOF has become a joke. Their biggest issue previously was their signal, barely covers the metro, now there have been sooo many changes in the past year and they have lost any foothold they had at the venues for neutral shows (shows where there was not stage time for 1 station and not the other or the logo of one station being plastered everywhere). They used to have the exclusive on the Grisley Rose, the Wolf lost that too. Guess they still have the rights to the Stock Show. Wilks should put the Wolf out of its misery and pull the plug. It will be interesting to see what happens with KY now that Entercom (think Alice or KOSI) all but owns them (Lincoln Financial deal has yet to close, supposed to close 2nd Qtr). who knows- I know I've really lost a LOT of interest in KYGO (sadly enough) since they #1 ended up playing little that resembles country music, and #2 let Kelly Ford go (whether mutual decision, her decision, or firing, I don't know- Denver's loss is NYC's gain though..) she was awesome. I forget who the program manager was, I want to say sandy travis but that's not right, he is the one who was on with Kelly a long time ago in the morning...maybe Tad something or other.. regardless. they're not doing that well.. haven't listened to the wolf in a long time (a bit of outdated perhaps and unwarranted loyalty to KYGO) but I know that I lost a bit of respect for Jonathan wilde when he jumped ship, but their playlists don't seem any better- lemme see- today (as of 930 PM Denver time) KYGO played Garth: 3 times today.. Thunder Rolls at 617pm and and FILP at 335 AM, and aint going down about 417 AM.. Wolf 92.5? they have played Garth a whopping 0.. yep.. 0 TIMes..

incidentally- Jason Aldean (an artist Garth has said he likes) has been played 15 times on KYGO (and (I think) 8-9 of them were "just getting started"..) and 19 times on The wolf (3 of them "just getting started")

Skywise
04-17-2015, 12:31 AM
If Garth WERE to perform a catalog song I'd prefer to hear The Change as the ACM's air on the 20th anniversary of the OKC Bombing.

that would be cool, and emotional- and you could thrown in boston footage perhaps.. or other tragedies and people overcoming them to show human spirit

garthcop
04-18-2015, 07:46 PM
No matter what we think about the song selection or how he performs it, a live national Garth performance is getting close!!

ElectricOutcast
04-19-2015, 01:27 AM
So has anybody been keeping up with his instagram posts this weekend with him prepping for the performance? I think they're pretty silly but at the same time, his voice doesn't sound rough or cracked and probably in tip-top shape so we may not have to worry about lip-syncing after all.

On a side note, until his performance comes up I'm gonna put my television on mute while the ACMs are on so I won't deal with either the bro-country or the disco sound it's been adopting lately.

RandyZie
04-19-2015, 01:29 AM
Was JUST about to make a thread about his FB/twitter posts, see what everyone thought about them. Seems like everyone is enjoying them. No complaints here.

garthcop
04-19-2015, 11:19 AM
He has been here in the DFW area all week with the other country music stars doing fundraisers, galas, etc. He and Trisha have been doing a lot of stuff. So I don't understand why his voice would be strained anyway.

kcflyer
04-19-2015, 04:06 PM
He has been here in the DFW area all week with the other country music stars doing fundraisers, galas, etc. He and Trisha have been doing a lot of stuff. So I don't understand why his voice would be strained anyway.

He had concerts this week in Portland and finished Thursday night.

I just saw his latest post with an electric guitar given to him by Buck Owens the night he proposed to Trisha. He said he's playing it tonight. It is red, white, and blue so it's patriotic, but I wouldn't have seen that one coming.

garthcop
04-19-2015, 05:04 PM
Yeah. He finished the 16th. So he should be good

garthcop
04-19-2015, 08:37 PM
I am sitting behind about 200 service men and women in uniform. Guess we'll see if they all get up before Garth performs

copinark
04-19-2015, 08:43 PM
He just posted he'd be playing the red, white, and blue guitar Buck Owens gave him. All signs pointing to All American kid.

garthcop
04-19-2015, 09:45 PM
They are all getting up now

garthcop
04-19-2015, 10:57 PM
They just gave the stadium special instructions for Garth!

Darkness
04-19-2015, 11:11 PM
Now, I'm curious, what were the instructions?

Darkness
04-19-2015, 11:15 PM
If he was lip syncing (and I don't think he was), you couldn't really tell.

jturtels
04-19-2015, 11:17 PM
Pretty sure he was lip syncing until that very last line.

RandyZie
04-19-2015, 11:21 PM
Hah...Turned it off just before he sang I guess..

TheAlpadacas
If it was live, then they should ignore the nominees and give him the Male Vocalist of the Year award (it was too perfect to have been live in that space - it is pretty clear that people have had issues hearing). I'm not sure how I feel about him lip syncing. As a musician, it doesn't sit so well with me.

garthcop
I don't know how it came across on tv but his stage presence tops all the others who.have performed tonight

TheAlpadacas
04-19-2015, 11:24 PM
I don't know how it came across on tv but his stage presence tops all the others who.have performed tonight

He is, no question, a better performer than anyone else there. Only McCartney and Gaga can even sit in the same room as him. However, I thought he was pushing a little bit, to compensate for the fact that he wasn't singing live. It wasn't my favorite Garth performance. However, I think it was a good treatment of the song, which I haven't cared for until now.

jturtels
04-19-2015, 11:25 PM
If it was live, then they should ignore the nominees and give him the Male Vocalist of the Year award (it was too perfect to have been live in that space - it is pretty clear that people have had issues hearing). I'm not sure how I feel about him lip syncing. As a musician, it doesn't sit so well with me.

Exactly. It was too perfect. There were also a couple times when it wasn't synced up exactly. Although I hate lip sync, it would be a tough call. Option B is to sound like crap and then have to deal with the "Garth Brooks sounds like crap now" the next day.

YouSoundBitter
04-19-2015, 11:30 PM

Unless your a musician with a tour schedule like his, its probably better to have an open mind and closed mouth:)

TheAlpadacas
04-19-2015, 11:30 PM
Exactly. It was too perfect. There were also a couple times when it wasn't synced up exactly. Although I hate lip sync, it would be a tough call. Option B is to sound like crap and then have to deal with the "Garth Brooks sounds like crap now" the next day.

I get it, but it contradicts an image he has established as a guy who won't auto-tune and who goes to great effort to maintain authenticity. I have never been let down by a performance when he wasn't in great voice (KC, Sunday in St. Louis, Sunday in Boston, even the late Saturday show in Tulsa), because his commitment to giving honest performances that honor the music transcend all of that.

TheAlpadacas
04-19-2015, 11:34 PM
Unless your a musician with a tour schedule like his, its probably better to have an open mind and closed mouth:)

Thanks for that. Honestly, I have concerns about his tour schedule. I am very concerned about the effect it could have on his longevity. Also, I'd like to see him dial back some of the unnecessary stress he puts on his voice.

Darkness
04-19-2015, 11:34 PM
Exactly, Sunday in St. Louis when you could tell his voice was hoarse, he sang fantastically well.

TheAlpadacas
04-19-2015, 11:37 PM
Exactly, Sunday in St. Louis when you could tell his voice was hoarse, he sang fantastically well.

I've not been bothered even when he doesn't sing particularly well. The only time I have been left wanting was after his performance of The Dance on Leno's last show.

TheAlpadacas
04-20-2015, 12:05 AM
I love Where Were You, but I would have MUCH preferred to hear The Change.

Brett Dale
04-20-2015, 12:29 AM
If Garth's had of done his Ireland concerts he wouldve got entertainer of the year. But well done to Luke.

wimpy77
04-20-2015, 12:49 AM
If Garth's had of done his Ireland concerts he wouldve got entertainer of the year. But well done to Luke.

unfortunately no he wouldn't had.

copinark
04-20-2015, 12:56 AM
Award was fan voted so him not playing Ireland had nothing to do with it.

Monakayla
04-20-2015, 01:01 AM
Garth is Entertainer of the year in our eyes and always will be. Love ya Garth if you read these!

Mr_Sevens
04-20-2015, 01:08 AM

That doesn't make sense. Why would that matter?

Skywise
04-20-2015, 02:15 AM
hmm- Well, I can't say I'm surprised at the result- As much as I would have liked to see Garth win (and Dang it if watching the show didn't become enjoyable, even through the crud that falls for country nowadays..).. I never expected it- He's just not "hip" with the young, luke bryan/jason aldean/miranda lambert/FGL type of fanbase... it wasn't meant to be, so it is what it was

That being said, a few thoughts (objective as always, maybe positive, maybe not..)

loved, LOVED hearing All American Kid.. honestly, I don't care if it was synced or not- #1, it was kinda hard to hear on the broadcast anyway.. #2- it was still an awesome performance..

- I wasn't really sure if it would be a good single, etc.. honestly? after hearing the dreck, and hearing AAK, I gotta say- I think it'd stand up against the current crop of singles rather well. please it Garth!

- this may or may not be an unpopular view.. I am as much as in awe of the work of our military as I am thankful for their patriotism, their loyalty, their service, and their example... However.. The parading of the military service members.. it was totally unneeded, didn't do anything for the song, and honestly - it seemed to be a bit of a pandering to emotion. I loved the performance.. I disliked the military servicemen part, as there really didn't seem to be much of a point to it- I was thrilled to see Taya Kyle do the intro though.. THAT should have been enough of a military connection.. maybe a bit of imagery on screens, etc.. But the parade? (which didn't seem to get there all in time anyway).. it really did nothing for me, and really didn't add to the performance IMO..

Yes, I'd have rather heard the Change too, especially since Were you there is #1 about 2001 and NYC , and #2 I'd want to hear Garth more.. Still, that song (the change) would have been he@@ to sing I'd wager, to do it justice, with his voice strained from a concert series.. I think it might've been too much.

other (yeah, non G) thoughts? loved the surprise (to him) of lee brice winning. Loved seeing the emotion on Jason Aldean's face during where were you) (Think that was the song).. LOVED seeing Brooks n Dunn reuniting, but dang has Ronnie Dunn started to go down the kenny rogers plastic surgery route, or am I nuts?

Taylor Swift- Beautiful, tall, skinny blonde (that was the thought as she came on stage).. having her honored by her mom, and seeing the reality of their relationship.. it was really cool (plus got to see a clip of my fav. TS song performance (don't know why, but I LOVE the should've said no' performance from the 2008 arm's)...

ok, soapbox over- Garth's back to touring.. we can go back to promoting, discussing, whining, moaning, talking, debating, praising, slamming, enjoying, and being 'nutts' for Garth and his music!!

garthcop
04-20-2015, 10:12 AM
Luke Bryan got the loudest cheers when his name was announced as candidate of EOY. He is the standard among young country fans and should be respected for that. But Garth got the loudest applause of the night when he was done performing. He is not "the bomb" right now but there is still a great level of respect for him even among those who were born after his last world tour.

Good job to the ACMs for using the milestone awards to get some of those artists that we grew up with back on the stage performing.

Emerald Isle
04-20-2015, 11:45 AM
I agree with every one your points, Scott. Great to see George, Alan, Reba, Brooks & Dunn, and Garth perform. Garth's performance was great.

leavealighton
04-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Maybe he ( Garth) will be a nominee then a winner for the next awards show- the CMA Awards the entertainer of the year award that is.

I read somewhere that the guitar he is using at the awards show will be used during his tour. Is that a clue that All American Kid will possible become a standard in his live shows?

Now for the next single on country radio - All American Kid !

jdl535
04-20-2015, 01:25 PM
All American Kid is my favorite song on the new CD. And will be his next #1 song.

onair
04-20-2015, 01:26 PM
Here is my nickels worth...

ACMs vs CMAs. The CMAs are the "important" ones, these are the ones voted on by the industry, it is your peers that are saying you deserve this award. Is it nice to win a trophy, Hell yeah!

Let's put Entertainer of the Year into a little more perspective:
Garth's first tour date: 9/4/14?...correct me if I'm wrong.
Luke toured about 10+ months in 2014

Based on what GB has done on this tour, I think the ACMs tipped their hat in amazement with the nomination and said Welcome Back Garth! Watch out next year. I think GB will have a good shot at the CMAs this fall/winter.

Whatcha think about the GB tour commercials??

TheAlpadacas
04-20-2015, 03:10 PM
Here is my nickels worth...

ACMs vs CMAs. The CMAs are the "important" ones, these are the ones voted on by the industry, it is your peers that are saying you deserve this award. Is it nice to win a trophy, Hell yeah!

Let's put Entertainer of the Year into a little more perspective:
Garth's first tour date: 9/4/14?...correct me if I'm wrong.
Luke toured about 10+ months in 2014

Based on what GB has done on this tour, I think the ACMs tipped their hat in amazement with the nomination and said Welcome Back Garth! Watch out next year. I think GB will have a good shot at the CMAs this fall/winter.

Whatcha think about the GB tour commercials??

I enjoyed the commercials. I liked the simplicity, and thought the focus on the fans highlighted what makes the experience different.

TheAlpadacas
04-20-2015, 03:13 PM
Maybe he ( Garth) will be a nominee then a winner for the next awards show- the CMA Awards the entertainer of the year award that is.

I read somewhere that the guitar he is using at the awards show will be used during his tour. Is that a clue that All American Kid will possible become a standard in his live shows?

Now for the next single on country radio - All American Kid !

It could be, but it could just as easily be the instrument he will use for Callin' Baton Rouge. I could see him working in a fun bit about what a sweet and special day it was when he received the guitar as a gift, and then segueing into a line about raising hell and having fun.

Mr_Sevens
04-20-2015, 04:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lu9l22yBc4&feature=youtu.be

For anyone who may have missed it, CBS uploaded Garth's performance to their YouTube page.

YouSoundBitter
04-20-2015, 08:28 PM
With a cd that sat at #1 on country charts for a long stretch and the tickets and reviews of concerts, anyone other than GB that wins it is a mistake on the next go-around of award voting:)

jturtels
04-20-2015, 09:25 PM
Did anybody notice that Lee Brice played a Takamine GB 7C?

YouSoundBitter
04-20-2015, 10:26 PM
Yes I did!!!

Mr_Sevens
04-20-2015, 11:23 PM
To risk straying a bit off topic, I just have to say, after seeing the ACM's OKC bombing tribute, I can't believe that Garth didn't sing the Change (He was probably never asked). For the academy to have Alan Jackson sing "Where Were You" and then show 9/11 pictures felt like a slap in the face to those affected by the bombing and those affected by 9/11. As if it's a generic song that should just be used to commemorate any tragedy.

Skywise
04-21-2015, 01:22 AM
Did anybody notice that Lee Brice played a Takamine GB 7C?

I noticed someone did (that was lee brice, eh?) thought it was kinda cool to see a GB7C being used!! (hehe same one I have too)

Skywise
04-21-2015, 01:23 AM
To risk straying a bit off topic, I just have to say, after seeing the ACM's OKC bombing tribute, I can't believe that Garth didn't sing the Change (He was probably never asked). For the academy to have Alan Jackson sing "Where Were You" and then show 9/11 pictures felt like a slap in the face to those affected by the bombing and those affected by 9/11. As if it's a generic song that should just be used to commemorate any tragedy.

playing devil's advocate I guess here.....

IF Garth really had problems with his voice, and IF he was lip syncing, (which he may have been after looking at the cubs youtube video.. . I didn't see him with the same type of wires from an ear monitor that others had used.. unless they were wireless , or I just wasn't seeing them.... Garth may have been syncing.. if so, his voice MAY have been too shot to do The change......

Mr_Sevens
04-21-2015, 02:23 AM
playing devil's advocate I guess here.....

IF Garth really had problems with his voice, and IF he was lip syncing, (which he may have been after looking at the cubs youtube video.. . I didn't see him with the same type of wires from an ear monitor that others had used.. unless they were wireless , or I just wasn't seeing them.... Garth may have been syncing.. if so, his voice MAY have been too shot to do The change......

Yeah, I'm sure there's some reason for it. I just can't believe they asked Alan Jackson to sing a completely irrelevant song that means so much to 9/11 survivors and families as if it could just be applied to any tragedy. Almost any other song would have been more appropriate than one so specially written for 9/11. It cheapens the song IMO.

YouSoundBitter
04-21-2015, 03:39 AM
Could have been the sound and video didn't match up. I haven't watch it other than TV once, so I don't know, don't really care BECAUSE it was a live Garth and not a dead Garth that recorded the vocals, if that was the case.

Let's move on, sure there are other topics to talk about.

garthcop
04-21-2015, 10:44 AM
An observation I have from being there. All of the artists were shown for the crowd on the big screen in the stadium EXCEPT Garth and Luke Bryan. They showed just a little bit of their faces on the screen. When they did, it appeared they were both lip syncing. Everyone else they showed up close on the big screen and there was no mystery if they were actually singing or not from what I could tell. I am sure there were others who did it but these two were appeared obvious and were quickly taken off of the screen.

Anonymous
04-21-2015, 08:59 PM
I'd like to believe if Garth had been asked to sing "The Change" he would not have lip synced, no matter the condition of his voice. I have no problem with him lip syncing "All American Kid" especially if it's a new single since it's a great platform to advertise. It's not really a performance, it's an ad.

As for the Garth commercials during the show- I wish they had used those to advertise the EOTY voting! I highly doubt many people have "see Luke Bryan in concert" on their bucket list ;)

mbarker
05-05-2015, 12:53 PM
Here is what the Executive Producer of the ACM's said about Garth's performance....

We asked each of the Milestone honorees to consider a medley.Garth came to us with that idea and pointed out we didn’t have a military moment in the show. He wanted Taya Kyle to introduce him, as well. We worked with the Department of Defense to get the military members there and contracted a company that works exclusively in card stunts. It was a process building that and once we got the elements in place, having two or three hundred service men and women right there, it was a chill bumps moment.

garthcop
05-05-2015, 03:19 PM
That's pretty awesome. All I know is that before the show I was okay with the song in general and now, after seeing him do the magic he does with songs when he sings them live, I can't stop playing it.