PDA

View Full Version : Sony Label CEO getting called out on his comments about today's country radio

garthcop
03-04-2015, 07:21 PM
I just heard a sports radio station do a whole segment on the Sony CEO doing an interview with radio stations saying that if an artist is not on country radio then they don't exist. Charlie Robison and Jack Ingram gave strong reactions and Jack Ingram joined the segment and explained that if he wants his music to get played on radio he has to change his music to fit it which is not what he is in favor of.

Ingram mentioned how the Jason Aldean and Georgia Florida Line artists have a different take on country music than the Texas artists and Garth Brooks have (yes, he specifically mentioned the G Man). They were brought up that if you didn't make it Nashville then you were working for you dad on the farm whereas the latter have a true appreciation for what country music is and value its artists that have been blocked out of today's country music radio. He explained how pop and rock artists have various outlets on the radio to have their current and past music played where as country artists only have one or two stations per market limiting what can be played.

Interesting comments from an insider who is seeing it like we do. Attached are links that give Robison's and Ingram's reaction to the Sony CEO's comments along with comments from FGL. Maybe we are on the verge of a breakthrough of some kind with all this type of chatter.

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/charlie-robison-pens-epic-response-to-gary-overtons-you-dont-exist-quote

http://www.wehatepopcountry.com/wp/?p=1270

RandyZie
03-04-2015, 07:31 PM
very interesting, thanks!

ElectricOutcast
03-05-2015, 08:01 AM
Since this is being brought up, I have to make a confession: That man's comments ran at me very deep because I don't hide the fact that I've distanced myself away from Country Radio a few years ago because of how Nashville rejected the man who rescued me from suicide when I was young, Jack Ingram. That man made me rethink my life and how I view music playing into it and for Gary Overton to run his mouth like that it's making me lead toward making a drastic decision and that:

Until Gary Overton either makes a formal apology or resigns from his post, I'm not buying anymore new Garth stuff through RCA Records because to buy stuff from that label would be giving a paycheck to the man who had the audacity to bash the singer and the genre that saved my life and I would never forgive myself if I did it. Sorry but I just can't do it.

gbroadtrip
03-05-2015, 09:09 AM
I'll enter here this comment I had from co-workers this week when the conversion turned toward a new R&B station in the area while on the way to lunch.

Ever wonder why you get these smaller "pop-up" stations appear on the airwaves for a short time and then suddenly go dark?

The statement was that anytime the larger (Clear Channel) stations get challenged for the #1 spot in the region... they spin up smaller stations to water down the market and steal listeners away to retain the top spot as much of the ad revenue is based on the rating in the area.

Now I don't know IF this is true, but you have to wonder if it's the dog wagging the tail or the other way round, it sure seems the business side seems pretty driven on what's making money. You get the newer artists who are just trying to make it and influenced creatively into creating music specifically for radio or what sounds they BELIEVE will play well.

Executives of record companies have to think of the bottom line and share holders in the end, just like CEO's of other large companies like P&G, Microsoft, and Wal-Mart... in the end if they don't lead a profitable company with a growing share price and meeting expectations set by business analyst... they are OUT.

I'll just say this... Executives come and go... George Straight, Reba, Garth, and a slew of other artists are making music that I buy, bought, and intend to continue to buy... no matter if it's top ten on the charts.

Shannon

ElectricOutcast
03-17-2015, 07:32 PM
Since this is being brought up, I have to make a confession: That man's comments ran at me very deep because I don't hide the fact that I've distanced myself away from Country Radio a few years ago because of how Nashville rejected the man who rescued me from suicide when I was young, Jack Ingram. That man made me rethink my life and how I view music playing into it and for Gary Overton to run his mouth like that it's making me lead toward making a drastic decision and that:

Until Gary Overton either makes a formal apology or resigns from his post, I'm not buying anymore new Garth stuff through RCA Records because to buy stuff from that label would be giving a paycheck to the man who had the audacity to bash the singer and the genre that saved my life and I would never forgive myself if I did it. Sorry but I just can't do it.

Well I can now bring my personal vendetta on this to a close because of word I got a few seconds ago: http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/sony-nashville-ceo-gary-overton-is-stepping-down-radio-comments-cited-as-possible-reason

RandyZie
03-17-2015, 08:11 PM
oh wow.

garthcop
03-18-2015, 10:09 AM
Interesting. So things really can be shaken up.