PDA

View Full Version : Billboard article "Garth Brooks on Making a Concept Album..."

mbarker
02-20-2015, 08:06 PM
A few interesting things in this article...

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-615/6480176/garth-brooks-interview

"We're planning on hearing something new from us hopefully around Christmas, or next spring," he said. "If you remember us, we do one about once a year, so it's coming up. It just seemed to work for us as far as the tour, being refreshed and new with new gas in it and stuff, the new music in it. It also lets you rework your tour a year in, which is great 'cause it fits the new album."

Charles
02-20-2015, 10:14 PM
That sounds awesome!!! I know we say this a lot as fans, but I am so glad Garth is back!!

Concept albums...love that idea.....and really like that Garth is mentioning putting the old stuff on VINYL! That is music to my ears!!!! Hope he releases a limited edition vinyl boxset...sign me up for that.

ElectricOutcast
02-21-2015, 12:02 AM
"So is Brooks' Quadrophenia or The Wall already in the works?"

I think his should be more along the lines of "The Pilgrim" by Marty Stuart (one of my favorite albums ) or I could go a few steps further and maybe make a part two to "Chris Gaines" and make "The Lamb" a country-opera

Brett Dale
02-21-2015, 02:19 AM
Uhm what is a concept album???

How does it differ from a normal album?

ElectricOutcast
02-21-2015, 08:35 AM
Uhm what is a concept album???

How does it differ from a normal album?

A concept album is a studio album where all musical or lyrical ideas contribute to a single overall theme or unified story. In contrast, typical studio albums consist of a number of unconnected songs (lyrically and otherwise) performed by the artist. It has been argued that concept albums should refer only to albums that bring in themes or story lines from outside of music, given that a collection of love songs or songs from within a certain genre are not usually considered to be a "concept album."

Emerald Isle
02-21-2015, 11:55 AM
This was really interesting. But, a couple of questions:

-Garth recorded 30 or so songs for MAM when it was still planned as a double album. And he recorded those when he still wasn't trusting his own pen, so to speak. Lately, he's said that he is starting to trust his own writing more, so it begs the question. Are those other 16 songs getting discarded completely?

-Next, it really does seem like they can't decide whether the "Fall 2015" album will actually be in fall 2015 or spring 2016. My guess is that if he and Trisha complete the Christmas duets album for this year, then they'll release that in November and the new Garth solo album will get pushed to spring 2016. If the Christmas album doesn't get done, then they'll release the solo album in November as originally planned. If they do push the solo album to 2016, then the big question for bundle buyers is whether the Christmas album or the new solo album would be designated as the "fall 2015" album that was included in the bundle.

-Last, this line surprised me: "Brooks has other plans moving forward, including digitally remastering his 1989-2001 recordings and possibly releasing new vinyl versions of the titles." HE JUST BARELY DID digitally remaster and enhance all the albums! The vinyl part I get since a bunch of his albums have never been released on vinyl, and that would require a unique mastering, so that's fine. But the article seems to indicate that a new round of remastering is for sure coming and then maybe the vinyl thing will also happen, as if it was two separate things. What more can be done unless he's going to stick the Limited Series bonus tracks back in? Or maybe deluxe editions of the albums with the "Lost Sessions" songs included as bonus tracks on the albums they were originally recorded for?

I generally like articles that give "new" information, but this one has generated way more questions for me than answers.

Skywise
02-21-2015, 12:25 PM
hmm..... questions forming def. while reading the article-.. too many to list here right now , but maybe later..

if remastering.. re-releasing YET AGAIN the same collection of albums- what will be done to make them viable for those who already have dipped into the Garth pond multiple times? what makes it worth doing so yet again

vinyl- don't see the need for it, though there is a vinyl resurgence happening (why I do't know but that's not me)

still, glad to have stuff Garth wise on the horizon- beats the bleak outlook of the 2001-2014 time frame by comparison

Skywise
02-21-2015, 12:27 PM
And concept album wise- some may be good, some can be failures..

"Music from the Elder" by KISS for example- 1, 2 good songs on it but as a whole- trash... it's a risk for Garth to go that way definitely- and will certainly give rise to the chris gaines fanatics again (let that misguided effort die a peaceful death please)

Emerald Isle
02-21-2015, 12:43 PM
And concept album wise- some may be good, some can be failures..

"Music from the Elder" by KISS for example- 1, 2 good songs on it but as a whole- trash... it's a risk for Garth to go that way definitely- and will certainly give rise to the chris gaines fanatics again (let that misguided effort die a peaceful death please)

Yeah, I agree. Based on the article, I think Garth is looking for a way to reinvigorate album sales, which is fine. But what if it works and it sells 8 million copies? Would that mean every album from here on out would also be a concept album? Then, what happens if it fails?

Mr_Sevens
02-21-2015, 02:48 PM
I'm not buying the albums digitally again. I would consider picking up a few vinyls though. Love that the medium has made a comeback.

I'm hoping we get the new album the fall rather than next spring. I do think this means that the other songs cut for Man Against Machine may be thrown out. People didn't respond very well to the new songs so he's probably considering a different direction. I think that's a good thing.

Brett Dale
02-21-2015, 04:25 PM
I didnt buy the bundle, but for the people who did, didnt it say that the second album would be released in 2015. If people paid their money in advance for this,
wouldnt he have to release it by law?

It said nothing about the second album being a xmas album or duets album?

I hope the concept album is something extra, that sounds like a great idea.

Skywise
02-21-2015, 05:28 PM
I'm sure Garth could find some way to back out of things, but yeah- the bundle stated you got the new albums, the entire catalog (gb,nf,rtw,tc,ip,fh,7's,sc),dl 25th anniversary, and the new album in 2015..

Mr_Sevens
02-21-2015, 06:01 PM
I didnt buy the bundle, but for the people who did, didnt it say that the second album would be released in 2015. If people paid their money in advance for this,
wouldnt he have to release it by law?

It said nothing about the second album being a xmas album or duets album?

I hope the concept album is something extra, that sounds like a great idea.

By law? No, I don't think so. A vague 2015 "date" isn't binding. It's also very likely that in the terms and agreements for GB.com and GT.com there is mention that dates for preorders may change. That's standard across all stores. Release dates change all the time for preordered items.

EDIT: Yep. Found it. From GarthBrooks.com:

G.COM LLC will be entitled to change the pricing and availability of any particular product(s) or service(s) without prior notice at any time.

wimpy77
02-21-2015, 07:12 PM
People either like concept albums or they hate them. Me I'm the latter. I hate them. I laugh at the notion of vinyl making a huge comeback. 9.2 million vinyl records isn't as huge compared to the number of downloads or the numbers of people signing up for streaming services. Vinyl is being bought by a niche of people. To me in order to be relevant, vinyl would need to sell in upwards of 20 million a year.

YouSoundBitter
02-22-2015, 07:08 AM
It does sound like he means to remaster and release those albums on vinyl (89-01), as a one and not two different projects.

I would buy the vinyl, it's a cool idea and I think it sounds better than digital or HD cds!

Lowland_Kid
02-22-2015, 07:15 AM
There are some concept albums that I really love. "Gideon" by Kenny Rogers, for instance! And "Days of Future Passed" by the Moody Blues. So I have nothing against them :) I am curious to see what Garth comes up with.

As to vinyl: I don't have any myself. But my BIL is an audiophile and last Christmas he played us some songs on vinyl (on an awesome system, of course) and afterwards we listened to CD's. The difference was HUGE! The CD's sounded so flat and "empty". The vinyl sounded so "warm". I really understand now why he is into vinyl.

G1976B
02-24-2015, 10:51 AM
I'll add two more concept albums that worked: Green Day's "American Idiot" and "21st Century Breakdown". Some REALLY good stuff.

MuchTooYoung
03-08-2015, 01:15 AM
I dig experimentation, so I'm inherently pro-concept album. It's one of several reasons I'm a fan of Willie Nelson, for instance. There are lots of sub-categories for a concept album, of course; everything from a duets album to a Christmas album, but if we exclude those kinds of things and focus just on themes, there's one that stands out as a possible (maybe even probable) theme for a Garth Brooks concept album: a Chris LeDoux-style set of Western/rodeo songs. It's the one subject that Garth has kept alive from his very first album, while nearly everyone else has ignored it during the last 25 years. Brooks & Dunn cut a few such songs; George Strait did a few, too. But by and large, that culture has been entirely shunned by Nashville for quite some time...except by Garth. Hell, it could even be a Chris LeDoux tribute album. (I'd be all OVER that!)

As for vinyl, I've been into that format for awhile now but oddly, I've focused almost entirely on old vinyl. I only have a handful of newly-released vinyl titles in my library, and most of those I got free for being part of the defunct Lost Highway Street Team. I doubt I'll re-buy the entire Garth catalog on vinyl, but I will definitely be a Day #1 buyer of a Sevens release!

RandyZie
03-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Chris LeDoux-style set of Western/rodeo songs.

:ipray::ipray:

Why Missouri
03-09-2015, 01:14 PM
The Eagles "Desperado" album is a concept album that is still one of my favorite all-time albums. . .so I think a concept album can work if done correctly

gbroadtrip
03-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Not all of the catalogue was released on vinyl... In Pieces was not released in the US and a rare find that fetches several hundred when you do see one. Fresh Horses, Sevens, Scarecrow... Not released on vinyl that I'm aware of.

I've got the first thee LPs in my collection and a dozen or so singles / 45s so I would be VERY interested in seeing it done (not a "box set") on vinyl.

Shannon

MuchTooYoung
03-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Not all of the catalogue was released on vinyl... In Pieces was not released in the US and a rare find that fetches several hundred when you do see one. Fresh Horses, Sevens, Scarecrow... Not released on vinyl that I'm aware of.

I've got the first thee LPs in my collection and a dozen or so singles / 45s so I would be VERY interested in seeing it done (not a "box set") on vinyl.

Shannon

It'd almost certainly still be worth re-buying those early albums because it's pretty much a given that the reissues will be on 180 gram vinyl, as well as having been remastered. At this point, Sevens is the only album I'm 100% committed to buying on vinyl. My interest in the others will be determined by price point and what else may vie for my attention. I'm generally content with listening to digital music on my iPod; I still buy CD's, but typically I just import them into my iTunes library and listen to the music that way far more often than I actually play the discs themselves. Vinyl for me is sort of a "favorites-only" sub-section of my library. Which reminds me, I still don't have the vinyl of Melody Gardot's My One and Only Thrill.... :'(