PDA

View Full Version : Next single?

ManAgnstMachine
01-12-2015, 12:32 PM
I am thinking it's gonna be "All American Kid" or "You Wreck Me"

All American Kid fits into the current trend of country and I think would fair well with the patriotic audience.
My personal hope is "You Wreck Me," I feel like Garth would make a statement putting it out on country radio with the unique sound that it has for him. Would be gutsy, and with the song quality, it should be a smash!

Thoughts?

Mr_Sevens
01-12-2015, 12:49 PM
My guesses are All-American Kid (not a big fan) or Cold Like That (stands a decent chance at radio)

ManAgnstMachine
01-12-2015, 02:47 PM
I have a sinking feeling its gonna be All American Kid

Skywise
01-12-2015, 03:16 PM
Hmm good question... I'd love to see cold like that.... Or midnight train

Paula
01-12-2015, 04:29 PM
I read somewhere...where I can't remember...that Garth sang Cold Like That during one of his soundchecks. Not that it means anything.

Paula

STLGarth
01-12-2015, 05:01 PM
I read somewhere...where I can't remember...that Garth sang Cold Like That during one of his soundchecks. Not that it means anything.

Paula

Yep! In St. Louis he was working the song with the band before all his shows.

garth_fan_13
01-12-2015, 05:28 PM
Hmm good question... I'd love to see cold like that.... Or midnight train

I think Midnight Train would go straight to #1. Would love to see that released - strongest song on the record IMO, besides MAM. It seems like it would draw a large appeal, young and old. It's unique from what's playing on radio right now.

Emerald Isle
01-12-2015, 05:42 PM
I think Midnight Train would go straight to #1. Would love to see that released - strongest song on the record IMO, besides MAM. It seems like it would draw a large appeal, young and old. It's unique from what's playing on radio right now.

Agreed.

Charles
01-12-2015, 06:47 PM
I'm thinking All American Kid or maybe even Wrong About You? I don't think there's a bad choice..maybe Tacoma or Cold Like That..

I'm not sure why there are so many haters on All American Kid...(atleast it seems that way)...it seems like a slam dunk choice to me.

I'm going to be pretty close to the stage on Saturday in Tulsa and think I'm going to put Cold Like That and All American Kid on my sign in hopes Garth sees it.

Mr_Sevens
01-12-2015, 09:18 PM
I'm thinking All American Kid or maybe even Wrong About You? I don't think there's a bad choice..maybe Tacoma or Cold Like That..

I'm not sure why there are so many haters on All American Kid...(atleast it seems that way)...it seems like a slam dunk choice to me.

I'm going to be pretty close to the stage on Saturday in Tulsa and think I'm going to put Cold Like That and All American Kid on my sign in hopes Garth sees it.

For me All-American Kid is just musically and vocally dull. That and the lyrics aren't very unique. The mix of those three things make the song very bland to me.

copinark
01-12-2015, 11:01 PM
Not sure if it means anything, but during the music that's played before the concert (normally a lot of Patty Loveless, haggard, etc) All Anerican kid was played shortly before the start.

GarthdaMan
01-12-2015, 11:39 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it is "She's Tired of Boys." I like that song a lot and the songwriting. "Midnight Train" and "Cold Like That" would be fine choices too.

ManAgnstMachine
01-13-2015, 08:59 AM
I just think they may do All American Kid because it most closely resembles what is already out there. I do love that song, (not that I don't love the whole record lol) I would just rather see him push the boundary with something less common. I would be shocked if he put Midnight Train out though, its my favorite on the record, and I think its a smash too.

I would say that its safe to say "Wrong About You" is too short for radio. They would have to add an extra solo to put it at at least 2 mins, 30 secs for it to be a real possibility.

Rodeo and Juliet is definitely out of the running as well, as if that was not obvious haha

RandyZie
01-13-2015, 10:01 AM
Rodeo and Juliet is definitely out of the running as well, as if that was not obvious haha

:( :(

BLL
01-13-2015, 10:31 PM
I frickin' LOVE Rodeo & Juliette as its clever and fun!

garth76
01-15-2015, 09:13 AM
I would love for the next single to be either Midnight Train or Tacoma. I think those are the strongest songs on the album....
In my opinion, he should stay as far away from releasing something that sounds like what's out there these days....

RandyZie
01-15-2015, 12:12 PM
In my opinion, he should stay as far away from releasing something that sounds like what's out there these days....

So, Rodeo and Juliet? ;)

YouSoundBitter
01-15-2015, 09:15 PM
What contempary station plays western swing stuff? Lol
I still like the idea of WRONG ABOUT YOU, short and sweet, plus its an awesome song, fun!!

ManAgnstMachine
01-16-2015, 09:25 AM
What contempary station plays western swing stuff? Lol
I still like the idea of WRONG ABOUT YOU, short and sweet, plus its an awesome song, fun!!

But did you really think it's long enough as it sits? They would have to add a solo or something, dont you think?

YouSoundBitter
01-16-2015, 09:54 AM
I think so. Especially morning radio, they get an extra minute or so to talk more! It's upbeat, no deep message to it, I think it would work good. I have nothing to do with working with radio, so I don't know what their "policy" is on length of songs though...

garthcop
01-18-2015, 01:32 PM
I think Wrong About You is the most radio friendly song on the whole album.

Skywise
01-18-2015, 01:59 PM
hmm- the more I listen and think about it, I'm thinking the most radio friendly ones right now may be she's tired of boys, and MAYBE you wreck me or midnight train

garthcop
01-18-2015, 02:00 PM
Fair enough. I would love to hear Midnight Train released.

Steven75407
01-18-2015, 03:09 PM
All American Kid. Good story song and I think it would make a great music video. I still wonder why he didn't release a video for PLP.

Steven75407
01-18-2015, 03:15 PM
All American Kid. Good story song and I think it would make a great music video. I still wonder why he didn't release a video for PLP.

darkcountry
01-22-2015, 11:05 AM
Wrong About You would work fine without an instrumental. The shorter song would help to fill additional airtime during an hour which programmers would appreciate. Additionally, there are a number of hit songs that are fairly short.

Dreamboat Annie
Mercedes Benz
Her Majesty
Chattahoochee
On The Road Again
A bunch of Hank Williams Sr, Conway Twitty and Johnny Cash songs

If Garth released it, I think it would be embraced.

CBooUF
01-22-2015, 12:07 PM
It appears Mom is dead at radio based upon its chart history. If Mom died with all the great viral video buzz it had, nothing he releases is going to get traction. He just doesn't fit into radio's programming formula right now. Let's just enjoy the recordings and the touring and the occasional TV appearances.

SoCalGarthFan
01-22-2015, 02:53 PM
It appears Mom is dead at radio based upon its chart history. If Mom died with all the great viral video buzz it had, nothing he releases is going to get traction. He just doesn't fit into radio's programming formula right now. Let's just enjoy the recordings and the touring and the occasional TV appearances.

Unless you fit the mold of what the radio stations want to play, you're excluded.

I'm a big fan of Dave Matthews Band. They had an awesome song on their last album called "Mercy." It was and is a wonderful song, which was even better when performed live. Despite that, it Never got any airplay. Even the radio stations who would play Dave Matthews Band, only stick to their old "hits," the same standard songs they would normally play because they were big hits about 15 years ago.

It's sad, because I think that "Mom" is one of those songs, which should do great if given the chance. But what do I know?

Mercy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahUWn1MpccI

Mr_Sevens
01-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Unless you fit the mold of what the radio stations want to play, you're excluded.

I'm a big fan of Dave Matthews Band. They had an awesome song on their last album called "Mercy." It was and is a wonderful song, which was even better when performed live. Despite that, it Never got any airplay. Even the radio stations who would play Dave Matthews Band, only stick to their old "hits," the same standard songs they would normally play because they were big hits about 15 years ago.

It's sad, because I think that "Mom" is one of those songs, which should do great if given the chance. But what do I know?

Mercy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahUWn1MpccI

Yup. One of my local stations has played Garth 5 times in the last 24 hours. Not one of them was "Mom" or even "People Loving People"

garthcop
01-22-2015, 05:15 PM
The good thing is we know he has another album coming out next year. If nothing from this album is a big hit then who knows what we might hear on that one! In the meantime, at least us fans are able to have him back.

RandyZie
01-22-2015, 07:45 PM
I've been hearing mom, sometimes multiple times a day. Obviously followed by luke and the others. Actually heard FILP for the first time in years also just the other day.

mbarker
01-23-2015, 12:12 PM
I have SiriusXM and an alert comes on whenever any of their stations play Garth. I am in the car about 2 hours a day. I have only heard Mom once on a Christian station and People Loving People once on a Christian Station and once on OutQ - the LGBT station. I have never heard either played on The Highway (contemporary country). Old songs like Thunder, River, etc are played often on Prime Country (70's, 80's and 90's country). More Than A Memory is occasionally played on Y2Country (2000's country).

Brett Dale
02-04-2015, 08:58 PM
When will the next single from Man Against Machine be released?

And what would it be?

Skywise
02-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Has mom completely peaked? Is it in the way down? I'm thinking still it'll be midnight train or she's tired of boys

CBooUF
02-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Mom is no longer charting on Billboard Airplay Charts. Radio just isn't going to play him anymore. The era of Garth singles at radio is over. Let's enjoy the albums, touring, and TV performances.

garthcop
02-05-2015, 01:31 PM
The interesting question is what are Garth's expectations. He said he never thought he would have another platinum album when he was on the Today show and he was scared to death to come back. Is this what he expected and it is us fans who are having to make the adjustment? He is still having fun. And he may still have another big hit on the radio in time.

Mr_Sevens
02-05-2015, 01:56 PM
I'm not yet willing to say Garth is done at radio forever. I think it's come down to the choice in singles. Mom, in my opinion, isn't as good People Loving People was (from a radio play standpoint) and that song was perfect either.

The next album needs to have some more radio friendly fare if that's what he's looking for.

wimpy77
02-05-2015, 09:56 PM
I have to be honest and I've never said it here. I don't there's a single on the album that screams hit. There's a formula on radio and if you don't follow that formula you're not going to get played.

wimpy77
02-05-2015, 09:57 PM
The interesting question is what are Garth's expectations. He said he never thought he would have another platinum album when he was on the Today show and he was scared to death to come back. Is this what he expected and it is us fans who are having to make the adjustment? He is still having fun. And he may still have another big hit on the radio in time.

I think fans thought he would pick up where he left off but times have changed.

Garthmedic
02-05-2015, 10:10 PM

I think he did pick up where he left off, but country music listeners have changed.

wimpy77
02-05-2015, 11:05 PM
I think he did pick up where he left off, but country music listeners have changed.

I meant in terms of album sales.

Skywise
02-05-2015, 11:16 PM

I think there are definitely some fans who thought that, absolutely- I'm not pinning any one particular fan as this way, but there are fans out there who think Garth can do no wrong, has never done wrong, practically walks on water. my thought is those type of fans would be the ones tending to think Garth would pick right up where he left off, and be as popular as ever..

thing is though, the fans who were in the prime ticket-buying/supporting with cd/record sales area at the height of Garth's prior run (say, late 90's.... Double live time frame, before Garth's ill fated Chris Gaines turn, and the semi winding down till scarecrow came out / Garth retired to oklahoma.... ) are 17 years older now. if they were 18 then, they're 35.. if they were 35, (18-34 being most desirable demographic) they're 53 now. ... not only have they grown up, priorities have changed, economy has changed, times have changed. Garth's music may have not changed, and neither has his thought process. but, as spud says below

Country music listeners have changed.. they don't have patience for good music.. they are fed the pop infused, taylor-swiftesque bro country dreck that fills the airwaves.... that's what they've been conditioned to think is good music.

it's another generation... another way of doing things... another 'machine' for lack of a better word..

I meant in terms of album sales.

The demographic which were in the prime when Garth was last on top- they've gotten older- have families, new responsibilities, kids of their own, mortgages, you name it.. they've been through the current misadministration of our country, the misadministration of the last president, all of it- the crashes, ups and downs.. priorities have shifted- the current crop of fan wants things quick- digital- easy to get.. Garth's not made that happen (legally).... album sales can't/won't be like they were

ok. nuff ranted about there (I got long winded!) I'm still hoping single wise for she's tired of boys or Midnight Train. Tacoma- would be a bad choice.. Garth's done the message song- the ballad.. he needs to hit something rocking now.. (which is why I'd LIKE to see Cold Like That, but don't believe it'd be chosen)

BLL
02-05-2015, 11:22 PM
Country music has swung to pop/bro country; I don't listen to the radio at all unless I'm in the hubby's car (I have Garth cassettes in mine) and then its the classic country station. I want to hear a three minute 'story' with a begining, middle and end that makes me smile; that experience used to be common but sadly is now as rare as hen's teeth.

RandyZie
02-06-2015, 12:09 AM
I want to hear a three minute 'story' with a begining, middle and end that makes me smile; that experience used to be common but sadly is now as rare as hen's teeth.

Exactly. That along with skywise's comment sum up my thoughts as well.

mvhuenen
02-06-2015, 04:46 AM
cassettes? really? You may have to explain what those things are in case we have younger people on this forum :)

BLL
02-06-2015, 11:45 AM
LOL! My truck is a 1996- no cd player or even port for an Ipod!

garthcop
02-07-2015, 01:37 PM
They are playing Reba's new song to death here. Why not Garth? I think he must have ticked too many in the industry off by always doing things his way.

Skywise
02-07-2015, 05:00 PM
I would say that garth's refusal to play along with others could have had a detriment in his treatment at radio- perhaps some see it as he abandoned country 14 years ago and now wants them to bow back to him.. like any relationship, they've moved on.. who knows?

Charles
02-07-2015, 05:00 PM
Only station I hear Reba's new song on here is the Nash Icon station... and she signed with Nash Icon, so there's that.

I agree though..I've heard People Loving People and Mom some...but not nearly as much as Reba's new single.

Emerald Isle
02-07-2015, 11:20 PM
They are playing Reba's new song to death here. Why not Garth? I think he must have ticked too many in the industry off by always doing things his way.

Or, it could just be that Reba's song is simply more radio friendly than PLP or Mom.

Mr_Sevens
02-08-2015, 02:11 PM
Or, it could just be that Reba's song is simply more radio friendly than PLP or Mom.

It's this. I really think it is. Reba doesn't always do well on radio anymore, but this is a very accessible song for country radio's audience.

AronP24
02-09-2015, 06:29 PM
'Tired of the Boys' , "Midnight Train" and 'Cold Like That' have the potential to be radio monsters...Tacoma could do well as well...the rest of the album including the two radio songs already released is mediocre at best.
If he wants ANY nominal success from album singles he will release one of those.

Skywise
02-09-2015, 06:34 PM
good call - don't know if I'm totally in agreement about cold like that being a radio hit- but it could be a single

AronP24
02-09-2015, 06:54 PM
'Tired of the Boys' is my fave atm. I think it would def. do well.

Hope you enjoyed the pkg. Didn't hear back if you had gotten it or not.

Skywise
02-09-2015, 06:56 PM
hey there man- I DID enjoy the package!! It came at the perfect time too.... thank you again!!!

YouSoundBitter
02-09-2015, 08:28 PM
I don't think Midnight Train would be a smash on radio, though I do like the song. I still like Wrong About You as a Top 10 for sure, maybe Top 5 single.

Love Cold Like That, too.

gbkubfan
02-10-2015, 02:54 AM
I think Garth needed to market MOM to adult contemporary. I think that song would play to that demo. After watching the people who reacted to the song when he did TV, I think its the kinda song that would play on that format. It could be played at work or in the lobby or waiting room.
And I think radio isn't as important for lack of a better word for sales. I mean sure, the younger crowd downloads but Garth is still selling CDs despite lack of airplay. I think he should concentrate on marketing the album like he use to. If you look at sales of the other albums, not too many of them are gold or platinum and those that are, I think took a longer time to get there. As long as he puts out good product and the fans support him, things should be alright. I really hope he does do vinyl, that would be cool.
The major thing I hope he works on is distribution. I had trouble finding copies of the CD when it came out. If he can get a display or hook an endcap with some promo in Target or Wally World and even Best Buy I think it could help. Those are about the only 3 places that I know sell cds anymore unless there is a music store or Barnes and Noble with music section. I know Garth wants his Ghosttunes to be successful but a lot of people still don't like to purchase on-line. JMHO

onair
02-11-2015, 12:53 PM
gbkubfan might be on to something and its something we don't see. What is Sony/RCA/Pearl doing to promote the singles with radio? If the marketing teams are not burning up the phone lines/emails/texts of the MDs & PDs, the song is not going to make it. I can share some stories of what labels will do to get songs added and played. Payola is in theory illegal, jocks can't take the money for playing songs, but the stations and conglomerates can.

Brett Dale
02-23-2015, 06:51 PM
Will another single actually be released??

Mr_Sevens
02-23-2015, 08:02 PM
That would be a great question for his next news conference.

mbarker
02-24-2015, 01:54 PM
Will another single actually be released??

In the Bobby Bones interview - Garth was asked which songs from "Man Against Machine" that he would want people to hear - he mentioned three songs by name - All American Kid, She's Tired of the Boys, and Cold Like That.

Brett Dale
02-25-2015, 02:54 AM
Cool, shes tried of boys would be a huge hit.

garthcop
02-25-2015, 08:07 AM
Cold Like That is a song that he has bragged about in interviews as being edgy.

gbroadtrip
02-25-2015, 09:19 AM
I think I read that he had been practicing Cold Like That in sound checks at some recent concerts.

Shannon

AHBAMember
02-27-2015, 05:00 PM
I would have thought, if anything, radio would be more "tolerant" (for lack of a better world) of mature/older males than of females the same age. Going by this discussion and what we're hearing (and not hearing), maybe that's not true.

And I don't know what the impact is of retiring and trying to come back (as Garth, and Trisha, sort of, did). Reba and some of the others didn't necessarily go away by choice.

garthcop
03-02-2015, 09:11 AM
I just bought the latest Kenny Chesney album. He is someone who's work I have greatly enjoyed in the past. However, listening to it reveals the greatness of Garth. Pretty much the whole album sounds the same (which is not always how his earlier stuff was). Just like Luke Bryan, Florida Georgia Line, etc. Each one of Garth's songs takes on a life of its own. So the more radio snubs the G-man, the more they are missing out on truly good stuff. Hopefully a grass roots loyal following will cause the industry that is paid off by record labels notice good music.

gbkubfan
03-02-2015, 11:27 AM
I posted this link on another thread but it fits in this discussion also:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6487521/country-music-commercial-radio-brandy-clark

callmefrenchie
03-02-2015, 07:49 PM
I hope She's Tired of Boys makes it as a single. I think it's relevant to radio and would do well. I also really like Wrong About You