PDA

View Full Version : Timing

Scarecrow
01-06-2015, 05:01 PM
I think garth should have waited til mother's day to release mom. It should be a # 1 hit

Mr_Sevens
01-07-2015, 03:57 AM
I think garth should have waited til mother's day to release mom. It should be a # 1 hit

He still would have to release a good several, several weeks in advance for it to peak in time for Mother's Day.

As much as some people really care about the song, it's not stellar. Seeing the reaction to it and it's performance, I don't expect it'll peak higher than People Loving People did.

I'd love to be wrong.

CBooUF
01-07-2015, 09:45 AM
The studio version sucks all of the emotion out of the song. It was over produced IMO. Let the song live with just an acoustic guitar.

Skywise
01-07-2015, 09:57 AM
He still would have to release a good several, several weeks in advance for it to peak in time for Mother's Day.

As much as some people really care about the song, it's not stellar. Seeing the reaction to it and it's performance, I don't expect it'll peak higher than People Loving People did.

I'd love to be wrong.

Yeah, as much as the song's awesome, and meaningful... it's not showing as stellar to me either- on kygo (local best radio station in denver)... Garth played once in last 6 hours- The River.. not MOM... on the other station in town (that's decent).... (925 the wolf) MOM was played , at 345 am... same 7 hour time frame (from midnight till now... ).... luke bryan played 6 times- 3 songs, each repeated... lady antebellum- 5 times.. tim mcgraw- 3 times....

just a sampling-

but then again- their concert calendar does advertise Garth... (and Taylor swift, who's turned away from country.. oh well..)

garthcop
01-07-2015, 10:04 AM
The rate we are going, in might be number 1 by Mother's Day!

GBFanGirl
01-07-2015, 03:58 PM
Yeah, as much as the song's awesome, and meaningful... it's not showing as stellar to me either- on kygo (local best radio station in denver)... Garth played once in last 6 hours- The River.. not MOM... on the other station in town (that's decent).... (925 the wolf) MOM was played , at 345 am... same 7 hour time frame (from midnight till now... ).... luke bryan played 6 times- 3 songs, each repeated... lady antebellum- 5 times.. tim mcgraw- 3 times....

just a sampling-

but then again- their concert calendar does advertise Garth... (and Taylor swift, who's turned away from country.. oh well..)

Ha! Luke Bryan 6 times! That's why I don't listen to country radio anymore. I don't know if that's just how it is here in Denver or if it's like that everywhere, but it drives me crazy.

Mr_Sevens
01-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Ha! Luke Bryan 6 times! That's why I don't listen to country radio anymore. I don't know if that's just how it is here in Denver or if it's like that everywhere, but it drives me crazy.

Haha, well in their defense Garth was overplayed at times during his heyday too. It's just the nature of the beast.

Skywise
01-07-2015, 05:27 PM
garth overplayed? Ehh maybe, but not nearly to the same level IMO....

YouSoundBitter
01-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Yeah, 90's radio was much better of a variety of songs, new and old, along with artist...I miss the 90s!

Mr_Sevens
01-07-2015, 09:26 PM
Ehhhh, that's not how I remember it. I remember 90s radio being pretty well dominated by the New Country of the time period. Artists from the 70s were rarely, if ever played. That would be the equivalent of a 90s artist having their old songs played today.

wimpy77
01-08-2015, 12:21 AM
Early 90's there were still some of the old stuff played, by the mid to late 90's it was like Sevens mentioned.

garth_fan_13
01-08-2015, 10:34 AM

Same situation here in Tampa. It gets on my nerves as well. They recycle the same 5 or 6 people, same songs. Mostly Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia Line :( Yuck. We have two stations here. One plays bro-country religiously, hearing G would be a surprise. The other plays a good mix of songs. I think I've only heard G once but I don't listen often.

Carrie Underwood barely gets played too. Even the same case with Brad Paisley - both who I believe are popular and are actually of quality. Sad. Radio today frustrates me! Garth should start his own iHeartRadio station! Lol

Emerald Isle
01-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Same situation here in Tampa. It gets on my nerves as well. They recycle the same 5 or 6 people, same songs. Mostly Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia Line :( Yuck. We have two stations here. One plays bro-country religiously, hearing G would be a surprise. The other plays a good mix of songs. I think I've only heard G once but I don't listen often.

Carrie Underwood barely gets played too. Even the same case with Brad Paisley - both who I believe are popular and are actually of quality. Sad. Radio today frustrates me! Garth should start his own iHeartRadio station! Lol

My dad used to say the same thing in the 90's, only he was complaining that the stations played too much Clint Black, Alan Jackson, Brooks & Dunn, Reba, Dwight Yoakam, and Garth Brooks. It's all relative.

Charles
01-08-2015, 02:47 PM
I'm really enjoying the Nash Icon station here....they play alot of 80s , 90s, early 2000s and today mixed together..even some from the 60s and 70s.

I heard People Loving People on it yesterday back to back with an Old Alabama song and Reba's brand new single.

The thing about today as compared to even the 90s, there are so many ways to listen to the "radio".... you can listen to your local stations, then there are some syndicated stations, then if you want you can even hear radio stations from across the country on the internet.

cissie
01-12-2015, 01:38 AM
it might help MOM do better if garth would actually play the entire song instead of cutting out the middle of the song every time he plays it live. it's a beautiful song with a beautiful meaning and if the people could hear the entire song, live, it might help it do better.

Mr_Sevens
01-12-2015, 01:46 AM
it might help MOM do better if garth would actually play the entire song instead of cutting out the middle of the song every time he plays it live. it's a beautiful song with a beautiful meaning and if the people could hear the entire song, live, it might help it do better.

While I'd love to hear him perform the full song live, I don't think that one verse will make a difference to its radio play.

onair
01-13-2015, 01:53 PM

On a totally unrelated side note...
It will be interesting to see what changes happen @ KY now that Lincoln Financial sold off the Denver cluster to Entercom Communications. The Wolf has been in a constant state of change since last Feb, when they fired the PD and promoted from within and with in 6 months the MD left, and the morning guy was let go.

Gotta LOVE radio...not sure why I miss it so much.

Skywise
01-13-2015, 02:00 PM
I kinda stopped listening to a lot of country radio in Denver partially due to the music itself, (the bro country type of junk, the current crop of talent etc). But also stopped listening to a lot of Kygo specifically, when Kelly ford (LONGTIME morning person and nice lady too, have met her w a few times...) left and went to nyc (she's a solo midday radio personality. There now)

onair
01-13-2015, 06:49 PM
Kelly was good. That old crew they had Kelly, Jonathan and Mudflap did really well. She was poised to make the jump from KY to the Wolf, and KY had a last right of refusal clause and exercised it after the waiting period. When KY blocked her from the Wolf, she took the gig out in NYC.

Skywise
01-13-2015, 09:52 PM
Kelly was good. That old crew they had Kelly, Jonathan and Mudflap did really well. She was poised to make the jump from KY to the Wolf, and KY had a last right of refusal clause and exercised it after the waiting period. When KY blocked her from the Wolf, she took the gig out in NYC.

that much I didn't know (that she was making the jump there... or could have).. I remember way back in the day (when I first started listening to country) that it was Kelly, Sandy (an old guy) and someone else- then Jonathan came in...

sad to see her leave- she was awesome.... the country radio scene here is dreadful now

BLL
01-13-2015, 11:35 PM
I live too close to downtown so I can't get radio clearly in my house; since I take care of my grandson and retired in November I'm rarely in my car. I guess that's a good thing! When I do drive my car my Garth cassettes are always in the slot; little boy is a fan :)