PDA

View Full Version : Is Garth the country version of the band U2?

garthcop
12-25-2014, 07:09 PM
It seems these two have a lot in common:
-Big album sales
-Longevity
-Awesome (and always sold out) concerts
-Lyrics that go beyond just entertainment purposes but promote the advancement of humanity
-Charities and causes they will not back down for
-A loyal, cult like following
-Inventive ways to distribute their music
-Not a lot of air time or promotion on the radio except for their hits from the past from time to time
-Not really being appreciated by the younger generation unless someone in the generation is related to a loyal fan of theirs

The thing that keeps them big is their loyal fan base. Not the industry.

Skywise
12-28-2014, 12:39 PM
hmm- interesting... two things...

garth not being appreciated by the younger generation, etc.. accor. to your list is his own fault.. His decisions of 14 years ago, right or wrong, good or bad, led to that fact....

#2-

maybe U2 is the Rock/pop version of the artist Garth Brooks? :) (hey had to turn it around)

Mr_Sevens
12-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I think those descriptions to various bands. It doesn't necessarily have to be U2.

YouSoundBitter
12-28-2014, 02:27 PM
I was in Lexington, saw a ton of teens/younger fans in the audience.

garthcop
12-28-2014, 09:21 PM
I am glad to hear that. I teach high school kids and not many of them are aware of his contributions to country music.

Mr_Sevens
12-28-2014, 09:50 PM
Garth has often commented on this tour that a very large portion of tickets were sold to those 25 and under.

Emerald Isle
12-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Garth has often commented on this tour that a very large portion of tickets were sold to those 25 and under.

It's also possible that much of that is parents having their kids buy the tickets for them.

YouSoundBitter
12-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Pretty sure GB was commenting on what he is seeing from the stage, not looking thru webcams and see who is doing the buying process! LOL

RandyZie
12-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Believe he stated that ticket master guys said large portion of buyers were younger, which doesn't require a webcam to see. But yes he has also mentioned many multiple times he's seeing more young people then he expected.

garthcop
12-30-2014, 12:11 AM
I have no doubt that the cities he has toured in have a good turn out of young people since they are the ones who mostly go to concerts and I am sure they have heard of how good a show Garth puts on from their parents and you can bet that the radio stations are talking up his shows even if they aren't playing his new music. But when it comes to the average young person who may listen to the radio or Itunes, Garth is not appreciated by them compared to a Luke Bryan or Jason Aldean or even a Kelly Clarkson or Taylor Swift. I did have one student who saw Garth perform Mom on GMA because her mom was watching it and fell in love with his performance. But that might be part of the problem. He is not doing the type of tv appearances that young people watch so he is not on their radar. Maybe if he did guest appearances on things like The Voice or American Idol it would help change things because then he would be seen and appreciated by this generation more. If he can get an awesome number 1 song out there that the radio stations cannot resist to play things would change a little more. For as good as this album is, I don't think it is on it. Which is okay because it has satisfied those of us who have been waiting. Maybe after a year on the road and rubbing elbows with more of the mainstream culture and concert goers that he hasn't been around in 13 years he will produce that type of hit on next year's album that will launch him back to where we know he belongs. He just has to knock some of the rust off and he has a good enough resume that gives him time to do that. I mean, it has to be kind of hard (and courageous) to go into the studio and start producing new music you hope people will like when you haven't had to bust your butt the last few years trying your new music out on the road while trying to get a record deal to see how it is received. But I bet he has some of that song testing and 21st century audience understanding already under his belt by now. Not that he doesn't know an audience. I would think there are trends and things he can pick up on in relation to this young generation. Especially if a lot of them are going to his concerts.

Skywise
12-30-2014, 02:46 AM
But when it comes to the average young person who may listen to the radio or Itunes, Garth is not appreciated by them compared to a Luke Bryan or Jason Aldean or even a Kelly Clarkson or Taylor Swift. that is very true, and it's honestly, Garth's own fault..

I did have one student who saw Garth perform Mom on GMA because her mom was watching it and fell in love with his performance. I actually had a student (7th grade) ask me who Garth was when I brought in my MAM album after I bought it on 'release' day

But that might be part of the problem. He is not doing the type of tv appearances that young people watch so he is not on their radar. Maybe if he did guest appearances on things like The Voice or American Idol it would help change things because then he would be seen and appreciated by this generation more. that's an interesting idea, but if Garth has ever been anything, it's one who goes to his own way of doing things- that is- he'll stick to how he did things in the 90s apparently, even if the main demographic he SHOULD be enticing isn't following that...

If he can get an awesome number 1 song out there that the radio stations cannot resist to play things would change a little more def agree there- so far I've heard really little Garth on the radio recently

. For as good as this album is, I don't think it is on it. Which is okay because it has satisfied those of us who have been waiting. Maybe after a year on the road and rubbing elbows with more of the mainstream culture and concert goers that he hasn't been around in 13 years he will produce that type of hit on next year's album that will launch him back to where we know he belongs. He just has to knock some of the rust off and he has a good enough resume that gives him time to do that. don't want to say wishful thinking- I think I'm in the "I hope you're right there" camp myself...

I would think there are trends and things he can pick up on in relation to this young generation. Especially if a lot of them are going to his concerts.
There are def. things he could pick up trends wise, etc.. digital music is a great example- Garth has 'picked up ' on it some- he's doing it, but trying to force the music industry in a way to do things HIS way.. it's not gonna work really... IMO (but that's another thread topic...)

garthcop
12-31-2014, 01:43 PM
But hey. Maybe Garth isn't concerned with the younger generation that much. As long as he is able to do what he loves most which is performing in front of big live crowds which he is having no problem attracting, then he doesn't need to use extra energy and time on the things that take away what he is best at.

Garthmedic
12-31-2014, 06:03 PM
But hey. Maybe Garth isn't concerned with the younger generation that much. As long as he is able to do what he loves most which is performing in front of big live crowds which he is having no problem attracting, then he doesn't need to use extra energy and time on the things that take away what he is best at.

I am thinking the same thing. He has a huge audience (the millions of us of us who grabbed onto his music in the 90's). Does he really want to try and compete against today's big artists? Is there a need to compete? Why compete if you don't have to?

YouSoundBitter
12-31-2014, 08:24 PM
Believe he stated that ticket master guys said large portion of buyers were younger, which doesn't require a webcam to see. But yes he has also mentioned many multiple times he's seeing more young people then he expected.

Which was the sarcasm part in my comment :P Obliviously