PDA

View Full Version : Garth email

cissie
11-25-2014, 02:26 PM
got his email from garth a few minutes ago and this is what it said

"We landed in NY last night to the news of the civil unrest that was going on in our nation. To spend the day promoting our stuff like nothing was wrong, seemed distasteful to me. I will gladly reschedule any or all appearances the networks will allow.

Love one another...g"

gbroadtrip
11-25-2014, 02:34 PM
I myself would prefer seeing an artist, actor, etc perform or otherwise try and entertain... to heal.. to show that we are stronger then what is happening right now. Too much of what I see on the evening news just gets me down. It's like the whole world is just falling apart sometimes.

Shannon

Hanslow
11-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Good on him doing what is right.

People Loving People took on a whole new meaning for me last night...

Charles
11-25-2014, 02:46 PM
I'll just say this and keep it as this..... it's just People Loving People.
What a great statement I needed to hear today..

Mr_Sevens
11-25-2014, 03:15 PM
Very classy move from Garth. I'm sure this means his Tonight Show appearance is off as well. I bet they were taping today instead of on Thanksgiving

AHBAMember
11-25-2014, 04:03 PM
I assume he's referring to Ferguson?

I'm torn about his statement: on the one hand, it IS classy of him to say, in effect, there are more important things going on in the world than me promoting myself. On the other hand, my first reaction was closer to Charles' and gbroadtrip's: this is a time when we need entertainers like him, but more even than entertainers, messages like "We Shall Be Free," and "People Loving People." And maybe he would contribute something to the healing process through the messages he sends out during his performances? And a little more cynically, there are always bad things going on in the world at the same time as any major musical event.

Brett Dale
11-25-2014, 04:59 PM
First, thoughts with the people of Ferguson with whats going on. Garth is genuine in whats he done. I agree with AHBAMember, Garth is the type of artist the music
worlds needs right now.

Am I right in saying, it would seem these protests will continue for a while, it will be an on going thing, but from what we have had in our news, its nothing like the
LA riots from way back. Buildings have been burnt, a Lot of looting, but no deaths or serious injuries?

I dont see how going on The tonight show is distasteful?

But I 100% support Garth with his decision.

Brett Dale
11-25-2014, 05:00 PM
Oh Does that also mean pre recorded segments he has taped will now be pulled?

gbroadtrip
11-25-2014, 05:08 PM
If I recall the LA riots were right as they were leaving LA and the ACM Awards... I think it was when We Shall Be Free was written with Stephanie Davis and witnessing the fires in LA first hand. I'm sure this all hits close to home for him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Shall_Be_Free

GBJR77
11-25-2014, 05:08 PM
someone commented to me that it was 'disingenuine' to do this, and seemed 'opportunistic'. I can see that view, but, he did the same thing when Scarecrow was released, pulling "Beer Run" as the single and opting for "Wrapped Up in You" instead for much the same reason. I just think it is who he is, and am not surprised at all by it. I do think that showing up on the Tonight Show, where the unrest could be at least commented on with a performance of PLP, would be seen more as a healing gesture than the self-promoting he appears to be worried it will come across as.

Brett Dale
11-25-2014, 05:15 PM
There is no way its disingenuine or opportunistic. He has nothing to gain by doing this.
I agree singing "People Loving People on the tonight show would be healing.

Gbfanoh
11-25-2014, 06:04 PM
In case anyone has missed it, Garth has canceled the Tonight show on Thursday and the Today show on Friday

Adam Fountain
11-25-2014, 06:35 PM
What this comes down to is that we all should follow our own conscience. If Garth doesn't feel right about promoting himself and his music in the wake of recent events then I'm all for him canceling. This is a situation where only one persons opinion on the subject matters. Garth's.

kcflyer
11-25-2014, 09:41 PM
I agree with AHBAMember completely. Let us not forget that St. Louis is his next tour stop in just over a week now. Th Scottrade Center is a mere 12 miles from Ferguson.

BLL
11-25-2014, 11:33 PM
The shows he canceled were all scheduled to tape today/tomorrow; makes sense.

jturtels
11-26-2014, 12:09 AM
Eh, I think he should have went on as planned. Would have been a good opportunity to acknowledge the situation and offer some healing...maybe acoustic versions of PLP and WSBF.

Brett Dale
11-26-2014, 12:39 AM
Glad to see people who arent Garth fans, can see how genuine he is. This is from a American Political board.

He has done the right thing, IMHO.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10025871302

coco1997
11-26-2014, 09:45 PM
A website called the Democratic Underground is bound to be biased about the whole situation, just as if the same article had been posted at the Drudge Report, etc.

I respect Garth's decision. Having said that, it's a strange rationale. The world (specifically the U.S.) doesn't revolve the Fergusion ruling. And considering how many "protest" anthems he has--and the fact that he's pushing one of them right now as the lead single for the new album--I think performing one of those songs would send a stronger message than canceling entirely.

Mr_Sevens
11-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Lot's of people attacking Garth through posts on his Facebook page over this.

To separate him from the issue altogether, it makes me so deeply sad to see such a large amount of uninformed individuals behaving so poorly. On the streets, on the internet, everywhere.

No one thinks anymore.

RandyZie
11-26-2014, 10:10 PM
Garth knew he would get a reaction from canceling, he's not naive. If he didn't want any reaction then the best solution was to not say anything and do the appearances, ANYTHING mentioning the trial or protests (pro or con) will gather anger from someone. Have to agree with with every word coco1997 said. I respect what he did, think him performing PLP would have been more powerful.

garth_fan_13
11-27-2014, 11:57 AM
I agree with most people on here - it would have been smart to not cancel. PLP and WSBF would have sent a better message than saying "I'm not performing". Though it is a moral issue with GB, it can easily be seen as a political move. I support his decision but he's taking a stance that polarizes many. Yes, we should love one another but the masses who are greatly involved in this story are ignoring that simple fact. Hence, the angry posts on social media. For promotion alone, it's not the greatest move. This week of promotion, or lack thereof, would have made a huge impact for the future of MAM. To second coco1997, the wold doesn't revolve around this ruling. Why G (as a musician) made this a bigger issue than it really is baffles me.

AHBAMember
11-28-2014, 04:55 PM
A website called the Democratic Underground is bound to be biased about the whole situation, just as if the same article had been posted at the Drudge Report, etc.

I respect Garth's decision. Having said that, it's a strange rationale. The world (specifically the U.S.) doesn't revolve the Fergusion ruling. And considering how many "protest" anthems he has--and the fact that he's pushing one of them right now as the lead single for the new album--I think performing one of those songs would send a stronger message than canceling entirely.

This was pretty much what I was trying to say before.