PDA

View Full Version : Garth Brooks & Taylor Swift: A Study in Country Contrasts

CBooUF
11-21-2014, 04:33 PM
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-615/6327233/garth-brooks-taylor-swift-a-study-in-country-contrasts

Mr_Sevens
11-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Great read! They have a lot more similarities than I think people want to admit.

SweetGBFan
11-22-2014, 05:38 AM
Only country contrast for me is Garth is country and Taylor isn't, never was!

Mr_Sevens
11-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Interesting how many, many people said the very same thing about Garth around the same time in his career.

Skywise
11-22-2014, 12:52 PM
ya know Im' not one to overly gush on garth at times- but I gotta agree sevens- peeps said the same type of stuff about him in 1989...

gotta disagree sweetgb.... taylor was country- pop 'edged' country, but country.. a decent artist- IMO

Garthmedic
11-22-2014, 12:56 PM
I think she is talented, but one of her first, biggest hits was "Love story". I like the song, but I always had a hard time calling it country.

Skywise
11-22-2014, 01:10 PM
she's had a few good songs- def talented... decent artist- def geared to the younger peeps- can see her (to an extent) as someone young girls can look up to who's not the brittney/christina/ariana type of pop diva... (at least at the moment..)

me? I'll always remember the 2008 (I think it ws) performance of should've said no on the awards show... (acm? cma?) the album version with the country/banjo type of intro... love that too..

tim mcgraw- ok song, can't stand him though..

still gotta listen to 1989 though

SweetGBFan
11-22-2014, 05:09 PM
Well I will never change my mind about her. She is a very mediocre singer and I will give her she can write songs, possibly not really good ones, but I still stand by my statement she is not and never was a country singer.

Mr_Sevens
11-22-2014, 05:16 PM
"Should've Said No" is a great song. I remember that performance! It was pretty good. I do think she's very talented. Very capable of making some solid country music too. It's her songwriting that sells it for me.

Those early albums have some nice acoustic sounds in them. 1989 is pure pop, but many of them songs are some of the most well-written pop songs currently available.

Again, a lot of people swear up and down that Garth isn't and never was country. I used to work with someone who couldn't stand him. Said he's nothing but rock nonsense.

I disagree, of course. Garth certainly has a rock element, but he's undeniably country to me.

garth_fan_13
11-22-2014, 07:33 PM
If you listen to Taylor's first album, it's definitely country. Put it up against anything you hear on the radio today and her self-titled sounds as country as country can get! I never understood people who said she wasn't country. Yes, the pop influence was definitely there but (sorry if this offends anyone...) it was 10x better than any of the terrible stuff that played alongside her on country radio. Florida Georgia Line? Jason Aldean? Luke Bryan? (at least their most recent stuff) - not country at all. Especially now.

1989 is 100% pop and she's declared it as such - the "she's not country" argument is no longer valid. As to her songwriting, it's better than most in country and 100x better than what plays on pop stations. It's clean, appropriate and eloquently written. Her last two albums have shown depth where her first two definitely showed her age. Between Red's "All Too Well" and 1989's "You Are in Love" (among a few others), her lyrics are as deep and thoughtful as you can get. Her voice is no Carrie Underwood, but her personality is pure Garth. I do think they have a lot in common, more than some would give her credit for. They both are geniuses when it comes to their music and how they want it produced (if they don't end up doing it themselves... at least I know Taylor does to some extent, not 100% sure with GB). Everything they do is of quality and both are doing it for the enjoyment of the fans.

One thing I feel Taylor does better than Garth, though, is promotion. She definitely knows how to use social media to her advantage.

Taylor helped start my love-affair with country so I will always defend her. She led me to GB as well... :)