PDA

View Full Version : BillBoard top 200 album charts will now include streams

Brett Dale
11-19-2014, 08:04 PM
"IMHO , this is the end of Garth ever having another number one album on the BillBoard Top 200 Charts."

FROM THE NEW YORK TIMES.

Now Billboard and Nielsen SoundScan, the agency that supplies its data, will start adding streams and downloads of tracks to the formula behind the Billboard 200, which, since 1956 has functioned as the music world’s weekly scorecard. It is the biggest change since 1991, when the magazine began using hard sales data from SoundScan, a revolutionary change in a music industry that had long based its charts on highly fudgeable surveys of record stores.

SoundScan and Billboard will count 1,500 song streams from services like Spotify, Beats Music, Rdio, Rhapsody and Google Play as equivalent to an album sale. For the first time, they will also count “track equivalent albums” — a common industry yardstick of 10 downloads of individual tracks — as part of the formula for album rankings on the Billboard 200.

The change may hurt artists whose albums are not on streaming services, or are mostly consumed through sales. Barbra Streisand’s “Partners,” for example, opened at No. 1 in September, and on last week’s chart it was still at No. 7, with 28,000 sales. But under Billboard’s new chart rules, it would have fallen to No. 13.

For full item, click on the new york times link.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/20/business/media/billboard-changing-the-charts-will-count-streaming-services-.html?src=twr&_r=1

Mr_Sevens
11-19-2014, 08:23 PM
As for Garth, for the billionth time, I don't think he or anyone in his camp really cares. He doesn't want to be part of this machine anymore. I think that's been made pretty clear.

For music in general, this is a horrible, horrible decision by Billboard. Counting something not sold as an album sale is beyond stupid.

Simply saying, "eh, 10 songs, that counts as an album," is even stupider.

In Garth's press conference in Greensboro today he stated several times that the music industry is dying. This is just more writing on the wall.

BLL
11-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Wow, this is sad; technology is truly killing the creative process by removing any value. WTG Billboard for sanctioning piracy.

Brett Dale
11-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Garth should release the song "Man Against Machine" as a single, that song gets more and more important as time goes by.

wimpy77
11-19-2014, 09:10 PM
As for Garth, for the billionth time, I don't think he or anyone in his camp really cares. He doesn't want to be part of this machine anymore. I think that's been made pretty clear.

For music in general, this is a horrible, horrible decision by Billboard. Counting something not sold as an album sale is beyond stupid.

Simply saying, "eh, 10 songs, that counts as an album," is even stupider.

In Garth's press conference in Greensboro today he stated several times that the music industry is dying. This is just more writing on the wall.

Agree with everything you just said.

Garthmedic
11-19-2014, 10:16 PM
I have to agree. It seems some people feel that his numbers are more important than his music.

Brett Dale
11-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Believe it or not, I actually dont. The part of it, I dont like, is that the media
will make it a issue.

Again I was so so please with his new album, give it 4.5 stars out of five myself.

He did himself and country music proud.

wimpy77
11-19-2014, 11:02 PM
Believe it or not, I actually dont. The part of it, I dont like, is that the media
will make it a issue.

Again I was so so please with his new album, give it 4.5 stars out of five myself.

He did himself and country music proud.

I just did a google. I read nothing bad his album sales at all. You're worrying for nothing.

Mr_Sevens
11-19-2014, 11:17 PM
I just did a google. I read nothing bad his album sales at all. You're worrying for nothing.

Yep. Not many seem to be making much a stink at all about it.