PDA

View Full Version : Garth Brooks: "YouTube is the Devil"

Brett Dale
11-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Garth's comment on youtube, has appeared on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEaM3f8nGy4

Garthmedic
11-17-2014, 08:25 PM
I guess that answers that :)

Mr_Sevens
11-17-2014, 08:27 PM
He is 100% correct. I'm glad other artists are beginning to follow. Too bad Taylor Swift is getting the credit for starting the movement :p

Brett Dale
11-17-2014, 08:28 PM
I guess that answers that :)

hahaha thats where my mind went too!

CBooUF
11-18-2014, 03:09 PM
I find it a bit ironic that YouTube was actually the vehicle that gave him the most exposure during album release week when the video posted of his great moment in MINN went viral. Without YouTube, that would probably not have happened.

Emerald Isle
11-18-2014, 04:10 PM
I find it a bit ironic that YouTube was actually the vehicle that gave him the most exposure during album release week when the video posted of his great moment in MINN went viral. Without YouTube, that would probably not have happened.

The GMA performance of Mom too. I really hope those two videos helps him see what a benefit YouTube can be.

Lowland_Kid
11-18-2014, 04:11 PM
Exactly.

gbroadtrip
11-18-2014, 04:53 PM
I personally think YouTube can be good to help a struggling artist get seen AND heard. You think you can still get a record deal by walking around your demo tape???

A lot has changed in the music industry over the last decade (not all good) and a lot of really good talent drops between the cracks.

Everyone is chasing that next big record or that hot new sound... again not all good.

Sometimes I WISH some of what came outta YouTube had stayed there, but hey who am I to say what's good for the guy or gal next door. THEY may hate the guitar and steel slide they hear from my windows too.

Some artists PUT stuff up in the hopes that it goes viral and makes someone say, WOW I need me some more of that... so I can see how YouTube CAN be a useful marketing tool for those artists not already established.

Piano Guys is one example of an artists/group music I would have NEVER bought had I not see the music video first.

Speaking of music videos. How many actually tune into CMT or GAC and ACTUALLY watch videos? DO they even still air music videos like "back in the day" when VH1/MTV/CMT were actually house hold names???

How many albums did Garth sell because of the controversy surrounding Thunder Rolls??? He invented VIRAL videos TOO?!?!?!

HOW many times do we actually GO out in search of that new release these days?
Anyone notice the music area of the mega-mart getting smaller and smaller?
- Most of mine seems to be movies and games now. Even movie sales seem to be hurting with instant gratification of Netflix/Amazon Prime etc streaming services.
- How many bookstores are surviving???

If we really think about our music purchasing in the last decade has it been growing more impulsive? Buying what speaks to you RIGHT now?
- How much of that is being driven by the 99-cent impulse buys on iTunes? Does this dilute the music? The artists? Songwriters?
- Isn't this EXACTLY how music influenced us most? When I think back I see my "life's playlist" with individual songs not artists
** OK OK so mines mostly Garth but in last few years it has included all sorts of music from Micheal Buble to Adele and NOT much so-called "country" music these days.

There was a time when Garth was VERY against used album/CD sales as he said that the songwriters/artists didn't get a cut of that sale and were harmed because of it. Ford or Toyota doesn't get a cut when a used car is sold... why should music be any different? Now if the stance has been people are stealing music by copying the CD and then selling it... that's a whole other issue.

I'm just glad to see him being more open to social media lately.

Please forgive the rant. I am a lover of technology and find how we adapt technology into our lives a basic fundamental of WHO we are.... in humanity.

Shannon

wimpy77
11-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Apparently you're unaware how on royalties work.

Mr_Sevens
11-18-2014, 05:00 PM
I think Garth made it pretty clear (to me anyway) in that interview that it's not the idea of YouTube he has a problem. It's the giant middle finger they give to the artists when they don't compensate them fairly.

He UNDERSTANDS what YouTube is, guys. He doesn't agree with their business practices. A lot of artists don't. He's actually not the odd man out this time.

gbroadtrip
11-18-2014, 05:06 PM
Apparently you're unaware how on royalties work.

I understand that as fast as the technology is evolving the law is not keeping up and we often end up with a "unjust" situations. From red light cameras to anyone fast forwarding their DVR's through commercials.

wimpy77
11-18-2014, 05:14 PM
I understand that as fast as the technology is evolving the law is not keeping up and we often end up with a "unjust" situations. From red light cameras to anyone fast forwarding their DVR's through commercials.

I believe artists and songwriters should be paid for their work. The form of technology shouldn't matter. It's THEIR work they should be paid fairly and they should have a right what happens to their work.

gbroadtrip
11-18-2014, 05:51 PM
I believe artists and songwriters should be paid for their work. The form of technology shouldn't matter. It's THEIR work they should be paid fairly and they should have a right what happens to their work.

NEVER said they shouldn't be. NEVER said that I didn't agree with the comments in the piece that the artist/songwriter should be able opt out and have their music or likeness removed either.

As I said.. SOME artists THEMSELVES post music/art in order to further their careers through that medium.
An established artists doesn't need this particular medium but should also have the ability to have content removed.

THIS same issue is present and WILL be present in any medium where the content is actually created and uploaded by the users.

Please forgive me for not being explicit in my analogies ... the medium (video - see me reference to CMT/GAC/VH1/MTV) isn't the problem isn't the business practices in this particular case.

In fact during MOST concerts and live performances video recording is explicitly prohibited. If your referring to "videos" featuring full length albums of artists that exist on YouTube then YES that is ABSOLUTELY sealing and WRONG.

My "editorial" was meant as one over technology and not one of right or wrong business ethics in play here.

Shannon

Adam Fountain
11-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Isn't youtube starting a subscription service soon? I wonder if that will help ease tensions.

SteveStrick
11-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Maybe YouTube is the devil, but I just saw one of my friends share the Minneapolis cancer patient video off YouTube, with the comment “I may not be the biggest country fan, but I'm a Garth Brooks fan now”. That's the good side of YouTube in a nutshell

parlevoo
11-21-2014, 01:20 AM
YouTube is the devil... if YouTube didnt exist we could have all been saved from Justin Bieber being discovered... and the world would be a better place!!

wimpy77
11-21-2014, 01:42 AM
Isn't youtube starting a subscription service soon? I wonder if that will help ease tensions.

They are but not all artists are happy about it. From what I've read their royal rates aren't any better than Spotify.