PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Planetgarth changes. Input?

Garthmedic
11-14-2014, 11:11 PM
We are looking at both minor and major changes at Planetgarth. Some things may disappear, somethings may get upgraded, and others may be moved/ integrated to social media platforms.

What kind of changes would you like to see?

Somethings being considered:

+ Upgrading forum software to latest version to fix bugs (like registrations).

+ Adding a mobile platform.

+ Allow posting of pictures.

+ Archiving old news stories, album listings, etc..

What else can we do to improve Planetgarth?

Let us know :)

Mr_Sevens
11-15-2014, 12:00 AM
I agree with everything currently being considered on that list. The sooner the better!

I'm not entirely sure if we're referring strictly to the forum or if the full site is included. Obviously it could use an overhaul :)

If the forum is all we're talking about...those ideas are all great.

TheAlpadacas
11-15-2014, 12:37 AM
A mobile platform would be WONDERFUL. Loading the full version of the site on my iPhone is a bit cumbersome.

Emerald Isle
11-15-2014, 12:52 AM
The increase in PM's has been great. As for the site, an updated song and album database with lyrics is an obvious need.

gbfansince3
11-15-2014, 01:51 AM
Picture posting ability would be great here on the forum. Thinking about the site as a whole, if somebody could become a "Chief News Editor" of PlanetGarth, that would be fantastic. I'm obviously unsure of what the article database keeping was like in the 90's, but the homepage hasn't been updated since earlier in the 2010s. It would be great for PG to become the news hub again as well as the discussion hub.

Hanslow
11-15-2014, 04:14 AM
Mobile and pics would be AMAZING

Lowland_Kid
11-15-2014, 06:49 AM
That sounds great! No other suggestions from me.

Skywise
11-15-2014, 11:14 AM
First off, lemme say i'm glad to hear that there are changes / updates being considered, that's a very positive thing...

if I may (:) ) here's my thoughts

Looking at Planetgarth changes. Input?
What kind of changes would you like to see?

Somethings being considered:

+ Upgrading forum software to latest version to fix bugs (like registrations).
DEFINITELY.. this is sorely needed.. would it update the 'look' of the board at all, or would it bring back the option (if it's not here anymore) to change the look like we used to be able to do

+ Adding a mobile platform. a Mobile site would be great- I love the full site, but it CAN be a bit clunky on my ipad/iphone

+ Allow posting of pictures. within reason (the 800x600 size limit at other sites that I've seen/used seems to work) this can be a great thing too..

+ Archiving old news stories, album listings, etc.. if there's a way to make a searchable archive/database of the 'past' of Pg, yeah- great idea- new song lyrics database, perhaps a repository of chords (you can cull them from country tabs.com or other tab sites) for playing the guitar if people want...

maybe a more 'focused' area for those who want to talk about garth merchandise they have (not an open trading of bootlegs, unofficial cd's, live tapes, etc.. ) (though that would be nice.. stuff like that's best left off the board directly...) or would want..

perhaps a section of links to other garth sties as well (not that you're advertising going to other sites, just things to think about....

adding perhaps a pg instagram page... people could share their own photos of Garth events new and old (I know there was a section on the board for old photos at one point..)

those are just a few ideas- looking forward to things though.. lemme know, I'll help as I can with what I can

Garthmedic
11-16-2014, 10:31 PM
Take a look at this forum on your mobile browser and tell me what you think. Obvioulsy, you won't be able to post there, but it may give you and idea on what the forum software mobile package looks like.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/

Skywise
11-16-2014, 10:43 PM
it's not too bad- at least on my iPad...

on my iPhone, it looks nice too, when in landscape mode- it's a little 'vertical' in portrait mode.. but it's def. clean...

MuchTooYoung
11-17-2014, 01:04 AM
Great starting points! My only personal request is that I'd like to be able to edit my forum posts. Sometimes I catch an error too late, and it irks me. Beyond that, I dunno if there's any way to incorporate the tour map I've got going on Google Maps or not, but that might be a fun thing to feature somehow on the site. (Doesn't have to be my file, obviously, but I do think it's a neat way to track the tour!)

Munchkin1616
11-17-2014, 02:16 AM
Sending you a pm! :)

Garthmedic
11-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Great starting points! My only personal request is that I'd like to be able to edit my forum posts. Sometimes I catch an error too late, and it irks me. Beyond that, I dunno if there's any way to incorporate the tour map I've got going on Google Maps or not, but that might be a fun thing to feature somehow on the site. (Doesn't have to be my file, obviously, but I do think it's a neat way to track the tour!)

Check your Private messages. I sent you a message about that very thing yesterday :)

MuchTooYoung
11-17-2014, 02:26 PM
Check your Private messages. I sent you a message about that very thing yesterday :)

Huh. I wasn't notified about the PM until after I commented here. Weird.