PDA

View Full Version : I met Garth tonight!

GarthFanIU
02-04-2012, 12:11 AM
At the SuperPro Camp in Indy! Details and pics tomorrow. :)

Jody

Paula
02-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Awesome! Can't wait to hear about it and see the pics. How were you able to get access to the camp?

Paula

BLL
02-04-2012, 11:11 AM
There are some photos on Twitter- Garth is super slender. I guess his girls telling him they wanted him healthy on his 50th took root!

menderle
02-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Great that you got to meet him!!

GarthFanIU
02-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Sorry for the delay. I ended up having to go to work. I've turned this post into a short novel, so I'll post it in 2 parts. The first part is the "before Garth" details, feel free to skip it. :)
Just to give a little background, our little Garth-adventure group consisted of me, my 66 year old mother, my sister, and 3 nephews (ages 15, 17, and 18). Us girls have been GarthNutts forever, but the boys are new to it. :) They got to go the Nashville shows last year and now they are hooked! The oldest one, Zach, is learning to play guitar and last month he bought every Garth album because he wanted to hear the songs that "aren't on the radio." I'm teaching him well!
About the camp: They didn't sell passes to the event and the spots for the campers were allocated to Boys and Girls Clubs in the area, along with some other organizations. We knew we weren't going to be able to go inside, so last week my sister and I did a little recon and scoped out the parking lot, as well as some other possible places we could hang out with our Happy Birthday signs and hopefully be visible to Garth as he drove in/out... So last night we got there a couple hours early and weren't surprised to see security in the SportsZone parking lot, but we hadn't anticipated nearby parking lots would also be staffed! Any place we could have hung out with our signs near the road was off limits. The complex is fenced in, but next to it is an abandoned office-type building, and we hung out outside the fence and waited for The Man to arrive! And waited, and waited.... Eventually we asked the security guys if Garth was running late and they told us he was inside hours before the event started. Oops!
There was an open gate in the fencing, and there didn't appear to be any security folks that would stop us from walking into the parking lot. We headed towards an open door just to see if we could peek inside. One of my nephews walked right into the place, up the stairs into the bleachers and made himself at home! No passes/tickets were required! We were waiting outside all that time and all we had to do was walk in! You could get to the bleachers/restrooms without credientials, but Garth was on the opposite side of the field all night, and we couldn't get that far without some kind of passes.
For the most of the camp, he was on the opposite side, taking pics with the special folks, and doing tv interviews. It was still fun to watch, even at a distance. He held a little girl while he took pics with her and her parents, and then she didn't want to go back to her daddy... Smart kid!
Toward the end of the camp, the coach (can't remember his name, but he coaches at Mt. Saint Joe in Cincy), Dwight Freeney, and Garth all gave brief speeches to the kids. Garth's was mostly about loving one another.

GarthFanIU
02-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Next he walked over where our boys were standing and started signing! He only got to a couple people before he got pulled away so the Colts cheerleaders could present him with a sign or plaque of some sort. Needless to say, we scurried down there right quick!
As soon as he walked over I told him Happy Birthday. Couldn't miss that opportunity. :) My sister handed him a picture to sign and he said it was a really cool pic. She told him I took it and he looked up and told me it was cool. In my head I said thanks...in real life I think I said "afndkndfr". I had one of my pics from the Nashville shows made into a small poster, and he signed it. I told him that I had seen him in Vegas recently and that it was my 25th GB show. He said "Thanks for that." and then said something about the Vegas shows being really fun to do. I couldn't hear his exact words as my heart was pounding a bit too loud. lol Next he shook hands with Zach and signed a pic for him. Garth was signing a hoodie from the Nashville shows for my youngest nephew, Cody, and Garth asked him where he got it. Cody told him he went to the concert and Garth said "You went to Nashville??" like he was surprised. Zach told him we all went, and then that we had the "Mr. Yearwood" sign. Garth laughed and remembered my sign! Yay! Zach told him I actually had the sign, and he looked at me (again) and said it was great. He said to all of us "Weren't those Nashville shows the best?" He said the crowds were just awesome. When he went to sign the hoodie, he asked Zach if he could use his back to sign the shirt on. (I'll post a pic of Zach's reaction. I think you'll all find it as amusing as we do. :D)
Every so often the guy from TFK would steal him away to sign for some people, but he kept coming back. My sister thanked him for being so sweet and for taking his time to sign. He thanked her and then told her to come here and gave her a big ol' hug. (She's hearing "C'mere Honey" in her head all day. lol) Once we all had something signed, we moved out of the way to allow others their turn, and decided to run back to the car and grab Zach's guitar and see if he could get it signed, and maybe get some pics if Garth had time.
When we came back in, we waited at the back of the crowd and just watched him interact with everyone. I could do that all day! He was so great with everyone, but especially the kids. Besides asking everyone how to spell their name, he asked everyone something - where they were from, were they having fun, etc. He took care of all the kids before moving on the the adults. I think he was getting tired towards the end, but he didn't show it. It was also really hot in there and he kept his suit jacket on the entire time.
While we were waiting, a lady asked if her son could take his picture with Zach's guitar... Turns out she thought he was Garth's official guitar holder. lol I'm going to put in an application for that job! Then a staff guy told Zach (very nicely) that Garth doesn't sign guitars. I knew I had seen him sign them, but I didn't know if maybe he only signs his brand or something. But he had no problem with signing it. He asked Zach if he plays it and Zach got all tongue-tied because he just started taking guitar class in August. I think he was afraid Garth was going to ask him to play something! :) Garth explained that if he was going to play it, he would sign it somewhere that it wouldn't wear off.
The guy before me handed him a Colts helmet signed by Peyton Manning and Garth jokingly acted like he thought it was a gift to him. He said he didn't feel worthy of having his name on there with Peyton's. (But he did sign it!)
I tried to take a pic of him with my sister and the camera had gone into battery saver mode and I was a bit flustered so I couldn't get it to come on. I told him she paid me to pretend the camera was malfunctioning. When it was my turn, I asked him if he was going to the Super Bowl (He isn't.). We were getting ready to take a picture and I was trying to ask him where Trisha was. I got as far as "Where is..." and then he put his arm around me and his cheek touched my face and I lost the ability to form a thought! I could NOT remember Trisha's name! So it went something like this "Where is.....your.....uh.....lady?" My sister assures me it flowed better than it sounded to me, but I'm not so sure. ;) He said she was filming for the Food Network shows. When we were leaving, I told him we'd see him in a couple years when the big tour rolls into Indy. Then I said "We've gotta be at the top of the list, right? It's been FORVER since you've been here!". He laughed but wasn't about to answer that. Then he said "I just can't wait to get back out there!" Neither can we!!
And that's the end of our Garth meeting! He signed for 2 or 3 hours, until the last person was gone.

GarthFanIU
02-04-2012, 11:36 PM
It says I can't post attachments, so here's a link to my photobucket account. It shouldn't require a password.
http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee471/garthfaniu/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ24

Paula
02-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Awesome. Thanks so much for sharing! You got some great shots and "face" time with Garth. The Garthangels were certainly with you in allowing you to get in and get so close.

Paula

GBronx
02-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks for sharing!! Great pictures too!!

Gbfanoh
02-05-2012, 10:26 AM
I love reading great stories like that, thanks for sharing!! Anyone else thinking road trip next year for camp :)

menderle
02-05-2012, 10:35 AM
"afndkndfr" I'm pretty sure that was one of the words I used when back when I met him. LOL! I think he's used to that language! Great report & I'm glad that you got to spend some time with him.

GarthFanIU
02-05-2012, 11:02 AM
The Garthangels were certainly with you in allowing you to get in and get so close.

More than you know, Paula! Our original plan was to park in the closest space to the only drive going in/out of the lot, with our signs, and hope to maybe get a wave or hello. This would have been the furthest place and around a corner from the door to get in. We were crushed when we found that all of our parking spots were off limits. That forced us to watch from a different area, and because of that we saw that wonderful bright green door was open. (The door we went in was neon green. We've named it The Portal of Dreams. lol) I think it was meant to work out for us. :)

Maggie526
02-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Awesome.. thanks for sharing Jody love your pics. Hope those Garthangels find their way to NJ in 2014 :)

Harriet
02-05-2012, 12:58 PM
awesome story and pictures!~ Thanks for sharing, Jody! Glad it all worked out just right!

txgb_fan
02-05-2012, 04:39 PM
What a cool story Jody!! Thanks so much for sharing with us! I'm so glad you got a hug :).

Tracie

Pam_NDL
02-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Love hearing the stories and seeing the pictures. Thank you!

Tiina4GB
02-07-2012, 10:09 AM
How cool is that! What a dream come true...
Thanks for sharing, Jody!

Steven75407
02-15-2012, 10:59 PM
If I met Garth, I would say, "Hello, Mr. Brooks. I'm Steve, and I've been a fan of yours since I was a kid. Your song "Friends in Low Places" made me a fan of country music, just like Mr. Strait's "Unwound" made you a bigger fan of country music. It is an honor to meet you, sir." I don't think I'd be speechless, I'd be so dang excited I'd ask Garth to invite me to his bus if possible, because his music has made a big impact on my life.....and millions of others.

txgb_fan
02-15-2012, 11:08 PM
I'd be so dang excited I'd ask Garth to invite me to his bus if possible

Steven, I had to laugh! I don't think Garth does buses these days. You might want to invite yourself on his plane :) I like to think I wouldn't be speechless, but I won't know until it happens!

Steven75407
02-16-2012, 01:53 AM
I either wouldn't be able to shut my mouth or start crying tears of joy - like he did when he met George Jones.

I dreamt about the two of us conversing about his career and stuff, and I said, "Garth, picture this: Both Georges singing Love Bug on the same stage. That would be your ultimate performance as a country fan. "You betcha," he told me. "I love my Georges." I replied, "Mine would be you and 25 other top acts singing Friends in Low Places at a tribute show...and me being in the front row, Mr. Brooks." Garth laughed, "Would Strait be part of it?" "Yes, sir." I answered.