PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts

stegie77
03-23-2011, 09:30 PM
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/garth-brooks-obama-i-love-him-death-its

IrishEyes17
03-23-2011, 10:44 PM
I have to agree with what he is saying in the end
"I think we should vote for them because they're right or wrong and we kind of have seemed to have fallen into that trap so that would be the one warning I would give all us, Put down where you're from and what flag you fly under and let's get to putting the best person, man or women in the office and let's start making some strides." "For me, it's if my guy didn't get in then I drag my feet for four years and we don't get anywhere and if my guy gets in, you drag your feet for four years and we don't get anywhere," he said. "We've got to stop doing that. Once we get there let's try to be four years down the road further than we were and let's see what happens. Let's all work together..."

I agree that both sides get a little hot headed and stubborn and with that nothing will get accomplished because the other side is not going to want to give up. I'm not going to lie, I have only voted in one election (the last one, I am only 20), but I have been following politics for some time. I almost wanted to go into political science. I think that if my (our) generation realizes this, things could possibly change in the future.

Thats just my two cents...
Emily

Ps-sorry If I offended anyone.

BLL
03-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Don't read the comments under the article; the general chord being struck is that Garth is a naive idiot at the least rude level.

IrishEyes17
03-23-2011, 11:32 PM
I read the first couple, they were extremely negative. I dont really understand though, I dont think he said anything offensive in the video.

What was this person trying to get across "Well Garth ..Obama does not love you to death and he surely doesn't give a rat's ass about you are any other American for darn sure. You just stepped in a heap of truth and unfortunately you will be losing a whole lot of fans... kiss your comfy life bye bye, just like the Dixie Chicks did..."

Emily

Mr_Sevens
03-24-2011, 12:39 AM
It makes me sad to see people so ignorant that they can't allow Garth to hold his own opinion. He said absolutely nothing offensive. Sadly, it seems like supporting and showing sympathy for the President gets you in a lot of trouble these days.

It seems clear to me that based on years worth of statements, Garth is a very open minded person. I don't think I've ever heard of him issuing a negative remark toward anyone.

In the video he doesn't sound like someone being overly political. He made a lot of good points and seemed to express a genuine concern and sympathy for President Obama doing his job the right way.

More power to you, Garth. I love you to death and fully support you as well.

hap_e_girl
03-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Garth took a bashing in those comments.... :(

I think these people that are bashing him, are Anti-Obama and so by Garth showing the least bit of support for Obama, he instantly is an ignorant singer that doesn't know shyt about anything.

Let's not forget that he was also a Bush supporter. I think as he said, lets come down from where we are from and lets forget what flag we fly under... I think he supports his president as an AMERICAN plain and simple.

Skywise
03-24-2011, 12:49 AM
Garth took a bashing in those comments.... :(

I. I think he supports his president as an AMERICAN plain and simple.

a good point- And while I'll definitely say this- I am no obama supporter by any means- he's done far more harm to our country than good, I also agree w/ Garth in that it's got to be he-- doing his job. no matter what half cocked (Libya) decisions you make, you'll tick off some and lose support here- you'll gain support from others... the OFFICE of president- that deserves to be respected- the choice thrust in there? maybe not so much..

as for the comments left? They're rather funny- a few, (FEW) are close to sensical, but in the same way that offensive material can sometimes be funny for it's ignorance... a lot of these comments are/were funny

BLL
03-24-2011, 01:58 AM
I actually agree with Garth; I don't know why anyone would want the office, but thank goodness they do, as you can't do anything right according to some people. I also agree that the two bodies in Congress need to listen to the voters and do what's best for the people and not just lock step in to a party line.

littlenspunky2
03-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Okay, I defended the best way I knew how lol I have a fee choice words for them people that I didn't say lol, but I think you know what they are. :)

IrishEyes17
03-24-2011, 03:35 PM
If those people who were posting the negative comments actually sat and listened to a Garth song (we shall be free) and sat and listened to his interviews on politics (which is few) they would understand him a lot more I think. I was talking to my friend who is also a huge Garth fan about this last night. Garth supports a lot of things, and I don't think that he is power hungry or trying to get on Obamas good side, I think he is just being himself.

Emily

littlenspunky2
03-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Preach on Emily!

Gbfanoh
03-24-2011, 06:32 PM
One girl said she would never go to another Garth concert because of what he said. I told her thats fine it just meant more tickets for me! I respect Garth's opinion.

IrishEyes17
03-24-2011, 08:02 PM
I finally went and put my 2 cents up there...Don't think it will do any good but oh well lol

Emily

BLL
03-24-2011, 08:27 PM
You made a very good post Emily; I too, put my two cents in, though I doubt the majority of the posters will understand it as I used words with more than two syllables.

IrishEyes17
03-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Lol! At least we know there are some good true Garth fans out there that will stick up for him.

Emily

IrishEyes17
03-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Someone just posted on that link that the video clip is going to be on the O'Reilly factor.

Emily

BLL
03-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Oh, joy, we'll have even more people disparaging his opinion. :rolleyes:

IrishEyes17
03-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Lol yeah...Im not a big fan of O'Reilly...but I think I might have to watch this just to see what he or others have to say.

Emily

Drifter721
03-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Garth, I've been a long time fan and supporter from your early days. Remember the small concerts at The Saddle Rack in San Jose?

You have the right to make your political opinions public - and I have the right to throw ALL your CD's in the furnace! Bye bye Dixie chicks and bye bye to Garth and Trisha!

You ain't real country anymore.

Drifter721
03-24-2011, 10:26 PM
You've got friends in high places.....and you can kiss my a**!!

EveryNow&Then
03-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Let me be clear, I'm not an Obama supporter, and I wasn't a Bush supporter either... Do I think that Garth said anything offensive? No. Do I wish Garth were a little more informed on the actions and the politics of the person he is supporting? Yes. However, unlike 99.5% of the politicians of this country I think Garth is 100% sincere, motivated for the right reasons, and has his heart in the right place. I will never politically agree with Garth in many respects, but I respect his views because they are heartfelt and in no way nefarious or power hungry. He has the right to his opinion, and as a conservative person I think the comments made about him are childish and unfortunate. Since when is having a different opinion mean we can have no respect and want no association with each other? It's sad that people have such little class and ability to keep an open mind.

Bottom line, Garth has liberal leanings in a lot of respects, and that's ok. We love him for his music, not for his politics. He has had a relationship with several presidents, includings the Bushes and now Obama. I've never heard Garth speak poorly of anyone specific(except scalpers and people that download illegally), much less someone that he considers a friend. He will never pubilically say anything bad about any of these men. He respects the office, and stands behind his President no matter the party. Those that can't see the difference between the respectful comments Garth made and the demented ravings of a Michael Moore or someone like him don't deserve to participate in the political process.

Just my two cents...

IrishEyes17
03-24-2011, 11:37 PM
EveryNow&Then...I agree with you all of they way...
I don't understand how people can just "Throw" him away just because he spoke his opinion that he has EVERY right to say. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Emily

BLL
03-25-2011, 12:59 AM
Unfortunately for those on the very far right 'freedom of speech' only applies for those who lock step with their views; anyone else they attempt to tear down. *sigh*

Mr_Sevens
03-25-2011, 02:31 AM
Let me be clear, I'm not an Obama supporter, and I wasn't a Bush supporter either... Do I think that Garth said anything offensive? No. Do I wish Garth were a little more informed on the actions and the politics of the person he is supporting? Yes. However, unlike 99.5% of the politicians of this country I think Garth is 100% sincere, motivated for the right reasons, and has his heart in the right place. I will never politically agree with Garth in many respects, but I respect his views because they are heartfelt and in no way nefarious or power hungry. He has the right to his opinion, and as a conservative person I think the comments made about him are childish and unfortunate. Since when is having a different opinion mean we can have no respect and want no association with each other? It's sad that people have such little class and ability to keep an open mind.

Bottom line, Garth has liberal leanings in a lot of respects, and that's ok. We love him for his music, not for his politics. He has had a relationship with several presidents, includings the Bushes and now Obama. I've never heard Garth speak poorly of anyone specific(except scalpers and people that download illegally), much less someone that he considers a friend. He will never pubilically say anything bad about any of these men. He respects the office, and stands behind his President no matter the party. Those that can't see the difference between the respectful comments Garth made and the demented ravings of a Michael Moore or someone like him don't deserve to participate in the political process.

Just my two cents...

Not sure what makes you think Garth isn't very informed on the actions and politics of President Obama. You seem to imply that you know something he doesn't? :p

Garth is a very smart man. That much is inarguable. As for the people pushing him aside for having an opinion that actually makes a helluva lot of sense...Throwing his music away because he supports a man that EVERY American should support (And no, support does not mean agree with. I supported President Bush even though I think the man did some terribly diabolical things.) is not a valid reason. Quite frankly, I don't think Garth would be sad to see you go.

Drifter, Relating what the Dixie Chicks said to what Garth said is downright ignorant. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. People like YOU are exactly what is wrong with this country. You won't even LISTEN to another set of ideas...just plugged your ears and run away like a child. Pathetic.

I love Garth for his music but I think most of all I love him for his personality. He's not afraid to say what he believes even if it causes some controversy. From The Thunder Rolls to We Shall Be Free to iTunes to this. People always try to push him down but damn it if he doesn't stay right where he wants. You've got my respect, buddy. Stand straight, walk proud. :D

Garth_FANtasizer
03-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Bwahahaha! I don't know if this should crack me up or make me cry.

I don't know a better man than Garth Brooks. His comment should be taken as a call to civility. A good man trying to bring a country together from a divided state of political stagnation.

I bet the people bashing him call themselves christians... picture it in your head right now. Jesus Christ returns.. starts talking about loving one another, supportintg each other, taking care of the poor, and some idiot yells out "bye bye buddy! You got friends in high places and you can kiss my a**!*

Rediculous behavior.

~Ann~

littlenspunky2
03-25-2011, 09:16 AM
What I find amusing is he's being compared to the Dixie Chicks. The Dixie Chicks were ridiculed for not supporting the president.. Garth's being ridiculed for supporting the president. Does that add up to anyone else? To me it looks like you can't be with him nor against him without half the country turning on you. A country were everyone should be allowed to have their own views. Turning against someone because they don't agree with you, what sad sad people they must be. No one needs people like that on their team anyway. Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Mr_Sevens
03-25-2011, 11:15 AM
bwahahaha! I don't know if this should crack me up or make me cry.

I don't know a better man than garth brooks. His comment should be taken as a call to civility. A good man trying to bring a country together from a divided state of political stagnation.

I bet the people bashing him call themselves christians... Picture it in your head right now. Jesus christ returns.. Starts talking about loving one another, supportintg each other, taking care of the poor, and some idiot yells out "bye bye buddy! You got friends in high places and you can kiss my a**!*

rediculous behavior.

~ann~

amen!

txgb_fan
03-25-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm throwing in a second amen to Ann's comments! I do like how Garth stands up for the little guy in most circumstances. His liberal views come out in his songs, and I love that! Some people are just ignorant and will not think for themselves. Garth likes to give people something to think about, which is great!

summerwind16
03-26-2011, 09:33 AM
A third Amen to Ann's comments! (:

Teach
03-26-2011, 12:31 PM
I don't like when any entertainer or person with influence state their political opinions because they influence people to vote the way the person of influence feels because they think they have to agree with that person to be a fan. I also object to people saying that people against Obama are racist or Christian. That is a generalization especially since most of you don't know those people. I don't know whether I like Obama as a person because I don't know him. I do know that I do disagree with many of his policies and do feel he is harming the country. That is not because I am racist or Christian, it is because I am intelligent and know what my opinions happen to be. I do keep an open mind but I do have some ideals and morals that I will never change. I do exactly what GB said when he said vote for the best man. My opinion might not always be with one political party or the other political party. I do think we should always vote for what is best for the whole country and that Congress should represent the people that elected them, not special interest groups or a political party.

Gbfanoh
03-26-2011, 05:28 PM
I would really hope that adults wouldn't vote for someone just because their favorite entertainer would. I am a die hard Garth fan since 99, he is the bomb, I have no problem with Garth giving his opinion on anything. I may not agree with him on everything but I don't think he said anything that warrants the reaction he is getting. Like I said before to everyone that says they will no longer buy or go to any future Garth concerts....more tickets for all of us!!

IrishEyes17
03-26-2011, 06:28 PM
I agree...it's sad that people are going to vote for someone because their favorite entertainer did. If your going to do that, you might as well not vote, because your not trying to make your own opinion heard. You should like that entertainer for what they do first and foremost.

Although the plus side to this, like you said, is more tickets for us (which is awesome since I have never seen Garth in Concert!!) :)

Emily

Garthmedic
03-27-2011, 01:15 AM
He can say what he wants to say. People can vote the way they want to vote. In my humble opinion, politicians are the enemy, not musicians.

Brett Dale
03-27-2011, 04:43 AM
Hey drifter, thanks for joing the boards and then tel;lings us your going to burn hios cds because hes loves a democratic president, yeppers.

sj3r
03-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Every citizen in this country has the right to speak their mind and have an opinion about how this country is run. We have lost a lot men and women to preserve this right. Wether or not you agree with it is irrelevant.

Teach
04-01-2011, 09:19 AM
BLL, in reading your posts I see how you like to insult people that do not agree with you. For instance, most posters won't understand words of more than two syllables. That is a very insulting statement. Do you think anyone that is not a liberal is unintelligent? Also, the far right only thinks freedom of speech is for them. Let's be realistic here. Both sides think they are right and only want to hear from people that agree with them. I do know people who vote how Oprah votes, or how their minister votes, or how Glenn Beck votes. This is why I said I do not like people of influence stating their political opinions because this is what happens. I stand by that statement and I am still a Garth fan. I just think he should stick to music. BTW, a few of his songs should have told you his political leanings.

Skywise
04-01-2011, 10:54 AM
BLL, in reading your posts I see how you like to insult people that do not agree with you. For instance, most posters won't understand words of more than two syllables. That is a very insulting statement. Do you think anyone that is not a liberal is unintelligent?

ehh, teach, in all fairness (and this is coming from someone who is unafraid to say I am definitely not a liberal and am not pro left leaning politically..) I think you're being a bit harsh.... she's referring (imo) to the comments left below Garth's statement- honestly, with a few of the comments (at least those that were left as of the time I looked at them) she may be on to something- there are some pretty inane comments left.

don't be so quick to rip someone a new one.....

BLL
04-01-2011, 10:57 AM
BLL, in reading your posts I see how you like to insult people that do not agree with you. For instance, most posters won't understand words of more than two syllables. That is a very insulting statement.

Well I'm sorry you feel I insult people. I merely pointed out in reading the comments on the other site that many of the people commenting didn't seem to have a grasp on grammar or spelling. I certainly think freedom of speech applies to all Americans, and I'm well aware that Garth is a rather liberal Republican. I just find attacking a person because they think someone who is unpopular is doing a good job shows ignorance. Since it is my opinion I find your comment puzzling and unwarranted.

Debbie from NZ
04-01-2011, 04:43 PM
You go, Garth! Just more of why I think you're an awesome person!

Fascinates me that a guy who speaks some common sense and avoids making any political comment at all (unless you read between the lines and make it up) can be attacked so viciously.

Mr_Sevens
04-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Well I'm sorry you feel I insult people. I merely pointed out in reading the comments on the other site that many of the people commenting didn't seem to have a grasp on grammar or spelling. I certainly think freedom of speech applies to all Americans, and I'm well aware that Garth is a rather liberal Republican. I just find attacking a person because they think someone who is unpopular is doing a good job shows ignorance. Since it is my opinion I find your comment puzzling and unwarranted.

I don't think I've ever really seen anything from Garth to suggest he is Republican? (Just stating/asking out of my own curiosity. I know there are people here that would just as soon as not know.)

Teach
04-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Oh, so another words when liberals attacked Rush Limbaugh because he thought Bush was doing a good job that showed ignorance or since that is not a liberal point of view, it is different. You are so quick to talk about others being ignorant and not using grammar correctly or correct spelling, I merely think it is insulting to take it upon yourself to call people ignorant when they express an opinion different than yours. In the first place you are name calling and that is not really a good practice.

Skywise
04-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Ok teach, from one conservative to another- back off a little.. She explained her point, you dont' need to belittle her about it- I supported Bush, I think it's hypocritical that Limbaugh is attacked at ttimes the way he is, but TEach- seriously- chill out a bit.....

Oh, so another words when liberals attacked Rush Limbaugh because he thought Bush was doing a good job that showed ignorance or since that is not a liberal point of view, it is different. You are so quick to talk about others being ignorant and not using grammar correctly or correct spelling, I merely think it is insulting to take it upon yourself to call people ignorant when they express an opinion different than yours. In the first place you are name calling and that is not really a good practice.

btw- sevens- I don't know I've heard directly Garth ever say his political affiliation- I can't say I wouldn't be interested in knowing, but I think Garth's overall done a good job of showing respect for the political offices w/o getting into it on candidates directly.. the only real social issue I can think of that he's 'come out' on (ok, poor choice of words maybe) is Homosexuality, etc. But other than that? nothing that I'm too aware of....

BLL
04-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Teach, it is apparent you do not understand that what I have posted is my OPINION. I attacked no-one. You are welcome to your opinions as I am to mine.

Scott, Garth told Crook and Chase he was a registered Republican way back in 1990, as his Father would 'have a fit if he was anything else'. That, of course, could have changed. Like Garth I advocate voting the best person regardless of party.

Skywise
04-02-2011, 01:09 AM
Scott, Garth told Crook and Chase he was a registered Republican way back in 1990, as his Father would 'have a fit if he was anything else'. That, of course, could have changed. Like Garth I advocate voting the best person regardless of party.

tha'ts true.. it could've changed :)

I do agree- honestly, it's one reason I am not a registered member of either party (though I do ID myself as a conservative). I won't vote strictly due to a party- I vote for the candidate who I feel best represents my views. in 1992? it was Bush- in 1996? Clinton. in 2000/04? Bush.. 08? well, I didnt' vote for our president that's for certain-

garth_fan_13
04-02-2011, 04:46 PM
I totally respect Garth's opinion. I'm not saying saying that I agree with it, but I respect it. I think it's natural for people to agree and disagree. But I honestly don't think you should not like an artist because of their views. Garth doesn't do much with politics, but some artists do. I honestly don't like when artists get involved. Meaning too involved. Garth really isn't. And I partially agree with him. (meaning his opinion) I saw this on O'Reilly as well (not really a fan. but my dad is so... it was on.) But GB should definitely not get attacked for his opinion. It's a free country. 1st amendment right. :) Just an opinion though... :D

Maggie526
04-02-2011, 05:09 PM
But GB should definitely not get attacked for his opinion.

Neither should Barbara get verbally abused for HER opinion
I support the 1st Amendment but is this really the proper place to discuss our personal political views Scott?

Skywise
04-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Neither should Barbara get verbally abused for HER opinion
I support the 1st Amendment but is this really the proper place to discuss our personal political views Scott?

ehh, Maggie- I'm not verbally abusing Barbara at all.. If anything, I'm mostly agreeing with her..

re: the pers. political views- not totally sure of what you're getting at. I think you can discuss almost anywhere, if you know the boundaries...

Maggie526
04-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I didn't accuse you of abusing Barbara, Scott

Skywise
04-02-2011, 05:52 PM
I didn't accuse you of abusing Barbara, Scott

no prob then :D

Garthmedic
04-02-2011, 07:20 PM
**Mod hat on**

We are way off topic here.

(Crackin' da whip)

Back on topic, please :)

Mr_Sevens
04-03-2011, 09:11 PM
btw- sevens- I don't know I've heard directly Garth ever say his political affiliation- I can't say I wouldn't be interested in knowing, but I think Garth's overall done a good job of showing respect for the political offices w/o getting into it on candidates directly.. the only real social issue I can think of that he's 'come out' on (ok, poor choice of words maybe) is Homosexuality, etc. But other than that? nothing that I'm too aware of....

That's what I was thinking. I think he does a fantastic job of staying respectful to the offices and separate parties.

But then again, there are people that will find offense in almost anything. As witnessed by this thread and some of the comments in the original article.

Skywise
04-03-2011, 09:18 PM
wel put 7's