PDA

View Full Version : Unhappy about the ticket increase in Vegas??

ErinRae
11-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Every site I have been on has livid fans about this but I want to hear what Garth says about it. I am choosing to believe that he is not happy about and I hope that's the case because otherwise I will be very hurt and disappointed. I'm not saying to complain to Larry King about it but just let him know it's of interest to us and we would like the question to be asked. (p.s. I am not sure if it's ok for me to post the links to the facebook pages I saw someone asking for them in another post so I was trying to help out, if it's not ok please delete them and accept my apologies)

Go to Larry King's facebook page and tell him we want him to ask Garth about it when he's there next month.

http://www.facebook.com/CNNLarryKingLive?ref=mf&v=app_155597781133790#!/CNNLarryKingLive?v=wall

Go to Wynn Las Vegas and tell Steve Wynn what you think

http://www.facebook.com/CNNLarryKingLive?ref=mf&v=app_155597781133790#!/wynnlasvegas

Maggie526
11-10-2010, 04:36 PM
here's a poll on USAToday

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2010/11/is-garth-brooks-worth-225-a-ticket/130544/1

TJsgotGBfever
11-10-2010, 05:38 PM
here's a poll on USAToday

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2010/11/is-garth-brooks-worth-225-a-ticket/130544/1

The thing with that poll is it's not a matter of would you... if I could, for him, would I? Yeah, and lots more.....but the fact of the matter is we've never had to, he's never made us, and that's a big part of the love for him. So I guess I'm a contradiction because only for him I would, but then again I wouldn't because it is so against so much of what I have thought GB to be about.
Add this mystery Pre-sale to the mix, which obviously since not one person seems to have a code for, was not going out to the core fans it's really upsetting and so not what we're used to. And makes no sense from the original press conference where there was that banter between them about Wynn holding back tics for hotel guests, high-rollers, etc. and Garth kind of giving him this, 'that better not happen' tone.

$143 was enough to get used to... but for a intimate acoustic which many of us had dreamed of for many years in Vegas... and to have Wynn get him to come out and play ... yeah, ok. But, $253?!?!

So I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around this. Though it obviously came from Wynn, Garth's doing business with him... he's still performing there. The only possible scenario I can think of where he cannot be held accountable as well is if he agreed to the dates and THEN Wynn upped the pricing, which based on their statements would not need Garth's approval... and now he's stuck with it.... this would only be proven if he walks away after this round.

PJ
11-10-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm not surprised to see the ticket increase, but am surprised ALL tickets were increased. I expected that price for close seats and then tiered back from there.

TJsgotGBfever
11-10-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm not surprised to see the ticket increase, but am surprised ALL tickets were increased. I expected that price for close seats and then tiered back from there.

Yeah, I definitely would have expected that first, as that's what it seemed like Wynn wanted to begin with.

adamthegarthfan
11-10-2010, 08:19 PM
It's just business, Garth has done a wonderful job of making tickets, cd's and merchandise affordable to everyone. I would like to think that after years of Garth taking care of his fans, that we could cut him some slack on this one. Vegas is A LOT different from a Garth tour. This is a resident show at the Wynn. This is an equal partnership between Wynn and Garth, and so Steve Wynn should also have a say in pricing. It's just like Garth said at the beginning of all this, and I'm paraphrasing here. "If you think $125 is a little too high, don't come. Wait, I'll come to you,and it'll cost a lot less." So, if $253 is too steep, chill out, hold on, and he'll come to us!

alictf
11-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Yes but the shows where he comes to you and the Vegas show really don't even compare - both FABULOUS! But in different ways.. True true fans should be able to see garth in the Vegas format ..I'm sure glad I got to go to Vegas before these prices!!

gbwnab
11-10-2010, 08:35 PM
After having just been to a show this Friday, I can say that I will not be back to a show at these inflated prices. I am not saying that GB was not worth the cost of admission, but if Garth is true to his word I doubt that I will have a choice to attend the Vegas shows in the future. I for one, would be dissapointed if Garth were to continue because it was he who announced that the ticket prices were a huge point of contention.

These prices are not geared to the everyday fan any longer and while I appreciate Steve wanting to make all the money he can, and Garth for bringing his music to us fans one of the only ways he can at the moment... I still think that there is something to be said for holding true to your belief system. I know I will...Garth if you were looking for the tipping point of a fan who has been along for the ride since 1990, seen many shows and travelled many miles to see you- I think you`ve found it.

adamthegarthfan
11-10-2010, 09:24 PM
I understand what you guys are saying. I just respectfully disagree. I don't think its for anyone to say what a singer/entertainer should or shouldn't charge for their product except for the singer/entertainer. It's up to the fan/consumer to decide if they are going to purchase the product or not, but to say that Garth is disappointing his fans or letting us down is a bit of a stretch. Garth Brooks has been my hero since 1989 and I don't feel the man owes me a thing. If anything, I owe him.

TheAlpadacas
11-10-2010, 11:19 PM
I think the reason that this increase has caused the distress it has here doesn't revolve entirely around how much Garth (aka Steve Wynn) should charge for tickets.

We are met with the dilemma of asking the questions "Is a Garth show worth $253.00?" and "Is that financially feasible for me?". I suspect that just about all of us would LOVE to be able to spend $253.00 to go to a Garth concert. I cannot think of a single thing I would rather do with my disposable income. But, for the first time in Garth's career, these Vegas shows have put us in a position where that price makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to find the money.

(That isn't to say that we could all afford to drop $30 a ticket as often as we could possibly want in the past, but if we could afford to go to any concert, we could afford to see Garth. He simply kept his prices as low or lower than any touring act [and, as far as the best seats are concerned, the lowest])

So, it is sad. And I hope that Wynn reverts back to the previous price, for our sake and Garth's. I hate to see him have to choose between playing his music (because this is essentially the only venue that works consistently for him) and sticking to his beliefs concerning ticket prices. Not to mention the effect that this will likely have on the nature of his audiences - the concern he voiced publicly. At the end of the day, though, I would rather him get to keep on doing what he loves without me there, than for him to have to stop until 2015, in which case neither he nor his fans get the joy that comes with a Garth concert.

gbfans66
11-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Maybe when he comes back out at the affordable price in arenas in a few years he will give us a taste of the Vegas experience. He could easily pull it off ya know. Even in an arena do the Vegas show and make ya feel like you were in his living room just like it does in Vegas. We can hope!

luvzgb
11-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Absolutely the show is worth the price - but would I, or most fans pay that amount? Not likely. Simply put, I can't afford to take my family to that show. I'm thankful that we can take our boys to Nashville for less than the price of 1 ticket in Vegas. And I guess we'll wait until 2015 to see him again.

I thought Wynn would have been more likely to go to a tiered system than an outright almost doubling of the ticket price. But, if it sells, then Wynn will feel justified. It will be interesting to see how well the ticket sales go on Saturday.

adamthegarthfan
11-11-2010, 12:00 AM
I think the reason that this increase has caused the distress it has here doesn't revolve entirely around how much Garth (aka Steve Wynn) should charge for tickets.

We are met with the dilemma of asking the questions "Is a Garth show worth $253.00?" and "Is that financially feasible for me?". I suspect that just about all of us would LOVE to be able to spend $253.00 to go to a Garth concert. I cannot think of a single thing I would rather do with my disposable income. But, for the first time in Garth's career, these Vegas shows have put us in a position where that price makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to find the money.

(That isn't to say that we could all afford to drop $30 a ticket as often as we could possibly want in the past, but if we could afford to go to any concert, we could afford to see Garth. He simply kept his prices as low or lower than any touring act [and, as far as the best seats are concerned, the lowest])

So, it is sad. And I hope that Wynn reverts back to the previous price, for our sake and Garth's. I hate to see him have to choose between playing his music (because this is essentially the only venue that works consistently for him) and sticking to his beliefs concerning ticket prices. Not to mention the effect that this will likely have on the nature of his audiences - the concern he voiced publicly. At the end of the day, though, I would rather him get to keep on doing what he loves without me there, than for him to have to stop until 2015, in which case neither he nor his fans get the joy that comes with a Garth concert.

I respect what you say, and you make some valid points. I'll be the first to say that I wish the Vegas tickets were less expensive. It would be great if they could be affordable to all of us. That being said, It's not the fact that people are unhappy about not being able to afford tickets, it's when some people say things like "I'm disappointed in Garth" and "Garth let me down" as if Garth has done something bad or wrong with allowing the Vegas tickets to be $253. While it is true that at the beginning of the Wynn deal ticket prices were a major point of contention for Garth, it is also true that things change.

I myself can't afford to go to Vegas and see Garth's show. I'd love to, but I can't. Thats life. Nobody has done anything wrong. It's just the way it goes. It's cool. I'll see him later on.

alictf
11-11-2010, 01:12 AM
Garth loves these shows - I'd hate for him to have to walk away even if he feels like he needs to. If the audiences aren't what he wants - he may. You'd think Wynn would lower prices before he'd let him walk away.

I'm with Adam - Garth sure owes me nothing

but from everything ive ever known about him - I don't think he would like this.

gbwnab
11-11-2010, 02:00 PM
I continue to hold onto the belief that this web-site has room for objective Garth fans. If you look at my profile it will tell you two things, 1) I have been a member for a little while, so I’m not new here looking to bash a great entertainer and 2) I don’t post a lot, just for the sake of seeing my own musings… Having said this I still reserve the right to have an objective opinion on matters, EVEN if they pertain to Garth Brooks. You won’t hear me say that I agree with him always, no matter what, no matter when- so please don’t be surprised when you see that I am disappointed when someone holds some things near and dear to their heart, and then changes the rules mid-game. This is not a slight against Garth Brooks the person, the truth is, I’m disappointed when anyone goes against their beliefs- and this could be my dog-sitter, my mail carrier…yes, even Garth Brooks.

We will never know all of the reasons behind the price increase, but the fan in me tells me that this is not something that Garth is happy about, and I am waiting patiently to see if he signs to extend his Vegas dates beyond next February. This to me, will tell me if Garth is truly on board with these significant price increases.

Further, the fans DO dictate what any act can and will charge for their services. The price is and will always be what the consumer or end-user is willing to pay for that service. (Do you think that there would be huge line-ups for tickets that cost $1000?) Right now I think Steve is trying to see what the market can handle, are people willing to pay $250, $300?? All I am saying is, this is my limit.

Lastly, I don’t think that Garth owes me anything, except a great show when I do pay to see him perform- never been disappointed. The challenge that I am faced with is, what would have to happen at a $250.00/ticket Garth Brooks show for me to walk out the door and say, yes- I was satisfied. If we can be honest here I think that we will all agree that there is a satisfaction level increase that has to take place when we attend a $250 show as opposed to a $25 show. To put this into perspective, when I went to Vegas last weekend, I stayed at the Wynn and at T.I. I fully expected that for the added cost of the Wynn hotel room, I would see a nicer property, nicer room, better shows…I think this expectation was well warranted.
I’m not upset, I won’t lose any sleep over it- they have every right to do as they see fit, just as I retain the right to say thanks, but no thanks.

Tiina4GB
11-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Heck, yeah I would pay 253 to see the Vegas show!
I'm with Adam about this. I mean, we don't own Garth. He gives us something other artists can't and that's a precious gift. He's done something like the Vegas thing in the previous benefit concerts so if you don't want to pay Vegas prices, don't - life is full of disappointments. (But I'm pretty sure some people will pay that to see him in Nashville because of the scalpers.)

I also think that the audience will be quite different after the raise in prices and I can't picture those people giving Garth the experience that we have with the previous shows...

ErinRae
11-11-2010, 02:51 PM
The question is not whether we feel he "owes" us anything. He certainly does not, I think Garth is more in touch and does more for his fans than anyone else. He is the most genuine person I have ever met. He truly listens when people speak to him and is a very caring person.

Is it worth $253 to pay to see Garth in Vegas in that intimate setting? Absolutely 100% it's worth that and much more

BUT the question here is SHOULD fans be asked to pay that much from someone who has always in the past made such a big deal about ticket prices being too high. I understood the $125 it's a smaller venue, different show, etc, etc, etc but to double the prices after the first year seems wrong to me. Don't get me wrong, I think this is 98% Steve Wynn's doing and that is who I am angry with at the moment, but if Garth goes along with this after this round of shows I will be so disappointed and hurt. I hope that does not happen, I never thought Garth could disappoint me and I hope he doesn't, I have been a huge fan since I was 10 years old (almost 20 years).

Paying that much from a scalper is a completely different situation. In those instances the ticket was sold by the entertainer for what they felt was a reasonable price (the problem here would be if Garth believed that the $225 is reasonable) and it's the fans choice to pay that much to see them because they weren't lucky enough to get tickets in the normal way. I am not condoning ticket scalping I think it's awful but I understand those who buy from scalpers, I have don't it myself in the past. And yes I realize fans have a choice here too and can choose not to purchase tickets to see Garth in Vegas but I am just saying this is not exactly the same situation as buying at an inflated price from a scalper than buying at an inflated price from the original seller. This just makes this whole deal feel wrong to me now.

ErinRae
11-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Maybe when he comes back out at the affordable price in arenas in a few years he will give us a taste of the Vegas experience. He could easily pull it off ya know. Even in an arena do the Vegas show and make ya feel like you were in his living room just like it does in Vegas. We can hope!

He has done it before in the arena shows. I saw 5 of the nine Kansas city shows and after each one he came out just him and his guitar and did basically what he does in Vegas for his arena show encores. Which is why I found it so funny that the theater was called the Encore theater because essentially you are just seeing Garth give his "encore" performance without the big show in front of it.

adamthegarthfan
11-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Further, the fans DO dictate what any act can and will charge for their services. The price is and will always be what the consumer or end-user is willing to pay for that service.

I meant no disrespect. I will say this about the above quote. I'm speaking from my point of view only. If it is my work, my product, and my time, then I decide what to charge for it. And if no one wants to pay my price, then I either change the price or I get out of it. I understand holding everybody accountable to their beliefs, but sometimes there are extenuating circumstances. In this case the circumstances being that this is a Vegas show, and Garth has a partner in this venture in Steve Wynn.

We are all Garth fans here and I don't expect us to all agree with everything Garth says and does, or everything we say amongst one another. Thats one of the reasons I love this forum. It's a place where all Garth fans can come and share our love for Garth, our information, questions and views on this awesome guys career, even if those views differ. We can have a forum and get one another's perspective on things. So, with that said at the end of the day when it comes to this particular thread about the Vegas price increase, I'm just going to say, yeah it sucks the tickets are so high, but in my opinion the man has every right to charge what ever he wants. If this has gotten at all contentious then I apologize. I've said my peace. I'm going to shut up now on this one.