PDA

View Full Version : Garth interview in Scotland 93-94.

adamthegarthfan
11-08-2010, 02:49 PM
I ran across this. Gath on a Scottish T.V. show called Kirsty from 1994. It runs about 23 minutes long. Garth sings If Tomorrow Never Comes and Vincent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXr9vjYBASU

Tiina4GB
11-09-2010, 02:00 PM
OMG!!!!
That was so sweet - Garth singing Vincent was fabulous!

Mr_Sevens
11-09-2010, 09:35 PM
What show was the lady around 9:30 minutes referring to?

ErinRae
11-09-2010, 11:28 PM
What show was the lady around 9:30 minutes referring to?

Rude treatment from British media

During Brooks' 1994 tour of the UK he made a number of general radio and television appearances. On ITV's regional news show London Tonight, he was introduced with the words "Howdy partners, I've gone on down to Wembley Arena to interview a top-selling, rooting tooting, cotton picking, Country and Western star, yeeha!" On Channel 4's nationwide Big Breakfast show he was mocked by presenters Chris Evans and Paula Yates, with Evans commenting, "He's selling more records than anyone in the world, but none of us have ever heard of him." Yates did an impression of a Country singer and told Brooks that, "Country singers always seem to be weeping over the dead dog and things," and also remarked, "I thought you'd come in here and twiddle your pistol around and be impressed." During this interview, Brooks seemed a little uneasy and was relieved when he was told it was over; although he remained very polite, he did mention to Yates that she clearly didn't know a thing about Country music, at least in the last 20 years. Scores of Brooks fans wrote to complain about the way he was treated by the show. Sometime after this, Dwight Yoakam appeared on the same show and after Yates told him, "You seem different from other Country singers we've had on the show," Yoakam replied, "What? All two of us?"

In a radio interview with British Country disc jockey John Wellington, Brooks was quoted as saying, "Yeah I was shocked at the reaction I got from the crowd in London. From the media attention I got, I thought country music didn't exist here, but Country music is alive and well in London, as well as all of England." Unlike Alan Jackson, who refused to return to the UK after being treated in a similar manner by the press, Brooks returned in 1996 for more sell out concerts, although this time his media appearances were mostly restricted to country radio and interviews with magazines.

Mr_Sevens
11-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Rude treatment from British media

During Brooks' 1994 tour of the UK he made a number of general radio and television appearances. On ITV's regional news show London Tonight, he was introduced with the words "Howdy partners, I've gone on down to Wembley Arena to interview a top-selling, rooting tooting, cotton picking, Country and Western star, yeeha!" On Channel 4's nationwide Big Breakfast show he was mocked by presenters Chris Evans and Paula Yates, with Evans commenting, "He's selling more records than anyone in the world, but none of us have ever heard of him." Yates did an impression of a Country singer and told Brooks that, "Country singers always seem to be weeping over the dead dog and things," and also remarked, "I thought you'd come in here and twiddle your pistol around and be impressed." During this interview, Brooks seemed a little uneasy and was relieved when he was told it was over; although he remained very polite, he did mention to Yates that she clearly didn't know a thing about Country music, at least in the last 20 years. Scores of Brooks fans wrote to complain about the way he was treated by the show. Sometime after this, Dwight Yoakam appeared on the same show and after Yates told him, "You seem different from other Country singers we've had on the show," Yoakam replied, "What? All two of us?"

In a radio interview with British Country disc jockey John Wellington, Brooks was quoted as saying, "Yeah I was shocked at the reaction I got from the crowd in London. From the media attention I got, I thought country music didn't exist here, but Country music is alive and well in London, as well as all of England." Unlike Alan Jackson, who refused to return to the UK after being treated in a similar manner by the press, Brooks returned in 1996 for more sell out concerts, although this time his media appearances were mostly restricted to country radio and interviews with magazines.

Wow. How incredibly unprofessional. Then again, that's close to the way I expect the American media to react to foreigners at times...

Are there any clips of these appearances online?

BLL
11-10-2010, 01:38 PM
I don't know about online as I'm really quite rubbish at finding things, but the Big Breakfast clip is in 'Trying to Rope the World'. He looks really uncomfortable and really pissed off in the clip.