PDA

View Full Version : When will Garth go on Itunes??

Brett Dale
10-04-2009, 08:02 PM
I wish he would change his mind, imagine how many downloads, the live version of FILP would get??

MuchTooYoung
10-17-2009, 12:41 AM
This touches on a subject I was about to post as its own thread. In one of Garth's two press conferences, he remarked that iTunes is "killing" the music industry (apparently unaware that the iTunes Store is one of the most successful business models in the world for legal music sales). Here's what I posted in another forum concerning Garth's anti-iTunes stance:

Well (and this is coming from a fan of Garth's), remember this is the same guy who tried to thwart used CD sales nearly 20 years ago. And, on paper, to an extent, he's right. When an entire album goes platinum, every session player and songwriter is entitled to royalties (the poor collection and distribution of which, is another debate). When fans cherry-pick specific songs, only those players and writers are entitled to royalties.

I side with the artists on one issue, at least. I have grown very tired hearing people look at a CD and declare that "There's only one or two good songs on here." What that really means is, "I've only heard one or two songs on here." Typically, this is because those people only hear what singles are pushed on radio or get exposure online. Many a time, I've bought an album and been disappointed by which album cuts were passed over as singles, and I know I'm not alone in this.

Now, here's the thing I would say to Garth about this. Firstly, as others have noted, digital sales can easily be restricted to entire album purchases. Secondly, while I appreciate his point about how useless radio and iPods would be with no music playing, I would ask him how relevant an artist's work is with no audience to appreciate it. See, it cuts both ways.

I could even understand it if Garth's only concern was piracy, but he seems not to get the value of music portability (carrying an iPod the size of a cassette is much easier than even an album of CD's), or the appeal of customizability. Mix tapes pre-date the digital world anyway, so it seems rather pointless to resist them at this point. Just the other night, I made a playlist in my iTunes library of Garth songs appropriate for an insomniac. And Garth? I bought all the CD's brand new--even double-dipping for both boxed sets. And if you want to get into the nitty gritty, how about including a 12-track version of The Lost Sessions in your second boxed set just three months before issuing a 17-track standalone version?

wimpy77
10-17-2009, 03:27 AM
muchtooyoung is correct in a alot of ways, but here's where it gets sticky. songwriters have been complaining since itunes came out because it's hard for them to get their royalities and some have had to fight tooth and nail to get it. this isn't the services fault its the labels being themselves, which are crooks. they want to take every dollar they can and they do. garth is like gene simmons in a way. he wants the same model he grew up with and that has worked for him for 20+ years.

garth is a catolgue artist he wants the entire body of work to speak what he has done. with itunes and other services most people dont buy the entire catalog. they cherry pick wha they want. artists like garth dont want it they will fight tooth and nail before they have to go with the flow. he talks about unionizing the music industry i think its time, but he better be careful if you bite the hand that feeds you its gonna hurt. ask metallica.

Emerald Isle
10-18-2009, 01:05 AM
garth is a catolgue artist he wants the entire body of work to speak what he has done. with itunes and other services most people dont buy the entire catalog. they cherry pick wha they want.

True, but how is that any different from buying The Ultimate Hits? Isn't that pretty much the same thing? Why is it any different to cherry pick just his hits there and not on itunes? Is it just because it's on a CD? I'm sorry, but I don't see that as persuasive.

I once heard Garth argue that one of his reasons against iTunes is because he's afraid that some people would just buy the hits and skip over some of his favorite deep tracks like "Wolves."

Again, I guess I don't see any difference between buying The Ultimate Hits (which, by the way, does NOT have "Wolves"), and buying just those same hits on itunes.

While I respect Garth's opinion that itunes is hurting the music industry, I feel there's a pretty good argument that it's actually SAVING the music industry. Illegal downloading is way too easy these days. I think that MOST people do not WANT to steal music, but I also think that many of those same people got sick and tired of paying upwards of $15-$20 (in the late 90's and early 2000's) for a single CD just for a few songs. Even today, paying $10 for a CD may seem a bit much just to get that one song you heard in a commercial or on the radio. $1, on the other hand, now that's reasonable. Without that option, I think most would just download that one song illegally, or worse, skip it altogether.

Garth may be a whole-album kind of guy, but those days are gone and will never come back... like it or not, whether musicians unionize or not, and, sadly, whether Garth decides to join the 21st century or not. Just my 2 cents!

wimpy77
10-18-2009, 01:33 AM
True, but how is that any different from buying The Ultimate Hits? Isn't that pretty much the same thing? Why is it any different to cherry pick just his hits there and not on itunes? Is it just because it's on a CD? I'm sorry, but I don't see that as persuasive.

I once heard Garth argue that one of his reasons against iTunes is because he's afraid that some people would just buy the hits and skip over some of his favorite deep tracks like "Wolves."

Again, I guess I don't see any difference between buying The Ultimate Hits (which, by the way, does NOT have "Wolves"), and buying just those same hits on itunes.

While I respect Garth's opinion that itunes is hurting the music industry, I feel there's a pretty good argument that it's actually SAVING the music industry. Illegal downloading is way too easy these days. I think that MOST people do not WANT to steal music, but I also think that many of those same people got sick and tired of paying upwards of $15-$20 (in the late 90's and early 2000's) for a single CD just for a few songs. Even today, paying $10 for a CD may seem a bit much just to get that one song you heard in a commercial or on the radio. $1, on the other hand, now that's reasonable. Without that option, I think most would just download that one song illegally, or worse, skip it altogether.

Garth may be a whole-album kind of guy, but those days are gone and will never come back... like it or not, whether musicians unionize or not, and, sadly, whether Garth decides to join the 21st century or not. Just my 2 cents!

i agree with you the ol days are gone. garth can either accept it or get lost in the shuffle. it also may be an age thing with him. like her or not taylor swift gets it. we are in a tech age and either you're with it or against it. right now garth is against it. how long he can remain that way i dont know.

musicians have tried to unionize and its failed. musicians are ego maniacs and want to serve their own purposes. i like said if they do unionize and say to radio or whom ever we are pulling our songs. fans will kill em for it. labels can do something about the piracy, hire hackers to patrol the downloading sites and install viruses onto the files. if your computer gets screwed you'll learn the lesson. of course they're legal recourses.

Mr_Sevens
10-18-2009, 04:23 AM
I usually would say "never say never" when it comes to Garth...

but when it comes to Garth and iTunes...I'm going to say never.

Garth_FANtasizer
10-18-2009, 07:22 AM
Garth has three teenagers at home. I'm sure they download the music they want. If anybody is going to influence his decision, it will be his girls.

~Ann~

txtknogk
10-18-2009, 12:50 PM
All this about iTunes is great, but it is possible to put that CD that he will be more than happy to sell to you on your iPod!! His daughters have surely taught him that also!! My iPod is filled with a combo of the music that I have collected on CD over the years and the new music that my daughter synchs onto it. My students are amazed at my eclectic combo-from the beloved Garth to my fav Meatloaf to Puff Daddy to Canadian Brass to AVB to Marilyn Manson!! Sometimes I think they love my iPod as much as I do!!!!! It gets as much of a workout during my computer classes as it does after school hours!!!!!

Emerald Isle
10-18-2009, 04:59 PM
I usually would say "never say never" when it comes to Garth...

but when it comes to Garth and iTunes...I'm going to say never.

Unless the day comes 5-10 years from now that CD's are no longer available in any ordinary retail setting (Best But, WalMart, Target, etc.).

Then he may be forced to.

Imagine if Zeppelin, the Beatles, or Elvis had refused to release their music on anything but vinyl. How many fans would they still have today? Oh sure there'd be some. But I guess the real question is how many NEW fans would they have gotten?

If Garth truly wants to make everything that came before seem "small," he's going to have to put his marketing genius to work to figure out how to make itunes work for him. Otherwise, his ability to win new fans will be severely diminished.

Mr_Sevens
10-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Unless the day comes 5-10 years from now that CD's are no longer available in any ordinary retail setting (Best But, WalMart, Target, etc.).

Then he may be forced to.

Imagine if Zeppelin, the Beatles, or Elvis had refused to release their music on anything but vinyl. How many fans would they still have today? Oh sure there'd be some. But I guess the real question is how many NEW fans would they have gotten?

If Garth truly wants to make everything that came before seem "small," he's going to have to put his marketing genius to work to figure out how to make itunes work for him. Otherwise, his ability to win new fans will be severely diminished.

Comparing CDs and vinyl to CDs and digital downloads isn't a legitimate comparison. And I believe it will be much much longer than 5-10 for CDs to be taken out of the marketplace. In fact, I don't believe they will ever completely go away.

Candi<3GB
10-19-2009, 01:07 AM
I have no idea if this is true or just a rumor but I saw where someone 'tweeted' that "itunes is going country for the moment......Garth Brooks-If Tomorrow Never Comes." Make of this what you will. Like I said, I don't know if it's true. I just saw it on twitter and thought I would share.

Mr_Sevens
10-19-2009, 04:17 AM
I have no idea if this is true or just a rumor but I saw where someone 'tweeted' that "itunes is going country for the moment......Garth Brooks-If Tomorrow Never Comes." Make of this what you will. Like I said, I don't know if it's true. I just saw it on twitter and thought I would share.

I'm 99% sure that this was just someone saying they were playing iTunes on shuffle and that was the song that came up.

MuchTooYoung
10-19-2009, 05:09 AM
It's interesting that wimpy77 noted Taylor Swift and her management of her career to date. I was in the camp that expected her to be just another flash in the pan, but have been very impressed by how she has done something very unique: She's a teenage girl whose fan base began as her peers but has expanded. She writes or co-writes her own material, and what impresses me even more is that, so far, she hasn't tried to do any songs that are beyond her own experiences. She just had a hit about a 15 year old girl struggling with high school dating drama, and it worked because it was "real."

And you know what? Taylor Swift has been very willing to put out digital singles of remixes, EPs and other output between albums. (For that matter, she's re-issued both her albums so far with expanded material!) What this business model does is keep new product out between full albums. When she's ready for a new album, her audience is waiting with baited breath for its release date. And to make sure her fans don't grow bored wearing out her album within a week of its release, she's got these digital releases to pepper in along the way.

Personally, I see this being the standard going forward. Sometimes an artist just has a few songs; not enough to build an album around, but they want to get them out there. The digital world allows for this. And say what you want about over-exposure hurting an artist's viability, but I don't see the ubiquity of Elvis, Cash or Willie CD's that flood the market getting in the way of new fans discovering them every day. For that matter, not only does Willie release a new album about every six weeks, but he's started selling them digitally on his own website! And that's in addition to the digital recordings of his concerts he's been selling for a few years now.

I know someone once told Garth that keeping things limited was the way to ensure continued fan excitement, and I think perhaps Garth has misunderstood how to use the digital world to achieve that. And not to draw us into a comparison of the two, but I was very aware that Best Buy prominently featured Taylor Swift's album in their flyer the week that The Ultimate Hits was released. This is only significant for two reasons: 1) Swift's album had already been out and 2) both CD's were produced by Big Machine Records, meaning that someone had more confidence in re-selling Swift's debut a year later than they had in Garth's first non-Walmart release since 2001.