PDA

View Full Version : So, I have a question...

crazyCAgirl
05-15-2009, 10:19 PM
I don't get in here much, so forgive me if this has been talked about before. As I was perusing the forums today, something crossed my mind. I'm curious how many people here are from the "old" days. Anyone that were Fan Club members when it was around? Attended any of the Fan Club parties during Fan Fair? It'd be fun to share stories. I go back a ways, and actually attended the last party he had. I'd love to share the pics if anyone's interested. I even kept my Fan Club card.

Anyone else?

Paula
05-15-2009, 10:30 PM
I came late to the party - 1993 - and his fan club had already disbanded at that time. I did subscribe to the Believer Magazine and had to get about a year's worth of back issues but was able to complete the set.

My first visit to Fan Fair was in 1996, and that was the year I met Garth during the marathon autograph session that took place.

We'd love to have you post any pictures you're willing to share.

I assume you're from California...did you go to any of the LA shows last January?

Paula

Skywise
05-16-2009, 12:27 PM
hmm.. Me, I arrived not too late party wise (1991 spring into summer was when I discovered Garth). I did sub. to the believer mag as well (the fan club was discontinued by the time I tried applying but I did have a believer sub.) I've not been to any fan fair type of meetings though Id have wanted to -its hard to get from colorado to TN on a whim :D and go...

online wise, I started w/ the AOL message boards about Garth, was there, and then was also on the garthbox newsletter. That morphed into alt.music.garth-brooks and from there, I discovered the planet, etc. I think I joined PG right around the time of scarecrow's release (and immediately got myself in some trouble w/ people about my views!). I joined as well the alternate GB site (which shall remain nameless) but that has fizzled largely.

I'd love to see old pics, etc.. as well as hear some stories.. . I know I have my copy of 'friends in net places'

Maggie526
05-16-2009, 06:05 PM
I didn't get to any Fan Fairs either but I would enjoy hearing your stories and seeing your pics crazy girl :)

gbkubfan
05-16-2009, 06:41 PM
I was in fan club, got the Believer Magazines, was a part of the AOL garthboard until I moved to LA from Sacramento, was on Planet Garth and then wasn't on for awhile and forgot my log in code I wonder if garthfandr is still around...LOL...met some great gals on AOL Board and got to meet them at Leno a few times, even did the star on birthday...never went to fan fair since I don't like to fly. I remember sleeping outside Tower Records to get tickets to the concert back in the early 90's. Got to see him with the Judds and Pirates of the Mississippi if I remember right. Memories...LOL

kissncry
05-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Ooooh, new (to me at least) pics and stories! :D Yes, please! :)

Sherry

crazyCAgirl
05-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Sorry-busy weekend, so first time I've had to check for replies. Thank you for all your responses. I'll make it my goal for this week to get the pictures posted from the Fan Club party, and to tell the tale. I also have pictures of my friend and I standing at the gate of the house he was living in at the time. (we missed him that day by minutes!!)

I am from California, and my friends and I did make it to the last concert in LA. It was so incredible to see him again-it'd been so long. None of the people I went with had ever seen him before, and they were all blown away. It was an incredible night.

I'll be back later in the week.

crazyCAgirl
05-18-2009, 12:21 AM
gbkubfan, I also spent a night in front of Tower Records in the 90's to get Garth tickets. You weren't at the one in Concord, were you? I remember the first people in line had been there for 2 weeks. The big hit at that time was "Achy Breaky Heart" and someone in line insisted on playing it over, and over and over-about drove us crazy.

Candi<3GB
05-18-2009, 12:24 AM
Sorry-busy weekend, so first time I've had to check for replies. Thank you for all your responses. I'll make it my goal for this week to get the pictures posted from the Fan Club party, and to tell the tale.

I'll be back later in the week.

Good, I can't wait. I've never had the chance to see him it concert or meet him so I live vicariously through everyone else's stories. Hopefully I'll be able to meet/see him in the future!! **fingers crossed**