PDA

View Full Version : "The Change" & "The Fever" controversial??!!

tigb2
11-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Ok, so I was just reading through the transcript of "The Garth Brooks Story" from 1996, & it says that "The Change" was "a bit controversial" & that "The Fever" "sparked a fire of controversy when it was released".

What was so controversial about those songs?

Thanks in advance

Susan, M.A.
11-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Ok, so I was just reading through the transcript of "The Garth Brooks Story" from 1996, & it says that "The Change" was "a bit controversial" & that "The Fever" "sparked a fire of controversy when it was released".

What was so controversial about those songs?

Thanks in advance

Hmmm..well, I am not sure why "Fever" was so controversial in 1996. It is a very high energy song. While watching it on The Ultimate Hits DVD, I saw two or three women pass out...
Susan

Skywise
11-25-2008, 05:29 PM
hmm- I can say this much-

I think I remember hearing something about Garth doing Fever, since it was a cover of an aerosmith song... Though the lyrics were changed, etc. I know there were some in country radio who thought the song wasn't country at all.. I loved it myself..

re: The Change- maybe w/ the timing of the video's release and the song being about the OK bombing perhaps... w/ the footage.. elsewise, I do know that the AMA's that year (I think, in 1996) were where Garth turned down the artist of the year award w/ some 'we're all a lesser music' excuse (later found out to be if I remember correctly, a false one- as he'd thought that hootie and the blowfish had sold FAR more albums, etc. and were deserving of the award)

but other than that? dont' know myself... :D

YouSoundBitter
11-26-2008, 05:09 AM
It was the AMA's and he (and Sandy) later said HOOTIE should've one. Cracked Rear View and The Hits ruled the charts and sales that year they got nods but HOOTIE was out there busting their butt touring and GB took that year off (95').

I think THE FEVER controvsial thing was that Aerosmith's version was a pretty nasty and like Skywise said, not very country to some radio program directors.

I've never heard or thought of THE CHANGE being controversial though...huh...

dwayne