PDA

View Full Version : Quote said by Garth several years ago...

luvsgarth62
09-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Guys,

In 'Country America' back in 1991, Garth said something like, 'I grew up in a family that never went to church, but knew that all good things come from the Lord. In no way, could I ever tie a good Christian's shoelaces'. Something to that effect. That is interesting. Is that like, he doesn't think he is or was worthy, or like, a Christian is really high up there. Cause we're all sinners, just cause someone's a Christian, doesn't make them any better than anyone else. It's just that we try to live a life that shows Jesus in us.

-Alicia

iriscrazy
09-09-2008, 11:26 AM
I think that he was saying that he's not worthy. Garth does not put people down.
I have it from a very reliable source that he attends church with his family as often as possible.

luvsgarth62
09-09-2008, 01:09 PM
I didn't mean that he was putting people down, he'd never do that. I just thought the comment was kind of 'not deserving' or something. We all know how humble Garth is. BTW, I heard from someone, that they thought that Garth and Trisha were Baptist. Is that true? I'd love to hear Garth talk about his religious views and all.

-Alicia

iriscrazy
09-09-2008, 02:12 PM
I think that religion and politics are not allowed here, however I have heard from a reliable source that he attends a Baptist church.
I don't remember reading the quote that you mentioned.
All I know for sure is that the man is the most kind and considerate person that I've met in a long time. At the BOK he was down on his knees talking to the kids, asking how old they are, what grade are they in, where do they go to school? The best shot that I got of him was with a group of kids and he's just beaming like a proud father. The man is just good through and through.
His Mom and Dad did a great job of raising him however they did it.

luvsgarth62
09-09-2008, 03:25 PM
I hope I get that lucky and get to meet him someday. It's been a dream of mine to meet him for so long. Who knows, dreams can come true.

-Alicia

iriscrazy
09-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Alicia, I hope so too. Dreams do come true. Just believe and work toward the goal.

murphy3
10-16-2008, 03:06 PM
It's a good thing that religion and politics aren't allowed...we all know that Garth believes in neither of the two...

Monakayla
10-16-2008, 06:39 PM
I think that religion and politics are not allowed here, however I have heard from a reliable source that he attends a Baptist church.
All I know for sure is that the man is the most kind and considerate person that I've met in a long time. At the BOK he was down on his knees talking to the kids, asking how old they are, what grade are they in, where do they go to school? The best shot that I got of him was with a group of kids and he's just beaming like a proud father. The man is just good through and through.

Cute story. Sounds like Garth. He is a cool guy and he certainly loves kids!

-Monica

YouSoundBitter
10-17-2008, 08:34 AM
He does BELIEVE in GOD, not religion, as it should be. Politicians are just thieves that need God.

Garthmedic
10-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Chill out, folks. Discuss whatever you like. Be civil and don't debate it.

murphy3
10-19-2008, 05:15 PM
no debate?.. seriously?

Garthmedic
10-20-2008, 01:57 AM
Seriously.

This is a Garth Brook site, not a political site. Nobody here can speak for Garth's views on politics, so I cannot see a reason for us to attempt to do so.

I have been a PG member for 3 Presidential elections (so far), and I can assure you from experience that political debate on PG merely breeds anger and discontent.

This is a place to talk about Garth, music, your family, funny things, etc...

Debating politicians and their views is best done elsewhere.

Thanks!

Skywise
10-20-2008, 09:39 AM
bitter- we're all thieves that need God, when you truly look at it...

re: Garth and religion: I'd love to hear him talk more about his faith in God too- I know that his mentioning of God was one of the things that first drew me to his music as I was newly a Christian at the time that I became exposed to Garth's music, and gravitated at the time to Unanswered Prayers..

I know he's mentioned "with God all things are possible" in one iteratiion in most of if not all of his recording liner notes...

I don't know what denomination Garth is, if any. I don't KNOW for certain that he is a Christian- no one can truly KNOW that w/o speaking to Garth.. Dang though, tis something I'd love to talk with him about, ya know?

murphy3
10-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Seriously.

This is a Garth Brook site, not a political site. Nobody here can speak for Garth's views on politics, so I cannot see a reason for us to attempt to do so.

I have been a PG member for 3 Presidential elections (so far), and I can assure you from experience that political debate on PG merely breeds anger and discontent.

This is a place to talk about Garth, music, your family, funny things, etc...

Debating politicians and their views is best done elsewhere.

Thanks!

Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Garthmedic
10-20-2008, 12:26 PM
LOL.. It was posted on a Sunday.

Sounds like somebody doesn't like to take the moderators seriously.

Perhaps you could take this to private messaging?

jturtels
10-20-2008, 10:40 PM
As far as the politics go..the original question was about religion right?...and it was Garth related right? Speak on!

Skywise
10-20-2008, 11:43 PM
good point really- the only 'political' mentioning was bitter in post 9 and spud in post 12

YouSoundBitter
10-22-2008, 01:33 AM
I was just going off of post #7 and what Murphy said. I agree, this is no place to talk politics. GB has never talked on politics, HOWEVER, he has talking alot about GOD and religion (without going into much detail on which one he believes).

murphy3
10-22-2008, 02:53 AM
LOL.. It was posted on a Sunday.

Sounds like somebody doesn't like to take the moderators seriously.

Perhaps you could take this to private messaging?

Nope, I prefer discussing things in an open forum. But thanks.

Garthmedic
10-22-2008, 03:50 AM
You are quite welcome.

Good to see the thread back on track :)

Susan, M.A.
10-22-2008, 12:55 PM

I agree 100 percent!
;) Susan

luvsgarth62
10-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Hey guys,

I wasn't aware that this had become such a heated discussion! I guess I really shouldn't have been surprised. Anytime you talk about religion or politics, it's touchy because they're both really personal subjects. I know that Garth's a Christian, because in articles I've read about how Garth and his famiy go to church and all. But like Joyce Meyer says : "Just because you go to church, it doesn't make you a Christian anymore than sitting in a garage makes you a car." I love that quote, and it's absolutely true!

-Alicia

Skywise
10-22-2008, 05:24 PM
amen to that alicia- all that going to church would make Garth or anyone for that matter is a 'church goer'.. being a Christian is a whole other ball game

luvsgarth62
10-22-2008, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't have any idea if Garth is a Christian, but I could see where he has a relationship with Jesus, just from the way he talks and his songs. The only way we'll know is if he comes out and says it.

-Alicia

luvsgarth62
10-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Guys,

It just hit me last night. In Matthew 3:11, John the Baptist said in reference to Jesus, "I am not worthy to take off His sandals..." So, I guess I understand now what Garth meant. Duh! Somtimes it just takes other stuff to help you understand :)

-Alicia