PDA

View Full Version : Obama should use this video

Brett Dale
09-08-2008, 01:09 AM
http://mediasportandotherrantings.blogspot.com/2008/09/obama-and-democratic-convention.html

G-f
09-08-2008, 02:01 AM
Gosh I hope not, wouldn't want to degrade Garth's song. Just my opinion..........

Garth_FANtasizer
09-08-2008, 06:14 AM
Thanks for posting this. The person who put that together did a great job! Garth would be proud.

~Ann~

kissncry
09-08-2008, 06:17 AM
When this world's big enough for all different views......

Sherry

Maggie526
09-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Great find Brett thank you for posting it.
When the last thing we notice is the color of skin…
When there’s only one race and that’s mankind…
WSBF
I think Garth would appove.

Skywise
09-08-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm sure Garth would approve Maggie- I'd wager (cant' be sure) that he's an obama supporter....

it's a great song, put out there in support of a candidate who is definitely NOT what this country needs in the white house..

NOBAMA

Paula
09-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Let's keep the politics out of this and keep it related to the use of the song.

Paula

Skywise
09-08-2008, 06:27 PM
I agree we should paula, but when a candidate for president is using the song as teh backdrop for an ad or video, then it's not the song we're discussing by itself- by itself, WSBF is an awesome song...

just sharing my opinion...

Maggie526
09-08-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm sure Garth would approve Maggie- I'd wager (cant' be sure) that he's an obama supporter....

it's a great song, put out there in support of a candidate who is definitely NOT what this country needs in the white house..

NOBAMA

Scott
I do not know nor do I care who Garth or any one else supports in the Presidental race. I think that whoever put Garth's WSBF song to the video did a nice job and that maybe Garth would be happy to see his song in this video.

MuchTooYoung
09-08-2008, 07:47 PM
If this is a fan-made video, then there is nothing that can legitimately be read into it as far as Garth's political leanings. If it is something that was officially made by the Obama campaign, then either they properly licensed the song for that purpose (in which case Garth signed off on it, indicating an approval of its use) or they failed to do so (in which case either Garth will seek to stop the use of the video or not--either choice, again, indicating his position). For what it's worth, I can find no evidence on opensecrets.org that Garth has donated any money to either campaign.

Skywise
09-08-2008, 10:49 PM
maggie- I dont know either (I did say can't be sure ;) ) but it's just a feeling... I could very easily be wrong..

it's a great song- but the use of it is I don't think good....

Maggie526
09-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Scott I could be wrong but I think this is a video made by an Obama supporter that posted it on youtube using Garth's WSBF as background music. Obama or Garth may not even know that it exists :)
I do think that this video with that song is something that Garth would approve of WSBF is the perfect background for that video. just my opinion

Skywise
09-09-2008, 01:25 AM
fair nough maggie, we all can have our opinions :)

I do think that the video is something Garth would prob. approve of.. whether or not I like the 'candidate' involved..

Maggie526
09-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Shaking my head @Scott.
Our opinions regarding Garth and his music.. not our political views.

Mr_Sevens
09-09-2008, 03:18 PM
That's beautiful. Two great men.

welli
10-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Gosh I hope not, wouldn't want to degrade Garth's song. Just my opinion..........

I have to agree but it has nothing to do with the candidate. WSBF is Garths veiws, Garths words and Garths song and for someone to use this song or video for their own political gain would not set well with me. Just my opinion

Big hey to ya all, havent posted on here for years...nice to be back.

MuchTooYoung
10-02-2008, 08:54 PM
I have to agree but it has nothing to do with the candidate. WSBF is Garths veiws, Garths words and Garths song and for someone to use this song or video for their own political gain would not set well with me. Just my opinion

Big hey to ya all, havent posted on here for years...nice to be back.

Has it not occured to those of you who vehemently object to the idea of Obama using WSBF that Garth's song--which is at least as much Stephanie Davis's song as it is Garth's--might mean something to him, too? What kind of a mentality says, "This song--about believing in the best of humanity's ability to overcome the worst of humanity--is inspiring and wonderful. No one should use it to express a political belief!" Those beliefs expressed in the song are exactly the kinds of things I for one WANT someone seeking political office to believe in. Again, there is no evidence that Barack Obama himself, or even his actual campaign, had anything to do with the video that started this thread. I just don't understand why so many fans say they love the song, believe in its message, but are dead set against someone running for office being associated with the song and its message.

Sorry to go off so much on this, but there is an idea that so many people have that is nothing more than either "Politics suck, talk about something else" or "My party's good, your party's all that's wrong with this country" and both mentalities light me up. Politics, simply put, is the way that people express their values, their wants and their needs, and work to act in a way that conforms to their values and meets their wants and needs. By refusing to even discuss issues, all we accomplish is giving up our own voice. By saying only one party is right about everything and one wrong about everything, all we accomplish is to give our voice to a chorus we are not directing. I'm not sure which is worse, or more offensive, but they both make me want to slap people.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a vice presidential debate to watch.

Garthmedic
10-03-2008, 12:33 AM
**Quietly walks up to the PG moderator lectern**

Greetings, fellow Garth fans across the world. I would first like to spend a few moments spelling out my economic recovery plan- err, wait.

On a serious note, I have been paying very close attention to this thread, hoping very much that it would stay civil. Obviously, emotions run high when it comes to politics- especially when a huge election is upon us (here in the United States). So far, this thread has been on the border, and I am stepping in here to keep it from falling into the depths of PG lock down.

This is a GARTH BROOKS forum. It is here that we discuss Garth Brooks. I can see the correlation of the song and the political undertones. I understand the compelling reasons to discuss it.

Let me be blunt: You are free to discuss the song, video and how it relates to the candidates. HOWEVER, there will be no partisan politics here on the Garth Brooks forum. We will not debate the candidates here. There are other forums for that.

Trust me on this one folks, I have been around here a long time. This will be the third presidential election that has come along in my tenure. I have seen how ugly it can become. Political discussion breeds anger, discontent and hard feelings.

Garth's music crosses these political divisions and unites us. It is what we here at PG believe in. Let's not turn on each other.

I am pretty sure that is what garth would want.

Thank you.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled PG fix.

--spud--:)
PG Moderator

welli
10-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Has it not occured to those of you who vehemently object to the idea of Obama using WSBF that Garth's song--which is at least as much Stephanie Davis's song as it is Garth's--might mean something to him, too? What kind of a mentality says, "This song--about believing in the best of humanity's ability to overcome the worst of humanity--is inspiring and wonderful. No one should use it to express a political belief!" Those beliefs expressed in the song are exactly the kinds of things I for one WANT someone seeking political office to believe in. Again, there is no evidence that Barack Obama himself, or even his actual campaign, had anything to do with the video that started this thread. I just don't understand why so many fans say they love the song, believe in its message, but are dead set against someone running for office being associated with the song and its message.

Sorry to go off so much on this, but there is an idea that so many people have that is nothing more than either "Politics suck, talk about something else" or "My party's good, your party's all that's wrong with this country" and both mentalities light me up. Politics, simply put, is the way that people express their values, their wants and their needs, and work to act in a way that conforms to their values and meets their wants and needs. By refusing to even discuss issues, all we accomplish is giving up our own voice. By saying only one party is right about everything and one wrong about everything, all we accomplish is to give our voice to a chorus we are not directing. I'm not sure which is worse, or more offensive, but they both make me want to slap people.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a vice presidential debate to watch.

Boy, guess I picked the wrong topic to jump in. I didnt mention a party or candidate.. just my opinion about ( if ) the video were used in a political campaign. Sorry if I offended anyone

Skywise
10-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Welli-

I would'nt worry too much- while it's a hotly contested time '(the election)' on all sides.....

Garth's somewhat of a constant..

speaking for myself, btw- at least as someone who's read and particip. in this thread- you didn't upset me at least..

MuchTooYoung
10-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Boy, guess I picked the wrong topic to jump in. I didnt mention a party or candidate.. just my opinion about ( if ) the video were used in a political campaign. Sorry if I offended anyone

Nonsense! There's never a wrong topic to jump into. I disagree with the idea that no one should use WSBF (or any other song, I suppose) to express a political ideology. I would just as quickly said the exact same thing had this been about McCain using WSBF, or any other politician with any other song. If it seemed like that entire previous post was directed solely at you--or even specifically at you--then I am sincerely sorry that I failed to make it clear that was more intended for people in general, rather than any particular post.

I think we're mostly in agreement about the song itself--Stephanie Davis & Garth Brooks wrote a song that really represents how many of us would describe our own social ideals. I, for one, was disappointed that The Ultimate Hits did not include an updated video for that song as we were told it would. If nothing else, I think Jay Leno deserves a chance to record something a little less Saturday morning PSA-ish than "Wise up, stay in school." That has always been my least favorite part about the whole video. Well, that and the fact that Garth looks like he was just rescued after a month in the mountains, but these are entirely beside the point of the thread. ;)

For what it's worth, I entirely agree that there are other forums better suited to discussing politics. I do, however, disagree with any comprehensive ban on the topic from this forum. In this instance, for example, I think it makes perfect sense for Garth Brooks fans to discuss their feelings about a Garth Brooks song used to promote a candidate's campaign. On occasion, Garth has testified before Congress on music industry related issues, and were he to do so again, I would consider that a perfectly acceptable topic for discussion in this forum. I subscribe to several different forums for different reasons, and I have to tell you that the PG members are among my favorite because they are generally friendly and polite. I see no reason to pursue the subject of politics for its own purpose, and am content to let this subject die, having already said what I wish to say and having already heard what I suspect most forum members have to say.

Garthmedic
10-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Hi guys and gals.

I want to make sure y'all understand where I am going with this.

It does not bother us for someone to say, "xxxx should use this video in his campaign" That's fine!

What we like to avoid is having someone then jump in and say something to the effect of, "XXX voted 8 times against (fill in the blank here)!!"

From there, it perpetuates and spirals downhill.

Yes, Garth has appeared with political figures. Yes, he has sang in front of Presidents. However, we do not know his political views, and honestly, I don't think we should care. It's about his music- and how it touches each of us.

If John McCain used it in a video, or Barack Obama used it- it would not mean anything other than they believe in the powerful lyrics.

Discussion is great. Debate is not permitted.

For what it's worth, I entirely agree that there are other forums better suited to discussing politics. I do, however, disagree with any comprehensive ban on the topic from this forum. In this instance, for example, I think it makes perfect sense for Garth Brooks fans to discuss their feelings about a Garth Brooks song used to promote a candidate's campaign. On occasion, Garth has testified before Congress on music industry related issues, and were he to do so again, I would consider that a perfectly acceptable topic for discussion in this forum.

There is no 'comprehensive ban' on politics. Only debate.

I hope that clears things up.

Skywise
10-03-2008, 06:44 PM
oof- here's where I stick my neck out....

Hi guys and gals.

I want to make sure y'all understand where I am going with this.

It does not bother us for someone to say, "xxxx should use this video in his campaign" That's fine!

What we like to avoid is having someone then jump in and say something to the effect of, "XXX voted 8 times against (fill in the blank here)!!"
unfortunately without the controlling of the first video, such a comment is almost certain in some respects....

From there, it perpetuates and spirals downhill. that I agree with- no matter the side or the candidate

Yes, Garth has appeared with political figures. Yes, he has sang in front of Presidents. However, we do not know his political views, and honestly, I don't think we should care. It's about his music- and how it touches each of us. again- well said.. (though I still think I know his leanings... it's just a hunch :D)

If John McCain used it in a video, or Barack Obama used it- it would not mean anything other than they believe in the powerful lyrics.

Discussion is great. Debate is not permitted. some would say they're almost interchangeable, ya know.. ;)

There is no 'comprehensive ban' on politics. Only debate. only political debate? religious debate? garth debate? music debate?

I hope that clears things up.

not terribly, but I see the points, and heck- I agree even in many ways...

Garthmedic
10-03-2008, 07:56 PM
If you need further explanation, please call. You have my number.

Skywise
10-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Nah- never mind- I'm changing my post.. it is not worth anything that comes up...

Ireland-&-Back
10-23-2008, 07:46 AM
This is clearly a hot topic, and there's no way I'm wading into the details of it.

But, let me say this.

As a foreign observer, and someone who will no doubt feel the influence of whomever becomes the next "Leader of the Free World", any POTUS who subscribes to the views that "When the last man dies for just words that he said, When the last thing we notice is the color of skin, When this world's big enough for all different views, When we all can worship from our own kind of pew, And nobody walks a step behind, We shall be free." is getting off to a good start with me.

Now go and vote, it'll make you feel big and strong :)

Susan, M.A.
10-23-2008, 07:58 AM
I am not sure; perhaps I have somehow look up an old thread...(I am kinda new, remember?)
Things are heating up as November approaches...however, I really come on this site
to enjoy talking about Garth...
Thanks,
Susan ;)