PDA

View Full Version : Garth Brooks Butter Sculpture

karik
08-19-2008, 05:58 PM
This past week the Iowa State Fair was held, and I went(as I do every year), but this year I visited the museum, and there's a whole bunch or stuff there, but one thing I had to share with you, and that is the butter sculpture of Garth Brooks from 1994. Now, if you don't know, every year at the Iowa State Fair, there are some butter scultures done for the fair and are placed in a refrigerated section of the agriculture building. Every year there is a butter cow, time and time again, bit they also do 1 or 2 others especially for the year. This year it was a sculpture or Shawn Johnson, the Olympic gymnast from Des Moines. So apparently, in 1994, the year special was Garth Brooks. It was made by Duffy Lyon, who was the third butter sculpter in line. She did this until 2004(I think)Now all the sculptures are done by a new girl, Sarah Pratt. I have attached some pictures of the sculpture as it appeared in the museum.

karik
08-19-2008, 06:01 PM
This picture is not mine, but is from the Iowa State Fair website- http://www.iowastatefair.com/about/historical13.php
and is the only full photo I can find.

Skywise
08-19-2008, 06:08 PM
hehe- I remember Garth going on Leno, and talking about it with Jay (briefly, briefly).. Jay had his own "garth" butter sculpture... :D

kissncry
08-19-2008, 06:12 PM
I bet Garth would say the same thing I would. "Pass the biscuits, please!" :D

Sherry

Skywise
08-19-2008, 06:14 PM
**shakes head*** lol

karik
08-19-2008, 06:15 PM
It says on the website that the 600lb. butter cow can butter 19,200 slices of toast, I'm not sure how much this sculpture weighed, but it could butter a whole lotta' biscuits!!

Maggie526
08-20-2008, 12:03 AM
This past week the Iowa State Fair was held, and I went(as I do every year), but this year I visited the museum, and there's a whole bunch or stuff there, but one thing I had to share with you, and that is the butter sculpture of Garth Brooks from 1994. Now, if you don't know, every year at the Iowa State Fair, there are some butter scultures done for the fair and are placed in a refrigerated section of the agriculture building. Every year there is a butter cow, time and time again, bit they also do 1 or 2 others especially for the year. This year it was a sculpture or Shawn Johnson, the Olympic gymnast from Des Moines. So apparently, in 1994, the year special was Garth Brooks. It was made by Duffy Lyon, who was the third butter sculpter in line. She did this until 2004(I think)Now all the sculptures are done by a new girl, Sarah Pratt. I have attached some pictures of the sculpture as it appeared in the museum.

I saw the Shawn Johnson sculpture on TV but I didn't know there was a Garth one :)
Thanks Karik!!
BTW Shawn won a gold medal today!!!

karik
08-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Well the Garth one was 13 years ago.

vegitoth
08-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Bill Engvall talked about that same butter sculpture on his first album. If anybody's got that record you guys may know what I'm talking about

Skywise
08-22-2008, 07:12 PM
hehe- I do! it was a great album, and a great part ( one of the first tracks, about state fair)

karik
08-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Bill Engvall talked about that same butter sculpture on his first album. If anybody's got that record you guys may know what I'm talking about
I have a greatest hits album that has that on it. It's weird because I've listened to it before, but I guess I never really listened, or let it sink in to look it up.

shmlss4gb
08-27-2008, 12:43 PM
This sculpture is the answer to a Trivial Pursuit question too, in case anyone plays it :-).