PDA

View Full Version : Could Garth Pull It Off? LA Memorial Coliseum

lucaswynne
03-30-2008, 03:15 PM
So... I was thinking, what would be the concert to end all concerts?

Then the news broke that the Dodgers had sold out the LA Memorial Coliseum with 115,000 people.

My question is, do you think Garth could pull it off? Check out the picture of this place:
http://www.jgminc.com/Images/Civic/Memorial_Col/Memorial_Col%20copy.jpg

I don't think he'd be able to do it for a paid concert, unless it would have been instead of his first string of return concerts. When he came out of retirement for a brief moment to do the concerts in the heartland, I think he could have just as well sold this place out in one night.

That would be pretty cool to see a huge Garth charity concert or maybe a farewell concert, if he ever says goodbye for good.

What are your thoughts on it?

Skywise
03-30-2008, 03:57 PM
hmm- could garth do it? yeah-. would he? I doubt it- he's done some good but has also done some bad to his fan base over the last few years. I just don't see 115,000+ showing up for a show- plus ya have to add in any staging, lighting, etc.

for a Huge show? as part of a tour etc, say the start of "Garth: The return to greatness 2014 tour, etc..?" possibly. After all, KISS did phenomenal business on their reunion tour- I've seen footage of some shows, and went to one (volunteered to work one) in denver. there were a lot of people, waiting to see them live. same w/ GArth-

he just has finished up KC and LA, etc. right now? no- won't happen- if absence makes the heart grow fonder? possibly- but I doubt it- too many variables

txtknogk
03-30-2008, 04:41 PM
I agree that now is not the time!! But now in 5 years, that is another story. Expecially is he would leave the ticket price resonable and tell all of us that only CA will get to buy tickets X number of the tickets!!!!!!!!! That will make all the rest of the country want them so bad that TicketMaster had better beef up their server!! How many of you were calling in for the Nov tickets even though you didn't live in the approved states? I'll admit that I was logged into three computers on three different IP addresses with my little fingers moving very fast!! It worked!! He put on additional shows. The same would work for this fantasy show!!

YouSoundBitter
03-30-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm not so sure, he did a heck of a job filling up Central Park, and that was in the middle of World Tour II. I'm sure if tickets were cheap enough and linked to a charity he sure could sell it out, though it won't be in 50 minutes like the other shows did...

dwayne

Skywise
03-30-2008, 09:26 PM
sorry dwayne but I beg to differ (as much as I'd love to see a sold out LA coliseum)

few things- Garth, in 1997, was arguably at his peak of the 90's if not just over it. He was one of if not the hottest performers around in ANY genre.

It was, as you said, in the MIDDLE of World Tour II. the middle of a 3 year tour that was very, VERY profitable-

Garth had old stuff and a new album (though not promoted/performed at all on this show due to the capitol mess) ready, and people were anxiously awaiting some new music that the KNEW was coming..

Central park was free. no admission- sure, you have the money made on any merch. or food, etc.. and who knows what else, but the concert itself was free- free is more affordable than 'cheap enough'

Nowadays- As much as we at PG love him (some more rabidly and physically minded than others! :D) and his music, and would prob. scarf up the tix.... the landscape musically has changed- Country music has changed, and not for the better- the whole musical industry is evolving- Garth's frankly acting almost like a roadblock there- but that's a diff. story...

Garth's popularity, despite his intermittent 'coming outs' of retirement for things like the boxed set, etc, has waned to an extent. There are some of music buying age now who dont' really remember a lot of Garth- heck, when Garth retired, those kids are now 7 years old and 6 years old... musically, I'd say there aren't AS many who remember his heyday... tix would be a harder sell..

There are too many variables, the last of whch is well, frankly Garth is older... and I don't think he'd be able at all to generate THAT many sales for a one night show- but I'd sure as shooting want to be wrong about that!

Monakayla
03-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Yes, Garth might be older, and even the posts here have come down since the KC and LA things, BUT... that is to be expected. I was at all five LA shows and they did have a young 20 something crowd there as well as the
30+ crowd. The place was electric and the magic was still very much there.
All those shows sold out in record time despite being off tour for 10 years.

I bet Garth will make some changes when he gets back to full tour status that will make the show even better. Once Garth does kick back into music gear, I guarantee there will be a huge market. We will all come back out of the woodworks along with another new generation of fans. Garth is not front and center right now because he's not trying to be. When he is ready, Garth will wake us all up from our hibernation! The man is a marketing genious, and he CAN live up to it too! That combination is tough to beat. There is noone who can beat him, not even the new "hot" acts. Garth is simply in his own league.

Rather than one big show with 115,000 people I would like more smaller 18,000 person shows. When a show is SOO big, I think it's not as cool. You are so far away that you can't really see much and the sound is not as good either. I like multipe shows at the the same venue and going to all the shows!
The more Garth, the better!

My friend and I went to our first concert since "Garthstock LA" on Friday. I won't say who we saw, but the opening acts were bad and so not worthy of the headliner's mega status. The crowd enjoyed the show, as did I once the headliner came on. I will say this: The venue seemed small, and the crowd seemed pretty dull to us. If I had seen this show before LA I would have liked it better, but now I am spoiled! There is just no act that can create that magic and that out of your mind experience that Garth can...there is only one GARTH!!!!!!!!!!

-Monica :)

Skywise
03-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Yes, Garth might be older, and even the posts here have come down since the KC and LA things, BUT... that is to be expected. I was at all five LA shows and they did have a young 20 something crowd there as well as the
30+ crowd. The place was electric and the magic was still very much there.
All those shows sold out in record time despite being off tour for 10 years. as they no doubt would have- absence makes the heart grow fonder, + you have those who have grown up since his retirement who now have people telling them about the legend that is/was a garth brooks show- all perfectly reasonable and plausible. even a young 20 something crowd though- still makes for someone who would have to have been listening to Garth when they were very young to get a lot more than a post fresh horses, 7's and Chris Gaines type of fandom (unless of course they were introduced to older stuff by a friend/relative- that's very possible...)

I bet Garth will make some changes when he gets back to full tour status that will make the show even better. I'm sure he will- what they will be is anyone's guess

Once Garth does kick back into music gear, I guarantee there will be a huge market. I hope there will- A long term guaranteed big market? who knows- a short term one? absolutely... that I can agree with-

We will all come back out of the woodworks along with another new generation of fans. not all will- I know I will, and I know a lot of PG will- it's impossible to say that we all will come out of the woodworks w/ a new generation, and be accurate- it IS a nice idea though...

Garth is not front and center right now because he's not trying to be. When he is ready, Garth will wake us all up from our hibernation! The man is a marketing genious, and he CAN live up to it too! That combination is tough to beat. There is noone who can beat him, not even the new "hot" acts. Garth is simply in his own league. absolutely- in that respect, he's very much well, elvis-like- I'd love to say you're right, but I don't know if the reality of what has happened in the last 7-8 years garth wise, combined w/ the realities of a digital music buying public, thrown together w/ technology and even stirred up with the uncertainty of the future can trump the fantasy....

Rather than one big show with 115,000 people I would like more smaller 18,000 person shows. When a show is SOO big, I think it's not as cool. You are so far away that you can't really see much and the sound is not as good either. I like multipe shows at the the same venue and going to all the shows!
The more Garth, the better! if I could afford it I'd say w/o a doubt I agree.. smaller shows, more intimate..

My friend and I went to our first concert since "Garthstock LA" on Friday. I won't say who we saw, but the opening acts were bad and so not worthy of the headliner's mega status. The crowd enjoyed the show, as did I once the headliner came on. I will say this: The venue seemed small, and the crowd seemed pretty dull to us. If I had seen this show before LA I would have liked it better, but now I am spoiled! There is just no act that can create that magic and that out of your mind experience that Garth can...there is only one GARTH!!!!!!!!!!

-Monica :)

Monica- you're right in that there's no other one that can create what Garth can because there is only one GArth- there only ever will be. there are those who can entertain in their own way just as much- but not the same still... why won't you say who it was?

Monakayla
03-31-2008, 12:22 AM
I don't want to mention the name of the person, becuase he is someone I respect who does put on a great show. I guess even though there are other acts out there who do put on great shows in their own way, I still miss that real high you experience at a Garth show. Because this was my first concert since Garth in LA the difference just seemed more dramatic. I'll get over it!
The headliner has had over 40 #1 hits and I had only heard two songs from the opening acts on the radio... I had not even heard of one of these artists.
I did find that very strange.

One of my favorite artists is actually Loretta Lynn. I have been to several of her shows and they certainly are not the wild party that Garth has, but they ARE very special because of Loretta. She is made of nothing but heart! You just can't help but love her. I know our Garth loves her too. Loretta has a beautiful necklace that Garth bought her and once Garth even filled her dressing room up with flowers!

I'm going to the see Brooks & Dunn in June and I know that show will be great too. Those guys always put on a very cool show.

-Monica

iriscrazy
03-31-2008, 12:41 AM
The question is could Garth sell out a stadium of 115,000.

YES. If he did this he would know when the timing was right. Did you forget about Texas Stadium??? 60,000+...packed, screaming, crazy, out of our mind fans! I think he sold it out more than once too. (Sorry, I'm old and forgetful). 9 shows in KC...one more and you'd been close to 115,000.

YES, he could do it in a blink. (IMO)

That being said, unless I had great seats I would not go. There is too many really bad seats in a house that size. Isn't this fun to think about?

Maggie526
03-31-2008, 03:08 PM
I think Garth can pull off anything he puts his heart into. He said everything we've seen up to now has been SMALL. Yes.. I think he could sell out the LA Memorial Coliseum. In the future when he comes out of "retirement for real. I also believe there will be another Central Park Concert but that could just be wishful thinking.

lucaswynne
03-31-2008, 04:42 PM
sorry dwayne but I beg to differ (as much as I'd love to see a sold out LA coliseum)

few things- Garth, in 1997, was arguably at his peak of the 90's if not just over it. He was one of if not the hottest performers around in ANY genre.

Judging by his current sales and concerts - he still is one of the hottest artists in any genre!

gbkubfan
03-31-2008, 05:58 PM
I think he could do it if he did a special show for Susan Komen Breast Cancer. Maybe do like other artists and add in a special CD to the price so he gets sales toward his numbers, it raises money for a great cause and people get to see him. I admit the concert would be the best ever but you wouldnt be going to the concert for the intimate feel. You'd be going for the fundraising, free CD and being part of the crowd. Believe me, the reason the people went to see the Dodgers/Red Sox was the specialness, not the intimate regular type game. If you are going to a concert that this owuld be set up for, it would be the specialness of the event. I don't think he needs to be at his peak. Garth may have quit touring but like the Beatles, he is still creating music and still hanging on the fringes. It didn't hurt them. :-)

iriscrazy
04-01-2008, 09:02 AM
gbkubfan,
You're right. Texas stadium was huge and I wouldn't trade that memory for anything. We had decent seats but that would've been great to be in the nose bleeds when GB went flying through the air. Yes, just to be part of something that special is priceless.

gbkubfan
04-01-2008, 06:55 PM
I totally agree. It's not the concert...its the event status. Like Central Park, most people honestly didn't expect to be up front. To many people. At the coliseum, it would be the same. I also think it could have a larger attendance. I think standing room only down on the grass before the stage could be possible or even seats. How can we get the bug in Garth's ear.

YouSoundBitter
04-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Big Machine could put on a heck of a music festival with thier line up (yes, I know he's not on thier label, blah blah blah, he does know thier people good now thru thier relationship). Trisha, Taylor and many others would be a big draw...

Skywise
04-02-2008, 03:48 PM
I agree- a big music festival.... could sell out the coliseum potentially.. but GARTH selling out the LA coliseum- I dont' see it- if Garth's part of a music festival- awesome- esp. if other acts that are also good tare there... However- if Garth is there as part of a festival... . it's not GARTH selling out the show- it's the FESTIVAL.. Garth might be the headliner, but you cannot guarantee in that situation that GARTH is the sole responsible party for selling it out.

it'd be nice- but I don't think it'd happen at this point of his career/retirement

iriscrazy
04-02-2008, 03:58 PM
IMO...correct me if I'm wrong but there was about a million people in Central Park to see Garth. Do you think that 1/10th of them would've paid to have seen him?
Well, that's a big Duh!

Skywise
04-02-2008, 04:07 PM
***sighs***

there are varying estimates for the amount of people in CP.. Not verified (I'd love to believe that it was 1 million....
Central park in 1997.. Arguably the peak of Garth's run of popularity- in short he was at his hottest then...
in 1997? sure, they would have..

in 2008 ? no I don't think so- you can't compare a concert from 10 years earlier, not when it's def. representative of a diff. era of Garth's career...

gbkubfan
04-02-2008, 04:57 PM
I agree with Skywise that Garth was at the peak when he did CP. But I look at how many people turned out for the KC and LA concerts. I think Garth could sell out the Coliseum if he kept the price low like he always does and if it was for a good cause. Or like I said above in another post. If he did something like gave away a free CD etc. Someone mentioned his 20th anniveresary next year. What about a star studded event to celebrate the 20 years with some guests showing up to honor him, a special CD for those in attendance etc. But I think if you made it special, not a regular concert like he did on World Tour then he could do it.

lucaswynne
04-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Big Machine could put on a heck of a music festival with thier line up (yes, I know he's not on thier label, blah blah blah, he does know thier people good now thru thier relationship). Trisha, Taylor and many others would be a big draw...

I'm not sure if Big Machine would matter or not. I love Taylor Swift, she's beautifully talented - and I can't say one bad thing about Trisha, she has a voice like no other... but the way I look at it, Trisha fans are Garth fans too so I'm not sure how many more it would draw-in. That's generally speaking of course.

Taylor has a much younger demographic, but I'm not sure if she yet has enough hits to single-handedly draw 10,000 people in one town. That of course would depend on the town... where I currently live, Toby Keith and Brad Paisley have a hard time doing it (and sometimes don't) and they have a list of songs. But in LA, I could see huge potential.

Another thing would be if Garth wants people to think he's a Big Machiner! He likes to keep a sense of being this independent-style guy with Pearl, even though it's pretty obvious it's generally used as more of an imprint.

Switching topics a bit here.... does anybody know what company PAID Garth to write scripts? His agent is William Morris Agency and his publicist for writing is Nancy Seltzer... but I can't figure out what studio paid him!

BLL
04-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Garth and Lisa Sanderson own Red Strokes, their own production company. The last movie produced was 'Call ME Claus'. So he's writing for his own company.

Maggie526
04-02-2008, 11:47 PM
***sighs***

there are varying estimates for the amount of people in CP.. Not verified (I'd love to believe that it was 1 million....
Central park in 1997.. Arguably the peak of Garth's run of popularity- in short he was at his hottest then...
in 1997? sure, they would have..

in 2008 ? no I don't think so- you can't compare a concert from 10 years earlier, not when it's def. representative of a diff. era of Garth's career...

There was definitely way more than the 200,00 the NYPD counted.. maybe 700,00-800,00 seemed like a million when you were trying to get out of there :)

Skywise
04-02-2008, 11:59 PM
there are definitely differing reports as to the amount of people present in the park that day for the concert..

YouSoundBitter
04-03-2008, 08:58 AM
There were also 15 million tuned into HBO, which there were not that many houses with it, lots but not like a basic cable channel, so you gotta think it would've doubled if it was on NBC...

iriscrazy
04-03-2008, 09:31 AM
There was definitely way more than the 200,00 the NYPD counted.. maybe 700,00-800,00 seemed like a million when you were trying to get out of there :)

Wow...you were there!

Maggie526
04-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Wow...you were there!

It was one of the most amazing night's of my life :)

Skywise
04-03-2008, 03:52 PM
I almost went... I have relatives in Jersey, but I chickened out at about 2 weeks out from the show- oh well!

CountryBee
04-03-2008, 03:56 PM
I would hate for Garth to do a concert at L. A.'s Memorial Coliseum because it is so OLD! The place has been around since the 1940's and even though it has been remodeled and renovated through the years, it is not the best place to go for any event. The STAPLES CENTER is one of L. A.'s newest venues and it was (is) the nicest arena I've ever been in. Plus the whole area around the arena and Convention Center is being "revitalized". Give it a couple more years and it will be the "premier" concert and sports venue in the country. I would rather have Garth do a series of concerts there, like the 9 nights in K. C., than do one "spectacular" concert in a large stadium.
Bee

gbkubfan
04-03-2008, 04:26 PM
I hate Staples Center and will do my best to never go to Staples. I prefer the Honda Center. The Coliseum is old but the baseball game the other night went ok except parking issues which with 115,000 people I would expect that. Staples sucks. The seating sucks.

iriscrazy
04-03-2008, 04:46 PM
I would hate for Garth to do a concert at L. A.'s Memorial Coliseum because it is so OLD! The place has been around since the 1940's and even though it has been remodeled and renovated through the years, it is not the best place to go for any event. The STAPLES CENTER is one of L. A.'s newest venues and it was (is) the nicest arena I've ever been in. Plus the whole area around the arena and Convention Center is being "revitalized". Give it a couple more years and it will be the "premier" concert and sports venue in the country. I would rather have Garth do a series of concerts there, like the 9 nights in K. C., than do one "spectacular" concert in a large stadium.
Bee

I have to agree with Brenda. I liked the Staples center as well as the Sprint center...hopefully we will love the BOK CENTER and I'll see all of you guys there in September!
(But we are getting off the subject) Can Garth pack a stadium, anywhere that seats 115,000? IMO. Yes.

lucaswynne
04-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Garth and Lisa Sanderson own Red Strokes, their own production company. The last movie produced was 'Call ME Claus'. So he's writing for his own company.
I don't believe he is, he said in an interview with Hazel Smith that he was being paid to write scripts, I doubt he was paying himself.

Maggie526
04-03-2008, 09:54 PM
I almost went... I have relatives in Jersey, but I chickened out at about 2 weeks out from the show- oh well!

You chickened out!! well you missed an awesome concert Scott.

GBronx
04-05-2008, 07:39 AM
It was one of the most amazing night's of my life :)

Me too!! You missed something special!
IMHO Garth could fill any place any time!!

Maggie526
04-07-2008, 12:30 AM
Me too!! You missed something special!
IMHO Garth could fill any place any time!!

I agree with you Joann

Garth_FANtasizer
04-07-2008, 06:14 AM
I have no doubt that Garth could fill it and then some, anytime he wants to. And that is without having a string of performers opening for him.

Who else can walk away from touring for 10 years and sell out 9 arena shows in one place in a matter of hours? Ages from 10 to 80 came.

The man is a legend. People will always come out for a legend.

~Ann~

Skywise
04-07-2008, 07:51 AM
I have no doubt that Garth could fill it and then some, anytime he wants to. And that is without having a string of performers opening for him.
hmm- a few years ago, I might have agreed with you ann.. now I'm not quite so sure- not a 115,000 seat stadium...

Who else can walk away from touring for 10 years and sell out 9 arena shows in one place in a matter of hours? Ages from 10 to 80 came. very true- 9 shows at a smaller venue. if it were Garth coming back for the one time only show having not played KC or LA? ehh- closer to perhaps a reality (selling it out).. i.e, if this were the 'one time only' to see him. But then again, that's not 'any time he wants to'...

The man is a legend. People will always come out for a legend. ahh ann. I don't know if you're right or not- I still tend to doubt that Garth could do it NOW. (in his prime, ala 10-11 years ago? I agree, I think he'd be able to w/o blinking...).. People will come out for a legend no problem (hence the fact that people are still 'coming out' to see KISS and Billy Joel and other legends who aren't quite what they once were either. ). It's a matter of would '115,000 or more come out in one place @ one time......'... I agree, its POSSIBLE..

I just don't think it's likely...

~Ann~[/QUOTE]

omolly75
04-07-2008, 05:14 PM
wow. yes i believe he could pull it off as long as he have some great performers opening up for him! i live in los angeles so i HOPE he does! it'll be amazing

lucaswynne
04-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Hey! Who are we knockin' here!?

KISS could still do it, and Billy Joel would get darn close if he didn't!

lucaswynne
04-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Excuse me, they could do it... but not at their current prices! ;)

Skywise
04-08-2008, 12:56 AM
I'll def. agree with that one- not at current prices for either act! (and I've seen Billy Joel recently- great show- bad prices!)

gbkubfan
04-08-2008, 11:30 AM
I can understand the high prices these days. The artists aren't getting the money they use to with CD sales. They have to make it up somewhere, especially the older acts who don't get the airplay. Plus they have a built-in fan base. People are changing to downloads and paying 99 cents for a song. In the past if their wasn't a single released, people bought the album. So the artist got a bigger slice of pie. With downloads they don't get as much. For those who want only one song, they get a deal at 99 cents until they want to hear song in concert. Then prices kick in. I know there are other circumstances and some acts who could, jacked up prices. But I think in the bigger picture, we are seeing prices jacked for souviners and ticket prices because they have to make money somehow since CDs aren't selling like they did. personally for my favorite artists, I try to buy from their web sites so they get a better slice of the pie. JMHO

mammafox
04-11-2008, 01:29 PM
If they had an awsome sound system and some great video screens - I think he could do it - because he only charges one price and that it is also very reasonable, is another reason why I think he could do it.

CountryBee
04-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Why not the "Super Dome" in New Orleans? Heaven knows that New Orleans could use the business a Garth concert would bring in. I don't know anything about the "Super Dome", except that it has been refurbished since Hurricane Katrina.