PDA

View Full Version : How Has Garth Changed You Life???

mammafox
02-12-2008, 09:32 PM
I Am A Newbie To Pg - So I Just Wanted To Find Out How Everybody Else Feels About Garth And How He Has Changed There Lives.

For Me - He Brings Me Inspiration -
His Songs Hit Me To My Soul -
His Songs Make Me Think - They Make Me Laugh - They Make Me Cry - They Make Me Dance
Garth Makes Me Believe That There Are Genuinly Nice People Out There That Take Life As It Comes And Don't Get Freaked Out About Every Little Thing.

So Pg - How Does He Make You Feel????????

Mammafox - So. Cal.

Garthmedic
02-12-2008, 09:44 PM
He has affirmed my belief that mega-celebrities can be, deep down, just straight-forward and normal folk.

--spud--:)

Mr_Sevens
02-12-2008, 10:10 PM
he showed me that there is hope in this world.

iriscrazy
02-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Garth evokes every emotion in me...he's made me laugh, he's made me cry but most of all...he makes me smile. When Garth is on that stage every care in the world disappears. There's no sickness, no pain, no problems...just Garth and the music. KC and LA came at the best possible time for me...He is the best possible medicine and I am sooo very thankful for Garth.

Garth if you are reading this, you make me so happy and my light will always be on. Thank you. Joyce

Jen19
02-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Gosh too much.. I would never have listend to country music so I would never have moved to Nashville and I think my life would be completly difference without Garth and the network of friends I have made from our love for him and his music

Skywise
02-12-2008, 10:58 PM
in the short....

Garth taught me how to love the guitar. He taught me how to love music for more than just the surface stuff. he's showed me that you can have faith and still be successful. Garth has given me some great models as how to raise my daughters. Garth is simply the most engaging performer that I have ever, ever seen.. I wish I could meet him, to simply say Thank you

mammafox
02-13-2008, 12:06 AM
this is great - i can't wait to hear what other pg'ers have to say - i can tell already that he has really played a significant part in a lot of peoples lives.

I only got to go to our local theater to see the show in KC (it was still fantastic) but I was able to see him live in LA - though i had nose bleed seats (still I would not have passed it up for anything) I can't wait to see him again - but you guys will have to let me know how you got such great seats.

keep the replys coming - i love hearing how much he means to people - it shows me that I am not alone.

Nuwanda
02-13-2008, 12:31 AM
he is a great inspiration.
his music picks me up when i am down.
his music touches my heart and soul.
he shows me that there is hope in the world and that people who are at the top can still be humble and down-to-earth.
there is so much more which i can't put into words; but it's admiration for just the way he is and it's nice to know that there are people out there who care about other who are not on the sunny side of life.

Mo'Betta
02-13-2008, 12:39 AM
Despite his problems with former wife Sandy, Garth has showed me that there are sensitive, emotional (straight) men in the world. In fact his trials with Sandy strengthen this belief. When I first learned of how he admited to an entire crowed of people of his unfaithfulness I was speechless and amazed with his honesty.

Garth and his music helped me survive emotional and verbal abuse from my parents durring trying times in my life and I am eternally grateful for his life saving words.

Monakayla
02-13-2008, 01:01 AM
Another great topic! I'll add my words...

There was a time back in the 80's when I did not like country music. Then Garth came along and made country cool. I started going to some country concerts and I found that I liked them! Of course I went to Garth and other newer country acts, but I also started digging the legends Like Loretta Lynn, George Jones, etc. I became a fan of the Grand Ole Opry which I have visited several times (Including when Garth was there for the Opry's 80th Birthday!) I started taking music lessons and even did some singing at local county fairs. I recorded a demo at one point. Thanks Garth, for opening my mind. I now enjoy many country concerts because of you.

Garth,

Thanks for being genuine, classy, and awesome! Thanks also for some of the most amazing moments we'll ever remember in our lives! Thanks for the music! I have not had as much fun as I did recently in LA (all 5!) for a very long time. We all came because of you. We are all on this board connecting to each other because of you... VERY COOL!

-Monica

okiegirl2007
02-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Omg. this is a great topic. I have alot.

1: he is just a true inspiration
2: His music has touched me in so many ways
3: listening to him/music lifts my spirits
4: puts me in a better mood when i'm down
5: Just a wonderful and honest person that
i just love.
6: If it wasn't for him and his music i wouldn't
be where i am today.
7: His music has helped me get throught the
difficult times esp. during the deaths of my grandparents.
8: and Just a loveable, caring person.

that is all i have to say.
THANK YOU Garth! I will leave my light on for you.

VocalLizzy
02-13-2008, 02:13 AM
I could say so very much here...but in short...he's taught me to believe.

Miss Lizzy

Maggie526
02-13-2008, 09:48 AM
To me Garth has been that special person in my life who is always there for me. No matter what situation I’m facing or emotions I’m feeling I can listen to his music and hear the words I need to hear. He touches my heart and soul, makes me feel better, let’s me know everything is going to be all right.
I believe Garth when he says he wants to change the world, if anyone can do it He can.

Garth amazes me with his ability to be a superstar and the guy next door.

mammafox
02-13-2008, 01:06 PM
you guys are soooooooo awsome!!!!

This is great - i love knowing there are other people out there that feel the same way I do about Garth

I really do hope that he does come check this out - because i think he would love to hear all that what he does and what he has done has inspired so many people and brought them hope and happiness

kissncry
02-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Honestly, I would be easier to list all the ways he HASN'T changed me. I could literally fill a book with all the small lessons I have taken away from what little bit about him I do know. He has certainly changed the way I view the world and the people around me. I don't know how anyone can be a fan of this man and NOT be moved in some way. He has helped me through a very tough time in my life recently. His fearlessness, passion for life, honesty, and generosity are an inspiration to me everyday. Mostly, though, he has taught me that if I will listen to my heart first, the rest will all fall into place.

Like so many other people here who haven't had the good fortune to meet him yet; I hope I get to one day be lucky enough to tell him everything in person. If I can keep from blithering like a complete idiot. :D God bless you, Garth! Please remember that you DO still make a difference in peoples' lives every single day. :applause:

Sherry

lucaswynne
02-13-2008, 03:05 PM
I could write a book on this.

As a Person...
Mr. Brooks has shown me that being big in music can happen if you're just a plain and normal person. Sure he has a massive house and I'm sure his share of cool cars, but what normal guy wouldn't with that kind of money!? Mr. Brooks cares about people and he cares about his family. You won't see him check into a rehab facility or doing some other crazy stunt. He's just a normal guy that happened to make it big, and that's why he's so popular - everybody can relate to him. He has his priorities in order, and money seems to be the last on that list.

As a Hero...
He has done/said/sang so many things that have personally touched my soul that I couldn't being to list them all. The most important, I'm actually embarassed to say but I'm telling him about it in the letter I'm writing him along with the gift I've been working on for him.

As an Artist...
He went out there and played country when country wasn't cool! He made everything fun and kept the price low which kept it accessible to everyone. Mr. Brooks cares about you, not your money. Autographs and all. He didn't lie about who his heros were to gain more fans (ever notice the contemporary artists now days seem to consider everybody their "hero"?) He made country cool again. If there's one person I want to follow in the foot steps of, even if I never gain near the same success, it's Mr. Brooks.

Garth Cares...
Fans, non-fans, and everybody in between! T4K is one of my favorite things and it's just amazing to see 100% of the money go to this great cause. Children's charities are really the best. Being associated with hockey is just another plus in my book. It's such a great idea to raise money, points/goals/kicks/blocks/saves - genius.

I'd post the letter I'm sending him, but it's just too darn personal. Which is another thing great about Mr. Brooks - you feel confident sending him a letter because you know what kind of person he is.

mammafox
02-13-2008, 09:02 PM
where are you sending your letter - i sent one to the "Garth Brooks Management" address that is listed on this website - but i have heard that things get returned from this address - is this the one you are sending it too???

lucaswynne
02-13-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure if things get returned from there or not.

I'm sending it to a different address I was able to obtain, but I can't tell anybody the address - sorry.

iriscrazy
02-13-2008, 09:19 PM
I could say so very much here...but in short...he's taught me to believe.

Miss Lizzy

Yes Miss Lizzy...you are among the "BELIEVERS" now. If anyone wonders what IT is that GARTH has..all they have to do is read this thread. There is no performer, dead or alive that does what Garth does, Lord forgive me, not even Elvis.

lucaswynne
02-13-2008, 10:02 PM
It's true. There isn't one major artist that has ever cared so much for the fans.

I seriously am baffled as to why nobody wants to follow his example! Is it so hard to reach out to the people that provide for your livelihood?

Monakayla
02-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Garth is just in a league of his own. I love reading these comments. I bet Garth does read them too. If I knew there were a fan board with people saying nice things about me, I know I'd want to read them. Garth does things Garth's way and we love that.

-Monica :)

lsr4gb
02-13-2008, 11:21 PM
A few years ago all i would listen to was just hard rock heavy metal songs.I hated country music. went to work one day and some person had flip the station to this country station and i was just getting ready to switch the channel and this song came on call much to young. i was floored how good it sounded and i was hooked. Needless to say that my radio station never did go back to that other staton... and you can hear his old songs over and over and over and no matter how much you hear them. They still are an inspuration to me. and at 42 years old i was able to act like a teenager at his concert(my first time in k.c).

GarthdaMan
02-13-2008, 11:48 PM
When I was 19 I fell in love with a girl who was finding Garth for the first time just like I was. It became an immediate bond for my relationship with her. We loved his music and dreamed that we would someday get to see him in concert. Luckily, after I married this great woman we were able to see him together 7 times on his fantastic world tour. He has helped us enjoy life and even helped me get through some tough times of my own. My life was better the instant I heard Garth Brooks' music.

wendyjo
02-14-2008, 12:12 AM
As we get older, most of us learn to appreciate things we didn't realize were important when we were kids.
... very few things seem to hit all ages with any similar significance.
More than just us PG'rs have obviously found something very significant in Garth.

When it comes right down to it, regardless of your belief/faith ... morality/ethics and just plain doing what is right, is probably the core that links us all whether we realize it or not.

I am not a very religious person .. I am not anti-religion, just not really something I can classify, except that I don't have any doubt that there is something bigger than all of us... and the windows to see that, are often fogged by being caught up in our day to day grind.

I'm guessing Garth might not be comfortable with my assessment, but what a great example of a window to that 'something bigger than me feeling'.
.. how can one being affect the lives of so many in such a positive light without that as his main M.O.
.. meaning he is not a missionary of any religion, and doesn't even discuss his beliefs to any extent.
He is just himself ... all the time.
.. and that goodness transcends all ages/races/religions ...

There are other artists, and bite my tongue, there may be better talents technically speaking... but what is it that really draws people, literally from 4 to 104 to a seemingly average dude?

Sure he has AMAZING talent, sure he has charisma, but I know in my heart it is deeper than that ... I really and truly feel that we feel Garth's soul.
My heart actually aches when I think of him and how good it makes me feel to know he is here (on earth) while I am here.
Melodramatic, perhaps, but someone else mentioned it so I know I'm not alone .. he really makes me feel the good in the world...and in myself.

The common thread I keep reading is so much more than his music, it is the person.
It has been said that he is popular because he embodies 'everyman' ..meaning we all can imagine him as being our brother, father, neighbor, husband, friend.
.. he sets a level of comfort and reciprocal respect for everyone around him, never making anyone feel like he is any different/better than they are.

He is humble, yet confident and proud, not afraid to show humility or weakness, yet his strength, drive, and determination will deny him nothing.
We can all aspire to be like him without intimidation or self-doubt.

I want to circle back to my comment of ages 4-104 .. I think his appeal is so broad because he really is all of us.
There is a wonderful review I would like to quote ...

".....the twinkle in his eye can turn to stony seriousness in an instant, the boyish joy of those beaming grins switching to stoic manliness."

http://www.ocregister.com/entertainment/garth-brooks-staples-1967750-center-benefit
(By BEN WENER of The Orange County Register)

What a brilliant description.

... I'm sure Garth is conscious of his demeanor with different groups of people to a point, but even without having met him, I have no doubt that is just who he is... not that he turns anything on/off for any given audience.

A perfect example of his broad appeal and the window he represents ... the age range even on this forum runs the gamut, and we all ultimately speak of his heart equally if not more than we do his music.

A true inspiration to humanity... just being himself.

... we can never turn the light off .. he is our light.

lucaswynne
02-14-2008, 12:20 AM
I'm lucky I'm young.

I get the advantage of saying (and truthfully) my first CD was a Garth Brooks CD when I was seven, and I've loved his music ever since.

mammafox
02-14-2008, 12:28 AM
thats ok - i understand - i just wish we knew of an exact address we could send fan mail too.

huskergirl7
02-14-2008, 12:43 AM
I love this thread. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what is the greatest about him, but the first thing that comes to mind is that hearing a random Garth song on the radio or popping in a CD will instantly make a crummy day turn for me. It's hard to explain the draw to him, I think everyone else has pretty much covered it already. He's a true, down to earth genuine good guy and we just don't have enough of those these days.

I've been addicted to him since 1991, that would have made me 9 years old. I still remember the first time I heard him on the radio, thinking that this totally isn't the country music my parents listen to. I remember being mad at my parents when I was 11 because they wouldn't let me camp out in line for tickets--genuinely mad. I remember making my poor parents, generally my mother, drive me to the store as soon as humanly possible after a CD release so we could buy it and then making them drive back because I needed to have the limited edition CD too. I remember the end of my 8th grade year and staying up for over 4 days straight to try to win a radio contest to see Garth in Cheyenne and nearly failing finals because I was so tired. I also remember bawling like a baby when I found out that my mother had indeed won one of the coveted trips to Cheyenne and how it was literally one of the best days of my life. I remember the hours spent standing in line for tickets, while calling Ticketmaster, and how those were some of the best spent hours ever. I remember when I first met my now husband how I warned him about my Garth "problem" and how he never did realize just how serious I was until Garth blessed us with the KC shows. Poor man didn't know what hit him.

My point here is that I've got so many happy Garth memories for my young age, more than I do with anything else in my life. I've got Garth to thank for being able to meet lots of great people and for introducing me to the wonderful music of the late Chris LeDoux and for cheering me up when I'm in the dumps and for cooling me off when I'm angry. The list could go on and on...Thanks Garth.

mammafox
02-14-2008, 12:54 AM
you guys keep on making me think of more reasons why i love garth - whenever i need a pick me up or when i have those dreaded house chores to do - it is garth that i turn too
he brightens my day and he brings out repressed feeling that i didn't even know that i had repressed.
when MTAM came out it really hit me hard - i had all these really wierd emotions coming out of me that i didn't understand - it starting me thinking about my no longer best friend that i just severed ties with - it made me start thinking about her again and the problems that we had - i even starting having really weird dreams about my old relationships.
Again another one of his songs hit me to my soul.

I don't really have any friend anymore, but know that I have joined PG I think I have found a whole new group of them - Thanks Garth

Monakayla
02-14-2008, 01:45 AM
This thread is getting deep! Just a testament to the unique connection Garth has with his fans. Yes it is about the music AND the man. Garth songs are not fluff like many songs that are out there. Sure there are some songs that say "party time" like Two Pina Coladas, but a huge persent of the songs both up tempo and ballads really have a message or a point that I think also hightens his impact on all of us: The River, The Dance, If Tomorrow Never Comes, We Shall Be Free, Unanswered Prayers.... The mixture of the "rev em' up and get wild songs" and other songs like the ones listed make for a phenominal show. They are also telling of the man who sings them.

-Monica

Sugar n' Spice
02-14-2008, 04:28 PM
In response to how has Garth changed my life -- I would have to say that ever since meeting him for the first time after a taping at The Tonight Show (and the two times after that) I am constantly in awe of how he can, in the midst of a crowd, make you feel like you're the only one there and that he's just having a one-on-one conversation with a good friend (regardless of whether or not you're speechless and fumbling for words)! So, I try to remember that when I'm having conversations with other people -- I should be giving them my undivided attention and not be thinking about my 'to-do' list or anything else -- I should just be in the moment because, after all, people and relationships are one of the most important things there is.

Thank you Garth for all of those important 'life lessons' that you teach us just by living your life and being you!

lucaswynne
02-14-2008, 06:41 PM
That's another thing I forgot to metion... everytime I play now I MAKE SURE to look straight into as many eyes as possible.

When I used to play a song to one person I used to sort of look to the side, but Garth taught me to look straight at them. Trust me, the songs hits home a lot more too!