PDA

View Full Version : Still Here for You Violating Copyright?

jturtels
02-11-2008, 07:03 PM
My version of Still Here For You was deleted off of youtube for some reason....does anybody know why that might be? My question is, is there a way that me and lucaswynne can post our songs on planetgarth.com somewhere? I have no idea why Pearl Records would delete this video. I feel like such a criminal! :)

lucaswynne
02-11-2008, 07:16 PM
I'd bet money on image copyrights.

Monakayla
02-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Hi there. I saw that and posted it in the original song thread. I have no idea why? Is it the picture of Garth? Is it because the words in your version were slightly different and were those words problematic? Was it the melody? I wish I knew. If we could even post an audio file with no video somewhere that would be nice. You are no criminal that's for sure! Noone here is. For the record, I did get to hear your version and I'm telling you that if that thing were played on the radio it would be a #1!!!! Those folks at Pearl Records had some issue with the song being on youtube, but that doesn't mean they didn't think It was incredable! If Pearl Records knows about it, then Garth might even know about this by now. He might have even heard it!

-Monica ;)

lucaswynne
02-11-2008, 07:22 PM
How were the words changed? Did I miss something?

Monakayla
02-11-2008, 07:27 PM
You started your version with "Operator" and the other version said "Hey Mister". The Operator one starts off like the Randy Travis song "1982" but changes the year. You also ended your song a little differently and did not use "dammned to let it end" becuase that really did not fit the feel for your version. They were very minor changes.

-Monica

lucaswynne
02-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Wait a second... I sang the "hey mister" version!

Haha, I know what you were saying ;)

As far as I understand, if he used "Operatore, please connect me" or anything like that - it's ok by copyright law.

Monakayla
02-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Right, strike that reverse it! Lucas sang "Hey Mister"!

-Monica :)

jturtels
02-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Ok...well I re-cut it tonight...changed some things I didn't like about the first..I'll try putting it on youtube again with just a black screen and see if that helps....

Monakayla
02-11-2008, 07:50 PM
That sounds good. That way we can at least find out if it's picture or song related. Looking forward to the new link. Good luck!

-Monica

Maggie526
02-11-2008, 08:21 PM
I think it's the photo.
Unless one of the GarthNutts from PG forum signed a contract with Pearl records since last night how would they own the copyright ?

lucaswynne
02-11-2008, 08:29 PM
I think it's the photo.
Unless one of the GarthNutts from PG forum signed a contract with Pearl records since last night how would they own the copyright ?

Ah shoot, I thought Garth wouldn't let you know! Well, I guess that cat's out of the bag now. Just kidding ;)

karik
02-13-2008, 08:40 PM
When I first signed up for my YouTube account I didn't know that Garth had anything against Youtube videos of him so i of course posted one of my favorites that my friend found and sent me. It is Garth doing a melody of some of his idols songs(George Strait-Unwound, George Jones-White Lightning, etc) and it was deleted the next week. So I had 2 other videos i made, so no copyrights. Last week I made a slideshow of 3 garth pics. I didn't know THOSE were copyrighted(no offence, but geesh garth...) so I guess Pearl Records and YouTube has enough of me and deleted my account permanently yesterday! So yeah I'm kinda upset...

Brett Dale
02-13-2008, 09:18 PM
When I first signed up for my YouTube account I didn't know that Garth had anything against Youtube videos of him so i of course posted one of my favorites that my friend found and sent me. It is Garth doing a melody of some of his idols songs(George Strait-Unwound, George Jones-White Lightning, etc) and it was deleted the next week. So I had 2 other videos i made, so no copyrights. Last week I made a slideshow of 3 garth pics. I didn't know THOSE were copyrighted(no offence, but geesh garth...) so I guess Pearl Records and YouTube has enough of me and deleted my account permanently yesterday! So yeah I'm kinda upset...

It may of been cmt or clear communications that ordered the video off.

karik
02-13-2008, 09:46 PM
It may of been cmt or clear communications that ordered the video off.

huh?????

txtknogk
02-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Well, I sure hate to push ole Garth too far on the photo thing!! It sure is nice to be able to stare openly at his bod--er, I mean, to take pictures during his concerts!! (evil grin) Some celebs have their names and likenesses licensed. Could this be the case here?

Monakayla
02-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Well, I sure hate to push ole Garth too far on the photo thing!! It sure is nice to be able to stare openly at his bod--er, I mean, to take pictures during his concerts!! (evil grin) Some celebs have their names and likenesses licensed. Could this be the case here?

I would not want to push him either. I thought maybe there were some safe pictures. Or a way have some words or something there instead of a black screen. There are many other videos up there that do have Garth images that have not been taken down. Whatever jturtels decides since he did this is okay with me. The most important part is up there...the song!

-Monica

garthaholic02
02-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Whenever putting a song online make sure that nothing violates copyright law. According to BMI.com there are three artist with the title "Still here for you"...I haven't checked SESAC yet to find out anything there, but maybe that is the reason why they pulled it. I'll ask my professor's at school..one of them is bound to know the answer.

JoAnn L.
02-15-2008, 06:52 PM
My thoughts are that occasinally his record label surfs the net for Garth related copywrite issues...and they clean house. It would be painstakingly impossible to go over every little detail, so if it smells like copywrite they yank it. I put MTAM as my default song on MySpace page....thinking it was okay. It was gone a day later, I noticed it said "Song has been deleted by the artist". My MS is set on private, and I am sure the music site I uploaded it from, was snagged and removed.

However, I have been waiting with baited breath for Garth to come hand cuff me and spank me all the way to jail for capturing his Shameless Bra Toss in KC incident on tape. You won't find it out there, but I gave Garth a copy, what he does with it is up to him. He simply can't expect alive and kicking females to accept his on stage swivel and pelvic thrusts to be banked in our lil heads. We need to feed the appetite he's created, we need visuals.

On a more serious note, the song tribute is beautiful, heart felt and well intended by his fans...but it's a fine line when writing, recording music that somewhat resembles someone elses music, lyrics regardless of who it is. Then posting it on YouTube just makes it "out there." It sucks but that's the nature of the beast of the business .

Funny how other YouTube Garth related songs don't get yanked....like "Got Pains In Low Places" or has that been removed too? Very funny parody, it's a must see if it's still out there. LOL

Monakayla
02-15-2008, 10:19 PM
My thoughts are that occasinally his record label surfs the net for Garth related copywrite issues...and they clean house. It would be painstakingly impossible to go over every little detail, so if it smells like copywrite they yank it. I put MTAM as my default song on MySpace page....thinking it was okay. It was gone a day later, I noticed it said "Song has been deleted by the artist". My MS is set on private, and I am sure the music site I uploaded it from, was snagged and removed.

However, I have been waiting with baited breath for Garth to come hand cuff me and spank me all the way to jail for capturing his Shameless Bra Toss in KC incident on tape. You won't find it out there, but I gave Garth a copy, what he does with it is up to him. He simply can't expect alive and kicking females to accept his on stage swivel and pelvic thrusts to be banked in our lil heads. We need to feed the appetite he's created, we need visuals.

On a more serious note, the song tribute is beautiful, heart felt and well intended by his fans...but it's a fine line when writing, recording music that somewhat resembles someone elses music, lyrics regardless of who it is. Then posting it on YouTube just makes it "out there." It sucks but that's the nature of the beast of the business .

Funny how other YouTube Garth related songs don't get yanked....like "Got Pains In Low Places" or has that been removed too? Very funny parody, it's a must see if it's still out there. LOL

JoAnn,

Thanks for the adivce. I think we have the copyright thing figured out though. If you read some of the related threads you will see links to the songs. We think it was the picture that we had on one of the youtube videos. That has been switched to a blank screen and the song still remains as I write this. In fact, both versions are still out there.

-Monica

dsdunnam
02-16-2008, 03:48 AM
I guess i must live under a rock, i knew nothing about all this copyright thing. Now i know why my Garth song was removed from my myspace .

Maggie526
02-16-2008, 10:05 AM
JoAnn
If that is the punishment for copyright infringement the prisons are going to be over crowded with GathNutts :)

lucaswynne
02-16-2008, 11:08 AM
If a Garth song is on myspace (unless it's on the big machine site), it's there illegally. People make "Garth" profiles pretending to be Garth all the time. Don't support their law-breaking and add the song. I report these accounts when I find them.

madnessmike
02-17-2008, 06:19 PM
I hate this stuff but I understand the needs of artists to protect their income. I miss the old Napster!