PDA

View Full Version : Oprey 75th bday bash - help please

Tink0166
12-01-2007, 12:42 AM
I really need your help guys. Hopefully someone out there will remember this.

Back when the Buzz was out that Garth may retire, I made a vow that I would do whatever it took to meet him before that happened. Fate stepped in and thanks to this place, and a friend I made here, I found out that Garth was going to sing at the Opry's birthday bash. Tickets were a mere $20! So, I bought a few.. Then told my husband that we needed to got to Nashville!! Seeing as we lived in NY, it wasn't going to be just a weekend drive.. So we started saving some cash to drive down for the week, with our kids.. But.. a week before the show, he informed me that things had changed at his job, and he couldn't get the time off.. sorry, the trip would need to be cancelled.. (uh hum.. NOT) I told him sorry, but with or without him I was going to go.. so it ended up with out him.. I used the money we had saved, bought round trip airfare and booked a hotel for the weekend!

Met up with a friend from here, Terry (sorry, can't for the life of me remember her last name, we've lost touch), her husband, sister and kids.. We had a great weekend, went to the gates and got to see Garth's brother Kelly drive in! Had a blast (Terry if you're out there, get a hold of me!)

Anyway, sorry this is so long, but I'm getting to the "help me" part. At the Opry show that Saturday night, I hurried outback to see if I could meet The Man, as I'd heard he was outback the night before signing autographs and such. I had to try, but in the bustle of things, lost Terry and her family.. When I got to the baracade, it was just me (and eventually about 300 or so fans behind me!) I was sooo nervous when they finally announced Garth was coming out. When I spotted his royal blue and yellow plaid shirt in the shadows, I started shaking.. I was really gonna meet him, he was coming.. I closed my eyes and tried to psych myself out, "you can do this, keep it together girl, this is it" I took a deep breath, and when I opened my eyes, he was right there in front of me! I must have had a strange look on my face, cause he just said, "Darlin, you alright?" and I lost it.. "Now I am!" and I started crying. Couldn't help it. But he was an angel, and reached for me and gave me a huge hug!!! I was in heaven for what seemed like hours (but in reality was only a minute or so) We exchanged some words, he asked me where I was from, where my family was, and I told him it was just me. I gave him a letter I had written, and was still a little shaky so he had me stand next to him and hold on to his forearm for a bit. All I can remember was thinking "he's real, he's really real".

So here's where I need your help. I had my camera with me and did end up taking some pics of him as he talked to the crowd and posed w/some kids, but.. I have NO PHOTOS of me with him.. NONE.. I didn't know anyone around me! So if anyone remembers that night, and by chance has any pics of the blubbering idiot crying on Garth's shoulder, could you PLEASE let me know??? I would be forever grateful!!!

jackieb
12-02-2007, 12:20 AM
You might do a search in Photobucket. If anyone labels their pictures with "Garth", you may be able to find it; also search Garth Brooks, GarthBrooks, etc. Glad you got to meet him! I can't wait for that to happen to me one day!

phillyfan77
12-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Hi Tina! That was a wonderful night, wasn't it? I think that I remember your meeting with Garth!

My job back then was to be the "official photographer" for the women in my group (my wife and some of our friends). I would be in the background snapping pictures while everyone else got to meet Garth. (I eventually got my photo with Garth and Trisha several times at The Gates in Oklahoma!) I love watching Garth make his way through a crowd. He is always so polite and so caring... it's an amazing thing to witness.

Anyways, I have a bunch of those photos somewhere, but not on my computer. However, I still have an old website with some of them that you can check out:

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/phillyfan77/gbopry1.html

I'll let you know if I can find any more of those photos.

Tink0166
12-05-2007, 11:16 PM
phillyfan77.. I would be FOREVER grateful if you could locate any other photos of that night!!! I've been waiting 7 years to see a pic of me with the man..just so I can prove to all that it really happened, you know? I checked out your website.. awesome pictures there..and the ones of him at the opry that night brought back TONS of memories.. I walked out before he finished "The Dance" so I could get out back in time.. that was rough.. If you want to email me with anymore info, please do so.. I really appreciate it!

phillyfan77
12-11-2007, 03:45 PM
I haven't found any photos yet, but I still have an audio file of "The Dance" from that night. (Someone recorded it off of WSM and I still have it... I absolutely love the "I love you" that he says at the end of the song.) I'll send you an email when I get home tonight.

Tink0166
12-11-2007, 03:57 PM
That would be awesome..thank you!! I will watch for your email. I'm gonna see if I can get my old scanner hooked up and post the photos I do have from that night.. so close and took maybe 6-8 pics.. THAT WAS IT. I was too much in shock I think..LOL. I had written him a satirical (sp??) love letter using the titles to songs he had recorded (to that point anyway) and was able to give it to him.. In some of the photos you can see him holding it.

phillyfan77
12-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Hi Tina, I just sent you an email because I can't attach any files to the PG emails. Get back to me with your address and I'll send "The Dance" audio file.

And I have a surprise! I have VIDEO from that night outside at the Opry guardshack dated 10/13/00! I'll play it later and let you know if I see that hysterical women for you. ;)

Tink0166
12-13-2007, 09:31 AM
You have just made my day..possibly my YEAR! Thank you!