PDA

View Full Version : The Four New Songs on Ultimate Hits

madnessmike
11-27-2007, 06:37 PM
I might get some slack for this because I too like anything new from Garth. Obviously anything that is released cannot be perfect or great. When I loaded the four songs on my I-Pod I avoided adding the others because they already exist on my player. From there I sat and listened to all four. I already heard More than A Memory a hundred times so I knew that one was good. I can't say that I don't like the new tunes or that they are awful because they are not. However, I think the hype was bigger than what was given. Workin for a Livin just doesn't seem to work for me. Perhaps I am comparing it with Beer Run but Workin lacks the same fire and passion that makes Beer Run so good.

Midnight Sun is my second favorite of the four. Its a good tune but it is easily compared to Friends in Low Places of AHBA. Its a sing along crowd pleaser that makes Garth so unique. He loves to put these on his records. I like it and it works for me.

Leave the Light on was the song that I looked forward to when I got the CD. I have to say that it is my least favorite of the four new releases. I am going to try to listen to it more because songs do wear on you when you give them another chance.

Together I have listened to each song 10+ times, listened to the words and I have enjoyed them. That doesn't mean that I am not disappointed to some degree I think we deserved a bit more in terms of new stuff. Garth might be holding the best for last. I sure hope so but these songs show that he still has what it takes. But if I had to guess, More than a Memory will be the most successful of the four. This isn't because it was released first and everyone rode the wave of Garth Mania. It will be the most successful because it is the best song and I think fits in with the other classics. I don't know if I can say the same for the other three.

Ratings out of Five Stars with 5 being the best

More than a Memory ***1/2

MidNight Sun ***

Working for a Living **

Leave the Light on *1/2

Thats just my take and opinion. I'll keep listening.

karik
11-27-2007, 06:45 PM
my review--
MTAM-***1/2
Workin' For A Livin'-****(I really like this one!)
Midnight Sun- ***
Leave A Light On-***

Jona
11-27-2007, 07:42 PM
My review
MTAM ***** One of my all time favorites actually
Workin' for a living ***1/2
Midnight sun *** 1/2
Leave a light on **** I love this one, but I didn't at first. It have really grown to me.

adamthegarthfan
11-27-2007, 08:02 PM
1.midnight sun
2.leave a light on
3.more than a memory
4.workin' for a livin'

thats my ranking

darkcountry
11-27-2007, 08:08 PM
1. MTAM
2. Leave A Light On
3. Midnight Sun
(Insert every other song Garth has ever done)
Finally Working For A Living (He does great, it's just a terrible cheesy song)

jnull91
11-27-2007, 08:10 PM
I would just like to say... I like the new stuff much more since I saw the videos. Workin For A Livin did nothing for me at all until I saw two idiots singing while standing in traffic (heh) Midnight Sun is just plain FUN. MTAM is another that I like more since I can picture it. Leave A Light On - I love the concept, but I only "like" the song.

okiegirl2007
11-27-2007, 08:10 PM
my rankings:

1: MTAM-he looks sexy in video! :D
2: Workin for a Livin-love the video!
3: Leave the light on
4: Midnight sun

iriscrazy
11-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Leave A Light On ***** Crank it up!! Play it loud! Picture this one live! OMG!
MTAM **** Liked it the minute I heard it.
Midnight Sun *** It's a fun song
Workin for a whatever...it doesn't work for me. Out of all the songs in the world he could've recorded!
However, there are Garth songs that I didn't "love" until I saw them done live.
That just can entirely change a song....Rodeo for example.

Maggie526
11-27-2007, 11:39 PM
MTAM ***** Love this song . Love Garth in the video so sexy, so passionate.
Leave a Light ON ****1/2 - awesome song
Midnight Sun ***1/2 - great for fans to sing along.
Workin' For A Livin' *** like the video better than the song

BLL
11-28-2007, 12:45 AM
Midnight Sun is ******
MTAM*****
Working for a Living ****1/2 (video rocks!)
Leave a Light On****1/2

Alll in all, they all ROCK!

Lost 'n' Garth
11-28-2007, 01:01 AM
More Than a Memory....5 stars
Workin for a Living.......4 stars
Midnight Sun...............4 stars
Leave a Light On..........2 stars

MTAM is up there with Shameless, WYCBTMA, The Dance as all time favorites of mine.

Love this song!!

Cheri:)

randa16
11-28-2007, 01:08 AM
More than a memory- Love it cant get enough of it. You can feel the pain in the words and his voice.

Midnight Sun- I love this one too. I just cant help but sing along it is a fun song and cant wait to hear this one live.

Workin for a livin- I could take it or leave it. If I had never heard Huey Lewis version it might have been better or mabye if it was a faster tempo.

Leave a light on- Great concept just did not hit home with me.

alictf
11-28-2007, 10:13 AM
1. MTAM - ***** 5 stars (if that's the highest I can give:) )! LOVE this song!! loved it from the start - reminded me why Garth is Garth - no one else sings with the passion he does. it has quickly become probably in the top five of favorite Garth songs...LOVE IT!!!!! and after the video - loved it even more!!!!! and especially after seeing him sing it live the first concert - and getting to shout the 'just to hear him say it's gonna be alright' back at him! and he couldn't believe we knew every word to the 'new stuff' too.

2. Midnight Sun ***1/2 stars - just fun, love the video, good song - and seems very Garth.

3. Leave a Light On *** - didn't like it quite as much at first but it has grown on me - i like the song - mostly because when he's singing it - i'm thinking 'don't worry Garth, we will leave the light on for you!!' waiting for his comeback...

4. Workin for a Livin - ** - mostly because it's been done before - but it's a fun song, and like someone else said, liked it a little more after seeing the video.

GBronx
11-28-2007, 02:08 PM
I would just like to say... I like the new stuff much more since I saw the videos. Workin For A Livin did nothing for me at all until I saw two idiots singing while standing in traffic (heh) Midnight Sun is just plain FUN. MTAM is another that I like more since I can picture it. Leave A Light On - I love the concept, but I only "like" the song.

I love this revew!!! You made me ROTFLMAO!!!

1) I love MTAM!!
2) love Leave The Light On
3) Midnight Sun is a fun video
4) WFAL ~~ like watching the 2 idiots standing in traffic!!!

okiegirl2007
11-28-2007, 03:01 PM
why you calling garth and houie (sp) idiots?

GBronx
11-28-2007, 03:09 PM
why you calling garth and houie (sp) idiots?

Ok, so don't get your dander up!! LOL It's all in fun!!
(speaking for myself) I really don't think they're idiots!!!
I was just going along with the humor!! (I was assuming it's humor. If it wasn't then I 'was' kidding!!) ;)

I happen to love and respect Garth to the utmost!!
I don't know Houie, but I'm gonna say he isn't 'really' an idiot either

CountryBee
11-28-2007, 03:22 PM
"More than a Memory" is my favorite song and video off of the "Ultimate Hits". Garth's singing is so emotional and, on the video, his "acting" conveys real emotions. There are a couple of places in the video, and verses in the song, that just tear me up every time. I was in tears the first time I saw the video.
"Midnight Sun" and "Working for a Living" are the most fun videos to watch. "Midnight Sun" had me doubled over with laughter. Then, the "Working for a Living" video became funnier each time I watched it. I caught the "little" things that add up to making the video quite funny.

Bee

Tink0166
11-28-2007, 03:44 PM
1. More than a memory - 5 stars..love it
2. Leave a light on - 5 stars..love it too.. like someone said above.. crank it up, and you can 'feel' it. Very raw and passionate.
3. Workin... - 4 stars.. Loved th video too..
4. Midnight sun - 4 stars.. also a fun song

GarthdaMan
11-28-2007, 05:20 PM
MTAM ****
Midnight Sun **1/2 Not my favorite, but still very listenable.
Working for a Livin' ***1/2 Love Huey!
Leave a Light On *** Still haven't heard the last 30 seconds due to a defective disc.

Overall, I love the 4 new songs and the new vids for the 3 songs on the Ultimate Hits.

Charles
11-28-2007, 07:19 PM
more than a memory - 5 *'s
midnight sun - 5 *'s
Leave a light on - 5 *'s
workin for a living - 4 and 1/2 *'s

i really wish leave a light on had a video with it...the song is awesome ....ESPECIALLY if you look at it as a message from Garth to his fans.....

legmaker07
11-28-2007, 07:40 PM
I just wanna say I enjoy reading this thread, so here is my 2 cents..
I love all 4 songs, but my fav is MTAM.. I love the video, and I love that song..

iriscrazy
11-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Oh yeah...I was so disappointed that there was no video for Leave a Light on. The words are not there either. Wonder why. Garth obviously is talking to us through this song. I felt that the first time that I heard the song but now I'm positive about it with the secret message. Thanks so much for telling us about that!

madnessmike
11-28-2007, 09:07 PM
I haven't watched the videos yet, i will do so tonight.

Lowland_Kid
11-29-2007, 02:45 AM
Leave a Light On - 5*
MTAM - 4*
Midnight Sun - 4* (Wasn't convinced the first time I heard it, seeing the video made me like it a lot better)
Working For a Living - 3* Fun, but nothing special

wmcinnis
11-29-2007, 04:28 AM
Midnight Sun-5*'s (can't get enough of this one...absolutely love the video)
MTAM-5*'s
Leave A Light On-4 1/2*'s
Workin' For A Living-3 1/2*'s ( the video helped my ranking on this one)
-Susan-

YouSoundBitter
11-29-2007, 06:02 AM
Out of the four new songs, it's like this for me!
1. MTAM First time I heard it I didn't love it because I didn't know what to expect, NOW, I love it and it'd probibly make a TOP 10 list of GBs songs for me

2. LTLO It sounds like one of those songs that people hate because he ACTUALLY sings on it, which is rare for artist these days. The emotion behind it makes me think it's one of those that was recorded in only one take...

3.MS I like it, if your making a party mix for your fall hayrides, it's a must have!

4. WFAL It's fun, but GB's voice doesn't sound clear, like it's from a cassette tape or something, and the back-up sings are in there, ALOT:-P

BUT I do love all the videos, and that makes all the songs worth having on TUH!
dwayne

madnessmike
11-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Working for a Living is a bit better if you watch the video. I have to say that I liked the song better

okiegirl2007
11-29-2007, 05:44 PM
what is the meaning behind "Leave the light on"? I hope
it's also to the ones who haven't seen him in concert yet.
*fingers crossed*

BLL
11-29-2007, 07:45 PM
During WW II families with sons overseas were encouraged to leave the porch light on to welcome home their (hopefully) returning son. It was a moral booster, as you knew just how many families were affected by the war.

"Leave a Light on' became synonymous to awaiting a loved one's return. Very fitting, eh??

GBronx
11-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the explination!!! :)

BLL
11-29-2007, 07:49 PM
You're welcome!!!

Its odd that so many people on this earth have no first hand memories of WWII now; the stories are very powerful and shaped my generation (boomers).

GBronx
11-29-2007, 07:54 PM
I was just saying the same thing around Veterans Day this year.

My dad who would have been 83 come February passed away 2 years ago.
:(
There are not many of those men and woman left!!

BLL
11-29-2007, 07:58 PM
I had two uncles at Normandy; Da was too young, served as a Ranger in Korea. With Garth's Da a Marine, I'm sure the meaning was highly apparent to Garth.

GBronx
11-29-2007, 08:01 PM
With Garth's Da a Marine, I'm sure the meaning was highly apparent to Garth.

I would think so!!

My dad was in the South Pacific!!

okiegirl2007
11-29-2007, 08:21 PM
My dad was in the Army. 56-58. He knew ELVIS. not kidding.

GBsgirl
11-29-2007, 08:45 PM
My Father in law was in the Army in Germany when Elvis was stationed there. Mom In Law has a picture of Elvis in his uniform with a handwritten note to her on the back.

BLL
11-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Very Cool!!

I'm not a huge Elvis fan (Mum and sis took that load), but I love hearing how, like Garth, he touched so many lives.

lucaswynne
11-29-2007, 10:51 PM
My star rating for Midnight Sun... 12 billion!

Mr. Midnight
11-30-2007, 03:08 AM
I feel like "Leave A Light On" should have asterisk that says "*WARNING: MUST BE PLAYED AT HIGH VOLUME*" lol...

when you listen to it just playing softly, you don't get the full effect; the subtle yet very powerful musical accents,the obviously-emotionally-driven inflections in Garth's voice. (I could see how some might think they are a sign of a shaky vocal performance, but to me, they are what make the song especially moving... and when he hits that note at the end "...you are my deeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEssstinnyyyyyyyyyy yyy..." all questions about the strength of his vocal are immediately erased...)

That being said, I could see how some people might not like this song, especially after it was sort of "hyped up" by Garth as being really good. The song really starts out kind of slow, but it just continues to build and build - never really reaching a climax, but simply fading out (perhaps symbolically? - that although you might not be hearing him for a while, just remember to leave the light on...)

Anyways, my advice to those not impressed by this song: PLAY IT LOUD!!!

Maybe then you can see why Garth was so pleased with it, ...and why I will probably be deaf by the time I'm 30 :)