PDA

View Full Version : What Did You Think of the TV Version?

jnull91
11-23-2007, 11:04 PM
It was cleaned up as far as sound was concerned. Trimmed to fit the 1-1/2 hour time slot. No band intros at all.
What did you think??

beckysue59
11-23-2007, 11:28 PM
I enjoyed it. It seems like he was having trouble with his voice, though.

GarthdaMan
11-24-2007, 12:07 AM
I loved it. They did a good job editing it and it was much better than the theatre version. It sounded and looked great!

jnull91
11-24-2007, 12:18 AM
I loved it. They did a good job editing it and it was much better than the theatre version. It sounded and looked great!

THAT'S what I meant before about "cleaning it up". It looked much better tonight than at the theater.
Poor guy - my throat hurt watching him work so darned hard!

beckysue59
11-24-2007, 12:29 AM
THAT'S what I meant before about "cleaning it up". It looked much better tonight than at the theater.
Poor guy - my throat hurt watching him work so darned hard!

At least he got a lot of help from the audience.;)

karik
11-24-2007, 12:31 AM
I liked being able to see it, at least. I missed the theater version.

adamthegarthfan
11-24-2007, 01:30 AM
The greatest version of "The Thunder Rolls" I have ever seen him do was on this concert....Anyone agree?

kea883
11-24-2007, 08:04 AM
My husband and I enjoyed it too. I thought all of the versions of the songs were great, especially Thunder and Unanswered Prayers. My sister and I did go to the November 6th show. I told my husband that everyone sings every song (especially since we could hear this audience!) and it is 100 times better when you are actually at the show. I wish Comcast would add GAC in hi-def because at the end of the credits, it did say it was filmed in high-definition. It was still an enjoyable show to watch.

kharv29rcr
11-24-2007, 10:28 AM
I thought it was kinda cool that they put in 2 pina coladas on the tv version since that was a part of the encore not shown in the theatres.. i wish they didnt cut to a commercial after every song and shown some of the parts were he was talking and joking around.. I liked it though :)

Paula
11-24-2007, 11:38 AM
I enjoyed it as well and taped the three shows since they ran back-to-back. In the concert, unless I missed them, they also cut out Good Ride Cowboy and Beaches of Cheyenne. I'd have to go back and check. I'm still hoping for a DVD to come out eventually that includes the entire show (and highlights, plus all the encore songs, from the other 9 shows).

Paula

iriscrazy
11-24-2007, 03:34 PM
I haven't seen the TV version yet. Did they cut out the "Nas-T" comment. I thought that was great! It sounds like they cut out quite a bit!

Monica Lockhart
11-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Nope...they left the Nas-T comment in! That was priceless!

BLL
11-24-2007, 05:13 PM
They mostly cut out the long crowd interaction, although I loved it when he went section by section to see who could get the loudest. Also the 'swivel' was from the back (not a bad way to see it btw) and its a frontal swivel in the broadcast. Man I felt sorry for GB- his voice was so hoarse.

Brett Dale
11-24-2007, 06:37 PM
I haven't seen the TV version yet. Did they cut out the "Nas-T" comment. I thought that was great! It sounds like they cut out quite a bit!

Whats the NAS-T comment???

iriscrazy
11-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Garth was referring to a chord played by Jimmy (I think). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, which I often am.

Monica Lockhart
11-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Actually it was Gordon Kennedy that Garth made the Nas-T comment to...referring to his playing the guitar!!

GBsgirl
11-24-2007, 08:35 PM
I only watched the first three songs......way to many commercials. Let the kids watch SPonge Bob instead (But it's NEW episodes Mom !! LOL) After seeing it in the theater, it was too hard to watch on the small non Hi Def tv at the cabin LOL

G-f
11-24-2007, 08:48 PM
OK.......I want to know who the girl was that gave him the flowers and he got down on his knees flat almost to the floor to hug or kiss her, couldn't tell for sure, even in slow motion........lol All the hands rubbing his head while he was down there......Lucky women. And who was the lady that got on the stage after he had sung "The Dance" and he was running around the stage waving good-bye and she caught up to him and gave him a big hug and looked like he gave her a kiss on the cheek. I sure thought someone would have ask about these things.

Taping it was about 1 hour 10 minutes or so, so we lost 20 minutes. Sure hope it does come out sometime on DVD.
Tricia

iriscrazy
11-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Yes, an un-cut dvd with the encore and maybe some additional footage from the other 8 shows. By Christmas would be nice. If youre going to wish and hope it might as well be big!

sky296
11-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Liked it a lot but really thought that the commercials were REALLY disturbing!!
I'm hoping for the DVD version... :D

kissncry
11-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I noticed they edited out Good Ride Cowboy and replaced Beaches of Cheyenne with Two Pina Coladas. I remember when we saw it at the theater wondering if they would edit out some of the wonkier vocals. You could tell the poor man's voice was a bit worse for the wear. As far as I can recall, Beaches was about the worst of it, so I kind of expected that song to be edited out. I was nice to see it replaced by something new I hadn't seen at the theater.

Sherry

jnull91
11-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Nope...they left the Nas-T comment in! That was priceless!

Couldn't believe that they left in "and you people in the theaters! You don't have a hair on your ass if you don't stand up and sing the third verse" (roughly quoted). Cracked me up on the 14th, and again on TV for sure!
I agree with everyone about a DVD. Hope they put everything on it - even when we made the G-A-C commercial! Lots of fun stuff.
[TV commercials make me want to throw bricks]

rhd13
11-26-2007, 04:56 PM
I got to admit that I was very impressed with the TV version of the concert. I love all of Garth's TV specials, but at the same time I am sometimes critical because we typically get a very "polished" TV special. It is usually a very predictable set list with very few "surprises". However, I absolutely loved this concert. Most of what was edited was the crowd interaction. Although I love some of that stuff we were able to see almost the entire show (minus the 2nd encore) in that hour and a half time slot. I think someone above mentioned that the only songs cut out were "Good Ride Cowboy" and "Beaches of Cheyenne". On top of that, we got "Two Pina Coladas" from the final encore.

I also loved the fact that they did edit some of the frames which made for a really smooth looking show. Not only that, I think they fixed some of the rough spots with the sound (didn't listen that critically because had family over. I plan to go back and listen more closely today). The thing I loved about that is that they fixed the rough spots, but at the same time it sounded very "raw" and "live". To me that is what is so great about live music. I hate when a "live" special isn't really "live". They didn't do that here. They kept the basic tracks "live" and only appeared to fix things where they really needed fixing. That is really cool.

All in all I think they did a great job. Jon Small is very, very good at what he does.

Now all we need is a DVD with the ENTIRE show, including the 10 songs in the final encore :)

garthtacular
11-26-2007, 07:14 PM
i wonder what the ratings are on the show?

gbcgbeliever
11-27-2007, 09:29 PM
I enjoyed it as well and taped the three shows since they ran back-to-back. In the concert, unless I missed them, they also cut out Good Ride Cowboy and Beaches of Cheyenne. I'd have to go back and check. I'm still hoping for a DVD to come out eventually that includes the entire show (and highlights, plus all the encore songs, from the other 9 shows).

Paula

i agree with you on many points esp the hope of a dvd of the entire evening ..that would be awesome... i hate they cut out the talking and kidding around he did... but loved they added 2 pina coladas ...i am so glad i was in a movie house that night (nashville ) and had the fun we had ... the audience really got into it at Opry mills.....fun fun fun...