PDA

View Full Version : Garth Committed to help Open Tulsa BOK Center

iriscrazy
11-19-2007, 06:33 PM
11/19/07 @ 5pm: KTUL TV, Channel 8, Tulsa, Ok reported that Mayor Kathy Taylor, met with Garth last week in Kansas City about performing at the new BOK Center in Tulsa, Ok which is scheduled to open 09/2008. The reporter stated, "Garth Brooks has committed to help with the opening of the arena but has not yet committed to perform." "The opening act for the BOK Center will not be announced until 2-3 months before the opening when the exact opening date is known." According to the reporter, talks are ongoing and Garth is their choice for an opening act. I tried to find a link to this article but was not successful.
I'm very hopeful that Garth will commit to performing at the BOK next year. It's about 30" from his home and the set up would be very similar to the Sprint deal. We can always hope. By then, my credit card may have recovered a bit!

dsdunnam
11-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Don't worry i'll let you all know as soon as we hear anything else here in Oklahoma.
I think he will do it , fingers crossed!

LostSessions
11-19-2007, 07:18 PM
I think he will too, since it's so close to his home. Let's just hope he performs!

YouSoundBitter
11-19-2007, 09:36 PM
So I'm guess that's how all you have to do to get GB in your town nowdays, just open a new arena:-P

Anybody have 300 million and about 10 acres here in Brooksville so I can have him come here?

brosia13
11-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for posting that, I missed the news tonight. I know before the KC concerts, he did an interview on Ch2 (the morning show) and the possibility was mentioned. He said he'd be honored if he was asked. I really cannot imagine him NOT performing here - it's home! :D

iriscrazy
11-19-2007, 10:33 PM
http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/1107/474089.html
This is the link. It sounds interesting but certainly nothing set in stone. Since Garth continues to say that he will not "tour" until the girls are grown this venue would allow him to carry on with his life as he did in KC he just wouldn't have to commute as far. So, I'm hopeful. Oklahoma is fairly centrally located for the rest of the US. I can come up with a million reason that Tulsa makes sense but most of all...it's the largest, closest city to Owasso.

alictf
11-19-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm very hopeful that Garth will commit to performing at the BOK next year. It's about 30" from his home and the set up would be very similar to the Sprint deal. We can always hope. By then, my credit card may have recovered a bit!

my thoughts exactly! and hey, i had never been to Kansas City before - and now i have...never been to Oklahoma - be very happy to have a reason to go there next year!!!!!!!

gloria07m
11-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Just in case this come to be, I am already saving !
Gloria

randyinkc
11-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Garth's "people"--if you are lurking here somewhere--this is an excellent idea. My only request is that you schedule the performances so that they cover more than one weekend. I want my then to be 9 year old and 7 year old to be able to come, but it would need to be a weekend performance.....

Mr_Sevens
11-20-2007, 11:18 PM
i'd love to see this happen!
a day or so before the KC shows started Garth was interviewed live here on KOTV in Tulsa. One of the questions that came up was if Garth would like to open the BOK Center. He said that if they contacted him about it they wouldn't definitely look into it.

okiegirl2007
11-20-2007, 11:48 PM
my thoughts exactly! and hey, i had never been to Kansas City before - and now i have...never been to Oklahoma - be very happy to have a reason to go there next year!!!!!!!

Omg. you have never been to Oklahoma before? Oklahoma is
a wonderful state. We are Known as the Sooner State.
I love living here. I wonder why? ;)

karik
11-20-2007, 11:56 PM
So I'm guess that's how all you have to do to get GB in your town nowdays, just open a new arena:-P

Anybody have 300 million and about 10 acres here in Brooksville so I can have him come here?

No, build a big arena in Iowa! He barely ever came here when he toured. We have many arenas(wells fargo arena, u.s. cellular arena, and the UNI dome) that he could play in! Oh, my dream come true. But I did get to see him in Kansas City, so I guess I shouldn't complain...

mikeb49
11-26-2007, 02:22 AM
Omg. you have never been to Oklahoma before? Oklahoma is
a wonderful state. We are Known as the Sooner State.
I love living here. I wonder why? ;)

i agree... i love the fact that i live in such a beautiful state

lucaswynne
11-29-2007, 11:09 PM
I guess my only question is... why can't my town open a couple huge arenas... you know, a couple to increase the chances of Garth playing.

iriscrazy
11-30-2007, 08:17 AM
I just hope that he continues to have an occasional concert...anywhere!

SenileOkie
11-30-2007, 04:53 PM
I heard a commercial the other day for tickets to Celine Dion at the BOK in 2008. Tickets are on sale now. I hope she isn't the opening concert! Garth would be 1000% better!

iriscrazy
11-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Nope, she's not the opening act. The Tulsa TV station's have all mentioned that fact. However, Garth wasn't the "first" act for the Sprint center either. He did the ribbon cutting thing but I think that Elton John and someone else was there before Garth. The thing that bugs me is that he said that in a couple of months thing would go back to the way they were. I hope that's not true. I got a fix but I'll need another before too long. Certainly sooner than 10 years!

jackieb
12-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Hey all! I'm new to Planet Garth. I have been a fan of his since I saw him perform in 1996. I will definitely try to go to this if he does perform! Really hoping to meet him finally!