PDA

View Full Version : Garth Brooks At the Ford Center in Oklahoma City

Robert Wassink
11-17-2007, 02:14 AM
Hey people,

I just came back from the Oklahoma City Concert,
well the concert was great, but Garth... didnīt perform.
He only introduced Reba McEntire, he didnt sing himself.

I am verry disappointed about it,
I came all the way from Holland to see him.

In spite off that, I had a nice evening,
went to Toby Keithīs I Love this bar to meet some PGers,
after waiting 40 minutes I met Kristen (GarthDreamer77),
the rest off the people we were supposted to meet didn't show up,
or we couldnt find them.

I spend the rest off the time after the concert with Kristen and her mom,
she is a verry nice girl, Kristen if you are reading this,
that you so much for a nice evening!

Well, I hope to see a Garth Brooks song live one day,
It's just to bad he didn't perform tonight...

brosia13
11-17-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm so sorry you came all this way and didn't even get to see him perform. It's very disappointing that he didn't. I think one reason the event sold out so fast was that everyone thought he'd sing on stage.

For those of you in eastern OK - did any of you happen to see the News On 6 last night? They had some of the celebrities talking about their ties to Oklahoma. Carrie Underwood was so cute - she said something like, "I don't know if any of ya'll have noticed, but Garth Brooks just walked in the room. I haven't seen him in person since I was, like 10, so I'm kind of freaking out right now!" lol Then they showed him come up and talked about being proud of where he's from, but they cut him off. (GRRR) I tried to find a clip of it, but they don't have one on the site.

iriscrazy
11-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Robert, What a gracious person you are. I only drove 150 miles and I'm not as gracious about last night. I kept thinking about you. My gosh, this person came from Holland and Garth didn't even sing! Our seats were not where they were supposed to be as the set section c behind section A instead of 3 sections in a row like it shows on ticketmaster. I will be speaking to someone about that. The show was very nice but it was TOTALLY MISREPRESENTED! We were at the Rennaisance Hotel and it was packed with unhappy people who thought they were going to concert. Robert, from an Okie...I apologize. I am just so incredibly disappointed!

Faye Edwards
11-17-2007, 11:57 PM
Robert, I too, am sorry that you didn't get to see Garth perform. My daughter and I were supposed to meet with you and Kristen at Toby Keith's but we couldn't find you all. We didn't get there til 5:00 because of having a hard time gettting to the place. Then we went in and asked for a table reserved in Kristen's name and they didn't have one. So, we walked around thru the restaurant thinking that maybe someone would seee that my daughter had a Garth shirt on and ask if we were any of the PG people but no one did. I guess we should have discussed a way of recognizing each other. Any way we went on to the Ford Center and stood out by the red carpet where the TV crews were expecting the stars to show up. That was a dud too because no one had showed up when it was time for the celebration to start.And like Iriscrazy, our seats were taken by someone else. But we got an usher and he got our seats for us. AND then Garth didn't even perform! We were really bummed out. And I thought we were going to a concert type show and were really disappointed. We had driven up from Fort Worth Tx which was a 3 hour drive, nothing like your trip. Sooooo, I am sorry that it turned out like it did. Hopefully Garth will offer a reason why he didn't perform. Faye

okiegirl2007
11-18-2007, 01:03 AM
I watched the show last night on tv. I watched Garth introduce
the video package on April 19th, 1995. day of the Oklahoma City
bombing. I started cryin when he was talking about that. Then
Reba singing that song, started cryin more. I have been to the
Ford Center before. It's HUGE. Watched Wrestling in person there
2 yrs. ago.

I definatly started crying during the performance of Toby Keith's
"American Soldier". Seeing our soldiers on them steps made me
think how proud i am to be a american.

luvsgarth62
11-18-2007, 01:14 AM
Guys,

I went to the concert last night and I really enjoyed it, but I did get kinda bummmed that he didn't sing. My mom went with me and she said something this morning that made sense. She said that if Garth had sang, he would've been the total center of attention, and the show was about Oklahoma's birthday, and he probably didn't want to take that away. But like mom said, I've seen him in concert (through the big screen) and I've been in the same room as him. So, I think all and all it was okay. I just gotta hope that sometime I'll get to meet him face to face! He was absolutely gorgeous with his hat off!!

Talk to ya later,
-Alicia

LostSessions
11-18-2007, 11:49 AM
I looked for fellow PG'ers at Toby Keith's restaurant too. I knew Kristen and Robert were supposed to be there. I asked if anyone had reserved a table under "Planet Garth" and they said no. I also scanned the room for anyone wearing any Garth attire. We stayed about 10 minutes looking and gave up and left. So sorry I missed you guys. I really wanted to meet you, especially considering someone came all the way from Holland to see Garth. So thanks Robert, and so sorry Garth didn't perform. But if you heard anyone yelling, "We love you Garth!" That was me!

And I knew Garth wasn't going to perform. It was a shame too. His song "The Change" would have fit perfectly with the memorial to the OKC bombing, but in all respect, Reba's song was absolutely awesome too. It's just every other musician from Oklahoma performed, except for Garth. Reba performed several times, as did Vince Gill. They could at least given Garth 30 seconds or something, or cut one of Vince's songs out...just a thought...

LostSessions
11-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention this...

We waited for about 45 minutes after the show was over hoping Garth would come back out to mingle with people. A girl from New Mexico was talking to our Governor about coming all the way to see Garth. He said he would go and try to find Garth and ask if he would come back out and talk with us. Well...after about 10 minutes, our Governor (Brad Henry) came back out and told us he tried to find Garth, but that he had already left. Wow. The governor of our great state actually took the time to do that for someone who wasn't even from our state! I thought that was just awesome! He could have just went backstage and forgot all about the little crowd of Garth fans...lol...but he didn't! That was very classy, so thanks Gov. Henry.

I was also asking those people if they ever heard of Planet Garth, hoping I could still meet some of you guys that attended, but they said they were not members. :*(

Robert Wassink
11-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Hey people,

Thanks for all the messages,
I am still in Oklahoma City,
It's a shame we (Kristen and me) didn't meet you Faye and LostSessions,
would have been nice if I met some more PGers.

Yesterday I went to Owasso to maybe see Garth,
I have been in front off his gate from 1 pm untill 7pm,
but he didn't come out.

There were some other Garth fans too,
there was a woman from New Zealand,
she had been there 2 days ago and got to meet Garth,
I saw the pictures. But yesterday Garth didn't show up.

The funniest thing was, the woman from New Zealand recognized me,
when I told her I was from Holland, she asked me "Are you Robert?",
turns out she is a PGer too.

It's a shame I didn't see a Garth performance,
but in spite of that I had a nice time and met some nice people.

So when Garth has a big concert,
maybe in about a year or 2,
I hope to come back for a second attempt to see him perform.

Thank you all!

iriscrazy
11-19-2007, 07:42 PM
I called the people that I bought my ticket for the Ford Center from. They are going to refund the price of the ticket because our seats were not where they were supposed to be. (They totally changed the floor seating from what it showed on the website). Also, he said that Garth was to sing but "backed out" at the last minute and he has not heard why. The show was nice but it was totally misrepresented. I intend to speak with the organizers of the show to let them know how disappointed many people were when they expected a "concert." I wish we had known about KC before OKC!

LostSessions
11-19-2007, 08:16 PM
I think it was misrepresented too. The whole night had a musical "Oklahoma" feel to it. I'm sorry, but our state is more than that musical. There should have only been a mention about the musical; it should not have been the theme to the night.

They didn't even mention the "World's Greatest Athlete"--Jim Thorpe (from my hometown...) I wondered how in the world they omitted him and kept on singing songs from that musical...Grrrr......

I'm kind of embarassed for those people who traveled out of state and from another country to come and see Garth. Because if anything, I wanted you guys to share in the milestone of our state celebrating our centennial and the Native American history behind our state.

These are just my two cents...

Robert Wassink
11-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Well people,

I am back home again,
going to sleep now,
I will tell more about my USA trip later this week,
I think tomorrow.

Hopefully there will be a big Garth concert again,
maybe in a year or something.

See ya!

luvsgarth62
11-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Guys,

I saw in the Daily Oklahoman why he didn't sing. There was an article titled something like "Why Garth Brooks didn't sing" and it went on to say that when the centenial people started getting it all arranged, Garth wasn't singing at the time, but he had planned to be there, well, even though he was singing a little bit, the concert was all booked up. So, that made a lot more sense to me. Hopefully it does to everyone else.

-Alicia

okiegirl2007
11-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Guys,

I saw in the Daily Oklahoman why he didn't sing. There was an article titled something like "Why Garth Brooks didn't sing" and it went on to say that when the centenial people started getting it all arranged, Garth wasn't singing at the time, but he had planned to be there, well, even though he was singing a little bit, the concert was all booked up. So, that made a lot more sense to me. Hopefully it does to everyone else.

-Alicia

Wow. now we know why he didn't sing. it was all booked up.
it does make sense.

We totally understand Garth. :)

iriscrazy
11-24-2007, 07:49 PM
If would've been nice if the promoters would have advertised the event that way. I feel that we were lead to believe that it was a concert of sorts and that Garth would be one of the performers. I am not upset with Garth but rather the promoters of the event. The advertisements on OETA made it look like a concert with Garth, Reba, Toby, Vince and Carrie as the perfomers. If we had known what it actually was we would've sold our tickets and stayed another night in KC. It was a nice program, just not what we expected.

Jona
11-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Here is a lik to a article about it

http://newsok.com/article/3171318/1195576714

iriscrazy
11-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the link. Again...we are not unhappy with Garth. I understand the why of the whole thing now but I feel that they used Garth's name to sell tickets and left the impression that he would perform and never said, "Garth Brooks will present." On awards shows they list perfomers and presenters. This is the last time I will whine about this. I've learned a lesson which is to know what you are paying for. I should've researched it better and let other's on PG know so all could've made an informed decision.

okiegirl2007
11-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the link Jona. I totally understand. I am not mad with Garth, there is no reason to be. He just wanted to support his fellow Oklahomans with paying tribute to the Okc bombing victims.

What is the reason behind "Leave the Light on"?
Is it for the fans that haven't seen him in person?
I just start crying when i hear it. :(

jackieb
12-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the link. I was the one from New Mexico with the sign saying "Garth, I've Got To Meet You!!! I came from New Mexico!!" It made the news, and like LostSessions said, Governor Henry even went to try to find Garth for me, but Garth had already left.

And I met Robert at Garth's house fence the day after. We (Robert, my friend Karen, and I, plus a few others that came later) hoped to meet him with no luck. Hopefully he'll perform at the BOK Center next year, and Karen and I will try to go to that, and then hopefully be able to stay a couple extra days to try to meet him at his house again. Gotta make it happen!!

LostSessions
12-02-2007, 12:36 AM
jackieb,

I saw you there at the Ford Center with the sign!!!! We came down after the show, and my husband asked you if you had ever heard of Planet Garth (he was a little short guy, and I'm tall and had a blue hoody on from the KC concert). We waited down there until our Governor came out and told you that Garth had already left. I even wrote about you I think in this forum topic. I felt bad for you, but was humbled that our Governor took the time to go backstage and try to find Garth.

I'm glad you got to meet Robert. I was supposed to meet with him and some other fellow PG'ers before the concert, but couldn't find them.

iriscrazy
12-02-2007, 12:42 AM
Hey Jackieb....just keep believing! It'll happen. After the Ford Center Show were you standing with a sign and as Garth walked to the back of the stage a curly haired, middle aged blonde gal said, "if you'll run I will?" (Meaning lets jump up on the stage and make a run for Garth). If so, that crazy gal was me. I was just shocked that he didn't sing and now was walking away! I almost ran for it but there was a lot of guards. Now I wish I had. I think Garth would've came back out. He just looked kind of dumb founded with the whole thing. It had to be a let down for him after KC. It sure was for me.

jackieb
12-02-2007, 01:28 AM
I do remember both of you, LostSessions and iriscrazy! It was nice meeting you both... and I wish I could have made it to the stage sooner than I did, but it was really hard trying to get up there. If I had made it there sooner, maybe I could have yelled "GARTH!" and he may have been able to hear me. But I will keep trying to make it happen! I have met over 170 celebrities, including John Travolta and Kevin Costner, so in my eyes, I will make it happen someday!

It was nice meeting you both!

iriscrazy
12-02-2007, 01:39 AM
When I got to the stage he was taking a picture with one of the Miss America's. I was SCREAMING GARTH! He looked like he was trying to find who was yelling but looked the wrong way. MY GOSH is he gorgeous! Anyway, I didn't realize that he was still on the stage and when I did I just took off running, yep, leaving everything behind. Luckily my level headed daughter picked up my camera and bag. I was still just stunned with the whole ordeal and so disappointed. I really wanted to just sit down and bawl!

jackieb
12-02-2007, 06:00 PM
I saw him take a picture with one of the Miss America's too. I was still trying to make my way through the crowd, holding up my sign as high as I could, hoping he would see it. Just didn't work! And then I saw him talk with Toby a bit, and then leave the stage. Someday...

Robert Wassink
12-03-2007, 05:05 AM
Hey people!

I had to work a lot lately,
so I have not been on planetgarth so much,
Jackie, I see you joined planetgarth too,
that's great, and thanks a lot!! for sending me the ultimate hits!

I think it's a shame Garth didn't come out off his house to meet us at the gate.

I have some photo's I made at the Ford center and at Garths house.

I hope I will be back in the USA in about a year,
had quite a nice time there, met really great people.

Allthough Garth didn't perform at the Ford Center,
It was a really nice show, I am still listening to the the "Oklahoma Rising" song.

If I ever get back to Oklahoma, maybe to Tulsa or something,
I am definitely gonna try to meet Garth at the gate off his house again (or at a concert he is giving, would be much better).

Photo's are coming online this week, at this thread,
and Jackie, I already started collecting shot glasses!

jackieb
12-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Hey Robert...

Save up for September 2008 just in case. As another thread here says, he may perform at the new BOK Center in Tulsa, and then that will be closer to his house, so more likely to meet him! Karen and I are already talking about it!

Steven75407
12-06-2007, 10:54 AM
You know, I watched the OK Centennial thing on OklaTravel.net yesterday afternoon, and they cut out not only his intro but Reba's solo performance, although they did show her singing with Vince. How disrespectful!

One more statement: I love that song "Oklahoma Rising," that Vince and Jimmy Webb wrote. I can picture Garth singing it with great power and passion in his voice.

DavidN
12-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Ya know, it wasn't a "Garth event". Don't know why people are so upset/mad over him not singing.

LostSessions
12-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Lots of people are upset that Garth didn't perform because he was the ONLY singer from Oklahoma that didn't sing. And seeing as how he's the most popular, everyone just expected that he would sing at least one song.

iriscrazy
12-08-2007, 01:50 AM
Ya know, it wasn't a "Garth event". Don't know why people are so upset/mad over him not singing.
Yes, it wasn't a Garth event. It was how it was marketed that I have a problem with. Everyone was led to believe that Garth would sing. I expected steak and got jerky.

Garthni
12-09-2007, 02:04 AM
Hey guys...
I was at OKC too. I have been trying to respond to all your postings, but was finally able to get signed on. I was next to you... New Mexico, after the concert. I had the GarthnI license plate. I was so disappointed. I agree they shouldn't have promoted the event the way they did. You all mentioned that you waited outside of his house. Do you know where he lives? Or better yet, do you know where I can mail a letter to? I was so bummed, i wanted him to know. I flew all the way in, spent money on a hotel... told my friends I was going to see Garth... and all I saw was him introduce Reba. I thought for sure he would sing The Change... oh well, I guess I'll wait another 10 years.

jackieb
12-09-2007, 03:27 AM
Hey guys...
I was at OKC too. I have been trying to respond to all your postings, but was finally able to get signed on. I was next to you... New Mexico, after the concert. I had the GarthnI license plate. I was so disappointed. I agree they shouldn't have promoted the event the way they did. You all mentioned that you waited outside of his house. Do you know where he lives? Or better yet, do you know where I can mail a letter to? I was so bummed, i wanted him to know. I flew all the way in, spent money on a hotel... told my friends I was going to see Garth... and all I saw was him introduce Reba. I thought for sure he would sing The Change... oh well, I guess I'll wait another 10 years.

I do remember you! I know it wasn't a Garth event, but they definitely promoted having him as a performer. Even after the event I have seen advertisements showing "Performers include Garth Brooks."

I do know where he lives, but don't have a definite address, plus it's kinda hard to describe. I would send a letter to GB Management.

Robert Wassink
12-09-2007, 08:24 AM
I do remember you! I know it wasn't a Garth event, but they definitely promoted having him as a performer. Even after the event I have seen advertisements showing "Performers include Garth Brooks."

I do know where he lives, but don't have a definite address, plus it's kinda hard to describe. I would send a letter to GB Management.

Hey Garthni, I was there to at Garth's house, together with Jackie,
many people want to know where he lives,
but it's not a good thing to ask it here on the forums,
so please dont do that, if you want some information about it, you could always pm me, maybe I will give some details to you.

I am gonna post some photo's here today,
pictures I made in OK,
I dont know if it's permitted to post photo's I made at Garth's house overhere.

okiegirl2007
12-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey guys...

We won't post the info of where he lives exactly due to it's disrepectful
and he needs Privacy. We should show some respect. If you want the info,
it's best that you e-mail or pm the person. don't ask on the forums where everyone can read.

Robert Wassink
12-09-2007, 03:24 PM
That's what I just told the post above yours

LostSessions
12-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Hey guys...

Garthni:

I saw you there too. I kept eyeing your license plate trying to see what it said. Finally caught a glimpse of it and thought it was the coolest thing! I just assumed you were with jackieb the "girl from New Mexico." My husband and I were hanging around you guys also trying to get Garth's attention and hoping he would come back out. So sorry you didn't get to speak with him. If you would have showed him your license plate, he would have been very impressed I'm sure. Don't give up. Your day will come! And I stated earlier that I had a blue hoody on...I didn't. I had a white t-shirt on that said, "The Cat in the Hat is back...and he has 9 lives..." from the KC concert. Hope you remember seeing me there. Hopefully our paths will cross again at another Garth event!

iriscrazy
12-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Garthni...what does the license plate say?

okiegirl2007
12-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Garthni...what does the license plate say?

Please post your license plate here. is it garth related?

LostSessions
12-09-2007, 06:47 PM
iriscrazy and okiegirl...

I can answer what the license plate said since I saw it. It says GARTHNI.

Just like her profile name. Very cool.

okiegirl2007
12-09-2007, 07:57 PM
iriscrazy and okiegirl...

I can answer what the license plate said since I saw it. It says GARTHNI.

Just like her profile name. Very cool.

oh, ok. that is cool. :D

Robert Wassink
12-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Here is a youtube movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDXuCgaYKsg

I posted it this morning,
pictures are coming, had some trouble with my camera.

CountryBee
12-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Robert, thanks for the link to the video. As great as it was to see Garth, I'm very glad that you recorded Reba's song. "If I had only Known" is one of my favorite Reba songs. I would have loved to have been at that celebration just to see everyone, not only Garth. And, I'm not even from Oklahoma, I'm California born and raised.
Bee

LostSessions
12-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Hey Robert,

I'm pretty sure that I was the one yelling, "I LOVE YOU GARTH!!!"

You can hear me yelling that right before Reba starts singing. It was very quiet and I knew Garth would hear me.

HOW COOL IS THAT???

Thanks for posting this Robert!

Very cool indeed. (My voice has been on YouTube, lol)

Robert Wassink
12-12-2007, 05:59 AM
Hey LostSessions,
I do remember someone yelling "I LOVE YOU GARTH" and when I listen to the video I made I hear it, didn't know it was you. I thought of yelling myself, but I didn't because I was shocked that Garth didn't sing.

I have some other video's off the centennial, going to post them next week, if so I will post some links here on planetgarth.

LostSessions
12-12-2007, 09:01 PM
I can't wait to see the other video's you made Robert. :)