PDA

View Full Version : Some cool info...

rhd13
11-16-2007, 12:00 PM
What's up guys? I know I'm not known very well around here because I don't post very often. I am on here all the time, just don't usually post.

Anyways, living in Nashville is amazing because you never know how you might run into. Last night I went to the movie theater and had on my GB hoodie from the show I went to on Saturday night. When I walked into the theater this guy pointed at me and started walking my way. He shook my hand and said, "Were you at the show?" I said, "Yes, sir. I was there Saturday night." The man was Jon Small!

If you don't know who Jon Small is, he is the guy who has directed almost all (if not all) of Garth's videos and TV specials. He said that he was coming out tonight (Thursday) to check out the work he had done the night before. Awesome stuff.

We struck up a conversation and I asked him several questions. I asked if there would be a DVD. He never gave me a straight answer, but he did say that it would be broadcast on GAC (in a slightly shorter version) beginning on Friday the 23rd. He also gave me some other details that I don't think I should share because this was obviously a one on one conversation where he was telling me stuff that he wouldn't want public. Let's just say that some of the Garth rumors you are hearing are true. We will see him again on network TV before 2007 is done.

Also, he said something else really interesting. He said that after seeing their dad play live, that Garth's girls told their dad that he should be out performing. He said that the girl's minds were just blown at the kind of reaction their dad got on stage. If you remember his oldest daughter was only 6 when he stopped touring in 1998.

He also said other cool stuff. He said that he has worked with just about every major performer in the book and that the crowd on Monday night, when Garth hit the stage, was the loudest crowd he'd ever seen. Thought that was pretty cool.

By the way, Bob Doyle (Garth's manager) was also at the theater sitting with Jon Small. How cool is that? Got to see the movie in the same theater as Garth's manager and the guy who actually directed it!!!

Anyways, appears we have more Garth on the way before the year is out.

sky296
11-16-2007, 12:34 PM
AWESOME story! Thank you so much for sharing!!

Glad the girls like it so much. Maybe he'll think about using school breaks for concerts in the states so that they could come with him...

Another Garth appearance than the one on GAC?? :) NICE!!!

GBronx
11-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks for sharing!!

Friends of mine who live in the Nashville area met up with Tony Arata and Pat Alger after the show!! (not sure what theater they were at)
I'm jealous!!! LOL

rhd13
11-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Yes, another Garth appearance besides the GAC special!!! From what he was saying the details were still being worked out, but I can promise you, unless something changes there will be a Garth network special (I think he said CBS) before the end of the year.

GarthdaMan
11-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Very cool! Thanks for sharing. Jon Small has consistently raised the bar with his music videos and concert specials. Can't wait for what is to come!

Trishy
11-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Hey I was at the theater yesterday in Green Hills. What does John Small look like? Did you also see that Bruce (the steele guitarist) was there?

I was there with my hubby, my nanny and her hubby and my 2 year old daughter (we sat in the front row) who was shrilling and screaming at the top of her lungs. That was her first time in a movie theater, but it was ok to scream....hopefully she doesn't think she can do that at every movie...

There was one guy, he had like a mullet hair cut with glasses and he remembered seeing us at the concert and laughed at us for being there again...

I could have killed my husband (he's not a Garth Fan) when they gave garth that banner at the stadium my husband was joking (kind of loud) saying "hey, how about a key to the city"....then laughing saying wow, is that genuine silk screen, etc. etc.. making fun of the banner.

T

rhd13
11-16-2007, 02:28 PM
I missed Bruce!!! Wish I would've seen him. I would have enjoyed speaking to him. I think you were referring to Jon. He has a mullet type haircut. He was a super nice guy.

Mr.Blue
11-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Did you happen to ask Mr. Small about the omission of the acoustic encores?

rhd13
11-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I actually did. We talked about the various encores from night to night and I asked him why they were cut out of the show. He said that it was done at Garth's request. He said that Garth wanted that portion of the show to be only for those people that were actually at the show. He made the implication that that is one of the reasons Garth does the encores the way he does. They are done "on the fly" and no one, apparently not even Garth, knows exactly what is going to happen when he comes out for the final encore.

I told Mr. Small that I really would like to see those someday, but apparently those were omitted at Garth's request.

FreeBird
11-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Garth normally puts the encores on the DVD's or tapes of his performances that are released for sale. (his NYC and Ireland concerts for example) perhaps if we get the DVD of the performance, we'll get the encores as well! ^_^

alictf
11-16-2007, 04:56 PM
I just can't imagine what the girls must of been thinking during the concert they were at. It had to just BLOW them away! and how could they not tell him that is what he should be doing.... i was at the show they were at (tuesdays) and it was crazy! they must of thought we were crazy! :)

but i would have to say tuesday was not quite as loud and crazy as the the first show (i was also at). Monday night was so loud it was just insane...when he shot up out of that stage - Mr. Small was right - it was CRAZY! i've never seen/heard anything like it.

thanks for the inside info! can't wait to hear the full details!!!!!! can't wait to see him on tv, especially since all these talk show appearances are having to be cancelled! and i too hope that when the DVD comes out, the encores will be on there!!!

Trishy
11-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Yes, it must have been Mr. Small with the mullett. He walked by us several times in KC and we just smiled at him (he had a garth laynard). Then we saw him at the Theater, he actually kinda pointed and chuckled (like these crazy's are here in TN). It was cute. I didn't know it was him.

Bruce came in right as the lights went down. We glanced back and he waved at Bob then sat down as it was just starting. He was wearing a dark jacket and a ball cap.

Oh, and a friend of mine told me that probably the reason (this is speculation but he is a music major at Belmont) Garth didn't show the encore was because he would have to pay royalties on any song that wasn't his that he played. That made sense to me..... who knows....

LilWhiteTankTop
11-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Yeah, there's no way they would show the cover medley, due to royalties. But the other songs during the encore (That Summer, Much Too Young...) will hopefully be released if(when) they release the show.

Mostly I just want That Summer because it's my faaaaaavorite.

YouSoundBitter
11-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Ah, I think he's sold enough albums in his career to pay some royalties, and he did do Shameless. Anyhow, it's like post in another thread, they didn't show that part because it was a "treat" for the crowd there. They were the first ones to buy tickets but waited the longest, he said.