PDA

View Full Version : Mandrell Tribute Album

wmcinnis
05-12-2006, 06:29 AM
Friday, 05/12/06
Mandrell tribute album: Kenny & Reba & Willie, oh my!

By BRAD SCHMITT

You know what the title of this project is going to be, right? That's right, it's She Was Country When Country Wasn't Cool: A Tribute to Barbara Mandrell.

BNA Records is putting it out Oct. 10, and some big country stars already have cut their songs or have committed to the project.

Reba McEntire and Kenny Chesney are teaming up for Barbara's signature "I Was Country When Country Wasn't Cool." Brad Paisley is doing "In Times Like These."

Willie Nelson and Shelby Lynne will turn in a cover of "This Time I Almost Made It." (Word is that Shelby is believed to have once been a member of Barbara's fan club.)

Terri Clark gets the uber-popular "Sleeping Single in a Double Bed," Alabama lead singer Randy Owen will do "Years" and Lorrie Morgan will do "That's What Friends Are For." Dierks Bentley is covering "Fast Lanes and Country Roads."

There might be a TV special attached to the tribute. Nashville TV producer and music video guru Robert Deaton is working with Barbara's daughter, one-time soap star Jaime Dudney, on doing some interviews and getting footage together.

This is a nifty project because artists from all different record label groups are coming together to do it.

And I'm glad to see it because Barbara was my very first celebrity interview ever in Nashville. She was kind enough to not tell all of her celebrity buddies what a yutz I was.

GBsgirl
05-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Never really cared for Barbara. Liked her music just didn't care for her.

Pammy

Garth_BradFan
05-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Kenny and Reba singing together? Sounds interesting.

pancakes
05-23-2006, 10:07 PM
This does sound pretty cool, I'm a sucker for tribute cds