PDA

View Full Version : Michael W. Smith Makes Motion Picture Debut in THE SECOND CHANCE

fuzzwuzz
12-30-2005, 12:53 AM
I have been waiting a long time to finally see this happen! Smitty in movies!! Yes!!!! Yes!!!!! Yes!!!!! :)

THE SECOND CHANCE, a Provident Films release, starring Michael W. Smith in his film debut, directed and co-written by Steve Taylor, will be distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing under the Triumph Films banner on February 17, 2006.

The original motion picture soundtrack will be released by Reunion Records on December 27, 2005.

In THE SECOND CHANCE, GRAMMY® and Dove® Award-winning superstar Michael W. Smith plays Ethan Jenkins, the associate pastor of a mega-church in the wealthy, predominantly white suburbs. When Ethan’s unorthodox style gets him in trouble with church leadership, his senior pastor/father Jeremiah Jenkins (J. Don Ferguson, Remember The Titans) sends him downtown to serve at their sister church, a black congregation in the projects.

Veteran stage actor and playwright jeff obafemi carr stars as Jake Sanders, the street tough pastor of Second Chance Community Church. Ethan arrives to find his church’s “outreach” to the struggling community is creating resentment and mistrust. Sparks fly from day one when Jake takes Ethan on a tour of the ‘hood, and the situations they encounter lay bare Ethan’s misconceptions and insecurities. Jake and his wife Amanda (Lisa Arrindell Anderson,Clockers, Madea’s Family Reunion) struggle to find common ground with Ethan as they face street gangs, systemic poverty and those who would destroy their church for political gain.

The film will open in 35 key markets on February 17 with plans to expand to additional markets in following weeks. A full market and theater listing will be available in coming weeks on www.thesecondchancemovie.com.

THE SECOND CHANCE Synopsis

THE SECOND CHANCE is directed by Steve Taylor from a script by Taylor, Chip Arnold and Ben Pearson. J. Clarke Gallivan, Coke Sams and Steve Taylor are producers; Michael Hagerty and Ben Howard executive producers.

Michael W. Smith is one of the most popular artists in Contemporary Christian music. A native of Kenova, WV, Smith launched his career as a keyboard player in Amy Grant's band. To date he has tallied 29 #1 singles, nine Gold and three Platinum albums, 40 Dove Awards and three Grammy Awards. His 18 studio albums account for more than 13 million units sold. Healing Rain, released last year, is his 18th album and first pop studio record since 1999’s This Is Your Time. Smith lives in Nashville with his wife of 23 years, Debbie, and their five children.

A licensed minister, jeff obafemi carr (Jake Sanders) was featured in the 1995 film “Panther” and is a commentator on NPR’s “The Tavis Smiley Show.” He is also artistic director of Nashville's AmunRa Theatre. As a playwright he has had many works produced, and has performed as an actor with the Tennessee Repertory Theater, Alabama Shakespeare Festival, Portland Center Stage Company and Bristol Riverside Theater. His essays have been published in “Essence,” “The Black World Today” and “The Tennessee Tribune.”

Steve Taylor (writer, director, producer) was raised in Denver and studied music and film at Colorado University. His parallel careers as a filmmaker, recording artist, songwriter and record producer have earned multiple GRAMMY®, Billboard and Dove Awards and nominations, including two GRAMMY® nominations for his albums Meltdown and Squint. He was also lead singer in the MCA-signed modern rock band Chagall Guevara. Music videos directed by Taylor include Sixpence None The Richer’s “Kiss Me,” and his producer resume includes the Platinum-certified Sixpence None the Richer and three Gold albums for Newsboys. In 1997 he launched Squint Entertainment, a record label and film production company whose roster included Sixpence, Chevelle, Burlap To Cashmere and hip-hop collective L.A. Symphony. Taylor is currently completing the screenplay for Jerry’s Kids, a comedy he plans to direct in 2006.

http://www.ccmmagazine.com/musicnews/1714.aspx

fuzzwuzz
12-30-2005, 12:55 AM
Offhand, what is Garth's relationship to Michael W. Smith? :)

YouSoundBitter
01-01-2006, 07:40 PM
I love him!!!!!!

Michael was in Garth's video for WSBF, other than that, I don't know. It'd be cool if Garth did Place in this world or even EMILY for his own girls.

dwayne

fuzzwuzz
01-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Not only to Garth, but Chris Gaines AND Garth. Can you name him?

Skywise
01-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Sounds like it could be a good movie!

Wayne Kirkpatrick is a co-writer for CG and MWS songs.. (I think Wayne, Michael, and Amy wrote 'friends' together, and wayne was cowriter on it don't matter to the sun?)

fuzzwuzz
01-02-2006, 11:46 PM
But how is Wayne related to Garth himself? :)

Skywise
01-03-2006, 12:19 AM
But how is Wayne related to Garth himself? :)

that I don't know

fuzzwuzz
01-03-2006, 12:38 AM
think Scarecrow

fuzzwuzz
01-03-2006, 12:39 AM
Sounds like it could be a good movie!

Wayne Kirkpatrick is a co-writer for CG and MWS songs.. (I think Wayne, Michael, and Amy wrote 'friends' together, and wayne was cowriter on it don't matter to the sun?)

He's also the guy behind "Place in this World" and "Secret Amibition", just for starters!

Skywise
01-03-2006, 01:14 AM
was Wayne one of the WUIY co-writers?

YouSoundBitter
01-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Didn't Wayne do alot of CG? Who did vocals for MLTMS from Chris' Greatest Hits? Amy was also on We Shall be Free.

I want to say there is another connection between Garth and Smitty, thinking....thinking....thinking...

dwayne

fuzzwuzz
01-04-2006, 12:23 AM
"Wrapped Up in You" was right Scott. Not sure if Gordon Kennedy had a hand in writing that song.

Wayne was all-over the Chris Gaines project(so was Gordon who sang "My Love Tells Me So"), as he was and is again with Smitty's music.

I want to see this movie, I know that!! :)

Skywise
01-04-2006, 12:24 AM
it'll be a good movie!

That's right- Wayne Kirkpatrick had an album (I think called the maple room) that featured WUIY in it!

fuzzwuzz
01-04-2006, 12:30 AM
It was Wayne's first solo album.

Guess what else was on The Maple Room ?

YouSoundBitter
01-05-2006, 05:37 PM
"My Armageddon" was one of the songs Garth did, too? :-)

Skywise
01-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Im ight be wrong but I don't know that Garth did that one

fuzzwuzz
01-05-2006, 11:53 PM
It was supposed to be on The Lamb soundtrack but Wayne felt good about putting his own version on his solo album in the meantime. Garth actually requested that song written by Wayne and Gordon for the movie. Hearing the first version Garth felt they could do better and it became a more personal experience to them as the writers the second time around.

Kurt Evans
01-07-2006, 05:34 PM
I think Wayne, Michael, and Amy wrote 'friends' together ...
"Friends" came out on the Michael W. Smith Project in 1983. That was Michael's first record, and I'm pretty sure his wife Debbie wrote the lyrics for all the songs.

fuzzwuzz
01-07-2006, 09:25 PM
I believe Debbie did have a hand on "Friends". Smitty describes that signature song as very "supernatural".

Skywise
01-07-2006, 10:40 PM
she did- she is listed as the lyricist... i know that amy, gary Chapman, and Michael W smith are on hte cover of the sheet music.. but that's diff.

fuzzwuzz
02-04-2006, 12:30 AM
CBN.com – ABOUT THE MOVIE
On February 17th, CCM veteran Michael W. Smith and stage actor and playwright jeff obafemi carr (who, as a personal reminder of his submission to God, spells his name in all lowercase letters) come together for the film The Second Chance, produced by Steve Taylor.

In the film, Smith plays Ethan Jenkins, the assistant pastor of a mega-church in the wealthy, mostly white suburbs of Nashville. When Ethan’s unorthodox style gets him into trouble with church leadership, his senior pastor/father sends him downtown to serve at their sister church, a black congregation in the projects. But things don’t turn out as planned.

http://www.cbn.com/700club/Guests/Bios/2ndchance020206.asp

http://www.thesecondchancemovie.com/_site/

fuzzwuzz
02-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Sony Pictures presents The Second Chance, a new movie from writer/director Steve Taylor starring Michael W. Smith and jeff obafemi carr. It opens this Friday, February 17, 2006 in 35 cities nationwide. In the movie, a white church in a wealthy suburb discovers that its "outreach" to an inner-city black congregation is creating resentment and distrust. This is the story of how a rebellious son and a street-smart pastor attempt to bridge the gap between their churches and their cultures.

See the trailer at thesecondchancemovie.com
Find a theatre at thesecondchancemovie.com/tickets/

YouSoundBitter
02-16-2006, 07:46 AM
Not many places show it but I am planning on seeing it Saturday at the AMC in Downtown Disney (Florida). I am looking forward to it!

fuzzwuzz
02-16-2006, 03:45 PM
Hope you have a good time! Let us know if you liked it! :)

YouSoundBitter
02-16-2006, 07:10 PM
I'll let you know. I have been looking forward to it ever since you posted the news here! (thanks by the way, I probibly would've never know if it was for you!)

fuzzwuzz
02-17-2006, 10:06 AM
have a good time ! :)

fuzzwuzz
02-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Local film explores tough religious issues By Ron Wynn, rwynn@nashvillecitypaper.com
February 17, 2006
The Second Chance, which opens today, is an independent movie filmed at various Nashville locales that poses some tough questions about the role of the church and the true meaning of faith. It also explores the racial religious divide in careful, quite realistic fashion.

Those who attend either urban or suburban churches will recognize how much attention has been paid to everything from the layout of the sanctuaries to the posture of ministers on the pulpit. But at the same time, the film doesn’t diminish or sanitize the ongoing problems plaguing many communities nationwide, and the challenges they pose to ministers whose congregations live in these areas.

Jeremiah Jenkins (J. Don Ferguson) is a larger-than-life figure in world religious circles. He founded the Second Chance Community Church during the Civil Rights era, but has virtually forgotten about it as he travels the world establishing new churches. His son Ethan Jenkins (Michael W. Smith, making his acting debut) is materially successful but spiritually troubled. He operates at The Rock, a mega-church, and is obsessed with turning it into a 21st century religious media giant. Meanwhile, the pastor at Second Chance now is Jake Sanders (jeff obafemi carr). His ministry includes counseling and trying to help unwed teen mothers, drug addicts willing to rob senior citizens and family members in order to feed their habit, and gang members whose demands for respect don’t extend to anyone outside their order.

When Jenkins finally alienates enough members of The Rock’s church board, he’s told to take some time off and do something different. He’s sent to The Second Chance, where he encounters Sanders. Both men share a devout belief, but deeply distrust each other. But thrown together in the trenches on a day-by-day basis, they slowly forge a mutual alliance, overcoming suspicion and hostility while working toward a common bond. They also discover that they’ve become targets despite their good intentions, and now must beat the odds and enable a church on its last legs to experience a genuine revival of the soul and spirit.

The Second Chance does contain some frank language and occasionally disturbing scenes, but nothing that’s not integral to fully and completely relaying the story. The music also communicates both the distinctiveness and flavor of complimentary approaches, mixing contemporary Christian and urban gospel contributions with vintage choral and quartet fare, although music fans are also urged to get the soundtrack and savor the complete musical presentation.

Producer/director Steve Taylor, along with co-writers Chip Arnold and Ben Pearson, has not only gotten good performances from his cast, but also delivered a script and film that doesn’t ignore reality, yet also offers hope and an optimistic vision for the future.
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=12&screen=news&news_id=47910

fuzzwuzz
02-17-2006, 12:22 PM
I used to play his music all the time in the 80's! Full of humor and whit but with a powerful message.

And, if it wasn't for Steve, there would be no Sixpence None the Richer! :)

fuzzwuzz
02-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Nashville actor takes on different challenge in ‘Second Chance’ By Ron Wynn, rwynn@nashvillecitypaper.com
February 17, 2006
Nashville actor, playwright, author and commentator jeff obafemi carr has taken on many challenges in his career, from crafting and presenting the one-man play How Blak Kin Eye Bee where he plays nine characters, to founding and keeping afloat the AmunRa Theatre, a nonprofit organization designed to perform and create original pieces celebrating the diversity and history of the African-American experience.

But in his latest role portraying Jake Sanders in the independent film The Second Chance, carr said that he had to take on some very different and tough new obstacles. The film was shot locally, and audiences may recognize many of the sites and locales.

“For one thing, I didn’t originally think I would be in the film,” carr said. “At first, they asked me just to be a consultant and tell them what I thought about the screenplay, and also maybe provide some tips and assistance to Michael (musician Michael W. Smith, the film’s co-star). So I was brutally honest about everything, especially in terms of the things that were depicting the African-American church and religious experience. I didn’t want people to see things that weren’t real or things that never happened in any black church like you’ve seen in some other recent movies I won’t name. Then it turns out that the people they wanted for a key role weren’t available or they couldn’t come to terms, so I wound up with a central part in the film.”

The interaction between carr and Smith serves as both the central chord for the film and also a key item that may raise considerable discussion within both white and black religious communities, because it depicts the differences and obstacles that frequently prevent these churches from working together.

“One thing that I really admire about the script is that it doesn’t sugarcoat or sanitize the differences in experiences and outlook, but it also doesn’t make it seem that it’s impossible for people of good will to work together. One thing that we’ve discovered in some of the test showings is that the ministers who work in tougher areas see some of the scenes with tough language or violence and they’ll quickly say hey that’s very accurate to what we know. Others might think it’s a bit extreme. But I think that the audience will realize that we’re trying to address issues in a credible manner, but not just hit them over the head with anything either.”

The Second Chance is just one among many other things that keep carr busy these days, including periodic contributions to the roundtable discussions on the National Public Radio program “News and Notes with Ed Gordon.” But right now his prime concern is how The Second Chance will be received nationally.

“There’s an untapped audience out there looking for films that address spiritual issues in a fair and realistic manner,” carr added. “I think that’s what we do with The Second Chance. We depict the real problems that face people of faith, and offer some hope and some solutions.”
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=12&screen=news&news_id=47909

Skywise
02-17-2006, 12:59 PM
it sounds like it'll be a great movie!

fuzzwuzz
02-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Christian singer calls his big-screen acting debut a life-changing experience

BY NICOLE KEIPER
Staff Writer

Madonna did it, and so did Jon Bon Jovi. Beyonce Knowles, too. So why shouldn't Michael W. Smith?

Well, for starters, the "it" here — making the leap from musician to actor — can be a perilous career move (trumped only, maybe, by the one from actor to musician). Beyonce and Bon Jovi have fared pretty well, but then there's Madonna, whose acting career largely gets mentioned as a punch line.

Nashville contemporary Christian music star Smith knows it's dangerous territory, but he's confident in his first feature-length film, The Second Chance, which was filmed in Nashville and opens in select theaters today. He picked a project that, first, fits with his faith — the story revolves around two church pastors in two different communities, with two different ways of serving their congregations.

And, well, he thinks he did a good job, too.

"I've gone through all the cringe parts like every actor does, but I think that's pretty normal," Smith says. "Overall I'm very happy with (my performance), because I think it's very believable. This was a big risk for me — there's a graveyard out there full of musicians trying to turn to actors, and I didn't want to end up in that graveyard. I think a lot of people went in with a lot of speculation, going, 'Is he gonna be able to pull it off?' And you know what? I think I did."

Smith's co-star, Nashville actor/author/playwright and singer Jeff Obafemi Carr, thinks he did, too. Carr wasn't originally slated to play inner-city pastor Jake Sanders alongside Smith's suburban musician/pastor Ethan Jenkins — that role was originally being held for a Hollywood actor, carr says. But he was rehearsing with Smith to help him prepare, starting a good six months before shooting.

When carr was offered the part, those months of preparation turned out to be a help to both of them.

"I was excited to be able to (rehearse) with Michael because he was eager to learn, and he put the solid work ethic that he's employed in the music industry into his acting," carr says. "When I did get offered the role, I think we really developed a good chemistry working together, because we were able to ask the tough questions of our characters, really cut those characters open and lay them flat on the table and discuss their flaws and their virtues and their layers. I think because we were able to develop that rapport, it showed up on film better than it might have if, say, Michael walked into a project with a Hollywood actor coming in cold and not knowing him."

Those layers, too, are part of what both Smith and carr say drew them to the project.

The story, at its core, is a familiar premise: Circumstance injects the complacent, affluent Ethan into the inner-city, where he learns a lot about his own strengths and faults; his inner-city counterpart, Jake, learns the same. But Carr and Smith feel The Second Chance broadens on the premise by leaning on depth and authenticity within the characters and away from stereotype.

"To (director Steve Taylor's) credit, he did not want to go with the standard black/white buddy movie — 'white man comes into the 'hood and saves the day,' " Carr says. "It could have very well gone to that, and the image of the black church could have very well gone toward the stereotype that Hollywood puts on it."

Carr says that keeping away from stereotypes such as "preachers turning back flips and break-dancing at the pulpit" left The Second Chance able "to really be about transformation and reconciliation."

Both actors, too, say working on the film — in particular, filming scenes in a soup kitchen with local homeless people hired as extras — had a transforming effect on their lives.

"This film transformed me in a big way," says carr. "I ran into this one cat (filming the soup kitchen scenes) that I used to look up to when I was in college, and he was there homeless with his son. I'll tell you what, I may have been catching up on the mortgage, but at least I had a mortgage to catch up on. And I may have been eating beans and rice, but at least I had some beans and rice to eat. Moments like that throughout the process just made me assess where I was not only in my life in a financial way, but also in my life in a calling kind of way — it was an affirmation that I should hold on through the dark times."

To Smith, making The Second Chance was "life-changing."

"I'm not like Ethan, because I feel like I have a heart for the poor and I really care what goes on in Africa and there's all these things I'm involved in," Smith says, "but I got on the set and I found out, 'Golly, man, I can do better.' It's easy to write a check. It's a completely different story to get your hands dirty and get in the thick of it."

Smith and Carr hope folks who see the film will leave at most transformed too, at least with some good fodder for debate.

"What happens with this film is everybody leaves with something else," says carr. "Sometimes they agree on things and sometimes they still debate. We've shown it to audiences all over the place and invariably there are people who land on different sides of the issues raised in the film — whether that's experiential learning, cultural differences, communication or the nature of service. And I love a good debate, because a debate is like a workout to a body builder. It's painful but it's going to grow some muscle."

To Smith, making the film was a bit like a workout at first, too — between the heavy emotional content and adjusting to the patience-busting shooting schedule. But in the end, it was one he was glad to have.

"The joke was before the movie, this will either be the first or last movie I ever do," Smith says. "I don't think it's my last." •

http://www.fairviewobserver.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060217/ENTERTAINMENT04/602170354

YouSoundBitter
02-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Well I went to Downtown Disney (also Pleasure Island) AMC and they didn't have it listed today. They were busy so I didn't get a chance to ask. I am pretty disappointed with them, though. And that's the only one that's close to me...Guess I'll try next weekend if I can:-(

fuzzwuzz
02-20-2006, 09:27 PM
from ccm news email:

They're actually predicting snow for us again this evening, but I'm jaded now and don't believe it. :-) Instead, I have plans to take in a movie! What movie would that be? I'm so glad you asked! I'm going to see the new film The Second Chance, starring Michael W. Smith and directed by Steve Taylor. Actually, I was able to catch the premiere of the movie last night in Franklin, TN...and I have only this to say: GO SEE THIS MOVIE! You'll laugh; you'll cry; you'll...well, you get the idea. Seriously, Christian music fans everywhere need to unite and throw support behind this picture! I'm even going a second time (although this movie doesn't need a second chance to grab you!) just to help boost the box office numbers in my own small way!

Check out this email from Steve Taylor:

Those of you who know me, which should be everyone on this list, know that a deficit of talent, aptitude and funding has never stopped me from pursuing a new career.

The latest result opens this Friday, February 17th at a theater quite possibly near you. It's called THE SECOND CHANCE, it's been picked up by Sony Pictures Distribution, and despite my inexperience as a writer/director, it turned out reasonably well due to a number of factors beyond my control.

It's not like you owe me anything just because we're "email pals," but if you go to www.thesecondchancemovie.com you can find out if and where the movie's playing in your area. And I don't expect anyone to drive more than, say, six hours to buy a ticket (even though I'd gladly make the trek for your major motion picture debut).

Feel free to forward this to all your "email pals." I'm told that if enough of you pay to see THE SECOND CHANCE on its opening weekend, you'll send a "message to Hollywood." And if you should neglect to delete my email address when circulating this, you'll send a "message to Steve" to never again mark mass emails as urgent.

Oh, and if a great flick alone wasn't enough, the music is quite good, too! You can check out the CCM review of The Second Chance Original Motion Picture Soundtrack online now!

http://www.ccmmagazine.com/reviews/3471.aspx

fuzzwuzz
02-20-2006, 09:30 PM
http://newsletter.milkmoneypromotions.com/mlm/users/link.php?LinkID=5053&UserID=69101&Newsletter=49&List=6&LinkType=Send

fuzzwuzz
02-23-2006, 01:00 PM
from Billboard's Christian Blog:

The new movie starring Michael W. Smith and jeff obafami carr, directed by Steve Taylor, debuted over the weekend around the country.
'The Second Chance' took in $250,000 playing in 87 theatres over the 4 day holiday weekend, according to Box Office Mojo. That averages out to about $2873 per screen for the PG-13 rated film. Of course, 87 is a miniscule number of screens compared to major releases, but hopefully the buzz will grow and Christian music fans will turn out and support this flick, which will surprise many a skeptic.

fuzzwuzz
02-24-2006, 12:55 PM
The turn out for the opening week of The Second Chance was not as strong as we needed for new theatres in other cities to be able to play the movie. We're asking everyone to go out this weekend and see the movie so we can continue to expand the message of The Second Chance in other cities.

A SPECIAL MESSAGE FROM DIRECTOR STEVE TAYLOR:
This afternoon some of the crew from "The Second Chance" will be taking a group of fifty homeless people living in Nashville shelters to see the movie they worked on as extras. I'd love to take credit for the idea, but it came from our movie's Production Coordinator, who does a lot of work year-round to help our city's poor. It's a nice example of the effect "The Second Chance" has had on all of us who made it.

And it seems to be having an equally powerful effect on people across the country, some of whom are going multiple times and bringing along friends. Here's an email I got from a woman in Indianapolis:

"On Sunday afternoon Larry & I went back to your movie and took two couples. One of the men is director of a national prison ministry and spends multiple days a week ministering to and working with inmates. This man was in tears during the entire latter part of the film. Afterward the six of us stood in an empty theatre hallway and discussed the film, and he talked about how impressed he was with the movie and how it had "absolutely nailed" what life is like along the streets, even to the ethnic mix. He especially enjoyed the bit about the guy praying over the lottery ticket -- "that's SO like what really happens," he laughed, but his eyes were still red from weeping. The other couple, a pastor and his wife, also commented on the way things were depicted and the issues raised. I know you must be swamped with email, but I thought you'd want to know the effect that this film had on people who really deal with some of these issues."

We've seen how "The Second Chance" can have a "viral effect" on those who watch it and want others to share the experience. If you feel the same, I hope you'll send another email or call your friends and remind them that this weekend may be their last chance to see The Second Chance on the big screen!

Skywise
02-24-2006, 09:10 PM
I don't know, I haven't heard of it all all playing in Denver! :(

Vanessa
02-26-2006, 01:01 AM
I saw this movie preview once on tv. It seems like a cool movie! Too bad it's not playing in Maryland.

God and peace
Vanessa :)

fuzzwuzz
02-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Regal Colorado Center
2000 S. Colorado Blvd. C
Denver, CO 80202 303-757-8665

Skywise
02-26-2006, 02:23 PM
hmm- I'll have to check the listings as for when it's playing- it's a theater abotu 20-30 min away from me...

fuzzwuzz
07-11-2006, 09:17 PM
http://www.thesecondchancemovie.com/_newsletters/071106/

Skywise
07-11-2006, 10:56 PM
cool I'll have to check netflix

fuzzwuzz
07-12-2006, 08:39 AM
I've already got it on the very top of my list. :)